Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If that happens, they should at least make the system to any size data storage. Of course, once MS stops officially caring about the thing it'll be open season for homebrewers and pirates so you'll probably be able to get back whatever you lost one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ape Agitator posted:

I think with real software development effort they can address a lot of stuff and hopefully make the HDMI In situation a stronger case for the people interested in it. If they could figure out a way to integrate a cable box's DVR into their interface I think it would go a long, long way.

They sort of had that on the 360 with the Media Center Extender functionality, with an HDHomeRun connected to my LAN to use a cablecard and a PC with Media Center to distribute the signal and record the shows I've been using my 360 as a cable box for the last year or so and it works better than any box the cable company has given me, without the need to run cables everywhere to boot.

With all the focus on a singular entertainment solution they've been trying to push with Xbone, you'd think they'd maybe improve on a winning formula and iron out the kinks that the previous setup had. But no, of course they didn't put Media Center on it and you have to pay $10 AND have the "pro" version of Win 8 to even get the goddamn media center on there. I guess they assume that carrier-specific apps like the Xfinity / Fios ones on 360 will fill that niche although there are plenty of people that are not on either of those carriers and from what I used of the Fios app at my parents' place, those apps are gigantic pieces of poo poo anyway.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

You guys sure know to make a man feel old.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mercury Crusader posted:

I have one of those last wave of 360 Arcades right before they released the S models. I haven't had any issues with it so far, though I haven't played it for prolonged periods of time like with my first one. Would there be a reason for me to upgrade to an S model? As in, will the model I have now fail on me as badly as the launch versions?

Probably not, my 2009 Arcade is still going strong, and while I don't play it nearly as much since I got a Slim, my kids still do and it's survived them putting quarters in the drive slot.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, if you liked Katamari Damacy then you'll definitely want to get Beautiful Katamari, I played the poo poo out of that game. I'm not sure about now but when I got it a couple of years ago, the GOD version was the cheapest I could find at $20. I recall people on the internet raged about it when it first came out because of all the ~*~on disc DLC~*~ but they're only a dollar each and there's 5 or 6 of them. I thought it was a pretty complete game without them anyway.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I was excited about 50% off Rayman Legends until I saw that that's still $30 :/ Guess I'll hold out for the winter sale on Steam, since they've already had it on sale for less than that.

Dragon's Dogma I've wanted to play for a while though, think I might jump on that one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Yep! The current version on consoles is still very good. Just something to consider if you do want RoS eventually.

If any of you have the PC version too, and you haven't been keeping up to date on what has been happening, patch 2.0 goes up on the PTR by the end of the year and adds many of the features that make the console version so good, plus a bunch of other really cool stuff like adventure mode, which lets you bypass the storyline.

So does it make it so you don't have to rely on the auction house for good items and not load the game remotely and the other less... good stuff I've heard about the PC version?

MZ posted:

I know I'm like, a year late with this, but just finished The Walking Dead and seriously holy poo poo! I mean the 'game' part of the game is fairly weak but I don't think I've ever been so sucked into the story, some of the choices were really tough. Season 2 launches next month right?

I don't know about season 2, but don't forget about the DLC that bridges the seasons.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I should probably play through Psychonauts when that re-release comes out, right? I've been hearing goons praise the game for years, but I only played the demo of it on PC, never the full game. I don't even really remember if I liked the demo or not anymore, honestly. 2005 seems like so long ago.

I frequently see it on Steam sales for less than $10, though, so maybe I should just buy it on PC.

Hell, I frequently see it on Steam sales for less than $2.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

When I went to Walmart at 2am last night there were a bunch of unwanted, unloved Asscreed3's marked down to $5.

Captain Keekles posted:

I still get a little hope every other week that the announcement of upcoming sales on XBL won't suck, even though I realistically should have given up a couple years ago.

