Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Rockopolis posted:

To be fair, Char Aznable sounds like a made up name, too. Because it is.

Not quite, it's a mild corruption of the totally real Charles Aznavour.

Anyway, an LP about Giren's Greed? Think I'll lurk a while. I've been intrigued by the series for a long time but never played it because Language Barrier.

Patter Song posted:

Unicorn's weird for me. I loved it, but I stopped watching after ep 4 out of 7 and just never got around to finishing it. I should do that at some point. I'm ashamed to admit that I got really happy when Bright Noa had his 15 second cameo.

You should watch ep 5, he's the driving force for about half of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Calax posted:

I'm surprised something as obscure as Blue Destiny made it into the game.

Although it has been showing up in other Gundam media so I shouldn't be...

Blue Destiny has a video game, a manga adaptation, recent model kits, and crossover appearances in other video games (SD Gundam not counted). That isn't obscure, IMO. Gaia Gear—now that's obscure, though almost absurdly so.

If we're talking about obscure UC content, look to novelizations. Sentinel, Hathaway's Flash, that sort of thing. Anything more obscure is most likely not canon in the first place (Gigantis' Counterattack).

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Khisanth Magus posted:

With the exception of the prototype and the gouf custom, aka the best suit ever they come in 3s.

Better to call it the B3 Gouf, since there are plenty of "custom" Goufs out there now.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

NO because combo breaker and because if we're actually going to change Universal Century history, then let's do it the right way.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Mikl posted:

Wait, isn't Zeta 0087? And you get seven years worth of tech development in a couple months? How the gently caress does that work?

Yep, Zeta begins 7 years after the end of the OYW. MS development sort of putters out after the OYW, though, so there isn't a huge gap between the best of the OYW stuff (GM Sniper II, Gelgoog Jäger/Marine, GM Custom if you include it in OYW era tech) and the beginning of the Zeta era (Advance of Zeta). Gihren's Greed really only suspends disbelief in the inevitability of the development of the movable frame (for transforming MS), but it's a video game so hey.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Midjack posted:

Except for 0083. But they shredded all the files and everyone who built anything in that on was either dead or took a vow of silence after the end of the show, so the Dendrobium never happened. :v:

0083 didn't really advance MS state of the art, even if the Gundam Development Project hadn't been canceled/deleted. It led to the GM Custom getting a black paint job and being renamed GM Quel, that's really about it.

Tobias Grant posted:

:siren:VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!:siren:

YES 19

NO 33

The vote was a lot closer than I thought it would be, but it looks like we're going to miss out on the Zudah. Next update will be up on Wednesday.

Sieg Altered History!

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Ethiser posted:

Weren't the specs on some of the 0083 suits better then some of the ones in Zeta?

Depends on the suit. Zeta grunt MS are generally better than their predecessor grunt MS. The Rick Dias is the king of grunts, the GM II line can universally use beam weaponry which puts it ahead of its predecessors, and the Nero was actually pretty decent, especially on defense.

High end 0083 suits like the GP-01Fb and Gerbera Tetra were awesome, but less because of the suits and more because the engineering solution at the time was "bolt a bunch of equipment packs on the back." The GP-01Fb is maneuverable because it has a bajillion verniers sticking out of every crevice, and the Gerbera Tetra has an add-on booster with a fuel tank the size of the suit. Everyone's favorite Powered GM from 0083 episode 1 was just a GM Type C (barely better than a regular GM) with upgraded joints and equipment packs. None of the awesome 0083 suits were mass produced or even acknowledged to exist by the middle of 0084, so they didn't really affect the mobile suit state of the art beyond fielding Yet Another GM Variant.

The advantage for Zeta era MS is that they can generally do more under their own power, including sustained atmospheric flight (no more Zaku Dodai riders), and are more suited for multiple mission roles "out of the box" so to speak. OYW MS are generally designed for one specific task—look at how many Zaku variants there are, for instance: Zaku Sniper, Zaku Desert, Zaku High-Mobility, Zaku Marine, etc. All of those are obsoleted because Zeta era MS can handle those roles without needing to be reconfigured. There are some exceptions, like the Xeku Eins line, but the Xeku Eins are developed from Zeon's unused "next generation" MS plans so they were conceptually outdated before they ever hit the manufacturing line.

tl;dr Numbers ain't everything.

