Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

quote:

The first of the two patches we have planned for December is now on the Test Server. We will be pushing it to the Live servers on 12/17 at midnight PST (8 AM GMT on 12/18). Changes include:

- Holiday sale on Treasure Aisle! Tis the season of togetherness, so commissioned allies and holiday pets are 25% off. All economy slots and economy slot bundles are 10% off and the Mid Level item bundle is 40% off. This sale will run through the end of the year.

- The holiday missions are now available.

- Removed old items from the Seasonal Item Exchange and added three new titles, a new permanent outfitting, and a new consumable.

- Increased the drop rate on rare Fairfax drops.

We expect to release the second patch, which includes new ships, towards the end of the month. Happy holidays, and enjoy!

This is the info pulled from their website. They should have the range patch at the end of the month then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Sounds interesting.

Wish we had more goons in here. Even a stack of 10 goons doing coordinated fire can pretty much curbstomp an entire pubby navy.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The patch is tomorrow. Here you go.

quote:

While the team is hard at work on tuning the new cannon changes that were previously discussed, we've got one more Holiday treat for all you Officers and sea dogs -- two new vessels will soon be making berth in ports throughout the Caribbean!

The Trydent fourth rate with its merman figurehead.

Spearheading these latest additions to your fleet is the Trydent 4th rate, featuring a strengthened hull and twenty 24 pound bronze cannons! Combine that with respectable speed and maneuverability in class and the Trydent can serve as a line ship or as a patrolling vessel on the open sea. Available to players of all careers the Trydent is sure to make its presence felt throughout the Burning Sea

The Nemean lion graces this sloop-of-war's prow.

Joining the Trydent on the waves is the new Nemea sloop-of-war! This fast and sleek hunter armed with a 12 pound bronze cannon gun deck has the power to threaten larger vessels and the speed to make her a difficult foe on the open sea. The Nemea sloop-of-war will be available to players of all careers level 25 and above.

We currently expect to release our next update with these ships at midnight PST on Monday, Dec. 23 (8 AM GMT Tuesday, Dec. 24). Stay tuned to PortalusGames.com for the latest information about PotBS updates and other developments. Happy holidays and fair winds to you all!

Kinda stoked for a sloop of war. I will get more info on the range changes later.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?
Ok ill bite, this is a game ive wanted to try for years but there has always been one thing or another to stop me. Glad to see that goons are back up and playing it. Ill be downloading tonight and will ping for an invite once i get around to it. Is there any particular character type that is in need right now?

Edit: Game is downloaded, i am "Harry Nutt" in game.

Magugu fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 23, 2013

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Magugu posted:

Ok ill bite, this is a game ive wanted to try for years but there has always been one thing or another to stop me. Glad to see that goons are back up and playing it. Ill be downloading tonight and will ping for an invite once i get around to it. Is there any particular character type that is in need right now?

Edit: Game is downloaded, i am "Harry Nutt" in game.

Sure, next time you are online I will tag you.

Mikhalio Moneybags in game. No point being creative since so few play this game right now.

It's a fun game when you want some down-time & plays alot like MP Sid's Pirates!. Since it's free, the game is a good background killer.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

Hal_2005 posted:

Sure, next time you are online I will tag you.

Mikhalio Moneybags in game. No point being creative since so few play this game right now.

It's a fun game when you want some down-time & plays alot like MP Sid's Pirates!. Since it's free, the game is a good background killer.

Ill be on tomorrow for a couple hours. Been running the missions, stuck on one of the "swashbuckling" combat ones, its a bit of trickery to get used too and i don't quite have it figured out yet. But the game is so far rather fun, but a bit of a learning curve.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Magugu posted:

Ill be on tomorrow for a couple hours. Been running the missions, stuck on one of the "swashbuckling" combat ones, its a bit of trickery to get used too and i don't quite have it figured out yet. But the game is so far rather fun, but a bit of a learning curve.

What skill set are you using ? Would go dirty fighting if you want big crits, fencing if you want to tank mobs to death.

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

I always hated that loving bird.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

Hal_2005 posted:

What skill set are you using ? Would go dirty fighting if you want big crits, fencing if you want to tank mobs to death.

Dirty Fighting, the problem is i just suck. I also just haven't got the mechanics down, like I have for the ship combat. Ill get it figured out.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Magugu posted:

Dirty Fighting, the problem is i just suck. I also just haven't got the mechanics down, like I have for the ship combat. Ill get it figured out.

