Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Remember that the PS3 had a laughable launch as well and Sony eventually made up the difference with services and exclusives. These things take a long time to work themselves out and there's an enormous amount of money involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember being really excited for Chromehounds and it being the major reason I bought a 360 at all, but the awful mishandling of the balance and persistent war mode ruined it and gave me a multi-year grudge against From that almost made me miss out on Demon's/Dark Souls. At its worst one side (always the same side) would win the war about every 18 hours and cause a long unskippable defeat message for everyone else in the game each time it happened. The dominant build was a high-speed hovercraft that would dash past the defense and attack the base with a sort of heavy melee weapon and end the match in moments, and when that was nerfed they figured out how to mount long-range bombardment cannons so that they could be used point-blank as incredibly overpowered shotguns. There was a bug that would permanently gently caress up your account unless you scheduled an encounter with a tech support rep on Live so they could sell you an in-game part that would fix it.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 25, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yes, but a lot of people don't like it as there's not a whole lot that you actually do. The combat never gets deeper than it does in those fights and the fights are widely separated by long QTE sequences and equally shallow rail shooting.

If you want a really substantial, polished brawler that also has a ton of crazy poo poo constantly happening around you, play Bayonetta or Revengeance.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alteisen posted:

So I recently came into possession of a turtle beach via a friend of mine. He set it up so I could listen to the game audio through them.

I like it, I can hear every noise, footsteps, creepy poo poo happening, weird monster moaning in Resident Evil.

So I ask you guys, what games have superb atmospheric sound like that?

The Dead Space games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Winter Fresh posted:

I bought Gears 2 so hopefully it's as good as the first one.

Everything about Gears 1, it's more so.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aphrodite posted:

It wasn't his send-off though, because then they made an animated short.

He dies of a heart attack sitting on a bench.

According to the original rules of the animus, we cannot see his death because access to his memory is supposed to be cut off when the next descendant in line is conceived. But even Ubisoft is getting tired of the rules and metaplot by now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NESguerilla posted:

Doom 3 is pretty fun. The gunplay is super dated but it's got a nice creepy atmosphere and it feels pretty old school in the sense that it isn't always prodding you forward and you have to interact with the world in this really manual way that I haven't seen in years. Definitely feels like Dead Space with a little bit of Half Life 1 in the mix to me.

Also, it's pretty amazing to look at considering it's almost a decade old. The lighting is on par with some modern releases.

No other game uses that direct cursor manipulation stuff because hardly anything is designed as a PC game foremost these days and that sort of thing makes a lot more sense with a mouse than it does with a stick.

Doom 3's lighting and super-sharp shadows are fundamentally different from most other games; its method never took off for a really bullshit reason and it has some limitations that Doom 3 deliberately doesn't bump up against.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
4 has its share of odd behavior and most people think the freerunning has gotten worse but I had a hell of a lot more fun with that game than with 3.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bioshock Infinite is the joy of entering a beautiful, wonderfully crafted setting you can't wait to explore being ruined by the realization that it's all just window dressing for yet another fight with yet another horde of generic bad guys, repeated for eight hours and capped off with ~art~.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You should think very hard about Black Flag as it is the best AC game since Brotherhood.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
drat, I let Gold expire too soon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never had any bugs like that, and it's still fundamentally a Halo game so it's still fun to shoot things in giant sci-fi rooms. The story, though, is a complete shitpile that throws out the original Halo background and replaces it with retcons and references to the tie-in novels.

They also sort of ruined multiplayer by replacing weapon pickups with loadouts and killstreaks, but I never played it much.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dross posted:

Looking forward to seeing if the difference between 2 and 3 is as huge as the difference between 1 and 2.

It's not. 3 is more or less 2 with the planet mining mechanic replaced with a sort of cat-and-mouse real-time minigame and the relationships between the powers and the three types of health bar more strongly differentiated.

I was kinda disappointed that they stopped trying to create a semi-hard SF justification for how each power works and just started making straight-up superpowers.

quote:

I get the uncanny valley effect anytime Shepard smiles. It's so loving creepy, especially when I'm hitting on Miranda.

It's a big upgrade from 1 at least, especially the shadows which consistently improve throughout the series.

quote:

(speaking of creepy, the fact that every person under my command is trying to bang me really feels like juvenile power fantasy)

video games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Starhawk64 posted:

As someone who is finally getting a 360 because now it's the time to start collecting games for it before the prices skyrocket, what are the must-have exclusives? Obviously there's Halo, which one is considered the best? I like action games, FPS games, driving games, and basically anything with explosions and non-stop action. Console cross platform is fine as I prefer the 360 controller over the PS3 controller, but no games that I could play also play on PC (unless the ports suck goat balls) because that's obviously my platform of choice for multiplatform games when I'm not loving around on my 3DS. I've already grabbed Raiden Fighters Aces and Forza Motorsport 4.

My only hardware questions are that since I intend to build my collection slowly and I only have a couple games, can I get away with using a 32GB flash drive for now because the prices for the hard drive are kinda steep, and has the build quality improved? I'm getting an R2-D2 slim and I'm hoping I don't encounter the dreaded Red Ring of Death.

Halo ODST and Halo Reach are the two best, especially if you haven't played the original Xbox Haloes.

