Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Houdini posted:

Sale starts today:

Persistent Week-long Offers (26, Nov. – 2, Dec.)

Black Friday 1-Day Offers (29, Nov. only)

Cyber Monday 1-Day Offers (2, Dec. Only)

Meanwhile, in Europe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

flatluigi posted:

If I recall correctly, it's going to get both a 360 and a PC version. That's hearsay from the Giant Bomb chat, though.

I haven't heard anything about a PC release but apparently the 360 version (already out) is missing half the animals, and the maps are smaller. No online or kinect either.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Are any of those Spider-Man games any good?

I just played through Web of Shadows this week (from the last time it was on sale!) and it is incredibly similar to Prototype, except a lot less polished and populated.

The combat system seems like it's pretty deep with multiple skill trees full of moves and combos and whatnot, but the correct move ~99% of the time is the one where you chain-bounce on people's heads. Now that's fun enough for a while, but then it's like the game notices you were doing it too much and makes you "smoke the whole pack", with endless missions revolving around bouncing from one guy to the next until it gets super old.

Outside of the main missions, there's nothing to do in the open world but grind out collectibles and beat up small packs of Venom-zombies (which look like larger packs until you get too close and most of them fade away before your eyes). It ended up being my designated mindless background game for listening to podcasts and stuff, except there weren't any subtitles so I never really knew what was going on in the story.

Oh yeah and at some point near the end the army comes out and starts dropping framerate bombs all over the city and it becomes almost unplayable. Look out for that part.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I stopped caring about the plot of AC when two's big reveal was ancient aliens and the plot was the only thing keeping me going through the novel on paper but repetitive in practice gameplay that drove it.

AC4's big reveal is "gently caress all of that, we're making a video game about pirates".

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I was hoping I could get some help with an extremely annoying problem. For the past couple of months I have been getting kicked off of live every 5-15 minutes. It seems mostly happen when I am streaming video, but it's happened during gameplay as well. It never seems to kick me off when I'm just playing a single player for game though. Any help would be appreciated it because it's pretty much rendered my 360 useless.

I should also mentioned that this started happening right around the time I switched isp's but none of my other devices have had any problems with the new router.

There are ways to set up a router incorrectly that only cause subtle problems like this so comb through your config, check your ports and MTUs and whatever, even if only to rule it out definitively.

Look for other people on your ISP complaining about not being able to play games or stream videos. If they have their own support forum this is the one thing it's useful for. If it seems like a widespread thing then your ISP is doing something lovely (and probably refusing to own up to it) so you're likely hosed.

Finally call your ISP, tell them what's up, indulge them through their "is your router turned on" script, but don't let them shift the blame onto Xbox Live (it worked before you switched, if it was down you'd hear about it) and don't let them close your ticket until you've proven it's fixed.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Kifisonfire posted:

Forza Horizon and the season pass are on offer today I guess since it's live now. Is this game fun? I like poo poo like Burnout and NFS and the last Forza game I played was 2.

Yeah it's great. Big open world, looks great, fun to drive. It's like Burnout Paradise minus takedowns, plus dubstep. Can't really recommend the DLC though.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

What's Lords of Shadow 2 like? Does it go anywhere with the twist at the end of the first one?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

I think Peace Walker may have the worst QTE I've ever experienced. You have to jam the Y button for like, a minute combined. This may literally prevent me from beating the game.

They do this same annoying thing in every MGS. If you're playing co-op (or stuck enough to try it) only player 1 gets tortured while the others just escape the cell.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

raditts posted:

That's odd, I don't remember any stuttering with mine. Could it have anything to do with your model 360?

I had it pretty bad as well, on a slim.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Nightmare, Year of the Snake and Zodiac Tournament are the three big ones.

Wheels of Fury is another quest chain and you get a crazy armoured supercar out of it, if you want.

Might as well get the Ghost Pig and Community Gift packs because they're free.

If you're getting any extra missions/cosmetic stuff at all you should get the Dragon Master pack that bundles five of them together for less than the price of the two good ones.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

I've been hunkering for a good stealth game. What are some of your favorites? I've already played Dishonored, so it's out of the question.

Play Dishonored again. I thought the latest Splinter Cell was really fun. MGS Peace Walker too.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I'm sure no one will be surprised by this but I only just noticed because of the sale, the UK currency conversion for pre-expansion XCOM on GoD was so hosed up and never fixed that it's currently more expensive (on a bigger % discount) than the new version that totally supersedes it. Also Borderlands 2 is literally 3x the US price. :sicknasty:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Can anyone who's play SC Blacklist fill me in on it? Its dropped to 20.

I mostly ignored it cause no Ironside and Sam looks super young but at 20 I might give it a spin.

