Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So hey, I just found out that Nvidia Shadowplay exists. Are there any downsides at all to using it? My test recording ended up at a buttery smooth 60 fps and 8 gigs large at 30 minutes of footage, compared to Fraps' 40 gigs of the same length. It seems so amazing, but there has to be a catch, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have a rendering related question. I've noticed that when my videos are rendered out, in the final version there is a fair bit of interlacing when I'm moving quickly, like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP1iXsMti-I&t=146s
(it's easy to see when I'm turning and stuff)

It's hard to convey what I'm talking about, but basically it makes the video look choppy even though it's perfectly smooth. It's kind of annoying to watch once you notice it happening. The interlacing is not there in the source video. I haven't got any idea why or how to solve this (because I am a lost cause when it comes to video rendering), but it's not present- or at least not as bad -in other videos I've watched which is what confuses me about it. I'll just dump my settings here, point out anything that sticks out as odd to you I guess:

edit: Maybe it's the games' motion blur messing with it? Help me I'm completely useless :confused:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 10, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Re: Syncing up lots of voices: Just count down from 3 and have everyone say 'sync', and have all of your co-commentators and yourself click record when you say it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have a real dumb question. I bought a Blue Snowball because I was tired of the crappy quality mic on my headset, and... where do I put the drat thing on my desk? I haven't ever used a desktop mic for recording before. If I put it right in front of me, it's also near the keyboard and thus it picks up on my key presses. Will it work anywhere as long as it's relatively close and I point it at myself, or will that have weird side effects?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I render a lower quality version of the video for the co-commentator to watch (usually only a couple hundred MB so it's easier for them to DL, but still HQ enough that they can make out what's happening easily too) and then upload it to mediafire or similar. That way we can sync our audio easier.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you're talking about things like stock sounds, in order to make sure they're safe (because I've gotten burned by those in the past too) I just go on YouTube to find what I'm looking for, then download the YouTube video as an MP3 with a converter. It's not the absolute highest quality audio because of YouTube's compression but stock sound effects usually aren't on their own anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

That could work then. Do you have a good/safe youtube-mp3 converter you'd reccomend?

http://convert2mp3.net/en/

This site has been up for years and has never given me any trouble. Suspicious Dish's links are also good in case you decide not to go this route.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To sync live commentary, start recording your voice audio before starting your video recording. Then, count down from 3 and say 'sync' as you hit the record button on your game. Also works with co-op commentary by having everyone else do it too. As for encoding, I can't really be of help there since I just render my final video straight from Sony Vegas, sorry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I have some advice for you all. If you are going to edit your 8 and a half hour Let's Play in one concurrent project file in your video editor of choice, make sure you have enough ram to handle doing that and don't try to load it up for editing-on-the-go on your lovely five year old laptop or it will crash and you will lose the whole file and have to edit it all over again.

This has been a public service announcement by Something Awful Forums poster CJacobs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Record the footage at 60 fps with whatever video recorder you want to use, then use this handy dandy tool to convert it to webm. VLC can do lossless video chopping if your source vid is too long or short or you just want a certain section of it.

edit: Here is an instructional WebM on the step by step process for how to use WebMConverter to make a WebM. Replace FRAPS with your recorder of choice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Crosspost from my Dead Space 3 thread, the audio in Dead Space 3 is a goddamn mess and I'd like advice if anyone has any to give:

CJacobs posted:

It is time to talk about the audio of Dead Space 3 for a little bit, namely the fact that the audio balancing is loving horrible. You may have noticed a few sudden volume changes whenever necromorph shootin' starts in the videos so far, and it's because unedited, the waveform for a given video looks like this:

(red lines indicate clipping audio)

See if you can spot what parts of this waveform are cutscenes and what parts are necromorph fighting. I know what you're thinking: "Holy poo poo what the gently caress did you do?!" The answer is absolutely nothing, this is just what happens to the game's audio because it has absolutely no normalization or equalization to speak of. I had this problem with Dead Space 1 too but that LP did not go on long enough for me to find a way to fix it; it's actually an issue with every game in the series. So far I've been manually editing it but I have been trying real hard to come up with a way to equalize it so that it's not godawful.

There is a particular issue with the sound effects that is kind of hindering my ability to just do normalization automatically and wipe my hands of it and that's that the game's audio is very, very bassy. Doing normalization automatically causes the bass to be crushed to the point of sounding tinny during firefights (it makes Isaac's guns sound hilariously wimpy, however) because there's just SO MUCH of a difference between the calm and the not calm parts.

