Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Man, you are slightly crazy for trying this. I had a LP of this rolling around in some folders years ago but realized just the effort that would go into it.

Also, it's ball bustingly difficult :stare:

Of course, there can be only one choice.
Principality of Zeon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Some point of clarification, if my memory doesn't fail me, but I believe that while any unit that is still alive may heal from being stuck in a hangar (obviously not ships themselves) or supply depots, if a 3 squad Zaku loses 1 unit the "maximum health" drops by as much as that one unit represented.

It doesn't cost any to repair wounded units like that, but replacing losses hurts.

Secondly, aces that are shot down by grunts are not killed, but go in the K.O box until they return some time later (I'm not sure on the exact mechanism here, slightly random hospital stay?).

Oh, and it's deceptively easy to gently caress up even at the first turn, easy as it may look, and not know about it until 5-7 turns later.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, the strategic part of this game is reeeally weirdly designed all round, but I'm guessing we'll be coming to those parts soon enough.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

He's a complete sociopath, fascist and a genius, which makes for a pretty drat bad combination, which is what you are supposed to take away from the guy.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The name is probably more inspired by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Salamis

Lots of greek stuff in Gundam if you look around, even if some is mangled (Qubeley).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That loving submarine of the coast of africa :argh:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

And the Federation space capital was at Zarn, so it would make sense to invest heavily in a space force. The sides turned out to be pretty hard to defend ('cause Zarn aint much around no more as of the start of this game).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The AI is a complete joke and is only a challenge because it gets to ignore the economy (basically, build as much poo poo as it got slots to build/deploy with) and spying systems.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Redeye Flight posted:

Is it wrong that the first thing that came to my mind was the lunatic snowboarding bazooka-wielding paratroopers from Dark Id's Dirge of Cerberus LP?

No no you're thinking of Gundam X, whole different timeline

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

What you need to pay attention to is any area where the enemy got a base. You saw it in the update, but they are *maxing* their production line (because it gets to basically produce stuff for free).

The human player, not so much (out of cash already).

Not sure if the AI maxes their production line in all bases or merely in the ones bordered by player territory, but it can become a serious problem unless you get them bottled up asap.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Materant posted:

Probably actually a week or so. I highly doubt we went from the Zaku II to the Gouf in the span of a couple days.

Pretty much has to assume that the Gouf has been under development for months already at this point (pretty much any suit that shows up actually), but then again this is Gundam where it can take decades to produce one mobile suit design and then in the span of weeks churn out dozens that ecclipse it :iiam:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, at that pacing Zeon would have had to built really unnecessary transports, drop equipment and ground/atmosphere specific gear for years before the war to have chance of transporting the (multiple) million of troops for the invasion in any reasonable timeframe as presented by the timeline.
Their space war victory was anything but given, considering the size of the federation fleet and their industry and resource-base was strained enough as is to make a fleet capable of going toe to toe.
Now their earth gear was kinda taken from (dual-purpose) colony fighting gear (space rocket tank) and all kinds of awful, but a bit weird to have set aside so much resources for something like that all things considered.

The novels are entirely set in space by the way, which makes the whole thing make a little more sense.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

And to take it further, while Zakus are great in space they are a lot less great on Earth, where attack aircraft and even the old-rear end tanks you are seeing can take them on with much more comparable numbers (the Zaku can't really "tank" cannon fire, but all the limbs and stuff makes it hard to get a good kill shot). Infantry can and do take them down by hitting the knees with wire-guided or unguided ATGMs (no infantry in the games though).
Only reason they are used on ground as well is because they are multi-purpose (for colony invasions) and it's what Zeon have, as their own tank designs are kinda garbage for Earth fighting too.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Vorpal Cat posted:

edit: Did anyone in the Gundam universe ever take the Outlaw Star approach and mount robot arms on a otherwise normal spaceship because that would be awesome?