Patter Song posted:

Isn't the Hizack (the natural evolution of Zeonic suits, in the beginning of Zeta) seen as a massive improvement in every way over the Zeon suits of the OYW, to the point where a Gelgoog rather early on is referred to as an "antique" and a "museum piece?" (I figure this would be a bit like someone calling an F-16 an antique today in how absurd it feels)

The Xeku Eins is the natural evolution since Zeon literally designed it before the end of the OYW; the Hizack came later when the Titans wanted an exclusive general use suit. But you're correct, the Hizack is better than OYW suits, though it's still limited by its use of physical ammunition instead of beam weaponry, so in that sense it isn't too much better than OYW suits.

The Gelgoog you're talking about was salvaged in a half-destroyed state, and had to be rebuilt with Nero parts. So the commentary was less about "man, our stuff is so much better than theirs" and more about "wow, this thing you found is a piece of crap."

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 19, 2014

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

I vote NO because the point is to subvert canon. Though I'd say yes if this play through extended to the Zeta era.

Professor Malice posted:

Yes

If Garma doesn't die, then Gihren can't give the greatest speech of the OYW.

But Gihren didn't give the "Zeon is Exhausted" speech…

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Patter Song posted:

Republic of Zeon was a bunch of colonies out beyond the moon that had been embargoed and cut off from resupply, and I'm not sure how self-sufficient those tin cans are. Their leader's solution was to say that sooner or later, we're all going to evolve into a new species fit for space, so everything will be ok. I can understand why he was overthrown and Degwin took over.

In the Gundam universe, the colonies economically outpace Earth, and in fact are responsible for most things like food production. The Earth is so environmentally devastated that it can't natively support its remaining 2 billion inhabitants.

Each Side was designed to be self-sustaining, albeit stuffed to the gills at first with the poor and otherwise "undesirable" from Earth. So you have a bunch of fat cats sitting on what's left of the Earth mooching off the colonies, yet they politically dominate the colonies.

The Republic of Zeon was perfectly sustainable before Degwin did his thing.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Sadly the Zeta movies retcon this and Kamille is perfectly fine after he kills Scirocco with the power of love and friendship and dead chicks

The Zeta movies are not canon. They're a retelling. The official timeline still adheres to the Zeta TV series. Kamille gets his noggin cooked, ZZ, CCA, and UC still happen.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Midjack posted:

The RX-78-1 was the first of the RX-78s and was green and white.

No green. Black and white, with some yellow and red.

quote:

The RX-78-3 was the G-3, which was only in the novel and is gray.

The RX-78-2 is upgraded using the same technology as the RX-78-3 (magnetic joint coating) at Jaburo. In essence, the -2 becomes the -3, albeit without the gray and purple paint job.

quote:

The RX-78NT-1 was the Alex, which was in the show 0080. It was blue and white and had a panoramic cockpit like the Zeta era suits.

Minor trivia; the RX-78NT-1 was originally the RX-78-4 until being retconned later. You can still see the 4 on the Alex's shoulder indicating it was intended as the 4th Gundam in the line.

There's also the RX-78-8, of which nothing is known. Bandai is probably saving that for a video game. Then there are other Gundams not part of the Project V/RX-78-# line. There's the RX-78XX Gundam Pixy, the Gundam Ground Type, the Gundam Ez-8, the Full Armor Gundam (built separately even though it started as an upgrade plan for the RX-78-2), the Heavy Gundam, and probably others I'm forgetting or am not aware of.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 9, 2014

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

I'm a little disappointed Ral won't be chasing White Base; I sort of wonder how the results would have been different if he had merely a B3 Gouf (Gouf Custom) instead of the MS-07B. The B3 fixed a good number of the B's flaws.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Onmi posted:

it wouldn't matter, what suit they're in doesn't mean anything. it's a fixed event style of game.