The sales around Black Friday / Christmas have been pretty good the last couple of years. The rest of the year though, the Deals of the Week are usually total garbage, not that XBLA's offerings itself are all that great these days either.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 29, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rapdawg posted:

So I got Bejeweled 3 due to Sim City and EA stuff and it is a bit unrelated but is the game good and is it good if me and my roommate want to go head to head? I would totally buy it cheap on XLA if it is a good game just to solve arguments with "gently caress you, loser does dishes."

I don't think Bejeweled 3 has a head-to-head multiplayer mode.
However Kennyman is 100% correct, Mount Your Friends is a game that nobody who has a 360 should go without.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Crowetron posted:

I'm catching up on my backlog and am currently trying to actually finish Sleeping Dogs this time, so I figured I'd ask about the DLC. I already bought the kung fu tournament one because why wouldn't I, but are any of the others worth grabbing?

Nightmare in North Point and Year of the Snake are, to my recollection. I think the Cop and Triad packs are too, because they give you good cars and each one has a rail shooting section that you can use to gain experience.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

pvax posted:

Damnit - I hate when they don't include the DLC in these promos. All i wanted was some cheap Dark Souls DLC. I wish DLC had a sort of default 'curve' to it's pricing over time - like it dropped by 25 percent every 6 months or something.

Not specific to DkS, but it's really silly when you can buy a 'full' game for 5 or 10 bucks and then see that it has 20 or 30 dollars worth of DLC!!!

And now you know the reason why DLC is so prominent these days.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Farecoal posted:

Battleblock Theater is amazing if you have friends to play it with

Unfortunately it's pretty much the opposite of amazing if you don't. The story mode cutscenes are pretty amusing though.
It seems to be popular with kids from the small sample size I had at Thanksgiving.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shalinor posted:

The second you link up with Cole Train, the bad dialog becomes instantly forgiveable / maybe even a net positive.

Though I never could get into the gameplay. Was fun in co-op at least.

It's a shame he'll be remembered more as Cole Train than Terry Tate, Office Linebacker.

My co-op experience with Gears of War ended about five minutes after it began, when my wife was traumatized by the hanging flayed bodies in the tutorial level.
We had fun hi-fiving and slamming beers playing Army of Two, though (and really, mass quantities of beer are so required to play that game that they should include a six-pack with the game).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

flatluigi posted:

Anyone pick up Clash of Heroes when it was free and want to play multiplayer at some point? All I've got left in it are the achievements for winning a 1v1 and a 2v2 match which wouldn't be hard if everyone left playing it wasn't loving hardcore at it.

I think the 2v2 one is the only one I need. I've only won one multiplayer match to get the 1v1 achievement and it was a lucky strike with that one monster that can one-shot your opponent. I think I gained like 30 levels from winning it.

Beat that final boss on my first try though :c00lbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Winter Fresh posted:

Is Scott Pilgrim vs. The World any good? Thinking about buying it for 2.50

It's good for $2.50, yeah. I didn't think it was nearly as good if you only play it single player though, and about 50-75% through you'll be leveled up to the point where you can drop bosses with one punch, but it scratches the beatemup itch pretty well.

TenTwelveTwelve posted:

You should give Call of Juarez Gunslinger a try then. Not as funny, but a lot of fun. On sale this week for $3.74.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Call-of-Juarez-Gunslinger/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584112b0?cid=SLink

This is a must-buy, people. Gunslinger is easily the best FPS I've played this year. It's something like what Red Dead Redemption would be if it was a linear FPS. I bought it on Steam last summer but for $3.74 I might consider buying it again for the 360.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Somebody please explain to me what the hell I am supposed to be doing in duels so I can finish this goddamn game. Any duels I have finished previously have been by total accident.

Adjust your sight (left stick) to keep it on your opponent's face to increase your accuracy and keep your hand hovered over your shootin' piece (right stick) to increase your draw speed. When you see the other guy go for his gun, pull yours as quick as you can and then you aim with right stick and dodge with left stick.

