Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Archonex posted:

Helped that the combat was way better than release too, which is where the game tanked badly back then when it came to population. They made the other fighting disciplines viable so you weren't gimped if you didn't pick up dirty fighting. Also, the inclusion of bare knuckle brawling as a fighting style was hilarious. The removal/enforced rarity of super-powered ships of the line also made it so that lower level players could fight decently against higher level players if they were in a group as well.

Granted, all that may have changed since they went independent. But it was definitely fun back then.

Glad you thought so! I was the lead designer for a while and I worked pretty hard to make it less realistic and more actually interesting to play. There were some sticks in the mud about that bullshit and as far as I heard most of it got reverted or changed, especially the big stuff like the SOL removal. Which is pretty stupid if that's the case, because it just means they don't really understand how the game works. I'd love to get my regular characters back and go sailing with some goons again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Just asked in chat and apparently building first rates have been back for about a year now. Pirates still only go up to second rate.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Iron Leg posted:

Glad you thought so! I was the lead designer for a while and I worked pretty hard to make it less realistic and more actually interesting to play. There were some sticks in the mud about that bullshit and as far as I heard most of it got reverted or changed, especially the big stuff like the SOL removal. Which is pretty stupid if that's the case, because it just means they don't really understand how the game works. I'd love to get my regular characters back and go sailing with some goons again.
A goon was lead designer on PotBS? It makes so much more sense now. You did good work, mate. Normally I'd side with the historical sticklers on issues like that but you're definitely right here, it's not the kind of game that requires intense realism. Not to say that it's a fantasy game, but in gameplay mechanics some leeway would be essential.

Third World Reggin posted:

Just asked in chat and apparently building first rates have been back for about a year now. Pirates still only go up to second rate.
Spanish are looking pretty good now, eh? Did they mention how common First Rates are now? They were removed for a reason, I'm curious if they've found a way to balance them. One of my chief memories of port battles was everyone scattering when a First Rate sailed into view

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
Yeah I thought I read a blog post or something about it a while ago. Everything else can still sail circles around them but sailing well is hard so it's a problem. Still, sailing around shooting at dudes is pretty rad. Interested to see what else they changed. I shot them an email to see about getting my guys back.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

No idea why they put them back in. But I suppose since pirates have access to Terror Second Rates that they can compete. We can also get first rates as well but we are flagged for pvp if we ever drive them.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I've hit level 20 and am still having enough fun that I think I'll stay for the long haul. I'm Phyress du Lis on the pirate side; should I just bug any Pink Ponces I see for an invite?

Also, is there a superior fighting style or should I just pick what I like? I've made it this far with stab->swipe->stab->swipe->shoot-in-face and repeat.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Somehow "Terror" isn't the first thing that pops into my head when I see a big yellow ship.

The economy is based on time, yes? I realize I must have a ton of manhours saved up on whatever economic buildings I had years ago. Now to just find them.

EDIT: Also, Iron Leg, I have to ask. How much of this game is directly inspired by Sid Meier's Pirates! ?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am Grithok Gitrock. If I see you online I'll throw you an invite. You can also hit me up on steam if you need an invite.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Third_World_Reggin/

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Iron Leg posted:

Goddamn, you did nice work then. Sounds like it was an uphill battle though. I take it people were agitating for "hardcore realistic" combat on the seas and ground or something? I'm trying to picture the ground combat working like that and it just seems like it would be miserable. :v:

I'd totally play this if I could get my characters back. As it is I don't have nearly enough time to grind up a new character. If they ever offer some sort of promotion where it's viable to do so again i'll definitely pick this up.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 28, 2013

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Just wanted to chime in to say this game is a lot of fun. If you enjoy naval combat at all, you will enjoy this game. Reggin is a real nice guy, too. I'm sure he'll help people getting started.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Just based on trying to register for this game I don't have high hopes. Apparently the date of birth has to be fully typed out, like "September 17 2004" instead of any usual short hand. It doesn't tell you this.

