Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the aesthetic of the space ghost ship. It looks digital and organic at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

SelenicMartian posted:

On their own ship :downs:

Croccers posted:

Master plan uncovered!
They're kidnapping humans/aliens from our system so they can turn them into Doormen.
Space is a complicated place, allright? :v:

Glazius posted:

I like the aesthetic of the space ghost ship. It looks digital and organic at the same time.
Oh hey, that's a good way to describe it! One thing that I wondered about was actually the organic aspect of the design. It's not like the watchers have anything organic about them. Seeing how little they get explained, I suspect the design documents had way more info on them. Maybe they even started as an organic race that at some point evolved into higher beings?

It would explain why they have these strange creatures on their doors.

Also, sorry for yet another delay! I'm editing but I got caught up by other stuff. I never meet the deadlines I put out, but expect the last video sometime this week. I should manage that :)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Chapter 11 - Face Off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF9PnGvXyio
After reversing the wormhole, Mace now has to face the Watcher in Richter's body, before he can destroy the Watcher station and prevent an invasion of the Vagnar system.

Since it came up, here is a link to my savegame. So if you want to play the cool parts of this game without suffering through the bad ones, here you go. Afaik, you just need to unzip the files into the save folder.

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
Mace Griffin may have not been a great game, but this was a great thread. Thanks for all the hard work. Now I am off to watch all videos again a grab your unofficial soundtrack.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I loved the aesthetic of the final area, it looked awesome and the space combat looked like a lot of fun... except for that one section which looked hard and tedious as balls.

Thank you super much for showing this off! And the music, music was top notch you made this a fun experience.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
That delicate-maneuvering section made me flash back to Darkstar One and its lovely tunnel section. It may be tedious here, but at least there aren't moving walls, timed doors (whoops, spoke too soon), tiny little wall turrets, and mines as well!

silentbrains
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for all the rad music! Bought a fair number of the tracks you used.
Not much to say about the game. Seamless transition from fps to space combat was really interesting, though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

That death was hilarious. Sideshow Bob waked through a field of rakes with more dignity.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tin Tim posted:

I looked at a walkthrough back when I was young and still remembered that :ssh:

But as far as I know, the only hint that you get is that Richter uses it when he confronts you and the already possessed Grier. It's a real shaky hint but I don't think that there is anything else. So going by that, the devs expected you to realize that, use the weapon, and then find out why the beam eventually glows blue when you zap the watchers. Yeah, let that one sink in. It's super dumb, and an easy fix would have been to have Richter drop his gun in that scene, and let Mace say a line about how that weapon could be useful against the watchers. You'd still have to figure out the mechanic, but it would at least be something.

My thing with the Watcher Gun is that they gave it to you like 5 missions into the game and you never had a reason to use it once. Most players would have forgotten it was in their inventory at that point sort of like how a ton of FPS' at that time would throw a ton of weapons at you and you would just never have need of the early game weapons after the first couple hours.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

That death was hilarious. Sideshow Bob waked through a field of rakes with more dignity.
Oh yeah: that double-impalement was just so ridiculous. :D

Thanks for LP'ing this game, Tin Tim, and for the great music selection.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

I liked the ending. I mean after playing through this entire game it might not have been enough, but as a person just watching, it was enough. Like you said, not an amazing ending, but it was a decent ending. I have to say though, I was laughing hysterically watching you crash into poo poo in the last part. The doors that open ever so slowly was a fantastic dick move. When the final cutscene started, I thought you had crashed your ship and died again because the doors weren't opening.

I really want to know why the didn't go with the open-world GTA game they where originally going to make. I mean they had all the assets, why not just let you fly from mission to mission instead of loading screens?

Thanks for showing us this game! Great LP

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013
Thanks for all the hard work TinTim! Especially for the music!

To be honest, I never heard of New Retro Wave or any of the music that you were playing at the beginning. I can't stop listening to it now! :argh: (I also found out that a guy I used to go to school with was featured in one of your videos (ironically for one of the most bullshit parts in the game).

In all seriousness, thanks for the great work, and thanks for showing off this uhh.. unpolished game.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
That was a magical ending. Not only did it have one the longest death animations in video game history, but it had slow-mo stone faced Mace AND his ghost friends.

I don't know what to think of the people who made this game, but it's a shame they didn't have more time to round out this uneven mess.

Thanks for the LP, Tin Tim!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:lol: Being impaled once is not enough! NOT ENOUGH! We require more impalement! More!