Crackdown was pretty great, but in this day and age you may as well play its spiritual successor, Saints Row 4 (which is also on PC). Don't bother with Crackdown 2.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's true, but it also has an annoying bug where the screen gets covered with faint shapes sometimes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jolo posted:

Bulletstorm - if you like explosions and insane things happening, this fps is exactly what you want

I'm pretty sure this has a PC version, but another B-level FPS that also has a PC version and is worth checking out is the Chronicles of Riddick game. The Xbox 360 version combines the previous-generation game, with a new second campaign that isn't nearly as good, but the former makes the whole package worthwhile.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's good, but there's no way it's better than the old X-Wing or Dark Forces games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

I agree with other people that ODST is your best bet, although I still think it's a distant second from Reach. At least you get to fight alongside Space Trooper Nathan Fillion.

Space Trooper Alan Tudyk, too, and I think one other. It's basically Halo: Firefly Reunion Edition.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ODST is really unlike the main Halo games in a lot of ways. It's not structured as a normal linear FPS, you spend a lot of it separated from your squad and roaming around a large city looking for missions, each of which shows in flashback what one of your mates has been up to and many of which can be played out of order. The flashbacks fit together to form not a grandiose space opera but the small, focused story of a group of companions having one really lovely day in the course of a war much bigger than they are.

And the music is great, yeah. It's dark, quiet, and subdued, just like the city itself.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

owl_pellet posted:

I don't know what order you're planning on playing those in, but if you ask me (you didn't) MGS 3 and Sleeping Dogs should be near the top of that order.

Along with the Dishonored DLC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'll :getin: when that thread has a less dumb title.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zero Star posted:

Have you played an EDF game before? Frankly the thread title is written better than any part of the in-game dialogue, and that's why we love it :ssh:

The thread title should be "We're on a thrilling underground adventure." No more, no less, no hashtag dick jokes.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 13, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

univbee posted:

How does this manifest itself? Lower framerate? Texture issues? Stuttering? How bad can it be since the game was made to run on units with no hard drive at all?

Only increased initial load times. Bungie, being the flagship first-party studio, had the resources to properly handle both HD and no-HD consoles, but the install feature was added after the game shipped.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He was angry without being annoyingly self-pitying and unlike Alex has no delusions that he isn't a monster.

Buying Prototype 2 now lets you skip one of the weird longevity-extending tricks they tried: half the side missions were time-locked and gradually appeared over the course of several weeks following launch. Without them the game feels a bit thin and shorter than P1; I don't think I ever bothered to go back and complete them all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
SR4 is absolutely worth $20.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
SR4 is a good Crackdown 3.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There is a thing that runs away from you, but rather than stat points it resets your wanted level and chasing it is a hell of a lot more fun because it stays on the ground where you can use superspeed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tomb Raider is great, it's Uncharted with a progression system and a protagonist who's less of a wiseass.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aphrodite posted:

Also she doesn't cry about the deer, despite how many times people have said it.

She acts very broken up over the first person she kills, then immediately (as in a minute or two later) kills a bunch more and never has a problem with it again.

~ludonarrative dissonance~

Also, she's the worst archaeologist in the world not because of the looting but because she's constantly tripping over and breaking pottery and things.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do please list some fictional archaeologists that don't destroy absolutely every loving piece of history they find.

With Indy it's the deathtraps or people trying to kill him who break everything. Lara breaks artifacts just by being in the same room with them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You may as well quit now, the combat and environs don't change substantially.

I don't know who compared it to Devil May Cry, it's God of War at best.

The second one is much more of an RPG, with a loot system and sidequests and things.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Starhawk64 posted:

What made you guys pick up a 360? For me, it was Raiden Fighters Aces.

Chromehounds

:suicide:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Here's what you do: Buy a blank label, a sharpie, and Saints Row 4. Write "Crackdown 2" on the label, stick the label over where it says Saints Row 4 on the box, then play the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It is incredibly difficult to get a large organization to approve going back and redoing something that mostly works already to cover a few extra edge cases.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Remember Me is gorgeous but short and mechanically shallow. Much of its value is created by the otherwise near-total lack of games with well-crafted female protagonists or a good cyberpunk setting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alteisen posted:

So did anyone ever play Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z? Seems like it came out and nobody cared.

It reviewed terribly, which everyone expected to happen all along, so it sank without a trace.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

Not to excuse the Halo games much or anything, but if the enemies feel bullet-spongy in those games it's likely because you're using the wrong weapon on them.

Even aside from that, there are advantages to bullet sponges. If you can drop an enemy with three to the head it doesn't have a chance to do anything interesting; Halo gets so much praise for its AI partly because the enemies live long enough to show off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also, the further you get into the DLC, the more it's designed for a party of 4 minmaxed monster characters and the less it's fun in any other configuration.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Chromehounds is 100% dead, and while the idea sounds amazing it was badly mishandled while it was live so you didn't miss much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ape Agitator posted:

It was absolutely badly mishandled (it required an attention to balance like a fighting game and Sega wasn't up to the task) but I still think that even broken it was amazing. Crisp visuals, nice presentation, and that drat garage sucked so many hours from me.

Oh, it was absolutely beautiful, that's why we put up with it for so long, even sitting through that goddamn "you lost, isn't war terrible guys?" text scroll that came up whenever someone won the persistent war (which happened every 48 hours, not every few months as promised).

• Locked thread