Either that or you'll quit, because avatar combat is terrible in this game. PotBS: never don't be a boat

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

GaylordButts posted:

Either that or you'll quit, because avatar combat is terrible in this game. PotBS: never don't be a boat

Problem is that its a mission, would love for it to be ship combat. :sbahj:

Any tips, the problem im having is trying to manage my crew and get them focused, while trying to pick am enemy out of the crowd, while everyone is moving around faster than i can click on, and dying before i know whats going on.

Its a good game save for this crap, cant wait to move on and actually play the game. :pcgaming:

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Magugu posted:

Problem is that its a mission, would love for it to be ship combat. :sbahj:

Any tips, the problem im having is trying to manage my crew and get them focused, while trying to pick am enemy out of the crowd, while everyone is moving around faster than i can click on, and dying before i know whats going on.

Its a good game save for this crap, cant wait to move on and actually play the game. :pcgaming:

If you're boarding: I found I had the most luck killing enemy crew first, since they just melt and waste waves. Make sure to resummon your own crew if there's only one left, as the real trick is to avoid being attacked. Don't just charge in since everyone will jump you and you'll die immediately, just let your crew go in and tab through their targets. If they have too many waves, use crew damaging ammo to reduce enemy crew before boarding. Boarding probably isn't worth your time, since you have to stop being a boat. Never stop being a boat.

If you're on land: don't do that mission and never do another one, I guess. Any time you aren't being a boat in this game is time you are making a mistake. Higher level players can help you easily get levels from naval combat, and I'm not even sure this game has a story. Just go shoot some cannons.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

For dirty fighting, pick up the entire defensive tree. It is worth it. Then pick up what ever you fancy.

You basically have super guard regen.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Game was fun, not much point now to play.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
That didn't take very long.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Didn't see much point to play this hardcore. On average it seems like there is only 40 players on all sides at the moment.

Maybe I'll take a look at test server this week and see what the cannon changes do to the metagame. Test server including new ship mods just went live.

On another note, dev's are nice folks and maybe the game will be worth a goon presence after the reblancing and if/or the game is put into the Valve Greenlight program. One idea is that if the game does go to greenlight then a ship-building program similar to the Steam Teamfortress 2 mod program would definitely bring some cash flow and interest back into the game.

DumbAzRocks
Sep 5, 2013
Pirates, parrots, cannons and PvP, sounds like fun. Is the community still decently active?

PotBS username: Solomon Teague

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The community is but the goons are not.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Their website is so terrible that I don't have a lot of hope for my account. I completed the migration process a year ago, but when I try to log in now, it says that my username or password are incorrect.

Ok, so I go to the password recovery page, put in my email address and username, and it says that my username and email address are not recognized.

Ok - sign up for new account. That username and email address already exist.

Wee. Sent them an email, guess I'll see what happens. Would be kind of neat to sail around the ol' Invincible again for old times sake.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
e: nevermind. Thought I was in the other lovely boat game thread.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

The Locator posted:

Their website is so terrible that I don't have a lot of hope for my account. I completed the migration process a year ago, but when I try to log in now, it says that my username or password are incorrect.

Ok, so I go to the password recovery page, put in my email address and username, and it says that my username and email address are not recognized.

Ok - sign up for new account. That username and email address already exist.

Wee. Sent them an email, guess I'll see what happens. Would be kind of neat to sail around the ol' Invincible again for old times sake.

If they don't get back to you in a few days I'll poke them.

On another note, active crew I've stashed my characters with is Davy Jones Locker. Not goon sanctioned but there are about 20 active pirates in there, so it's a good temp-home until we get goon critical mass I guess.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hal_2005 posted:

If they don't get back to you in a few days I'll poke them.

On another note, active crew I've stashed my characters with is Davy Jones Locker. Not goon sanctioned but there are about 20 active pirates in there, so it's a good temp-home until we get goon critical mass I guess.

They got back to me, apparently when I did the migration, I changed my preferred email address, but they still sent all the migration confirmation stuff to the old one. :iiam:

Anyway, downloaded the client last night, not sure when I'll have a chance to log in beyond verifying that I still have my character (I do).

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Anyone still playing this?

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

iminers posted:

Anyone still playing this?

Yeah, I stashed Mikh in Davy Jones Locker, the only PVP Pirate guild that's active. If more goons want to drop in to play, they do nightly things, 80% of which are pvp.

Feel free to join. Game should pick up when the dev's decide to put it on Steam or Origin in 2H14.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I got in, sunk a fleet with the Invincible, looked at my stored ships, discovered that all my rates holds have been reduced massively for *reasons* (since they are all carrying more stuff than they actually can).

Realized that the only real fun I had in this game was port battles, which I will never have time to participate in these days due to how they are set up and scheduled, logged out.