Unfortunately changing the sound settings ingame actually does very little until you put one toward the extreme ends, at which point it either becomes almost inaudible or it vastly overpowers the rest. By default, all 3 volume settings: Music, Sound FX, and Voices are all at 100 and that waveform up there is what it looks like. All of the sounds are loud and crushed even if you set the voices and music to be higher and like I've been mentioning so far, the music overshadows the sound effects too at seemingly random intervals. It's really, really bad.

But anyway, my point is, I'm editing episode 5 right now and I'm trying to put a stop to it as best as I can so that I no longer have to manually edit the volume levels of every video. If I figure something out that works well I'll let you know, because the game's sound settings are too schizophrenic and poor to rely on.

If anyone DOES have some suggestions on how to fix this I'd be glad to hear them because at the moment I'm a little stumped, audio editing is not my field of expertise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

toddy. posted:

This might sound dumb but maybe turn down the program's audio in the volume mixer on the taskbar before you record the game? That usually does a good job of taking everything down a notch though I forget whether Fraps bypasses that level of control while recording, I never fully comprehended the "Magic That Fraps Do" despite using it for so many years now.

That's the problem I'm having, I can't do that because then the non-shooting parts would be completely inaudible. The shooting parts are extremely loud and anything that's not shooting is extremely quiet, but something tells me there's probably not a way to equalize the two in post without distorting one or the other.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I figured there would not be some kind of magical fix I could tactically employ. Oh well, thanks Dead Space 3 for reminding me you are a bad video game.

edit: vvv Ah, thank you, that'll be pretty useful I reckon.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 23, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pro tip for inspiring young LPers who do not defrag the hard drives where they store their lp files (by which I mean, me):

Do that. Otherwise you'll end up with 79% fragmentation on 600 gigabytes of video files. I was wondering why the thing was chugging like a freight train whenever I wanted to drop a video file into sony vegas and lo and behold I found this horrible mess. This isn't even all fraps files, it's mostly nvidia shadowplay! There's like 5 full game recordings in there!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 1, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Important update: Only 14 hours to go! :suicide:

Mico posted:

task scheduler is your friend

pick a night of the week to leave your computer on overnight and then schedule a weekly defrag to start then.

boom problem solved.

This is a good idea.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I use defraggler because a) it's free v:v:v and b) it shows you more in-depth info than windows does on its own. It also has its own scheduling type stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Modern windows auto-schedules defrags for platter drives what the gently caress.

It's funny, mine says it will do that, but it never, ever does. I've tried changing the day and time to other days and times but it never actually does it on its own. Defraggler's automatic scheduling works fine though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eh, you can find a 1 tb hard drive for like 60 bucks these days, that's definitely not that bad. Storage space is definitely the least expensive part (and you'll probably want that space for other things anyway if you play a lot of video games or whatever). One reason I like Nvidia Shadowplay is because the files it captures are very well optimized while retaining their quality, which allows for this:

That's five full LPs' worth of game footage and files (Dead Space 1, Dead Space 2, Dead Space 3, and two super special secret games I haven't posted about doing yet), at least 2 playthroughs' worth for each game. Meanwhile with Fraps that'd only be like one game, maybe.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 6, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey I don't have a question I'm just posting to say thank you Baldurk for creating LPix, it's so drat useful. I just uploaded like 50 images for my let's play and thanks to LPix and the Rightload plugin for it, it was easy as hell. It probably would've been a gigantic pain in the rear end anywhere else. :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, gif optimization wizards, I need some help. For the end of my Resident Evil: Revelations 2 LP, I want to do a series of images for all of the figurines because those are a staple of RE games and it's cool to have a model viewer type thing. Here's the problem I'm having:

The gifs are 14 mb large. They're so large, in fact, that I HAVE to host them on my puush for you to be able to see them, and sometimes they just decide not to load unless you refresh.

I want them to be at this size because it allows me to put information/bio stuff about the characters in the margins of their pic (which I haven't done yet at the time of posting this). So I ask you, tech support fort thread, because I don't know what I'm doing: Is there a way to make these be smaller in filesize while still mostly retaining the quality and image dimensions? I WOULD convert them to gifv/webm, which are much smaller and would have the same smoothness, but LPix doesn't accept images with the .webm file type!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Niggurath posted:

You could just upload the webm to imgur?