Or you can just shoot the fucker right off before he even has a chance at drawing. They may call you a "coward" but they won't be calling you dead.

If you mean the Mexican Standoff then you have to do the same thing, but use LB and RB to look back and forth to see who's looking back at you so you can shoot them first, then turn to shoot the other guy.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 10, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Relin posted:

What's a good computer adapter cable for a wireless 360 controller? Preferably wireless itself

Why don't you just buy the official dongle? They're pretty easy to come by on ebay. If you can't be bothered to do that, there's plenty of chinese knockoffs on Amazon.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MZ posted:

There was a lot of hate for the game when it was released because it just wasn't really a "Doom" game at all - that and people were expecting the second coming of Christ. I thought it was a good game on its own merits, just forget it has anything to do with the Doom franchise.

I was expecting something more than a flashlight simulator with a PDA hunting minigame and mild spider-shooting action elements. You know, the second coming of Christ.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hat Thoughts posted:

Sleeping Dogs is a lot more fun than GTA 5, this is my honest opinion and I believe it with all my heart.

GTA 5 is impressive because there's an incredible amount of detail, you can golf, play tennis, whatever there's so much detail. But the problem I have with them is that they're just not very good or interesting to the player beyond "I can do that" The thing that makes me like Sleeping Dogs so much more is it seems that they put all the polish in things designed around making the game more enjoyable for the player. Even the goofy karaoke minigame is leagues ahead of any of the distractions in GTA 5

That's pretty damning to GTA5, because god drat is that karaoke minigame terrible.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

beerinator posted:

I'm planning to pick up an xbox 360 over the next week or two.

I have recently created another live account (my last one was with the first xbox and it seems to have disappeared). Can I just buy these games from the xbox website and they'll be available for download when I get my console?

Also, if I go ahead and buy a Xbox Live Gold, it'll stack with my free month from purchasing the console I'm assuming, just like it says in the OP?

Yes and yes.

crowfeathers posted:

You can, though I think you'll have to be online when you play them until you can get your licenses transferred to the new console (call MS support when you get the console, they'll sort you out)

The licenses will apply to the first console he downloads them to. So if he's never had an xbox 360 with that account before he should be fine.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

Wow they sure went crazy with the DLC for HD didn't they? Maybe I'll finally pick up the vanilla game at least, despite peoples warnings. I love me some Castlevania.

gently caress LOS though. That game gets zero dollars from me.

If you really, truly love Castlevania, then you will stay far away from Harmony of Despair or whatever that piece of poo poo was called.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dross posted:

If you want a rich multiplayer experience with Castlevania HD on XBL, you're three years too late.

Which also makes an only 50% sale pretty bad.

In its heyday though, the DLC was absolutely worth it.

The multiplayer experience was pretty poo poo even in its heyday, if you didn't spend all your waking hours grinding up the best gear, then everyone else who did (and everyone else always did) would just zoom ahead of you at 100 miles an hour destroying and looting everything before you could even get to see it, and the boss would be dead before you even got halfway there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Which is ironic considering the number of people crying about how it wasn't enough like Rapture when it came out, and of course the people that still can't loving let go of System Shock 2.

Abu Dave posted:

I was disheartened to learn the Kinect is still $100; but I quickly saw that a shitload of the games can be had for under $10. That said, what are the best games for a kid thats like 2 years old? I picked up Kinectimals and Sesame Street TV for him, are there any others?

