Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
CyberLink's PowerDirector + AudioDirector are at -75% for Christmas. I can get them for 64€ instead of 319. I'm willing to spend the 64€ as a Christmas present for myself. Are those software worth the price or would the free ones still be better?

Also, as a quick check, with a 2TB HDD I should be fine to record a 1080p@60 Hz video of ~1 hour right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Furism posted:

CyberLink's PowerDirector + AudioDirector are at -75% for Christmas. I can get them for 64€ instead of 319. I'm willing to spend the 64€ as a Christmas present for myself. Are those software worth the price or would the free ones still be better?

Just wanted to say that after a few afternoons of tinkering with PowerDirector and AudioDirector I really don't regret spending the 64 eurobucks on it. It even comes with a desktop/game video capture that'll encode to H.264 on the fly (using the hardware acceleration of Nvidia), the software is very stable and there are tons of tutorials online. Being a total video editing newbie, I don't feel overwhelmed but there are many features I haven't touched yet.

Anyway, that was my two cents.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there no way to edit an audio track if it's been muxed in a MP4/MKV/AVI file? OBS seems to generate AAC audio, Dxtory defaults to PCM, but when I demux the files most audio players/editors can't play them (I think because it's "raw" and some of the timings info is in the container?). I'd like to edit the tracks post-record, but that seems like a complicated thing to do.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Nidoking posted:

Have you tried Audacity's Import Raw Data? That worked for me once when I somehow ended up with a raw audio track. Otherwise, a simple Avisynth script with the right source filter will let you open the video in VirtualDub, which can then export the audio as a WAV that just about anything (including Audacity again) should be able to play.

Yes, and that doesn't work either :( I think I'll just convert the AAC files to WAV using foobar (which uses LAME itself). I'm just surprised that there is no recording software that'll provide the audio as separate, non-raw files!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
How do I setup OBS to improve the video quality when I use Nvidia's encoder? So far I have this, but it's not really good. Ideally I'd like to have a super high quality and re-encode it later on at 30 Mbps (which is pretty high already).

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Mico posted:

Between 20-22 seems to be the sweet spot for MeGUI as far as I have figured out.

Geemer posted:

Fiddle with the QP numbers, lower number means higher quality. Don't just use 1 as it's a waste of space and processing power. MeGUI suggests using 16 as a minimum but warns that that may not even be worth the overhead. Especially when you're also trying to run a game on the side.
But I only have experience with CPU-based encoding, not with GPU-based.

Also, just use constant quality for your final render, it'll save space and potentially look better than using a fixed bitrate.

Perfect advice, a value of 20 is indeed much better. Thanks!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Xenoveritas posted:

Well... I wouldn't trust SourceForge not to bundle malware. They're triggering Chrome warnings for a reason, and the reason is because they're scum.

Just to clarify on that, they don't bundle malware. They bundle adware (you could consider that malware I guess, but it doesn't do any actual harm) unless the project maintainer says otherwise. But they're still scum (the parent company is - they kind of killed Slashdot and now Sourceforge).

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have a bit of a problem. I reinstalled my PC and downloaded the latest version of OBS but I don't find the same video encoding settings I had in the past. And now when I record, the result looks like poo poo.

In the past I had this:

Now all I see is this:

As far as I can tell all that's changed is the encoder. Used to be NVIDIA NVENC H.264 Media Foundation, now I just have NVENC (there's also QuickSync and X.264). The problem is no matter what setting I used, it's looks quite bad and blurry around the edges. Changing the bitrate or CQP value doesn't seem to have any impact.

Is there any way to fix this?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I found my issue. OBS was somehow re-scaling to 720p even though I didn't check that ANYWHERE. Once I set the re-scaling to 1080 (like the original video) all is good now.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
OBS Studio, indeed I found it much better than the original.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just wanted to say that I recently switched from Audacity to Reaper and I really don't regret it. It *is* 80$ but really worth the price if you can afford it. It's non destructive so effects are applied instantly, you can do advanced things like audio ducking, there are tons of built in effects, etc. It's normally made for musicians but works just fine for LP's/podcasts.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Snak posted:

Does it have built in gate and expander? Audacity does everything i want except those two things, and from what I read the autogate plugins you can get are kind of iffy and have trouble with long clips. Since I'm processing 20-30 minute commentaries, I'm not gonna gently caress around with something that people have trouble getting to do 10 minute sections.

As it is, I just do my gating in Premiere, since that's where I'm doing the rest of my editing.

