Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Tgent posted:

Can I get that Dragon's Dogma deal from Amazon in Australia or are the codes region locked or something.

Those deals are through the Xbox live website and dashboard...so no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Dark Souls for 5 bucks? I might actually have to play it now.

I got it last time it was on sale for $5, despite my misgivings that I wouldn't enjoy it, due to the unending praise it gets. I ended up hating it and wasting $5. I've wasted more money on stupider stuff so no big deal, but if you had a reason you were avoiding it or not thinking you would like it then your $5 might be better spent elsewhere.

I'm excited that the D&D game finally went on sale; I'd been waiting for that!

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

raditts posted:

What have you done?

Do you realize what you have done with this post?!

I can hear a thousand ham fingers mashing a thousand keyboards at this very moment... oh god...

No, I realize that I am probably everything that is wrong with video games today and am okay with that. It was more that I intentionally bought something that I was 99% certain I wouldn't like just because it was cheap (alas, no demo) and I was hoping to help prevent someone from making the same mistake...

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

homewrecker posted:

Man, it's times like this that make me wish I had Mass Effect 3 for 360, so I could buy some of the DLC at a discount. Although it does kind of suck that the only story DLC they're putting on sale is Citadel, but then again I hear that's the best one.

Anyway, I've been on a third-person shooter kick lately so I started playing through Gears of War (1), doing a solo run of the campaign on Hardcore. I didn't try Casual because I thought it would be too easy, but Hardcore is such a slog. I don't like how most of the enemies are bullet sponges that don't seem to flinch even when you're spraying them with bullets. I'm already in act 4 so I think I'll try to finish the game on Hardcore but when I start playing Gears of War 2, I'm considering just going through it on the easiest difficulty if it's just going to be the same thing.

All the others have already gone on sale in the past, so it's nice that Citadel finally went on sale too.

Yeah, the Gears games are somewhat disappointing in that difficulty basically just increases enemy health and damage. Focusing on active reloads and headshots can make them feel less spongy, but it's still pretty bad. I wouldn't recommend playing above normal (casual always felt way too bland) solo. THe higher difficulties tend to make things more exciting in co-op because longer encounters mean more running around rescuing each other and shenanigans.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

MZ posted:

Man I must have been the only one who didn't like ODST, I thought it was bland, boring and really generic.

I felt the same way my first time through. However, I was playing it on co-op while drinking and we were running and gunning like we had in other Halo games. It left me feeling sort of meh. However, I played it solo later and followed the story more closely (listening to audio logs, taking in the atmosphere more) and found it to be much more enjoyable the second time around.

It really doesn't feel like a Halo game, for better or worse, so that may lead to a more polarizing reaction. I thought it was an interesting change-up, but I wouldn't want all Halo games to suddenly play like that.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

owl_pellet posted:

So how was the original FarCry? Apparently it is coming out on XBLA. I loved the hell out of FarCry 3 and Blood Dragon. I never played 2, but the goon reaction to that seemed positive even with some big flaws.

Keep in mind these are my memories from when it came out (10? years ago). It was exciting at the time because of the large open spaces, fancy graphics, and options of engaging enemies in a variety of manners. It was also notoriously criticized because halfwayish through the game you stop fighting soldiers that had varied and interesting AI and fight godawful monster/alien things that were mindless bullet sponges.

I can't honestly say it would fare very well in comparison to Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon at this point, aside from nostalgia. Unless they make a lot of changes in updating it to make it more like the current games.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

ZeeBoi posted:

I don't see any visible scratches and I tried cleaning it with a microfiber cloth. Sadly no dice. The install fails at exactly 3%.

I may see if a nearby game store resurfaces discs or something. But I do think I'm reactivating my game access account to get a working fourth disc...

No joke, I've had success with dipping my disc in boiling water before...

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

What are people's thoughts on Darkness 2 and Prototype 2, based on the fact that I enjoyed the first in each series? More of just the same or worthwhile evolutions/ upgrades from the first?

Also how is Viking as a cheap hack and slash (a la Conan)?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Prototype 2 is... so it's a way better game, but I felt way worse about playing it. The "hero" is a GIANT douche, and basically out-douches Alex Mercer to the point that even Mercer thinks he's a giant douche. But you're supposed to root for him and play him, even though I hated him. So I guess it's better than Prototype 1, IF you can ignore that.

Viking is fantastic, and way better than Conan. It's low budget, but clearly had a few developers on it that loved the project. It's a steal for that price.

I think I'm dropping the hammer on THPS HD. I know, I know, people don't like the physics, but I enjoyed the demo, and for $5, that looks fun.

ZeeBoi posted:

Darkness 2 is cool. More abilities with the darkness l and the game is fun.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. Microsoft's sales lately have been so much better (the bar was pretty low though). Definitely has left me with quite a backlog of stuff to play through.