Fruit Ninja, my kids loved that when they were 2.
If there's time I'm sure you can find a Kinect on ebay or even SA-Mart for under $50.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 21, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

coyo7e posted:

Well I guess it doesn't matter because some fat british chick somehow got my netflix info (and then brilliantly linked her own facebook page to my account,) and now I can't watch movies for "1 to 8 hours" while all device permissions are revoked so I can reset it. :argh:

You have awful luck with security breaches, man.
Anyway, if they set up Netflix anything like Windows Media Center then you may be able to use the right stick to play (RS right) and stop (RS left).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Figures that Ducktales goes on sale hours after I bought it on a Steam flash sale.

shagster104 posted:

I played the demo of plants vs zombies before and it didn't really appeal to me. But holy hell I have been playing it about 2 hours now. It gets so addicting after a couple levels. If anyone hasn't played it yet, it's definitely worth the $1.50.

Same with me, I played the demo and the web version back when they came out and was like "man this poo poo is stupid", but I got the full version as part of a bundle and man, they really got the whole stringing-you-along-to-play-one-more-level thing down to a science with that game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Alteisen posted:

A much better game than the recent reboot.

Well the recent reboot was pretty damned good so I guess I'll have to go back and check that one out as well!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

pvax posted:

The Wolf Among Us Season Pass has been cut to $10 and the first episode is still free. Half off the series before the second episode has come out - that's pretty sweet.

Guess that shows me for buying the whole thing after playing the first episode. "It's way too soon, no way would they discount it for Christmas," thought foolish past me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I just ordered Rocksmith 2014 off Amazon today myself, so if you get your hands on one for cheap I'll buy it off you when you're done with it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

O__O posted:

How is it mysoganistic?

Is that even a word??

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

These are surprisingly good offerings, but unfortunately once again I already have both of them. I have Sleepy Dogs on PC though, so no reason not to grab the 360 version. You should definitely get it if you've never played it before.

KennyMan666 posted:

That's not a bad GwG offering at all. I... never actually played any Tomb Raider games before.

Guardian of Light is not a Tomb Raider game in the traditional sense, but it is a very good game and you can play it co-op with someone else.

Orgophlax posted:

Guess I'll try asking here: Downloaded The Wolf Among Us on XBLA since it was free, and I'm hooked. Unfortunately it has terrible stuttering issues, especially near the end of the first episode. Failed almost every QT action in the final fight at the bar because of it. Is the PC version any better?

That's odd, I don't remember any stuttering with mine. Could it have anything to do with your model 360?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If you need a month of gold, then proceed right this way: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567255&pagenumber=2

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Clamknuckle posted:

IMHO Marvel Lego is the best Lego game so far.

Truth. As for the others, I think Pirates, LOTR, Batman 2, Indiana Jones 1, and Star Wars: TCS are the next best, followed by the Harry Potters. All the others you can probably safely skip. If you have a choice you should probably get them on PC too, since the frame rates and loading times have gotten gradually worse on the 360 versions.

petewhitley posted:

Man I really, really want to say thanks. I mindlessly paid for Xbox Live for 7 or 8 years, and realized this summer when mine ran out that I hadn't actually used it in ages. However, by letting it lapse I couldn't download any new fake fighters in my wrasslin' games, couldn't download stupid cartoon decals in my racing games, etc. etc. I've missed these things but they sure aren't worth $60 just to spend a few hours online once every six months. But this worked for me, I spent this afternoon downloading a bunch of ridiculous user-generated content, realized that GTAV online does in fact suck, and to top it off I'm getting a free copy of Sleeping Dogs tomorrow. Thanks so much for linking to that thread, I would have never found it otherwise.

Glad I could help :)
I've been considering dropping Gold for good myself but every now and then I actually have a decent use for it / desire to play online and I can usually find a deal for $20-$30 at some point during the year. No way in hell would I ever pay full price for it, though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 31, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nibbles141 posted:

Is there some must have DLC's for Sleeping Dogs? I remember people saying there's one or two you should definitely get before starting the game.

I wouldn't really say any of them are "must haves," but the only DLCs with content are Year of the Snake, Zodiac Tournament, and Nightmare in North Point and they're all a pretty decent play. The others are mostly cosmetic crap for the base game, of which I'd say only Triad Enforcer and Deep Undercover are worthwhile because they give you nice fast cars and side missions you can play to boost your Cop / Triad XP.