Still, I'll try my hand at being a pirate. Avast and whatever.

Is stealing ships really worth it if you don't intend to throw money into this for ship slots? Not to terribly sure how that works.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Nationals can buy civilian ships which have multiple lives, cost little, and under perform the made ships.

Pirates can steal a ship every 2 hours as a cutthroat, or as either class have a chance of salvaging a captured deed from a wreck. Buccaneers start with this ability and have a 10% chance for a deed. Cutthroats gain it at level 10 after a mission and have a 6% chance. All the deeds have 1 life.

Pirates and Nationals, as free players, only have access to 2 active ship docks and no storage. You have to pay for additional permanent docks or permanent ship storage. You will just delete old ships until you have more room. Buying burning sea notes to get more room is pretty cheap as well for in game cash.

Pirates will tend to upgrade their ships more often if they can find one.

At high levels you will be crafting or making writs or just paying doubloons for most of your ships. There is little difference between the two sides at that point on how they get ships.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 29, 2013

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

This is a interesting game.

The ship battles are lovely and work well, however the rest of the game is somewhat unintuitive at times. Not really frustratingly so, but it can slow you down. Non-ship combat, with your avatar, on the flip side is... Kind of lovely and a mess. It goes from skill and tactics to hoping your level and equipment is good enough and mashing the attack buttons.

Given that you have to do avatar combat for boarding, for dat sweet fukken loot, that's a bit of a problem.

Still, it was fun. I don't think I quite understand the economy aspect of the game, or at least any trading. There are auction houses but you need certain skills to see ones that are out of your region and beyond something simply not being in the list there doesn't seem to be any signs of whether there is a demand or not. (Through purchases or economic buildings.) This plus the somewhat limited piracy zones means that trying to pirate for profit doesn't seem like it's actually a thing. Which... is odd. I spent about a half hour wandering over to Port Royal, in the thought that maybe some fellow newbies would spring out with PvP on or something, but even getting into the PvP spot at the time all I saw were tons of NPCs and a handful of players - mostly pirates, mostly level 50.

Still, it's only recently reopened and it was a holiday at the time, to boot, so I am sure it will get better. I recommend it for anyone on the fence.

What's the character name for the leader of Pink Ponces?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hit me up at the earlier steam link or as Grithok Gitrock if you want an invite. I'm the one that is most often around.

Avatar combat is really bad. Your sword fighting is pretty easy when you boil skills down to 20%, 40%, 60%, and 90% damage as well as aoe or single target. Then you just find ways to boost your defense or initiative regen, and look at what special things you can do.

Florentine gets more damage for every debuff on a target and focuses on dodge and parry.

Dirty fighting can stun, make people bleed, and focuses on damage resistance and parry.

Their skills are mostly the same though damage wise.

As for checking demand, yah, you need the skill, and then you look for the demand as buy orders. I'm not sure what more you are expecting from that. You can see how many buy orders there are, and a best price or average price for that region, or for the entire Caribbean.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Iron Leg posted:

Do you have any stories as lead? I want to hear them.

Also, isn't there another goon who worked on this game? I could've sworn the guy who did the economic part of the game was a goon.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There was one, he played age of wushu with us, but I don't remember his SA name.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I remember playing this back in open beta, I came up with the trick of outfitting a group of 5 in the smallest, fastest, most accurate long range cannons available, and we would all aim at the sails on the big top of the line ships at 700 yards with 60% accuracy whereas they would need to be within 100 yards for the same, then leaving them stranded as we shot at the front or back until it sunk, it worked pretty well, did that get changed after awhile or did nobody ever do that?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 30, 2013

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
The worst decision in this game's history was taking out area chat, for sure. cause i would use that poo poo to set up 1v1s and 6v6s (which are the only good things) without having to log on my cross nation alt

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I've hit 50 and Mihkalia is about to as well.

