Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
NICE!

I played the original Gihren's Greed back on PS1 (...now I feel old), and I was only able to keep up with a couple of them since; the language barrier's pretty rough. I only got by with knowledge of canon.

And I echo everyone else here: Sieg Zeon!

...I am VERY looking forward to seeing how the thread wrecks the timeline of the One Year War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Any policies on discussing Gundam canon, or would you rather we hold off until you reach specific points?

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Ahh, Zeon. This should be fun!

I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. Since the fun in this alternate history involves not just the events, but the types of mobile suits that end up getting researched/produced, we're probably going to see some very wacky lineups.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
I recall there was one version of the game on PS2 which went full 3D, but included mechanics like morale, and it always went down when you took direct control of a fight. I don't recall them ever using that system again, but the 3D fights were damned nifty.

Organizing everyone into theaters (the way they had it set up anyway) was kinda finicky though.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Some good series in the 0079 setting are War in the Pocket (0080) and 08th MS Team; neither of them require too much background information, and they're enjoyable (or depressing) on their own. But like the others say, the compilation movies and/or the upcoming retelling might be worthwhile as well.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
As a lore note, if characters in OVAs were noted to be One Year War veterans, then more than likely (depending on which version of the game you're playing), you WILL see them as usable characters in Gihren's Ambition. So as a Federation player, you will see the characters who eventually become the Titans serving in the front lines. (Yes, Bask Am was still wearing those silly glasses back in the war, only he was wearing a Federal Navy uniform as opposed to his Titans getup.) On the flipside, you'll also see the future Delaz fleet being perfectly usable by Zeon players.

...and after reading some of these posts, I now realize that the English spelling of some of these names are going to be the end of me.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
What LEGO said. Let's put it this way:

The Titans are an "elite" and autonomous unit of the Federation charged with policing spacenoids (the colonists) to prevent another One Year War or Delaz incident (which caused a LOT of collateral damage). They're the villains of Zeta Gundam, and they tend to kick and shoot a LOT of innocents and basically spark a bunch of problems they're technically supposed to prevent. They were formed after the events of 0083 Stardust Memories, and they're responsible for a good deal of the angst the main characters of Zeta go through.

Axis is basically a Zeon faction that is active during Zeta Gundam. They show up in the middle of the series, and become a third-party contender for deciding who runs the show in the Earth sphere.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Not all pilots are going to be present at first; the games are generally pretty good about paying attention to characters' backstories, so they'll only show up at certain points of the war.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
The low ranks shouldn't matter too much initially; the best the Federation can muster right now on land for Odessa would be bombers, fighter jets, and the Type 61 tanks. They need to be fielded in absurd qualities to be effective against even the Zaku IICs. If anything, it'll be good training for the named characters to sink their teeth into.

This is also why playing as the Federation is really, really difficult early on. You have the money and minerals like Tobias mentioned, but you don't have quality stuff to spend it on. While you CAN pay through the nose to deploy the Project V prototypes (and build more of each), they're horrendously expensive, and they're only a single unit.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012

Onmi posted:

Hell no Federation Early Game is shoving Revil into a Tank and having him ram it into a Zaku II, then bitch at everyone while he's recovering from war wounds.

Heh. I was playing at a time when MS IGLOO wasn't a thing yet, and in all depictions up to that point, the Type 61s blew up if you so much as SNEEZED at them.

That being said, having a LOT of Type 61s really did help, especially if you have enough Manta bombers to support. None of them are that strong individually, but strength in mass and all that.

...never did put Revil in a Type 61. I did put him in a Big Tray (mobile command fortress with lots of big guns, FYI) once. That was funny.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Of all its Mobile Suit lines ever produced, Zeon probably got THE most out of the Zaku II chassis. The sheer amount of variants and mission roles it was tasked with taking on as the war kept going attests to that.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Are we also counting all the poor Sabrefish fighters and early Salamis cruisers that got blown to pieces in the early parts of the war? The Federation outnumbered Zeonic forces by a ludicrous degree, and they still lost pretty badly. Same goes for the land aces with the tank and air forces.

If those still count, then the named characters when Tobias lands onto Odessa are going to harvest some sweet, sweet XP.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Most/all aces that are known to have custom suits are able to get them in this game. The main problem being that since most of Zeon's pilots were canonically killed in the war most of them don't go beyond the Zaku II.

That being said, sometimes that IS averted since you can directly affect events that decide if they die or not. Some aces will get custom suits for designs they canonically were never even NEAR (it's your call if you want to invest in it, though).

(Unsurprisingly these new designs make their way into model kit sales)

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Ahh, Yazan. Continuing to plague Tobias across franchises! Also showing how dangerous named characters can be regardless of hardware.