I really enjoyed it but I've never played a Splinter Cell before so I don't know if that's any use to you!

There are one or two weird first-person levels but they're not too bad really. The ending is totally abrupt, I think there was supposed to be a DLC mission to tie it up but it never came out. The three-way progression across the different playstyles is interesting (I wish more stealth games would adopt "sneaky but still lethal" as valid because that's what I always like to do). I got tripped up at the start because it unlocks one of each side mission straight away after the tutorial, and the one I decided to try first turned out to be a horde mode which is completely impossible when you don't have any equipment.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Is it just me or did they discount the Capcom Arcade hub but not any of the games you actually play on it

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Is Prototype 2 as much of a DLC pump as it looks like? $10 to access side missions? Are you loving serious?

It's one of those online pass things you would have got with the game. Remember those? They were poo poo.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Nibbles141 posted:

Episode Pack IV is the endings. Lost episode 1 and 2 are fights against Street Fighter characters. If you care about Street Fighter or achievements I guess. I can't even remember what episode 11.5 and 15.5 gave you so it can't have been that great.

But yeah, just pack IV is the new ending.

The .5 episodes are short hand-animated episodes that fill in a couple of little things like "who exploded that one time". They're ok if you really want to extend the Asura's Wrath Experience as long as possible, but since they're not in-engine the QTEs don't react to you at all.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Last I heard they shut down the PS3 and PC servers but not the 360 ones.

Source

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Neo Helbeast posted:

It's totally that.

Banjo Kazooie Nut & Bolts is the free for games with gold for japan: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/16/banjo-kazooie-nuts-bolts-games-gold-freebie-japan/

A couple of regions got Banjo Tooie instead, but South Africa ended up with Full House Poker of all things. I'm not usually one to complain about which games they put up for free, but considering Full House Poker has been pretty much completely superseded by its already-free sequel, that one's got to hurt a little.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

owl_pellet posted:

Unless they have patched it heavily since release the free to play poker game was a huge pile of poo poo.

They've done a couple of big patches but last time I played the framerate was still crazy, and it was still a f2p poker game where the XP system and achievements encourage people to gently caress around rather than play well. It has a lot of players though, which is really what you need for online poker. :shrug:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Hitman Absolution is just close enough to being really good that it becomes frustratingly obvious what they should have done to make it better. Like there's a mode where you create and share your own hit contracts around the existing levels (pick an NPC and set some constraints like "use this weapon" or "don't get seen"), and honestly it's ok for what it is, but the first thing you think when you try it is "it would be cool if I could change this guy's AI or set up my own equipment drops or something, if only".

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They usually are (or not included at all with GoD) since Live can't give you more than one download with a purchase.

Same general issue as above.

Maybe it's just me but I thought it was kinda funny last year when they tried working around these crazy old limitations by putting out a load of discount bundles, which were actually published XBLA games that you would run and see a single button, which you would click to add all the bundled games to your download queue. Because the in-game download system supports multiple files at one-off prices, but the dashboard download system doesn't.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Just don't get Forza 4 for this purpose because it has its own loyalty cars and then you'll need Forza 3 as well!

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

welcome posted:

Which Dishonored DLC is the good DLC?

The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches are the really good ones. They go together to make up a whole side story campaign about Daud.

Dunwall City Trials is ok too though, it's a collection of little standalone gameplay challenges.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

For a week, I've been trying to get Strider using just the Microsoft prepaid card that's 15 dollasrs, but tax means I can't get it. I might need to get another 15 dollar card :rant:

Any similar metroidvania games on the Xbox that aren't Symphony of the Night or Shadow Complex?

Dust: An Elysian Tail is a good one, it's free with Gold at the moment too.

Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit is ok, it's got a lot of charm but it's a bit shallow.

I haven't played Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet but I've heard good things.

Edit: just scrolling down the Metroidvania page on the Giant Bomb wiki, I wouldn't personally call these metroidvanias but I do like them: Fez, and Monster World Collection.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 8, 2014

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, according to Major Nelson's blog Lightning Returns will be 50% off. Is it worth a shot at that price since it seems to have a similar system to FF X-2's dress sphere system which I adored.

Yes, it's absolutely worth a shot. It's fun, the story's ludicrous, it's not a huge time commitment for an RPG but you can get pretty deep into it if you want to. There's a thread for it here.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Apparently Forza Horizon 2 is coming to the 360 as well as the Bone, which is a bit weird and surprising, but also great news IMO because FH is the only racing game I've really enjoyed in the last few years and I wasn't looking forward to buying another £400 console for it.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I know I'm a few pages late for Crappy Achievement chat, but there's one that came to mind I had to share.

