Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just found out about this show from the gif thread. It was described to me as "It's like if in Back to the Future Marty was younger and Doc was his alcoholic meth addicted grandpa"

God drat, what a lot of fun.

I love that Morty's father is Cyril Figgus from Archer. Hell, it's almost the same character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Still a week until the next episode, dammit. Well, could be worse. Could be Gravity Falls.

Or Venture Brothers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yeah, most shows give you a bit more than 3 measly episodes before they take their first break. Even worse when it's a show as good as this one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That was a hell of a lot of fun. The part where Rick and Morty did the condensed dark matter rap in front of the crowd and Rick kept giving out ever more insane instructions had me rolling.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I first thought the aliens were torturing SpongeBob SquarePants when I saw that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

CelticPredator posted:

I really liked the moment between Rick and Morty in the crystal chip room. That was a nice sweet moment. It's nice the show can bust those out without making it a big deal.

It's like Pick said a few posts above you, Rick might be not operate by any standard definition of morality, but he genuinely cares for his family. Even when escaping from a hostile alien vessel he's not beyond taking a moment to play with his grandson :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I was originally going to transcribe that whole section, but goddamn no. Here's a gif instead:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And not to mention the blatant continuity error in the last episode! Rick clearly states that condensed dark matter is 2 parts plutonic quartz and one part caesium, then a bottle full of water.

When they're in the spaceship, we clearly see Morty add two parts of a pink liquid, then one part or a green liquid.

But, when the aliens go to make it, they add two parts of a green liquid, then one part pink.

I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic plutonic quartz or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It certainly left me stunned.

I can understand thematically why they did it. It's just, wow, the attempted rape of a child by someone who turned out to be a serial predator of children was literally the last thing I ever expected to see tonight.

At the start of it, I thought they were going to stop when the jelly bean first grabbed Mort and acted sleazy. Then it kept going. Then Mort was forced over the sink with the guy drooling into his face. Then they were in the toilet stall. Then it got really violent leaving Mort on the floor covered in blood, screaming. Then we next see him go up to Rick traumatised and crying, begging to go home.

But sure, apart from that, it was a blast.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I've been trying to better put into words my thoughts on the episode now that it's been a few days and I've watched it again and the creators have spoken up. There's one scene about halfway through the episode, when Rick and Morty are in court and the lawyer who works for a little people advocacy group appears. He says, "These little men were never read their giant rights and are therefore free fi to foe home." Everyone in the court acts confused, so he explains, "They're free to go is what I meant. I'm deconstructing our thing we say for giants. Nobody got that?"

I think that sentence is basically what this episode is about. Everything gets deconstructed and our expectations turned upside down. The Meseeks only exist to serve their purpose then die, but they're fine with that. In fact they want it. The giant who had treasure was just some guy. We expected a treasure room and maybe fighting a monster, we saw a courtroom and a murder trial.

Summer and Beth give the Meseeks apparently difficult tasks and we expect them to cause chaos, but they succeed wonderfully. Jerry asks a simple question, just like Rick told him to, but it ends in a hostage crisis in a restaurant's walk in refrigerator.

When Rick and Mort finally make it back to the village with his poker winnings and we're told the king is coming to thank them, we think poor Mort might just get his good ending. But the king is, of course, the pervert from the toilet.

Even the post credits scene, with the photos in the cardboard box continues the theme. The king's secret is hidden when we might expect revelation. And of course, there is no magical, "it's all right" to make us all smile. Ricks murders the king but his people will never know why. They were saved but will forever think they have lost a great leader.

Of course, even the toilet rape scene was part of this. We initially saw Morty get some great words of encouragement and maybe expect him to walk out of there with renewed vigour and take real charge of their quest. Instead we got a sleazy scene. And we might have expected it to end when the jelly bean first gets creepy, but those expectations were turned on their heads, too when the scene continued on to the point where it became upsetting to a lot of people.

In fact, I can't think of a single scene (except maybe, Rick shooting the king) were what happened is what we expected to happen.

And the way Rick goes wakka wakka wakka at the end with his family, mugging to an audience and breaking the fourth wall. I think that might well have been the creators taking the roll of the giant lawyer and asking us, "We're deconstructing the things we see in cartoons and comedy. Nobody got that?"

Or I might be completely wrong and it was the creators saying, "Hey, it's just a cartoon. Don't get too worked up, it's just supposed to be a bit of fun."

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 23, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm surprised that there hasn't actually been any yelling or brouhaha in the last week. Everyone's been pretty cool, no matter what their perspective on things.

I think it's because everyone's still onboard with the show.

Also, I went through the epiode again, just checking out the incredible detail in the backgrounds, and noticed this:

Giant penny.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 24, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Tokubetsu posted:

I mean, how many times can Morty bury his own corpse and kill his parents before he picks up the bottle too?

They weren't his real family! They were clones from an alternate reality possessed by demonic alien spirits from another dimensions's future!