I realize the event is fixed. I'm speculating about a possible result if it weren't.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Tobias Grant posted:

We actually do get more money and material than the Federation does at this point of the game. However, this doesn't really matter because the AI cheats like a motherfucker.

Is this the AI trying to pull canon out of its rear end even though it doesn't legitimately have the resources to do so?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Tinkertonk posted:

This has inspired me to watch everything related to the UC Timeline in chronological order since it's the one I'm least familiar with. I really only remember everything from Wing and onwards.

I would actually recommend watching in order of release. The animation keeps getting better, and the way some timeline gaps get filled in later becomes a little more interesting than if you took it in chronological order.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Edit: Nevermind.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

No to the Ze'Gok because you'll need every ace you can get to finish off the somehow-still-clinging-around Federation.

Patter Song posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqZtyB0kOH8

I'm hearing this in my head reading that line. And it's reminding me of how...iffy in quality the music in the original show was. Nevertheless, this is the track I associate with Char's assault on Jaburo.

"iffy"? That's pretty awesome, as is most of the 0079 music. The second half of From Sleep is a nice tune as well. Did we ever find out who composed the 0079 OST?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Serious question: when did MAP become capitalized? It's a "map" attack, not an acronym for something. Are we victims of Engrish grammar?

Anyway, I don't think a map attack is worth sacrificing an ace for, even if he's not the world's greatest ace and Zeon has plenty of them. IGLOO is one giant death trap.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Right, I'm just curious how that started. It seems like some sort of English -> Japanese -> English word adoption thing.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Koorisch posted:

So is there a Tech Tree list or something for this game?

I've been trying to figure out what to research and what to ignore, it's kinda hard since I don't know which suit is a prerequisite and not or if it's just the Tech Level that matters in the end.

I believe the research list progresses according to canon development of equipment, and you're simply researching in that specific order. I don't think it's a tree like in, say, an RTS.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

No nukes, no Gyan, no problem.

Gaius Marius posted:

It also retcons the federation into being an illegitimate government run by a shadowy cabal of plutocrats instead of the almost completely inept but still clearly good faction they were in mobile suit gundam.

Retcon? I take it you didn't watch 0083 or Zeta. Hell, even in MSG the Federation doesn't exactly have the consent of the governed. They're tolerated because Zeon is worse, even though Zeon has a point about the Federation in general (and more of a point with the ending of Unicorn now canon).

The ideal "peace" scenario in the UC timeline is a spacenoid as Earth Federation prime minister. In Zeta, Bright had hoped Char would be this person at some point… and then it goes horribly wrong in CCA.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Night10194 posted:

Why would you ever hope this would happen? Bright didn't strike me as dumb or gullible, and Char is painfully obviously a sociopath.

He isn't in Zeta. He had already assumed command of the AEUG by that point and wasn't anything close to a wacko. The ideal scenario then was an AEUG victory, the disbanding of the Titans, and a spacenoid prime minister running a truly united EF. Unfortunately, Char took his AEUG leadership status to mean leadership of spacenoids only and it all went to hell from there.

Kurieg posted:

By the time of Zeta though, haven't the Titans more or less completely supplanted whatever kind of legitimate government that Earth may have had?

Nope. Their powers were derived from a legislative act of the EF. Their powers were then revoked by the same. By the ending of ZZ, the merged AEUG-EF is wholly legitimate, with only the remaining Zeon and Axis Zeon forces left out. Cue CCA and Unicorn.

quote:

And CCA is Char's Hail Mary play to get all of humanity to unite, either in fighting him or in losing and moving into space. Finally having a fight with Amuro on equal terms was also a concern.

It only became a concern after it was clear Char would be opposed militarily.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 21, 2014

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Kurui Reiten posted:

The entire UC Gundam story is based on the idea that once you become an adult, you automatically become a jackass (unless you're Bright). Also on the idea that magical space powers allow people to "understand each other" and that's supposed to erase conflict. Only, oops, those evil adults keep using them for war. Why can't they just let space teenagers have their psychic powers in peace, man?