That's the problem I'm having. When the LP is finished and Baldurk puts it on the archive, all the non-lpix images will be put on lpix so they can be preserved, but since lpix can't do webms I'm stuck. I don't wanna put them on imgur because it's imgur and they remove images if they aren't looked at for a certain amount of time, and I don't want to leave them on my puush or dropbox because I only have a limited amount of space on them.

edit: Does imgur still delete images if you upload them from an account? If they just do it for anonymous uploads then screw it I'll just make an account to dump the webms on, that way Baldurk won't have to mess with anything.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 7, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, good. Well hell I'll just throw the gifs on imgur and let it convert them to gifv by itself then, save myself a step. The webm type it converts them to is only 1-2mb large which is kind of amazing. Webm really is a technological marvel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cake Attack posted:

if you have SALR you can enable embedded Webms, although that doesn't do anything about not being able to host them on lpix. also if you want to use them for an LP it'll only work if people have SALR

I'm not using them in-line, they're going to be linked from thumbnail images, like this:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shadowplay always splits recordings every 3.80 GB or 20 minutes, whichever comes first.

edit: Unless you're on Windows 8, which handles large single files like that better and doesn't have that limitation.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 18, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tae posted:

Does anyone know the max size of an image horizontally before it stretches the page?

About 1000 px, but to make life easier on Baldurk you should try to have your images be 900px wide max because that's the max width on the LP archive :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Turtlicious posted:

Is it better to record quiet and then up the volume using software?

Generally speaking, there are two facts to keep in mind in regards to recording audio:

- You can turn quiet audio up, but you can't turn clipping audio down. Once audio loudness during recording hits above the clipping threshold, lowering the volume in post will not remove the clipping and it'll still sound like scratchy poo. So it is better to record quiet than loud. However, it's also important to keep in mind that:
- Turning up quiet audio will not increase the audio's range. Just making something quiet louder will not make it more dynamic, and if you do it to something ESPECIALLY low it'll start sounding grainy and gross.

So, in general, it's better to record your audio with a lower gain so as to avoid clipping in general (just how much gain or what volume to record at is up in the air), but not so low that the audio has very little range with which to fill it out when you increase the volume in post.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As a Razer brand audio product I can guarantee personally without even having used it that it will be 100% overpriced and 50% of the quality advertised and will have a 5% chance of irreversibly breaking every time you use it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

So, I followed the instructions on how to make Sony Vegas not gently caress up your video files, and I rendered a 2 hour-long avi file, and it's 772 gigs large. Uh... is that supposed to happen? There's no way I can upload this monstrosity.

U-uh, no, that is not supposed to happen at all. :stare:

Mind taking a picture of your render settings?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did you uninstall Fraps? Fraps has to be installed in order for videos recorded using it to show up in editing programs, it uses its own weird special codec to display videos. I'm not gonna say that I had this same problem in the past and was incredibly frustrated by it, but I will very heavily imply it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hello I am having a weird non-standard problem that audio gurus might be able to help me out with. I am about to record a whole bunch of footage over and over and it's going to take a long time and be very boring, and what I'd like to do is entertain myself by listening to music or watching other LPs or whatever on my other monitor while I do that. The problem I'm having is that since I'm using my PC to do those things, the audio from whatever I'm doing logically would show up on the game recording since it just records all of my pc's sounds in general. So I ask you, tech support fort, is there a way to isolate my game audio and only my game audio for the recording using say Voicemeeter or similar?

edit: please don't respond with 'watch the other stuff on a different platform' if you don't know a way, I would not be asking this if that was an option.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ahh, recording through Audacity actually works! Here's what I did:

1. Set my default device to Virtual Audio Cable and launched the game, so that it would play on that track.
2. Set audacity to record Virtual Audio Cable.
3. Set my default device back to my speakers.
4. Launched some good old fashioned lettuce play entertainment via Chrome.
5. Started recording on Audacity and Shadowplay.

The audio I was listening to shows up on the shadowplay recording, but it doesn't matter because I can just replace it with the game audio! :toot:

Of course, I can't hear the game, but that doesn't really matter for what I'm doing so that's fine. If I wanted to do that I'm sure all I'd have to do is just plug in my real speakers and pipe the game through there and the rest through my headphones.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks! My process is pretty simple. First I simply record everything via shadowplay and then drop it into Sony Vegas to edit.

(here are my shadowplay settings, but they're basically just "everything at max" so v:v:v)

I have basically always used this as my project settings (I change the resolution appropriately but leave the rest as-is). Then I just do my editing with Sony Vegas because I could never really get into Adobe's video editing products. When it's time for commentary I just play the video in Sony Vegas while recording my voice with Audacity, and once I've exported that I drop it into the file and edit it until I've got all the timing and such down.