Val Varo, and yes, it's in the game.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It did rather well for being airdropped in against 6 Saxus and two Type 61 tanks, considering it's basically a SPG.

But No, I don't think it's worth it.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

As far as I know you don't get any more research out of those one-offs prototypes, no.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

No, suck it Zudah you piece of poo poo :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The Gelgoog and Hizack are pretty similiar in performance, but I believe that the Hizack can only pick between using close combat beam weapons and long ranged ones, not use/carry both at the same time. Got better sensors though.

Here's the stats:

MS-14A Gelgoog
Powerplant: Minovsky type ultracompact fusion reactor, output rated at 1440 kW
Propulsion: rocket thrusters: 2 x 24500 kg, 5 x 2500 kg
Performance: maximum thruster acceleration 0.84 G; 180-degree turn time 1.5 seconds; maximum ground running speed 180 km/h
Equipment and design features: sensors, range 6300 meters

RMS-106 Hizack
Powerplant: Minovsky type ultracompact fusion reactor, output rated at 1428 kW
Propulsion: rocket thrusters: 4 x 16200 kg; vernier thrusters/apogee motors: 10
Performance: maximum thruster acceleration: 1.09 G
Equipment and design features: sensors, range 8900 meters

The Gelgoog Jäger shits all over the Hizack though (Except for the main sensor):
Powerplant: Minovsky type ultracompact fusion reactor, output rated at 1490 kW
Propulsion: rocket thrusters: 3 x 24500 kg, 5 x 21000 kg; vernier thrusters/apogee motors: 24
Performance: maximum thruster acceleration 2.22 G; 180-degree turn time 1.4 seconds; maximum ground running speed 192 km/h
Got beam-guns in the forearms too.

The Gelgoog Marine got worse acceleration than the MS-06F2 Zaku II, too fat for its own good.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 21, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The animated clips are all sort of amazing, especially how bloody fast and deadly the Gundam is compared to the Zakus who are all going ":what:" -> ":supaburn:"

The enemy units are hiding out in all those bases most likely, they got a lot of those.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

This little animation is from the game, I think?

(Perfect new page post :v:)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

goatface posted:

You wouldn't use conventional artillery, you'd be using rods from god. Drop a ten tonne rod of Tungsten (surprisingly small) and it hits like a pocket-nuke.

I believe I saw some animation (possibly from the 2005 version of the game) where Zeon is using a resource railgun to drop lots of tiny asteroids all over Earth but I believe it is taken out by some Federation fleet before the show/game starts. Plus the whole banning blowing poo poo up from space treaty.

Seems kinda dumb in hindsight! What, did Zeon really spend tons of their 1:30 underdog resources on building Earth invasion drop ships, equipment and ground forces? They can't have done it during the war because they launch that invasion within a matter of months.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That's ACTION RECON, son :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

NO, Don't send the Black Tri-Stars, because they be bros'!

(Also getting to see the White Base up close and personal)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Tobias Grant posted:

I don't see how that's stupider than anything else involving Newtype ghosts.

Well the interesting part is that they seemingly succeeded in *splitting* a new type ghost into delicious cake slices, that or copy-pasted it, like seriously, how does that work :iiam:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Supporting squad fire I believe.

That gif of the Gouf whipping the Big Tray into submission :allears:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

"Empty colony"? ... Erhm, yes of course it's empty. *cough* A waste really, just to let it sit around there like that.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Now if he was S rank he'd be a loving monster, alright.

S-Rank aces does bad things to mook squads.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

If you are invading a base they can't deploy new units (if I remember correctly), HBM is more of a concern for stuff like Luna 2 and some of the side bases on Earth before you really got a lock on things. If the AI manages to break-through they'll just swarm the poo poo out of you.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Once the Big Zam is mass-produced, and so on.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Have some Zogok in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWcmo9seQI&t=50s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NkBhgJwFCI&t=27s

Bonus Juagg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3jNep1Ywc8

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

AdventFalls posted:

Yeah, they had enough materials by the time the Federation finished Project V that they could've kept the war going for a long time. The same could not be said about manpower...