Yes those FX are built-in. Also they are applied instantly so 20-30 min isn't a problem. They have an eval version with no limitations you should check it out.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I use PowerDirector and it's pretty bad at encoding with a good balance of quality and video size. So I first encode with PD in super high quality then transcode with ffmpeg. Is this stupid or smart?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

hopeandjoy posted:

Is there a good free video capturing software for PC? Although I want to do a screenshot LP, I heard it's easier to capture screenshots from a video, plus there are some animated cutscenes I'd like to catch on video.

Definitively OBS studio.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
If you're really bent on a GUI, try this: https://handbrake.fr/

I haven't tried it because I use a PowerShell script for ffmpeg (honestly that works fine) but I heard good things about it. Also, :france:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Doc Morbid posted:

Well, like I said it's really not a big deal to sync it back up in Vegas. I'll give OBS another go at some point, the last time I used it Vegas didn't like the file very much and the colors were all hosed up.

If you go for MP4 files and the Nvidia encoder you should be fine. These are my settings and I've never had a problem (I don't use Vegas but PowerDirector instead, and the files play on every single player I've tried so Vegas should be fine) :

This produces videos with pretty much no loss of quality (with two audio tracks in my case, one for the game and the second for the mic).

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Steak Eater posted:

I actually have a question relating to that since I used .FLV to avoid loss.
...How the gently caress do I use .FLV in anything? Otherwise, is there a good way to convert .FLV to .MP4 after the fact?

FLV is just a container format. You can demux the video and audio tracks and remux them into MP4 and vice-versa.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

nielsm posted:

You mean the level meter occasionally hits 0 dB? When I have a good mix for computer input, it's more like it occasionally hits -20.

About this. What level does everybody aim for for their final mix? I'm aiming for ~ -6 dB (and no peaking of course) because a producer from a Public Radio service that did a few good Reaper tutorials said that's what he's aiming for. Since his audio was so great I just do the same. I think it sounds alright, especially because with auto-ducking the voice never "lost" in the middle of the game's sounds, but I was wondering what's everybody's take on this.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just for the record, if you want to mix a mic and an audio track for a video, you should get a proper DAW program (I recommend Reaper) and use auto-ducking so the volume of the game gets lower when the microphone track is active (ie: when you speak). You can't really tell the volume goes down but the voice is much, much more present and clearer it's day and night. You can also improve the sound of your voice using compressors, EQ or other plugins.

You don't have to, it's just the cherry on the cake imo.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just wanted to post here because this might be of interest to some, there's a new major release of OpenShot: http://www.openshotvideo.com/2016/08/openshot-21-released.html

It's a multi-plat open source video editing tool that looks not half-bad. Haven't tried it yet honestly but again, thought some people here might be interested.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Anybody using a Yeti Blue would mind posting their settings? I'm playing with the Gain and Windows Input Levels but it still picks up way too much noise and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What's everybody's trick to not record the mouse clicks? Short of playing with a heavy sheet/blanket over your mouse. My Yeti just picks every little noise up, which is expected, but I'd like to make clicks a little more discreet.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I'm not very good at post-recording commentary so I'll try to edit out the clicks.

Nidoking posted:

Failing that, I use a commercial click repair program that can help eliminate the click noises without hurting the rest of the audio too much.

What program do you use? I already bought Reaper so if you know of a good VST plugin to do that that'd be great.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Spy_Guy posted:

I was concerned about this at first, but eventually I found that it doesn't really matter all that much if you have the mic closer to your face than the mouse and get a good signal-to-noise ratio. Also, the game audio tends to drown any minor clicks and the like out, I find.

I don't know, with my Yeti right in front of me (but not too close) the Logitech MX Master I have sounds crystal-clear.

It is true that in some cases people like that, but my LP is about a very click-heavy game (Pillars of Eternity) and sometimes even I get distracted by it when I rewatch an episode :/

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

CJacobs posted:

Question: Is there a way via a plugin or maybe an option somewhere to have OBS automatically split videos at an arbitrary filesize a la Shadowplay or Fraps in the days of yore? Some of my recording sessions go on uninterrupted for hours at a time, and Sony Vegas just hates previewing files that big. The playback itself while editing is just fine, but it takes ages to update the preview window while I'm paused and scrolling through the timeline. Although if there's a way to fix that instead, that'd be nice. For the Vegas users out there, is there a way to make the preview window update faster?

edit: I mean, I say this like it's a huge issue, but it's only like 1 second. But still, it's a very annoying 1 second!

You could use My MP4Box GUI to do just that:

I use that program to demux the MP4 files generated by OBS so I can edit the audio separately and it works very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
WMWare Workstation is free now and it's better than Hyper-V (feature wise), if you don't have Hyper-V. It's definitively better than this piece of poo poo VirtualBox.