Next comes the only actually complex part of the process, which is doing my audio ducking-related shenanigans. Basically I render out the game audio by itself, then my edited commentary by itself, and do auto ducking in Audacity on the game audio. Then using Sony Vegas' handy-dandy surrogate file system, I just replace the game audio track in the project with the auto-ducked version and then it's good to go for rendering!

Before I do that though I run this script that automatically disables re-rendering because Sony Vegas applies this super ugly interlacing made for live-action cameras to every video clip dropped on it. There's no way to turn it off, so that script exists to select all your video files in your project and do it for you.

Then I render with these settings in 720p. In 1080p, I use 20mil bps instead. Then I upload it!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 19, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kenlon posted:

What's the best way to sync post-commentary with the footage you're talking over? Is there any way to trigger Audacity to record and at the exact same moment start up my video footage? I would prefer to automate as much of the syncing as possible, for obvious reasons.

Here are my steps:

1. Start recording on audacity
2. Set the video at 0:00
3. Count down from 3 and say 'sync'
4. Upon saying 'sync', play the video
5. There are no more steps, it's easy-peasy

It's not automated in any way, but you really don't need it to be. With more people, have everyone say 'sync' and click play when you do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

leekster posted:

Hey everyone. Does anyone here use shadowplay to record? It's the only recording software I can use that doesn't tank my framerate. What tips or tricks do you guys have to use it?

There aren't really any tips to give other than set it to the max bitrate and leave it there. v:v:v

edit: Also, you can record in a different resolution than you're playing in with no artifacting or smoothing etc, which I do sometimes. So if your PC can't handle 1080p video editing/rendering for some reason, you can play in 1080p and record in 720p.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I read the OP and didn't see anything directly mentioning this - But would this thread be the place for me to ask Why the heck my 1080p 60fps gameplay footage renders out of Sony Vegas at 1080p 60fps render settings and looks slightly worse than it did going in? and what the hell am I doing wrong?

There's basically no way to make it look exactly the same quality as the source footage. The source footage was recorded with either a very high bitrate (nvidia shadowplay, most game capture devices for consoles) or completely losslessly (Fraps, dxtory or open broadcaster software with the appropriate options checked). In order to make that a reasonable filesize and/or one singular video clip, it has to be compressed in some way and with video editing programs this is done by reducing the bitrate. If you want to make the end video be higher quality, increase the bitrate and it'll be clearer (at the expense of the file being larger and longer rendering times). But making the output look exactly like the source is a bit unfeasible. It's not necessarily impossible, but it's not worth the time/filesize/upload rate/etc.

That said, it really depends on what you mean by 'slightly worse'. What are your rendering settings? Do you mean literally in terms of quality, or blurring/interlacing/visual tearing? Because if it's the latter, Vegas has a few issues that cause that which you can solve pretty easily.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 25, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hmm. The colors being washed out just a bit is normal for rendering because of compression (though Vegas tends to crush darker colors instead of washing out lighter ones), but it shouldn't be that bad. Are you rendering it as an mp4? And are you using Vegas Pro or Vegas Movie Studio? It'll be easier to diagnose if you just screencap your render settings window. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Try rendering with similar settings, but with "MainConcept AVC/AAC" instead of "Sony AVC". It uses a different rendering... uh... style? system? I don't know the word for it, but it outputs an mp4 in the same way, but using a different compression method. Sony AVC's method might be what's causing the off colors.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can type in the box, and it'll render at whatever you put in, so just type 60.0 and it'll render at that. I render with MainConcept AVC/ACC and I had to do the same. It's weird that they allow that without just putting it in the drop down menu to begin with, but at least it works.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cool, glad I could help. As for the general quality, your bitrate is fine but you might want to look into this deinterlacing batch script. Since Sony Vegas is meant for editing live action video, it does this interlacing blur thing on video clips to make them look more smooth when they have a variable framerate. With real life footage this works... okay, I guess. But video game footage is 2 dimensional and everything on screen has a hard edge (even stuff that is anti aliased), so the blur looks super ugly and does nothing but increase your render time because it re-renders a bunch of stuff.

If you hit ctrl+a before you render your video and run that script, it'll set this option in the properties section of all of your video clips:

Automatically, without you having to do it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Try finding a bit where the only audio is the controller, and after highlighting that segment, going to 'noise removal' and setting the controller sounds as your noise profile. Then do noise removal on the whole thing and see what happens. It doesn't always work, but I've found that sometimes that does the trick for my mouse clicks/keyboard presses.

And yeah, click removal is functionally useless, it seems.