I hope these better style sales continue and aren't just a last ditch effort at the end(ish) of the 360's life.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

flatluigi posted:

Oh hey, another completely terrible rewards idea!

This might not be too awful if it goes retroactive, but right now it absolutely isn't and I doubt it will given every other rewards incentive.

It's an absolute joke of a reward. If I spend $50 on season passess they give me $5? I used to actually get reward points pretty consistently through promotions, %purchase credits, and monthly surveys. Ever since they switched to the new system, it has been atrocious and not worth any time or effort. Not to mention that rewards credits get deposited to your account and can only be spent on the console and not the web interface.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Cannot Find Server posted:

This was the one problem with the game. I hope when they get around to making Just Cause 3, taking out military installations will actually help with this and whatnot.

I've actually noticed a similar problem in sleeping dogs, unless it changes more as you progress through the game. Not sure the exact ties, but the Rico outfit I have suggests some sort of relation...

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

univbee posted:

You can try a service like followthatpage.com and set it to alert you if the price field changes. I haven't actually tested if this works, mind you, but something like that in theory should do it. I've also been waiting for Shadow Complex to go on sale but it hasn't budged ever that I can remember.

http://xbldb.com/offers/002-56e

A couple of times, but no price changes in years.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is Resident Evil 4 on sale often? I'd like to pick it up, but I've already played through it on the GameCube a few times and $20 is a bit high for a re-purchase for me right now.

A couple of times: http://xbldb.com/offers/003-c12 , but not "often" like Borderlands/Risk/etc.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Then they'd need some actual writing and not comedic pastiche in the school of ***** then, because idgaf at all about Borderlands, and I'd be hard-sold to want a sequel unless they actually throw up some mega-rear end "borderworlds" stuff a la Neverwinter Nights.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that most people are playing the borderlands games for the gameplay (Diablo with guns) and not deep writing and sophisticated comedy. Given the reception and success for the first couple of games, I would be shocked if gearbox deviates from their formula, no matter how sophomoric it is.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

ChibiSoma posted:

What happens in the end of Deadlight? Because I find it hard to believe any game can have an ending dumber than Limbo.

Dust is up, by the way. Had to manually navigate to it since XBL was still showing Deadlight, but it's listing as free, so they just haven't updated the main pages.

The main character (who has been looking for his wife and daughter the whole game) and a girl he rescues gets cornered on a pier by a horde of zombies. She begs him to shoot and kill her before the zombies get her and he has a flashback and remembers that zombies cornered him and his wife and daughter in their house and he only had 2 bullets and his wife begged him to kill them to spare them the pain of becoming a zombie. So he kills his wife and daughter and then somehow escapes the zombies and mentally blocks out what he did and uh goes in search of his wife and daughter. Back on the pier he makes a grandiose speech about how you have to fight and can't give up and that you must live and then cuts a hole in the pier, letting the girl fall into the water and get in a boat to sail away. Then disregarding everything he just said, he turns around and charges to his death in the zombie horde...

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Dross posted:

You clearly did not get very far into the game. And you're describing sidequests. gently caress sidequests, just follow the main plot. It's easy to tell which quests are which by the minimap icons.

Yeah there was a very prominent main plot. In fact, the most frequent criticism is that there was too much main plot that drug on and on, not that there wasn't a main plot.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It was impressive back in the day, even if it is the distilled essence of improbably musclebound gruff Unreal BADASSERY. The cover mechanic really was interesting and new back then, and the combat has a nice chunky feel to it. I never played past GOW2.

This. It isn't a game that holds up new all that well, but was fun and felt "fresh" at the time. It also continued the tradition of Halo from the original Xbox of being a great local/online co-op series for playing through the campaign. The only way to play it is with a friend in co-op, while you both roll from cover to cover trying to instagib/chainsaw enemies while laughing. I can't imagine it being very fun to play by yourself, for the first time in 2014, with the expectations of a serious/smart game.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Geez, I only played about 3-4 hours of it, but Destiny feels really soulless and derivative. I mean I understand developers have influences and styles, but having it immediately start up and have you constantly accompanied by a floating orb robot was fairly eye-roll worthy.

Maybe things will open up a bit more later on (I guess I've only played 5 levels), but the environments, enemies, and weapons feel so blase. I mean you have your aliens with 3 different types that shoot at you (cough covenant), then you have your rabid aliens that charge and melee you (cough flood). Plus, I understand they were going for a more MMO/Borderlands style world, but the downside of that it a lot of backtracking and revisiting the same areas (does Bungie still not remember the criticism for reusing levels like the Library in reverse?) and it suffers even more when the areas are boring, sparse, brown wastelands and sewers/underground tunnels. I mean part of what made Borderlands work was the quirky weirdness/humor of the levels, enemies, characters, and weapons.