As for cost of ships, looks like high end are 6 million and low end are 500K. This doesn't seem that hard to just buy.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
drat I haven't played this in forever - never made it far at all but did have fun shooting mans as my Cutthroat - and the dancing jig you can do was hilarious looking. I'm going to have to reinstall and see if it's as fun as I remember.

I recall having some lovely issues where the game would just constantly crash on me and I could never figure out why. Has anyone been having any issues with that at all or has it been pretty smooth sailing?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Its kinda hard to get ships at my level right now as a Spanish captain, we don't seem to have that many producers anymore. Though i'I've been mostly around Cuba and the Yucatan peninsula, maybe it would be better in the gulf coast.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Try just asking in your national chat, the community, as small as it is right now, are a pretty tight knit bunch.

The economy side of the game probably is on its face as a whole, though. Not the volume of people needed to keep things flowing nicely. Pirates have it easy being they can largely generated their own deeds until they hit level 50 and need the good stuff.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

I might have to get in on this again with you guys. It was a lot of fun last time.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I'm trying to install this, but it doesn't seem to be downloading anything. I run the installer, and it just sits at 0% and says:

code:
BitRaider Client (V. 1.1.6.9) -- 64-bit host.
Retrieving version information.
Complete
Checking for Patch updates...
Reading Package configuration
This title requires DirectX 9 with SDK 30.
Downloading DirectX Files, please wait.
Installing...Complete
Checking File integrity...
Package has not completed downloading, performing a demand audit check.
Complete
Resuming stream...
This package must be completely downloaded before it can be launched.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I haven't seen that and no idea what is going on. Normally it just goes alright then says by the way grab physx from our site.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

SERPUS posted:

I'm trying to install this, but it doesn't seem to be downloading anything. I run the installer, and it just sits at 0% and says:

code:
BitRaider Client (V. 1.1.6.9) -- 64-bit host.
Retrieving version information.
Complete
Checking for Patch updates...
Reading Package configuration
This title requires DirectX 9 with SDK 30.
Downloading DirectX Files, please wait.
Installing...Complete
Checking File integrity...
Package has not completed downloading, performing a demand audit check.
Complete
Resuming stream...
This package must be completely downloaded before it can be launched.

Yeah so if you go google pirates physx there is a legacy driver you need to download for the game. Why ? Because its so old and busted that modern .dll's with nvidia can't read the library files for this pirate grinder. If you still cant find it on the nvidia driver support site i'll throw up a link later.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Aw yeah son get yourself some PhysX
:snoop:https://www.burningsea.com/physx:snoop:

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 6, 2013

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Freakazoid_ posted:

Also, isn't there another goon who worked on this game? I could've sworn the guy who did the economic part of the game was a goon.

Replying to my own question thanks to Kenny Rogers:

quote:

Goon isildur worked on Pirates of the Burning Sea,

Now get in here Isildur and tell us all about your glorious vision! :allears:

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I don't understand what this game even uses physx for

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was just thinking the other day while playing AC4 that I wished there were more pirate games out.

Any clear winner between Cutthroat and Buccaneer?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It just depends on what you want to do. Most people think buc is just stronger than cutthroat but those people also want to go slow and shoot hard.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Blast of Confetti posted:

I was just thinking the other day while playing AC4 that I wished there were more pirate games out.

Any clear winner between Cutthroat and Buccaneer?

I went Buccaneer since you can get more out of derelict ships and they are the 'econ' class for pirates.

Kippling
Jun 24, 2005

And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?
I remember really enjoying this when it first came out. I'm pleased to see it's ticking over once again.

Are there a lot of people playing again? Are goons playing a national side or pirates?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Lorem ipsum posted:

I don't understand what this game even uses physx for

I'm going to guess here, possibly the cannon balls?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kippling posted:

I remember really enjoying this when it first came out. I'm pleased to see it's ticking over once again.

Are there a lot of people playing again? Are goons playing a national side or pirates?

