Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I've recently started clearing my backlog after not really playing that much for the past few years, but I still have ways to go. I'm going through my disc games first so I can get rid of them, no rush with the digital stuff since I'm not getting either of the next-gen consoles.

So far I've played half an hour of Perfect Dark Zero (holy poo poo that game was so bad), finished Gears of War 2 (much better than 1, but got way worse towards the end), and am currently going through Gears of War 3 (really loving good so far). Next up are Tomb Raider Underworld, Resident Evil 5, and a bunch of jrpgs that are going to take forever (Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey).

I only got the 360 as late as 2009 primarily because I needed something to play new fighting games on with Street Fighter IV coming out and it was the cheaper option (in retrospect this was a mistake in the sense that like 90% of our fighting game scene went PS3), and it really has been a wonderful console. Also had a strangely good shmup selection for a console that didn't do well in Japan, and Mushihime-sama Futari probably ended up being my favorite 360-exclusive game.

Veib fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

and ended up paying many dollars for a really god arcade stick for it as well for that very reason.

Yeah, I've been there as well. I got a MadCatz TE during the SF4 launch craze when they were sold out everywhere constantly. Stick + postage to Finland + customs ended up costing more than the console, but it was very much worth it. This was also the first time I've ever had to use a fax machine, because the US Gamestop webstore wanted me to fax my credit card statement to prove my identity, which I felt was an incredibly archaic way to handle things.

(ps. cool av Ufouria is an amazing game)

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Skychrono posted:

I'm... really interested in how that connection was made.

Through Rumble Roses?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

So I just now got around to play the demo for Asura's Wrath, and, well, what the gently caress? How did I miss this so completely? Is the rest of the game as amazingly over-the-top ridiculous as the demo fights?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

haveblue posted:

If you want a really substantial, polished brawler that also has a ton of crazy poo poo constantly happening around you, play Bayonetta or Revengeance.

I have both already (as well as Vanquish and God Hand for Platinum folks stuff).

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Winter Fresh posted:

I bought Gears 2 so hopefully it's as good as the first one.

I played Gears 1 years ago, and 2 and 3 a few weeks ago. I thought 1 was garbage, 2 was good but dropped in quality towards the end, and 3 was loving amazing all the way through.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I wanted a new console to play new fighting games on (it was 2009 and Street Fighter IV had just come out), and the 360 was much cheaper than PS3. Also my ex wanted to play Viva Piñata.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Actually the best hockey game is Blades of Steel simply because you only got a penalty when you lost a fight. That's like some PG-13 version of Rollerball-style gladiator arena sports poo poo.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My favourite thing about the Gears trilogy is imagining legions of dudebros pretending they have something in their eye in 3 when Dom dies.

The music choice for that part made it so goddamn out of place fake-dramatic and dumb I had to pause the game because I was laughing so hard. I really liked the game (didn't like GW1, 2 was a lot better but I felt it got boring and repetitive towards the end), but that scene just didn't work at all as a super serious plot point in a game like that.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

ixnay posted:

The music was a callback to an ad for the original game but yeah, it was so over-the-top dumb that I laughed at it, too.

Yeah I know, and that didn't really help at all.

Now if it was the original Tears for Fears version of the song however...

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Anime_Otaku posted:

Little advice Re: the Sega sale, if you fancy a version of VF5 don't get Final Showdown, spend the extra couple of pennies on the other VF5 which actually has more content like an "arcade" mode where you go around town challenging different A.I. Players with tournaments and stuff.

Except if you actually care about fighting games beyond their single player modes, then it's the other way around. VF5 is 7 years and two versions old, while Final Showdown is the newest and best one and has two more characters.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Is there a reason to ever play both Dead Rising 2 and Off the Record? If not, which one is the one to get, ie. is Off the Record just the same game but improved? I've never played a Dead Rising game, so the different main characters mean nothing to me.

e: Oh hey thanks to the exciting world of digital pricing of console games OtR is also cheaper than 2, which in turn is cheaper than 1.

Veib fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 5, 2014

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Alteisen posted:

If you still haven't played Gears 3 by now, it is currently the staggering sum of 4 dollars at gamestop.

I bought it at Gamestop for 4€ last year. I was originally going to buy just Gears 2 (for 7€), but since 3 was the cheaper of the two I ended up picking up both and then playing them back to back.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

i was glad to discover panzer dragoon orta works on my 360 and is still one of the best games ever

Not if you're in Europe though, our version crashes after the third level. I currently have an OG Xbox I got for free just for that game.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Europeans were luckier(?) as D3 and 505 published quite a few of them there.

I bought a few of them back then because gently caress yeah weird stupid Japanese games. Out of the ones I played the only one that's any good at all is The Zombie vs. Ambulance, released in Europe under the much more boring title Zombie Virus. You drive over zombies with an ambulance, save survivors, and upgrade your ambulance to be more efficient in driving over zombies. It even has boss battles.

Seriously the game is called The Zombie vs. Ambulance what is there not to like (the game is from 2006 so zombies had not yet oversaturated all of video gaming).

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

quote, edit, etc.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I played one of the Shenmue games (2 or 3? it had Jean Reno and a Samurai, iirc) and had a lot of fun with them. If oldstyle Resident Evil type gameplay and controls don't bother you, it's still a fun story.

You're talking about Onimusha 3, which is a very different game from Shenmue.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Anime_Otaku posted:

I'm enjoying Tomb Raider, is the DLC all Multiplayer skins and stuff of that nature or is there some single player content too?

There's one new single player area, Tomb of the Lost Adventurer. It's ok but it's like ten minutes long and not at all important, just some extra xp/salvage.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Does the 360 version of Terraria have anything the PC one doesn't that makes it worth playing if I already have the PC version?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The Xbox indie marketplace also straight up doesn't exist in some European countries, so if you don't already know about it and also know how to make an account for a different region you'll never even get to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I didn't like Gears 1 at all, but I played 2 and 3 years later and really liked both of them, especially 3 (except that loving Mad World scene where I had to pause the game because I was laughing too hard, jesus christ who the gently caress writes ridiculous garbage like that). I thought I wanted to play 1 again just to make sure, but now I'm trying to play through Judgement and really don't care for it at all so maybe I should just let Gears of War be.

• Locked thread