The amount of loading going on was pretty bad too. Load times felt long and doing anything requires multiple load screens. Leave hub (load screen) select level (load screen) play level (load screen) etc.

I just unlocked the multiplayer before going to bed, so maybe that will appeal more, but for wanting to get away from Halo so they could make something new and different, Bungie sure did turn in what feels like a run of the mill Halo clone. I mean, there are so many options (practically infinite) with scifi that it is dissapointing to see them basically slap a coat of paint on Halo and call it something else. Maybe some of these aren't design decisions but just reflective of the opening levels. However, if anything Bungie games have opened with really strong levels and given the starting tone an "epic space opera" type feel.

Also, holy crap moving around the hub and some other design elements remind me of wandering around the hub of Too Human, and any game that draws comparisons or reminders to Too Human is a game that has made a serious mistake.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

raditts posted:

It amazes me that people are still surprised to learn that Bungie is only capable of making the same game over and over.

Yeah, but I always heard that the excuse for that was that Microsoft was riding them like the cash cow they were and wasn't allowing them the freedom to diversify and follow their inspiration and true vision and other cliches. Then, they get practically a blank check from Activision and the chance for a fresh start and make HaloLands. It's just sort of baffling.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Housh posted:

How is BattleBlock Theatre? My nephews loved Castle Crashers.

Also, anyone have any Gold trial codes kicking around? ;)

Free trials for gold do not give you the free games with gold privileges, if I catch your drift.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

der juicen posted:

Boo I wont be playing destiny thanks to the usual bs control options. Was really looking forward to it as well.

Other gripes I had aside, I thought they had a fair number. What didn't you like? Lack of a total remapping option?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:toot: Been wanting to try Viva Pinata forever. Just never got around to it, despite seeing it for $5 at Gamestop. Is this the sequel, and if so, is it as good as the first one that I also never played?

Sequel, and while I've only played the first, I've heard this one is much better.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've never played a Red Faction game in any capacity, and am confused, because I thought they were RTS games.

They started as FPS with the gimmick of completely destructible environments. The idea being "I could try to find a keycard to open this door or I could pull out my rocket launcher and blow the door open". The idea, while ambitious, wasn't greatly executed, most likely due to hardware limitations at the time. Still, they were a neat idea and multiplayer was hilarious.

Guerilla, the free game next month, is a departure and more of a third-person, open-world game where you smash and blow things up in the world while completing missions for various people. It actually leverages some of the technological advancements and does a much better job of the whole "destroy everything" concept and is definitely worth playing around with.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck. Does the DLC for Alan Wake expand on the Mr. S̨̳̫̹̯̦̹̋̀͐ͦ̏̋̓̅̈ͬ̃́͒͊ͩ̃̕ͅc̵̴̻͕̭̒̔ͦ̽͗ͪͩ̐̄ͮͯ͑̀ͩ̋̀͒͞͝r̸̀ͥͧ̆͆̆ͩ̓͌̑͒̽͂̆̉̒ͭͭ̕҉͎͖͈̝͕̣̖̩̝̻͍͚͔a̗̯͎̺̻͑̑̈̓͆̆̋͐̊̇̾̆͘͡t̽̿̅ͪ̉ͨ̓͌͏̬̤̺̝͈̭̥̺͙͓̬̹͔̠̣̟̭͟c̯̥̹͈̥̼̦̠̙̦̝̬̜̥̻̟͗ͤͯ̓͑͂ͮ̔ͣ̄͂͂͜͡h̼̪̣̘̠̦̙̱̹̻̱̣̰̝̼̙͇̓̎ͧͧͪ̋̀̚͟͠͝ thing or is that just a loose end?

It deals pretty directly with him and wraps up that loose end pretty significantly. It does end on sort of a cliffhanger/new direction for the potential (but unlikely) sequel.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Shoot, you guys are right, it was American Nightmare that had all the Mr scratch stuff. It's been awhile and most of the alan wake game/dlc/arcade "sequel" blur together.

Honestly, none of it was superb unless you get it for cheap or loved the alan wake gameplay. You can probably YouTube the important bits if you really care.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

How'd you do this?
Because bravo.

Also I feel I may die before I ever finish Skyrim.

Quote his post and you can see.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

FuSchnick posted:

Just a heads up, if you have Gold you can now "purchase" your free GwG Xbox One titles from the 360 now.

You're welcome!

Cool, I just did it from the dashboard today and wondered if this was always something I could have done or a new feature. Now I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

The Zombie Guy posted:

I haven't heard of any of these games. Anything to get excited about?

Feels like the GwG program is scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the 360. I've been hoping to get Far Cry 3 or Red Dead Redemption as part of the program, but it seems that the AAA games are few and far between.

Didn't they announce all 360 GwG games going forward would be backwards compatible on the one? That likely limits the already limited choices they have...

• Locked thread