Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
It's been a great console with some incredible games. I'm going PS4 for next-gen but will certainly keep my 360 around for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

I've been out of the loop, but is the XBone a total flop? I haven't decided which, if any, new console I get but I haven't heard of the XBone's issues.

They've sold a million, same as the PS4 (although the PS4 is yet to launch in Europe), they both have issues, but as a pure games machine the PS4 seems to be the better choice so far.

It'll be a year or so before we can declare anything a flop, but as someone who loved the 360 and didn't have a PS3 I was wholly disappointed by nearly everything that came out of MS's mouths this year regarding the One, so I'm switching to PS4 for next gen.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Oh absolutely, I'm not counting MS out completely, it took years for Sony to turnaround the PS3 but they did it eventually. All I'm saying is that IMO the PS4 is the better choice right now.

Anyway, did that South Park RPG get pushed to March or something? I thought it was going to come out next month?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

The Duke posted:

Just finished playing The Knife of Dunwall DLC for Dishonored. What a great game and this DLC for $5 was totally worth it. I also picked up Brigmore Witches to play through later. I really want to go back back and attempt Ghost/Clean Hands playthroughs on the entire game but that seems pretty daunting!

It's tough, I did a Ghost/No Kills play-through all the way up to mission 7, but keep failing that and I don't know why :(

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

I know I'm like, a year late with this, but just finished The Walking Dead and seriously holy poo poo! I mean the 'game' part of the game is fairly weak but I don't think I've ever been so sucked into the story, some of the choices were really tough. Season 2 launches next month right?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I should probably play through Psychonauts when that re-release comes out, right? I've been hearing goons praise the game for years, but I only played the demo of it on PC, never the full game. I don't even really remember if I liked the demo or not anymore, honestly. 2005 seems like so long ago.

I frequently see it on Steam sales for less than $10, though, so maybe I should just buy it on PC.

Psychonauts is one of those games with near-universal praise that actually hasn't aged that well. But it'll be interesting to see if they do a 'HD' version or something.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

The next Games with Gold game has been announced.

It's Gears of War.

The first one.

Snore :(

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

You know games for gold are gonna continue to be a letdown so why bother being surprised? :P

I'm hopelessly optimistic?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

You get to keep the games after your Gold sub expires, unlike PS+, which is cool but doesn't really make up for their generally poor offerings, I mean if I really wanted to pick up Halo 3 again it's only £6 on Amazon anyway.

But hell, free's free I guess.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

So what games are still coming for 360 and won't be coming to the One? I know I need to keep it handy for Dark Souls 2, but is there anything else?

The South Park RPG if you're into that kind of thing.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Houdini posted:

Wasn't there quite a rumour that Dark Souls 2 would be released on the xbone/ps4 anyway?

I think it was more "we'd like to do something at some point" which could mean anything, it was far from a confirmation.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Mental Midget posted:

I'm really cleaning up with Amazon on 360 games this year. I've spent about $100 so far and am getting these games delivered tomorrow - haven't played a single one of them yet. Time to clear the backlog!

Dark Souls (already own this on PC but want to try the console experience)

Sounds great but why would you do this to yourself? There are certain parts in the console version where the frame-rate becomes an issue.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

If you want GTA5 get it now, there is no hint of if/when it will get a nextcurrent-gen release, and it's pretty great on the 360 anyway.

BF4 is by most accounts a pretty broken mess on every single platform it was released for so steer clear until they patch that up properly.

MZ fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 9, 2013

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

The PS3/360 have something like a 160m user-base combined. The PS4/One have maybe 3m total. I don't think last-gen will be going anywhere for quite some time so if you want to wait you'll be served well for at least a couple of years to come.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

I just ordered Doom 3 BFG on a whim now that it's cheap, but I remember a bunch of goons hating on it when it came out although I don't remember why. After watching some reviews I think it looks pretty enjoyable. Is there any reason I am going to hate it?

Edit: I should also mention I have only casually played the first two as a kid and I am huge on Survival horror so the change in pace sounds like a positive thing to me.

There was a lot of hate for the game when it was released because it just wasn't really a "Doom" game at all - that and people were expecting the second coming of Christ. I thought it was a good game on its own merits, just forget it has anything to do with the Doom franchise.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Going just on single-player, as I don't play multi much, GTAV and AC4 are among the best games I've played this year. I know it's not cool to say that about AAA sequels, but there you go.

Both are a return to form, even if AC4 is just Pirate's Creed with some assassination tacked-on (the assassination stuff is actually the weakest part of the game).

Neither game is perfect and I have my gripes with both, but they are both quite fun and will keep you entertained for dozens of hours.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

What was the consensus on Tony Hawk HD? I remember it getting a bit of a mixed reception on launch.....

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Jolo posted:

I just picked up GTA V. Is it still recommended to install only one of the disks or has there been a patch/fix so that installing both is fine?

I installed both to the Hard Drive and it was absolutely fine, you may get some minor pop-in during the intro titles but apart from that I don't know WTF everyone was moaning about. Better than having that jet-engine of a disc drive spin up.

Mr Newsman posted:

Thoughts on Bioshock Infinite? I liked the first one but haven't kept up with the series since.

I really enjoyed Infinite. There are a couple of bullshit boss-fights but aside from that it was a fun ride. it's also very linear for the most part if that turns you off.

MZ fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 22, 2013

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Bully at £2.99 was impossible to pass up, I had it back on the Wii but never finished it for some reason (probably because I got a 360 and promptly shelved my Wii until Skyward Sword came out), guess I've got no excuse now!

Is there a list of all the other upcoming deals?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Laksa posted:

Hi guys, I am looking for any good racing games on the 360 that allows the Dpad to be used for steering. Tried the demo versions of the different forzas, and couldnt find the option to change it.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Why would you do this to yourself? I love the 360 controller but the D-Pad is horrible.....