Success.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

The Locator posted:

So I got in, sunk a fleet with the Invincible, looked at my stored ships, discovered that all my rates holds have been reduced massively for *reasons* (since they are all carrying more stuff than they actually can).

Realized that the only real fun I had in this game was port battles, which I will never have time to participate in these days due to how they are set up and scheduled, logged out.

Success.

Yeah, I've hit the wall too on this one. Developers, all 3 of them swear up and down the walls in email correspondence that pushing the game into Steam is important, as is the updates but the execution has been dissapointing to say the least.

On average a port battle usually happens around 7 to 10 EST, with 3 happening over a night. At the moment they are drop in & shoot stuff affairs. Often only 4 nationals will show up, so if you get around 6 rats together (ie. the Davy Jones guys) it's pretty much an exercise in pubby griefing. Milage may vary.

Will circle back on this one next week when the cannon nerfs go in. see how many rage quit.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Hal_2005 posted:

Yeah, I've hit the wall too on this one. Developers, all 3 of them swear up and down the walls in email correspondence that pushing the game into Steam is important, as is the updates but the execution has been dissapointing to say the least.

On average a port battle usually happens around 7 to 10 EST, with 3 happening over a night. At the moment they are drop in & shoot stuff affairs. Often only 4 nationals will show up, so if you get around 6 rats together (ie. the Davy Jones guys) it's pretty much an exercise in pubby griefing. Milage may vary.

Will circle back on this one next week when the cannon nerfs go in. see how many rage quit.

https://www.burningsea.com/

How are they going to push the game into steam when they can't even get a website going?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

By the looks of who is on it they don't have any artist or any of the old website art assets saved. So yah, integration to steam is a bit different than web design.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I still don't know how they could still be chugging along after all this time trying to get this game back up to par. They must be sharing a refrigerator box at this point or they had some really generous pensions they cashed in.

Edit: Or maybe they hide at a Public Storage and leech off the office wifi.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
The ship combat in this is really very good. Comparing it to something like Assassin's Creed IV just really boggles the mind, this is so intuitive. Have the devs posted much about how they're coming with Steam?

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

By the looks of who is on it they don't have any artist or any of the old website art assets saved. So yah, integration to steam is a bit different than web design.

The funny thing is that they claimed to be working on a new website in addition to the account system last summer, but I suppose they were mostly blowing smoke.

The worst part is the forums being gone. Eight years of walkthroughs, guides, and random information that you aren't going to be able to find anywhere else.

resconq
May 18, 2009
Is this game dead? I saw in the link provided that there is going to be server test this weekend. But I really don't want to test. Just play.

I played it way back at release, but got kind miffed at the political correctness. Fully half the British Army soldier NPCs in the various ports were females (It was the same in Spanish and French ports, iirc), and they looked a bit silly wearing the red coats and tricorns. It's a shame, because I thought the naval combat system was a decent simulation of 18th century warfare.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

resconq posted:

Is this game dead? I saw in the link provided that there is going to be server test this weekend. But I really don't want to test. Just play.

I played it way back at release, but got kind miffed at the political correctness. Fully half the British Army soldier NPCs in the various ports were females (It was the same in Spanish and French ports, iirc), and they looked a bit silly wearing the red coats and tricorns. It's a shame, because I thought the naval combat system was a decent simulation of 18th century warfare.

You need to head here: http://portalusgames.com/news
There are links to the left to play and download the game.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So will they ever fix the missing PhysX bug?

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Stevefin posted:

So will they ever fix the missing PhysX bug?

After speaking to the whole 2 employees of the company, I am pretty sure complex tasks like updating PhysX are beyond their skill set. Which is sad, game is still fun to piddle around in.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Wow, there's a really a pretty nice game underneath some of the unfortunate production value. The town music actually being made by musician NPCs was pretty cool too. I kind of freaked when I realized someone else remembered that the hurdy-gurdy exists.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Hal_2005 posted:

After speaking to the whole 2 employees of the company, I am pretty sure complex tasks like updating PhysX are beyond their skill set. Which is sad, game is still fun to piddle around in.

Yeah though I mean the error where the game won't launch cause PhysX files could not be found in the install directory, with a link to the page to fix it, which does not exist anymore

Zipline
May 9, 2013
The cannon update is live! Read about it here:
https://portalus-games.squarespace.com/news/2014/2/3/cannon-changes-part-1
What are your impressions, guys?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Zipline posted:

The cannon update is live! Read about it here:
https://portalus-games.squarespace.com/news/2014/2/3/cannon-changes-part-1
What are your impressions, guys?

How is this game still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The dev team is small.
The server cost isn't high.
They sell keys for chests and people eat them up.

• Locked thread