The manpower thing is kinda dumb considering they are supposed to have billions of people living at Side 3 alone, but then again that's the basic problem of most "ww2 in space" sci-fi stories :ms:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

No, it was the actual population, not just their military forces. Between nuclear weapons, colony gassing, colony drops and the sheer scale of the conflict, people were killed in absolutely insane numbers. A literal third of humanity was killed in a week.

Zeon itself wasn't attacked but it suffered absolutely unimaginable losses in combat. Part of the reason that the OYW didn't end with the Antarctic Treaty is because Revil was captured and saw that Zeon was absolutely devastated by the war but was able to escape and report this to the Federation. They threw almost everything they had into the war and they suffered huge losses by doing so. Everything up to the Battle of Loum was an absolute atrocity of chemical, nuclear and biological weapons being used, and while mobile suits gave Zeon an advantage against superior numbers, they still lost huge amounts of soldiers in every engagement.

One thing to remember is that the Zabi's plan did not take population sustaining into account because one of Ghiren (and I believe Degwin's) goals was the culling of the 'excessively large' human population. This is also why he undertook atrocities like colony gassing and colony dropping. One of the stated goals was to bring humanity back to a 'sustainable' level. Zeon was not just actively engaging in war, they were specifically being guided in the most humanity-killing way possible.

Pretty sure Zeon didn't have anywhere close to 700 million troops that could even die in combat during those opening weeks though, maybe a couple thousand Musais (being generous). Half the worlds population did die though, but that was mostly on the Federation side (Zeon are gigantic dicks, seriously). They totally wrecked what, 3 "Sides" (each one hosting like 1-2 billion people?) before they even started on Earth.

Only thing that should be holding Zeon back once they get over their resource problem would be their production capacity for new poo poo, and maybe training time for new crew.

Basically every OYW show does a poor job of showing the scale of the conflict (IGLOOs version of Loum is really bad).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The power of chemistry...:magical:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

The gundam wiki article actually kind of explains why it is better than the normal MKII but wasn't considered for mass production. It was faster, had better armaments, and better armor, but was also absurdly expensive, had a very low operating time, and took a cyber newtype to even pilot the thing.

Of course in the real world were people actually have to develop technology you end up with prototypes that are in various states of barely-working, using older engines that probably have way too little power to *really* power the prototype because the new ones aren't anywhere near ready yet, the code for the computer isn't done yet and parts of the plane keeps falling off/lighting on fire.

And to top it off someone installed the ejection system upside-down.

In Gundam they just have the awesome technology sitting on a shelf and you can barely pry the engineers off the prototype to keep them from adding more awesome poo poo on-top until it costs as much as a small fleet. Then someone has to explain to the board why the mass-production version developed 6 months later does none of the things the prototype does while costing 3x over the older MP models and needing 4 times the fuel capacity (in huge external tanks that make them useless for ground-ops) to fly around for half as long. Meanwhile the people in charge of logistics are trying to find spares for the now outdated older model which was produced in a run total of 50 units, using a unique one-of-a-kind plasma coil for their vagina hat beam canon :negative:

tl;dr Anaheim are a bunch of jerks :argh:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Zeons problem is more that they make a new mass-production grunt suit design every other week, so by the time the Feddies show up with their first grunt MP unit Zeon got about a dozen out-dated designs all vying for spare parts :v:

*Mostly* reserved for their batshit Marine MS design divisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Oh it's not a bad idea for dominating Earth, gotta wonder how the Feddies let that ball drop so hard but I guess they didn't figure anyone would get that far in the first place (see: Their lovely Earth forces in general).

But you gotta ask yourself if you really *need* tentacles on your Mobile Suit. Or Boomerangs. Or giant Drills.

Might have been the Super Robot department designing those though :v:

• Locked thread