Good show. :golfclap:

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
While the Rangers were reformed, Mace himself was sent out to pasture, because seriously, he's an emotionless psychopath that has such terrible PTSD that he hallucinates that the ghosts of his dead comrades follow him everywhere.

That, or maybe new Watchers are formed from the ghosts of people slain by Watchers! My god, of course! The Watcher realm was Hell, and Mace Griffin: Psychopathic Automaton saved us all from the vengeance of the angry dead!

Anyway, thanks for the LP, Tin Tim!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm glad that y'all enjoyed the thread! It's especially cool to hear that some folks grabbed some of the music after hearing it. New retro or whatever you wanna call it has kind of a bad reputation, because it's a genre that a lot of people jump in to produce garbage. But I hope that I showed a few artitst that make legit sweet tunes. I'll keep the thread open for now, as I'm not sure if the on-site archive trouble has been resolved yet. Probably will bug Geop about that while I send off a mail to Baldurk for the usual archive request.

For the people that care about what I'll do in the future, let me say that it'll probably be a little while before I make a full blown video LP again. Got some ideas, but just don't feel like it atm. I'll probably go back to my roots for now, and make an SSLP for some tactics game next. Fallout Tactics or the Silent Storm series are hot contenders. We'll see!

Shadow gamer posted:

Now I am off to watch all videos again a grab your unofficial soundtrack.
Just to point this out for everyone, every song used in the LP is linked in the second post for ease of jamming.

SelenicMartian posted:

I legit laughed when I recorded that part. It's so over the top you just gotta love it. It's not enough that he gets a spike through one half of his body, nope, gotta have him fall down to also get impaled :v:

Lazyfire posted:

My thing with the Watcher Gun is that they gave it to you like 5 missions into the game and you never had a reason to use it once. Most players would have forgotten it was in their inventory at that point sort of like how a ton of FPS' at that time would throw a ton of weapons at you and you would just never have need of the early game weapons after the first couple hours.
Oh yeah, totally. I'd bet that a significant number of players tried the gun, thought that it's just a lame stun ray, and forgot about it forever. Such a bad design choice!

fullTimeLurker posted:

I liked the ending. I mean after playing through this entire game it might not have been enough, but as a person just watching, it was enough. Like you said, not an amazing ending, but it was a decent ending. I have to say though, I was laughing hysterically watching you crash into poo poo in the last part. The doors that open ever so slowly was a fantastic dick move. When the final cutscene started, I thought you had crashed your ship and died again because the doors weren't opening.

I really want to know why the didn't go with the open-world GTA game they where originally going to make. I mean they had all the assets, why not just let you fly from mission to mission instead of loading screens?
Yeah, the ending is decent enough. But the thing that I missed was a bit more about what happens to Mace. Like, we can assume that he's back with the Rangers but they could have done a little thing for him. Make him Ranger captain and have a bunch of cadets salute him or something like that. He earned it, dammit!

Also, gently caress those doors! The first one I can see as a little obstacle to throw you off, but that last loving door before the cutscene triggers is bullshit. Imagine if you already wrecked your ship, see the light at the end and floor it, only to die on that last door :qq:

I would assume that the GTA concept got dropped because Warthog was punching above their weight. As sweet as the idea is, it's also a crap ton of work to realize. The final game was still above their weight, but a more realistic goal to accomplish.

Hyperman1992 posted:

To be honest, I never heard of New Retro Wave or any of the music that you were playing at the beginning. I can't stop listening to it now! :argh: (I also found out that a guy I used to go to school with was featured in one of your videos (ironically for one of the most bullshit parts in the game).
Lol, that's a neat coincide!

PRL412 posted:

That was a magical ending. Not only did it have one the longest death animations in video game history, but it had slow-mo stone faced Mace AND his ghost friends.
That thumbs up almost killed me. I was very close to grabbing a screen for the thread, but I just couldn't ruin the surprise. Despite doing the least, Del Krugo managed to be the best NPC :v:

AltaBrown posted:

Mace Griffin: Psychopathic Automaton
lmao

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 27, 2014

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

I legit laughed when I recorded that part. It's so over the top you just gotta love it. It's not enough that he gets a spike through one half of his body, nope, gotta have him fall down to also get impaled :v:
And the reason he gets impaled twice is because that energy flow decided to reverse at random without any visual indication: he just stumbles in, flies upwards, gets impaled, then falls down and gets impaled again. There is no reason why it should happen that way, and yet it does and it's all the more hilarious because of it! :D

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Thanks for the wonderful LP Tin Tim!