This of course ignores the fact that "understanding one another" is pointless, considering that "understanding" a guy who wants to kill the poo poo out of people for fun doesn't make him NOT want to kill the poo poo out of people for fun. The concept is generally treated like Newtypes are tragic, and the evil adults are just ruining everything. This resonates with teenagers who want to think "life is hard and no one understands", and those are the main audience.

All Japanese fiction seems to be centered around the idea that the source of conflict is the misunderstanding of others' thoughts and intentions. Considering the super-formal and regimented society Japan has built up, it's really not a surprise that their escapism and conflict resolution is trying to figure out what the hell someone else is talking about.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

No bioweapon because this is a law playthrough.

Gyan because the Gyan Marine and Gyan Krieger are fun.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Panzeh posted:

Do Zakus upgrade to Hizacks?

If the game is being true to the UC tech tree, then they shouldn't. The Hizack is a separate tech family from the Zaku, even though they have the same name and similar appearance.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

I'm curious: can Zeon research the Xeku line? You have the Galbaldy Alpha, so theoretically the next mobile suit from Pezun should be the Xeku Eins.

If so, screw those overhyped Zaku II FZs, get yourself some hot Xeku Eins and Zwei action.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Koorisch posted:

Sadly, only the Federation, Titans and the Tem Ray's army can use it.

Well, that stinks. I was kind of hoping to see the Xeku series in this playthrough. Oh well. Maybe if someone does a Zeta era LP.

Pimpmust posted:

The manpower thing is kinda dumb considering they are supposed to have billions of people living at Side 3 alone, but then again that's the basic problem of most "ww2 in space" sci-fi stories :ms:

Half the population of both sides were killed in the first week of the war, so that skews your population numbers quite a bit.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

ImpAtom posted:

No, it was the actual population, not just their military forces. Between nuclear weapons, colony gassing, colony drops and the sheer scale of the conflict, people were killed in absolutely insane numbers. A literal third of humanity was killed in a week.

Zeon itself wasn't attacked but it suffered absolutely unimaginable losses in combat. Part of the reason that the OYW didn't end with the Antarctic Treaty is because Revil was captured and saw that Zeon was absolutely devastated by the war but was able to escape and report this to the Federation. They threw almost everything they had into the war and they suffered huge losses by doing so. Everything up to the Battle of Loum was an absolute atrocity of chemical, nuclear and biological weapons being used, and while mobile suits gave Zeon an advantage against superior numbers, they still lost huge amounts of soldiers in every engagement.

One thing to remember is that the Zabi's plan did not take population sustaining into account because one of Ghiren (and I believe Degwin's) goals was the culling of the 'excessively large' human population. This is also why he undertook atrocities like colony gassing and colony dropping. One of the stated goals was to bring humanity back to a 'sustainable' level. Zeon was not just actively engaging in war, they were specifically being guided in the most humanity-killing way possible.

All this is why both sides are reduced to using teenagers and even some children as soldiers. We see this in the early episodes of First Gundam; at the time, Bright Noa is already a junior officer and is only 20 years old. He and Tem Ray have a conversation about child soldiers being used worldwide, too.

The extreme population drop caused a human resource shortage on both sides, so the kids get to grab guns and shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

BlitzBlast posted:

Literally the entire point of both the mkII and the Zeta is that they were way more mobile than anything else in their tech generation at the time they were introduced, how does that even work? :psyduck:

EDIT: Wait I got this, the Titans must have gotten the 0083 tech guys in on it. Then they just mothballed the entire project to respect the plans being destroyed.

The mk.II was agile only because of the movable frame; less armor hanging off meant less mass meant more maneuverability with the same amount of propellant and thrust force. Once on Earth, the mk.II needs a Dodai to remain relatively competitive with the likes of the lowly Asshimar. And the mk.II needs to be upgraded into the Super Gundam once back in space to be able to go up against the Hambrabi, Gabthley, etc. Then in ZZ it's basically married to the Flying Armor and is useless without, though some of that is due to having a… not exactly skilled pilot.

It does make sense for the Prototype mk.II to be a more powerful weapon of war, especially considering it's basically the last of what can be considered the first generation of mobile suits. The movable frame changed everything. So think of the Prototype mk.II as the GP-05 and you'll get a better sense of its place.

• Locked thread