I agree with everyone who's guessed that Rick's apathy towards the world is because he's jumped ship possibly dozens of times.

Fooz posted:

So I think this was supposed to be the second episode and they bumped it up according to some interview, which makes sense to me, the humor didn't feel quite as developed as the last two.

I swear, if they had actually shown this as the second episode, I would have lost my mind. But I'm glad they gave us a chance to get used to the family before 'replacing' them. It helps puts us in Morty's shoes at the end where he's walking around stunned looking at the world which is simultaneously his home and utterly alien.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 28, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I like to think that this show will go on for a long time and maybe, in season 5 or something, Universe 1 Summer will step out of a portal all Indiana Jonesed up and reveal that she is now an interdimensional bounty hunter who has been sent from their original universe to drag Rick and Morty back to face justice for the crime of Cronenberging their world.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The weird :3 mouth thing is the only part I find weird

I thought it was weird as hell, but now I've noticed it in Adventure Time, too!

EDIT - Found it!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 4, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

CelticPredator posted:

Pulling a Gravity Falls. :(

As long as it doesn't pull a Venture Brothers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
This is great news, I never doubted it for a second.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
He could have just gone straight back home through the interdimensional customs area, grabbed fresh batteries for his portal device and then gone back for the seeds :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Finally! We're almost there. I think I may be more excited to see the next episode of Rick and Morty than I am to see the next episode of Hannibal.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I took it that the E. coli were wearing the bacteriophages like battle armour :pseudo:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

JediTalentAgent posted:

Maybe it's just me, but this is the second really polarizing episode and also the second one where Rick does a goofy catchphrase and breaks the fourth wall, isn't it? I don't know if that warrants guessing that there's a writers' room discussion over the plots and someone saying, "Just have Rick say something goofy and address the audience as an acknowledgement that controversial elements of this episode were not to be taken seriously."

I now like to think that Rick from the show and Rick from the commercials are the same person. He knows he's on a TV show, is the main character and therefore cannot die and thus simply does not give a poo poo about anything that happens around him.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I....I really want that multiverse TV.

What would blow me right the gently caress away is if one of the family happens to turn the channel to the world Rick and Morty are originally from.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
This episode was so loving good I may well have lost my goddamn mind.

The bit after the credits with Hamsters that Live In Peoples' Butts World was sublime.

Also, with the end of this episode, I hope Beth and Jerry are a little happier with each other. Now they know that, no matter what achievements they might have made alone, their other selves were never happy and always considered their time together the greatest time of their lives :3:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You believe you eat breakfast 20 feet away from your corpse?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I absolutely loved this gag. In fact, the entire Hamsters In Butts World end scene was fantastic.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I saw 40 posts in the thread and thought there must have been an episode after all :emo:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pakled posted:

When Evil Rick turned out to be a robot, but before the Evil Morty reveal, I totally expected Doofus Rick to be the one behind it.

He wasn't really a robot, he was a Rick who was being controlled by Evil Morty who had stuck a bunch of wires and crap into his head and turned him into a puppet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I would hope that once you have a megaseed up your arse you're capable of thinking of a better way to get the super intelligence without all the debilitating paralysis and incontinence. Some sort of purification process, perhaps?

Not having to shove gigantic seeds up your bum would probably be at the top of the to-do list as well, I expect.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Rick and Morty: It's like the N word and the C word had a baby and it was raised by all the bad words for Jews.

Pity it's too long for a new thread title :(

Typical posted:

Totally got to color that guy

I absolutely loved the colouring for him. I'm guessing he was inspired by the Hawk from Buck Rogers?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Hey, given that was actually have people who worked on the show in this thread, can one of you guys ask Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon what's so bad about puffy vaginas?

Because it's really been bugging me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

VideoTapir posted:

You wanna notice something about the end of that episode, notice how they were slaughtering Cronenbergs, but the Cronenbergs weren't actually trying to hurt them, they were just sorta standing around.

Rick had completely cured them of the "mate with then eat Morty" urges. They were ugly as hell, but they were all 'normal' people on the inside.

By the end of the episode, Beth, Jerry and Summer were pretty much a family of travelling serial killer cannibals.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

They should have sent a poet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
This was posted in the funny pictures thread.

Looks like someone's been to the fake door salesman.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to work out what I was looking at.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 28, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Never underestimate Rick's love of being a dick.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Meets Harry Potter.

Meets Herbie the Love Bug.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Finally something good has come from American football.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm a grown rear end man who can't even colour inside the lines consistently so I'm gonna stand over here in the corner and sulk.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I liked the idea of Too Many Cooks, I just found the execution (:rimshot:) dull.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That gif is loving horrifying.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
What's the pot for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Buzkashi posted:

Assuming those are all alternate realities of Jessicas, it'd be pretty great if one of them had an eyepatch too

But Evil Morty only wore the eyepatch to hide the tech he was using to control Evil Rick.

• Locked thread