Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Great thread, dude. Truly excellent. I'm enthralled.

The worst thing about people with Borderline Personality Disorder is that they're SO GODDAMN HARD TO LOVE. My first instinct when I meet a girl who seems to behave this way is to loving cut and run. They've got psychological struggles - like we all do. I do. Major depressive, general and social anxiety, and I'm a recovering drug addict ( sometimes I'm secretly jealous of you guys with bipolar because at least SOMETIMES you're happy :) ) Thankfully my meds work very well, and I'm working a 12-step program, which is awesome.

But if someone you love is Borderline... Or someone your trying to love, what do you do? Such a hard goddamn dichotomy where you care about the person and you see that they've got these issues and realize them for what they are, but everything they do drives you away. And you can only let it take so much of yourself before it's in your best interest to look out for number 1. When you guys keep saying "Man, I hope Sharon gets her's", all I keep thinking is that chick needs HELP, not revenge. But then, she's a huge bitch that I hope I never meet. So, she's a huge bitch that needs help, just not from me.

It makes me think of that Mitch Hedburg joke "Alcoholism is the only disease you can get yelled at for having."

What Sharon could use is an intervention. If only that we're possible...

I keep hearing people say "Some people with Borderline Personality Disorder can recover with therapy", is the success rate really that bad? Why? Does anyone here know a person with Borderline that HAS gotten better? What a bummer that disorder is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Wow, man - that was amazingly insightful. I can tell you've got a passion for psychology; passion plays into someone's understanding of something, and it shows here.

Thank you for doing the lord's work - and doing it so well.

I actually just got out of a DBT group therapy session as I'm writing this (as part of my intensive out-patient program for my drug addiction), and so much of what you said jived with what the hot therapist taught us. Matter of fact, when I was reading your awesome description of BPD, I started thinking that DBT would line up with that perfectly - based on my meager understanding.

• Locked thread