The game was a mixture of really cool, hilarious and terrible... but your LP turned the entire thing into 100% entertainment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yes, thanks so much for it! I never got past the second job (the one on the mining asteroid) when I played this game as a kid, so this is basically seeing everything my childhood missed.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

You know what? The funniest part of the game wasn't the inept story telling, the terrible pacing, the random enemy rushes, the endless sections where you needed to know exactly where each sniper was or anything like that. It was when Tim realized the only way he could progress in the watcher ship was to simply run and skip through it hoping for the best. Who playtested that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

You know what? The funniest part of the game wasn't the inept story telling, the terrible pacing, the random enemy rushes, the endless sections where you needed to know exactly where each sniper was or anything like that. It was when Tim realized the only way he could progress in the watcher ship was to simply run and skip through it hoping for the best. Who playtested that?

What's a playtest?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

What's a playtest?

'Tis a mythical process oft spoken of in hushed and reverent tones by older developers...when it is spoken of at all.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

What's a playtest?

Star Citizen is a play test. In that it is a test to see how much people will pay to play the "Game." in a way Chris Roberts learned from Mace Griffin.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

They knew :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cabby Cabison is the hero we deserve.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Did I ever mention my new favorite thing is making GIFs? Well, it is:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
As far as the ending goes, it makes sense to me. I mean, obviously it's sequel bait, but it's what I'd expect to see at the end of Mace Griffin: The Movie.

Now, the final level with its underwhelming boss and blind escape sequence, that makes less sense.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's odd to say, but I actually miss the very early game stuff. The intro level, first Order level on the temple ship, and the mine level are all noticeably different from each other and have different enemy designs that make it look like the game is going to be making an attempt to innovate with each level.

Then you get to the fourth level and see them starting to recycle the enemies from the beginning of the game. Then you see them again, and again, and again.....

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It's odd to say, but I actually miss the very early game stuff. The intro level, first Order level on the temple ship, and the mine level are all noticeably different from each other and have different enemy designs that make it look like the game is going to be making an attempt to innovate with each level.

Then you get to the fourth level and see them starting to recycle the enemies from the beginning of the game. Then you see them again, and again, and again.....
Well, I have to agree that it's kinda boring that they used the same enemies so many times. But on the other hand, at least they made an effort to shake up the settings for each mission. And I guess you run into budget problems when you create all those assets/textures, and then also want a really wide range of enemy models. Though, at least the generic bandit models slowly phase out when the Tannan corp gets more relevant, so it's not like there isn't any variety at all.

Glazius posted:

As far as the ending goes, it makes sense to me. I mean, obviously it's sequel bait, but it's what I'd expect to see at the end of Mace Griffin: The Movie.

Now, the final level with its underwhelming boss and blind escape sequence, that makes less sense.
I did like that it's not too sequel baity though. I mean, I said that I would have liked to get a few more words about what Mace will do, but if they intended that to be a sequel hook, then I'm fine with it.

Also lol, please Hollywood make a budget movie about Mace Griffin with Henry Rollins as the lead :allears:

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I saved your MaceSave file on the off chance I ever get round to playing this myself, so thanks for that. Watching your LP is infinitely more preferable to playing through the entire game... but the occasional good bits of the game were actually pretty drat good.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I did a couple videos of co-commentary on this LP and all I got was

Goddamnit, Tim.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Could've been worse - he could've have given you a copy of Mace Griffin.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

AltaBrown posted:

Hey, now: at least in Mace Griffin you do have a few fun moments. :colbert:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AltaBrown posted:

He offered, but I said "give me a game that's got slightly better production values and you can actually beat without cheesing the last half hour" and here we are.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazyfire posted:

He offered, but I said "give me a game that's got slightly better production values and you can actually beat without cheesing the last half hour" and here we are.

Does he not know that rats love cheese?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Goddamnit, Tim.

Be careful what you say around me :v:

Also fun fact: I originally wanted to make you an iso of the game, but I don't think you would have downloaded 2,5Gigs for a joke. The game came with four CDs back in the days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tin Tim posted:

Be careful what you say around me :v:

Also fun fact: I originally wanted to make you an iso of the game, but I don't think you would have downloaded 2,5Gigs for a joke. The game came with four CDs back in the days.

drat you for using my words against me.

I have surprisingly good internet for an American so 2.5 gigs is a few minutes at most, unless you try to send me something over Skype, which hates trying to download anything.

I would have treated it like most of the games I have on steam: I own them but I've never launched them.

• Locked thread