I haven't played for a few days but if anyone wants an invite to the pirate society just send me a message in steam via the op. I like the game but I'm waiting for future patches to see how things change up.

As far as I know we got a low presence from spain, like really low, mainly from people getting their characters from SOE activated.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
What are you hoping future patches change?

And yes, there are a few goons playing Spain, but only a handful. PotBS has yet to really take off again, so until that happens we're all kind of scattered.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

They are doing an accuracy change soon on national ship of the lines so that pirates don't get shot up when approaching.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Replying to my own question thanks to Kenny Rogers:

Now get in here Isildur and tell us all about your glorious vision! :allears:
Wait what am I telling you about? I guess I had a glorious vision.

Honestly if you've played the game in, like, the last two years, you probably know more about it than I do at this point. It's been something like five? six? years since I've worked on the game.

Oh, and PhysX is what drives all the ship motion. It's two-dimensional but it's still physics. Back before we started using it, in like the first year of development, we had a hacked-together physics model developed internally that had issues with collisions -- like, occasionally firing one ship in a collision off thousands of miles from the point of impact.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Thinking about getting back in, played with you goons way back when. Do we use mumble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

To answer some stuff I saw in this thread:

- Nation transferring does not mean the characters actually transfer it just means you can pay to switch to a different nation and start over with new characters. Your previous characters remain frozen until you switch back to the original nation. You can do this for free during breaks between map wins and new accounts are free, so it's kinda pointless to pay.

- If the CSR person says they're not doing Sony transfers right now, then he's probably right. There's no CS Dept., it's just three dudes (Fodder, Half-Hitch, and Hamled) who run the company so it's unlikely you're talking to an uniformed flunky. They were manually transferring accounts for awhile and hopefully they'll do it again in the future, but they've been in panic mode lately trying to do redo the website, account system and stuff.

- The final cash model will be 20% completely free ships, 60% partner ships (meaning the builder must buy the recipe but no impact on the end buyer), and 20% premium ships. They had a big post on this on the forums but of course that's gone now. I really don't mind it and find I pay way less buying recipes then I did paying for a bunch of accounts. Unfortunately, as they continue to phase out free ships with every patch, the community flips out and acts like the new business model is a complete shock to them. The community for this game is the absolute worst btw.

- People say buccs are the pirate econ class, but honestly there's no pirate econ class. Buccs can't use advanced recipes or advanced structures and none of the pirates give a rat's rear end about keeping infrastructure levels high so good luck competing. In fact, the only good infrastructure ports like La Isabela are kept up by french alts because they are convenient for us. Plus, the general layout of rat ports sucks for econ. Oh, and they literally never updated careening camps. They were really cool in the beginning and pirates could throw together decent ships just using PVE salvage, but they never added a single new recipe so they are completely useless nowadays.

- The accuracy changes will heavily effect falloff. The new graphs they showed have a really, really steep falloff. You're pretty much in range or you're not. Part two of the accuracy changes is that you will be able to install custom guns in each gun port. So instead of nats = range and rats = useless in pb's, people can fit their ships with whatever range & lb guns they want. In the short term, I don't really know how much help just the falloff change will give rats. I guess it will at least prevent us nats from cheesing our range to 80 billion miles and still getting 70% accuracy with those dumb fishing mods.

Speaking of mods, there are cargo expanders in the Po8 seasonal shop. 25% increased cargohold and you can fit two. If you're at all interested in econ and have money, you should definitely get some before they're gone.

[edit] Forgot to add, civilian ships have been out of the game for a long time unfortunately so if you're playing something other than brit or rat you have to hope someone was kind enough to put a couple starter ships on the market. If not, sink your current ship until you get an improved fallback ship. They thought they were clever by removing civilian ships so new ship builders could enter the market but they forgot that starter ships are produced at a loss since your sale price is hard capped by the amount of cash a new player has and the starter quest rewards have never been updated to reflect the current economy. So yeah... another great FLS plan.

Kenby fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 16, 2013

• Locked thread