Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
0083 Stardust Memory, 0080 War In The Pocket, and 08th MS Team are all great because they're about The Other Guys, the people who aren't magic space teenagers with brain powers. They're all fairly brutal war dramas that avoid some of the more ridiculous excesses of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Totally need to get some Ramba Ral and Norris Packard tag-team in here.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

I completely reserve the right to :goonsay: about Norris Packard, though, because he's basically my favorite gundam character period.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Rockopolis posted:

Personally, I always loved trolling the poo poo out of people with the Ball in the more arcade style games.
Even if it's weak, it's got decent dodging, great range, constant interrupts, and if you gently caress up, it is usually the 'mobile suit' with the most extra lives, so it was great for griefing my enemies into firey doom.

And let's not forget the story of Federation ace Umon Samon, who shot down six Rick Doms during the Battle of Solomon in a Ball, and later went on to be a major character in Crossbone Gundam.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, I wasn't voting, just commenting that I'd really love to see those two get plenty of play.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

So yeah, that's Char BEFORE he gets experienced and powerful. Char is a little ridiculous.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Now that we've seen Norris Packard in action, albeit briefly, I'm gonna go into why he's cool.

Remember how I said 08th MS Team was about The Other Guys of the One Year War? It follows a squad of Feddie pilots in jury-rigged RX-79 Gundams, trying to hold out against the Zeon during the Battle of Earth. Whereas most Gundam is high-flying Top Gun aces-and-heroes stuff that focuses more on the drama of rivalry between pilots and vast political intrigue, 08th MS Team is all about gritty infantry warfare where there's not much glory, just a lot of bullshit to be shoveled. The heroes are competent, but not amazing ace god-slayers like most of the protags in other Gundam shows. And then you have Norris Packard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4vObEQUAA

You see, Norris Packard exists, largely, to show the difference between 'competent soldiers' and 'genuine Mobile Suit ace.' :black101:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Yes. An ace none of us can even really identify for a unit that will outperform most of our other artillery? Not even a choice.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

No. The Zudah is the 'fastest,' sure, but it's also going to be rapidly outmoded by just about everything in our arsenal. Remember, after the Gouf comes stuff like the Z'Gok, Dom, Gyan, and Gelgoog. This is just throwing away a perfectly useful ace for an underpowered Mobile Suit designed to fill a niche that doesn't really exist. Remember, one of the big reasons Zeon lost in the series is they kept throwing away all their talented pilots by strapping them into undertested, overdeveloped boondoggle 'wunderwaffen' suits.

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 19, 2014

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

No. Tactically-speaking, if one mobile suit piloted by a rookie could take out two zakus piloted by aces and send the RED COMET fleeing, the answer is NOT to engage it directly. Pull Char back and let's get eyes-on this situation before we gently caress things up even worse.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

First off, gently caress YES Z'GOKS. Best Mobile Suit, or BESTEREST Mobile Suit? Secondly, hell no. Why would we go after the Gundam? We killed like three of them this turn, and Ramba got one of them himself. Let him cool it for a bit.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

YES! Ze'Goks ruuuuuuuuule. Also, gently caress yessssssssss Gouf Custom. Time for awesome images of model kit conversions!

This is no Zaku, boy. No Zaku. :black101:

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 8, 2014

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

The Norris and Ramba PAIN-TRAIN is back on schedule! :black101:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Right now I don't think any potential gain from the nuke-launch is worth the cost of losing 50% of our units at Odessa. We're struggling for cash and materials right now as it is and junking half our force in that sector isn't going to make things better given the superior production capacity of the Federation. Bench M'Quve.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Bluemage142 posted:

You know, we could just not have a lot of units there before the nuke goes off...

The Federation is gonna have a LOOOOOOOOT of assholes there, if this goes like I remember it. Not keeping forces there may not be an option.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Option 2 because hey, more units is more units.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

I think a major theme of Gundam in general is 'humans are huge fuckups who make lots of bad decisions because it's literally impossible for anybody to have a full picture of the impact their actions have.' The only point where that moral gets goofy is when the proposed solution is 'telepathic space teenagers.'

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

gently caress yes, bioweapons and give some love to the Gyan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Hygogg so good. :allears:

• Locked thread