Keep in mind that I probably wouldn't have gotten any of them if it weren't for the steam sale where the DLC was all on sale for the change you could find in your couch.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 1, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

coyo7e posted:

Just heard from someone else that their netflix account seems to have been hacked, you may want to change your password if you've got Netflix. Luckily when I dealt with it, their customer service were able to manually remove the device which had linked to my account, and my login info hadn't been changed so I just switched passwords.

Just went on Netflix today to watch something on my laptop while I set up a new PC, and got the "your account is on too many devices" screen, one of the accounts being on a PS3... problem being that I do not own a PS3. Called support and surprise surprise, it was owned by someone in England! According to them they were unaware of any security breach coming from England though, and said they'd "keep a watch out for it" which probably means "won't really do poo poo about it."

Now it's giving me the "too many devices" message on my laptop but not on my desktop... this is goddamned bizarre.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Did anyone else get a beta invite for Project Spark? I don't remember applying for one but it seemed like a pretty cool game from what they showed at E3.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ape Agitator posted:

I got one but my laptop is on the bottom edge of minimum requirements and that's likely to frustrate me. If anyone wants my beta code, pm me.

I know someone who might want it, I pmed you with their username.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

haveblue posted:

I never had any bugs like that, and it's still fundamentally a Halo game so it's still fun to shoot things in giant sci-fi rooms. The story, though, is a complete shitpile that throws out the original Halo background and replaces it with retcons and references to the tie-in novels.

They also sort of ruined multiplayer by replacing weapon pickups with loadouts and killstreaks, but I never played it much.

For me there was nothing less fun than having to shoot at The Flood But Somehow Even Worse monsters, I forget their names.

I didn't have much of an issue with multiplayer beyond the usual "people vote for boring, wide open levels where you get sniped from a mile away, and if they don't and you don't have the Battle Rifle in your loadout then gently caress you." Regicide was a pretty goddamned fun mode though.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Halo Reach was the best one of all of them in terms of both campaign and multiplayer.

It really was, it was the first one I really played outside of the rare "what the gently caress is this poo poo" matches of the other games at someone else's house so I feel like it really ruined me on the other inferior games in the series.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 8, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, Horizon is what you're looking for if you want a more "casual" experience (and a really stupid story mode), 4 is what you want if you just want to get cars and drive them. I was kind of disappointed with how they control with a wheel though, if my actual car drove like its equivalent in Forza I would have killed myself several times over.

Christoff posted:

I haven't played a MGS since PS1 and even then I wasn't too into the sneak around gameplay etc. From what I understand Rising is just some sort of ridiuclous hack 'n slash? Any RPG elements? Only $20 on amazon...

I got it on Steam and yes, it's totally worth it. You'll want to check out the thread about it though, because despite the tutorial the game doesn't like to tell you things like "how not to get hosed up by every enemy you come across until you ragequit the game" and those few little things are the difference between "gently caress this stupid game" and "goddamn I'm an awesome loving robot ninja."

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 13, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Douche4Sale posted:

I got it last time it was on sale for $5, despite my misgivings that I wouldn't enjoy it, due to the unending praise it gets. I ended up hating it and wasting $5. I've wasted more money on stupider stuff so no big deal, but if you had a reason you were avoiding it or not thinking you would like it then your $5 might be better spent elsewhere.

What have you done?

Do you realize what you have done with this post?!

I can hear a thousand ham fingers mashing a thousand keyboards at this very moment... oh god...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If you want to play a Halo game, then play Halo: Reach and forget all the others existed. Anyone that tells you otherwise has serious nostalgia goggles, or in the case of Halo 4, just plain bad taste.

RBA Starblade posted:

If we're including arcade games then Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a must buy. Best platformer I've ever played.

Not Rearmed 2 though, that's poo poo.

• Locked thread