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

One of my presents was Banjo Kazooie Nuts N Bolts, which I've always been meaning to pick up but never got around to, anything I should know before going in??

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Blood Money is fantastic, best Hitman.

Counter-opinion, Blood Money was fantastic for it's time but I went back to it again this year and it felt pretty janky ..... nostalgia :-( .

Also, having bought Bully in the sale yesterday god drat that game has a hell of a lot of tearing, frame-rate drops, and looks like poo poo.... it makes it almost hard to believe GTAV came out on the same console.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Been playing a fair bit of Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, yes I know it's a 5 year old game (I got it for xmas) but it's still pretty fun and I'm impressed with the freedom you have to making your own vehicles. The amount of customisation and different parts you can use is actually pretty staggering.

I'd love to see more of this kind of thing next-gen, the extra RAM on the new consoles should make it a breeze, shame that no one has really made a game like Nuts & Bolts since AFAIK ... (correct me if I'm wrong?)

I guess Project Spark is kinda the next step but I don't want a game where I have to make the game too, I like Banjo's approach of "hey here's some challenges now go and make the best contraption you can to beat them".

It's also a shame that Rare make lovely games now so we'll probably never see a sequel to Nuts & Bolts :-(

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

People have been saying "Rare makes lovely games now" forever now and it's never been true. Viva Pinata rules, Nuts and Bolts rules, even Kinect Sports is a lot of fun with friends.

Nuts & Bolts was 5 years ago and Viva Pinata was 7 years ago :colbert: The Rare of today simply isn't the Rare of old :-(

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Geographica posted:

Xbox Wire has just posted January's Games with Gold: Sleeping Dogs and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

Wow, thats a decent offering for once. Shame I've already got them both....

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Kimoosabi X posted:

I'm about 50 hours into Skyrim and it has started to freeze up on me every few hours. It typically happens on a loading screen. I've learned to save often to avoid losing much progress, but it's still really annoying. I don't remember vanilla Skyrim freezing this much at launch, does it freeze more now with the DLC installed? I've tried clearing both the system and game cache, turned off all autosaves, only keep about 4-5 active saves etc. Doesn't seep to help at all. Any tips on minimizing these freezes?

I've not played it for a year but I recall having freezes as well with no DLC even after multiple title updates. But then, I had the same thing with New Vegas, *shugs* that's Bethesda I guess?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

I've been hunkering for a good stealth game. What are some of your favorites? I've already played Dishonored, so it's out of the question.

Adding my vote for Mark of the Ninja, great game.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Any recommendations for girlfriend friendly couch coop games?

My gf loved Rayman Origins (we'll get Legends eventually) but we need something new. She doesn't like shooting games or FPSs.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Dark Souls is easily one of the best games of last generation, but I can understand why someone wouldn't like it and it's certainly not for everyone.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

I might give The Witcher 2 another chance, I rented it a while back but got my rear end handed to me repeatedly by the first boss. Any advice?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

As someone who is finally getting a 360 because now it's the time to start collecting games for it before the prices skyrocket, what are the must-have exclusives? Obviously there's Halo, which one is considered the best? I like action games, FPS games, driving games, and basically anything with explosions and non-stop action. Console cross platform is fine as I prefer the 360 controller over the PS3 controller, but no games that I could also play on PC (unless the ports suck goat balls) because that's obviously my platform of choice for multiplatform games when I'm not loving around on my 3DS. I've already grabbed Raiden Fighters Aces and Forza Motorsport 4.

My only hardware questions are that since I intend to build my collection slowly and I only have a couple games, can I get away with using a 32GB flash drive for now because the prices for the hard drive are kinda steep, and has the build quality improved? I'm getting an R2-D2 slim and I'm hoping I don't encounter the dreaded Red Ring of Death.

I'd add to that list The Darkness (the first game, not it's sequel), Shadow Complex (XBLA game).

RROD shouldn't really be a problem anymore if you got a console manufactured in like the last 5 years. But I'd really recommend getting a hard drive to install games to, they are steep and will always be steep because of the special format & caddy they come in.
You can get a small one and replace it with a larger hard disk of your own but requires a bit of loving around on a PC.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

Prepare for disappointment as Dead Island is rumoured to be the first games for gold game.

(Game is fun until you leave the beach etc. etc. Blah blah blah)

I've never played it, so I'll take it, but Sleeping Dogs & Guardian of Light is going to be hard to top, granted I already had both those games, so didn't benefit, but I'll gladly take Dead Island for free....

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Any tips for Dead Island newbies to get the best out of the game?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Man I must have been the only one who didn't like ODST, I thought it was bland, boring and really generic.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Neo Helbeast posted:

So uh I guess Doom IV is coming out this year: http://www.wolfenstein.com/en-us/preorder

Does anyone care? Doom 3 was ok, Rage was so-so, and the brains behind all the beautiful tech has left the company to work for Oculus VR. id is a shell of it's former self.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Do we know what March's games with gold are going to be yet?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Darksiders filled the void of Zelda-em-up for the Xbox 360 for me, I enjoyed it. The sequel was a bit of a letdown which was a shame because while the first one did nothing new, it had a lot of promise.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yes, it's Civ, dumbed down and with shittier controls. :shrug: Kind of like where they went with the new X-COM games.

I thought XCOM EU was excellent, it was a really challenging game and played well on consoles.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

It's true. It's coming out for 360, two weeks after it's launch on Xbox One and PC. They've also shown no footage of it.

Is it even Respawn doing the port of have the farmed it off to some other studio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

So, South Park seems to be reviewing quite well. I'll probably pick it up, but not yet, I've got Dark Souls 2 coming next week....

• Locked thread