In Guitar Hero 3, there's an online multiplayer achievement where you have to beat one of the game's developers.
Even when the game was new, I imagine it would have been extremely difficult to try and find somebody who worked on the game to play against.

If you want a crap Guitar Hero achievement how about the one in Guitar Hero World Tour for earning so much money that it would take a week of full-time grinding on the highest-paying song to get.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Dross posted:

Rhythm games are often played by their fans for months on end, so once there's nothing left to buy you'll hit that pretty naturally.

No way, I played a frankly embarrassing amount of that game in college and I never came close. The achievement is for $1 million, you get a few hundred on average for each 3-4 minute song.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

EC posted:

My point was that the argument has been done to death already, and it's not like there aren't ways the game gives you to get around it. I find it very funny that people are still actively complaining about this despite the devs implementing the same sorts of systems in three different games, and going so far as to make them more ingrained in basic gameplay in the latest.

Don't like it, don't play it. :shrug:

What's funny about that? There's other interesting stuff in Souls worth seeing, the idea that you have to be on board with this one specific thing and not complain about it is pretty weird.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

The tallest building in 3 is that tiny church in Boston. I guess trees count but you can't climb them for hours and hours (even though children can climb trees so why can't the British guy?)

The tallest building in AC3 is actually the modern day skyscraper and it's kinda rad but the game doesn't let you go there again after the ending sooo gently caress AC3.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 14, 2014

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

There's apparently an achievement that's unobtainable that the devs aren't going to fix. Had I known about that, I never would've downloaded it to begin with. Good job, fellas.

They've patched it, it's going through certification right now.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

I remember having fun in the multiplayer of that with friends in a sort of "Can you believe how lovely and broken this thing we're playing is"

A friend and I started playing the co-op mode and it started out kind of funny, but then we became weirdly good at it and we got all the way to the end it just looped back to the first level again without any kind of acknowledgement and we both loving fell over dead.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

matrix ripoff posted:

Thank you very much!

edit: I regret nothing

A mark of shame on your profile forever... :smugjones:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Save yourself some time and money and just buy the first two episodes of The Walking Dead, the rest of it is meandering garbage and they already ran out of tricks to make you feel bad.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's the skinny on Dishonoured DLC now that it's 'free' with Gold?

Knife of Dunwall + Brigmore Witches make up a second campaign where you play as one of the bad guys. Really good DLC, if you like the game get these for sure.

Dunwall City Trials is a set of little self-contained challenge maps where you run/sneak/loot on a timer. It's ok.

Void Walker's Arsenal is a bundle of all the trashy pre-order bonuses. Extra money and equipment slots, that sort of thing.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

haveblue posted:

The best ending of the game is almost exactly this. It talks about how the new empress ushered in a new golden age and everything was sunshine and rainbows, which is why a lot of people have a problem with it. The society portrayed in the rest of the game has severe fundamental issues and you don't do anything to resolve them outside of your revenge quest.

I always liked that ending because it's as if the game's throwing its hands up and saying "yes, ok, if Corvo was super virtuous and tried really hard then I guess everything would have turned out fine. Here's your wet fart ending, thanks for undermining my story about bad people killing each other".

Like, they wanted you to play along, but they didn't want to railroad you into it. I appreciate that.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The combat in AP is more fun and less buggy than that of the modern Fallout games. If you made it through either of those and you're interested in a cool reactive story then just suck it up one more time and you'll get your reward in a couple hours.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I remember Monaco, it's an indie 2D top-down coop-focused class-based stealth/heist game. It got good reviews and some awards and stuff, and then it pretty much fell off the face of the planet. I skipped it because people said the single player was boring, also I think the weird hard line-of-sight/vision-cone effect it does is really grating. Happy to try it for free though of course!

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

IIRC they were both pretty much the same, except the 2nd one knew how silly it was and leaned into it. It also gated all the optional challenges behind the online pass though, which sucked.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Xbox Live Rewards is back and guess what, it's basically the same as before.

You get the usual points for surveys, referrals, using apps etc.
No rebate for having lots of achievements any more, it's directly based on your yearly spend instead.
Points for playing the current Games With Gold for 10 hours, and/or buying related DLC.
Points for buying Games On Demand, but only the really expensive ones.

Edit: there's some kind of profile form you can fill in too but I don't think it does anything.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The new Forza Horizon is a bit disappointing. The soundtrack's kinda boring, all the atmosphere's gone, and none of the progression stuff makes any sense because you just unlock races by beating the ones you have, you don't get anything for levels or wristbands or whatever. Also I'm constantly having to rewind races because I crash into absolutely nothing and go flying off course.

• Locked thread