Really curious choice taking Char out of his ace custom. Wondering what you have planned for him.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Question (it's been ten odd years, so I forgot):

If the other side is attacking your territory and it was producing resources/credits for you, does it still give you those resources while under siege, or does it get halted during the fight?

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Let's be fair, Char doesn't exactly NEED one...

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Nothing's STOPPING you from deploying whatever suits you want wherever you want if you can build it. Makes for some fun battlefields like Tobias has been showing.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
You don't lose named characters outside of plot-induced deaths. If they get shot down, they have a rest period where they're out of commission for a certain amount of turns (not sure how many). Then you're free to redeploy them wherever you want.

As for Gato, would this make him more the Nightmare of...Luna II? The Approach to Side 6? Either way, the Battle of Solomon is not very likely to happen in this timeline...

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

What is that second Zaku Variant you unlocked? I've never seen it before.

Looks like the Zaku Cannon, a variant of the MS-06J (Ground Type). Not a bad suit for this time of the war, it's a nice long range option. (The last one looks like a Marine Zaku?)

And in Tobias' defense, the pace of the early war is pretty much how it went in canon (though he's definitely ahead of schedule). The Feds are going to get curbstomped until their MS development program actually goes anywhere.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

Tobias, even though you're mostly trying to do a "good" run, I just can't see taking Jaburo later in the game unless we resort to doing Operation British Mk II.

Depends. Maybe the Apsalas Project can still be viable in this setting. There were many, many different ideas to invade Jaburo; the flat out invasion with marine mobile suits was just the most direct method.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
The AI sensibly prioritizes the crash development of MS like the player would; it's the only way they're going to stand a chance beyond stalemating Tobias.

Also, aquatic mobile suits aren't necessarily bad, though I grant you that they're pretty goofy looking. Suits like the Hygogg pack a serious punch, though, and can thoroughly ruin your day if you're not ready for them. The opening sequence of War in the Pocket is a good show of just how effective they can be if assigned for the right job.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
It only snowballs from here. The Guntank can be researched into a mass produced model much like how the GMs are to the Gundam. Once even this shows up, you have to be much more careful with your moves; the Feds can afford to take the losses, but Zeon really hurts when they take one.

I was amused at the dialogue (whatever they were saying) between the two heads of state. Gihren's probably going to rack up a lot of EXP from winning that.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
In any case, since the Guntank has been spotted (I wouldn't be surprised if it was the prototype Revil received for researching it), Project V isn't far behind. And that's when the plot-driven alt-history starts rearing its head, as the player can then really start messing up canon.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Yes to the Hidolfr. Of all the dead end projects fielded by that unit, that one seemed to hold the most promise. (The others, not so much).

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Zeon starts with the better pilots (and lots of them), while the Federal forces struggle to get theirs up to snuff. Cutting one down before his prime in exchange for one of ours is ironically one attrition trade off we can afford.

And yeah, it's the only proper way for this guy to go.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
The Gouf variants are probably some of the best ground mobile suits Zeon's ever fielded. As hinted by the shows, though, you don't see TOO many of them; you're more likely to see the Zakus, peppered with the occasional Dom.

Out of curiosity, do the MS-07s come in groups of three, or are they single units?

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
As nifty as the 603rd line of suits were, I'm going to have to vote No. You already have space nicely locked down with what you have.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
At the very least, you probably spared the Jotunheim's crew (and its' future potential victimstest pilots) a lot of grief.

As for altering history further, does Char's pursuit of the Project V group change at all early on, or does it just continue all the same up to a certain point?

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Knowing the luck of most Gundam continuities, I wouldn't be surprised if the Feds manage to Gundamjack themselves.

Going to second Kurui Reiten's opinion. I love seeing how different decisions can send the rollercoaster flying off the rails (and colony dropping into the ticket booth).

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Going to vote yes, on the basis that there will be plenty of opportunities to break canon even harder later on. Besides, that alignment hit is pretty nasty.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012

Onmi posted:

I think that Dozle is the only Zabi to not actually get his own faction in this game. Garma gets his "Zeon Reborn" faction and Kycillia gets "Legitimate Zeon". Much as he says in the show, he was looking forward to the day he could serve under Garma and when that day comes (Zeon Reborn) he does. I forget if Kycillia joins Zeon Reborn, and I believe Kycillia's Legitimate Zeon only exists if Garma is dead.

But yeah the accurate summation of the Zabi's is Gihren is Space Hitler, no one really knows what Kycillia is thinking, Garma pretty much has the best of intentions and only wants to make his family proud and Dozle really loves his family. Kycillia has Johnny Ridden to vouch for her, Garma has... lots and Dozle has lots. I think the only people who vouch for Gihren himself are people like Delaz, who are utterly loving insane anyway.

In the opening movies for Garma's "Zeon Reborn," Garma's siblings (sans Gihren) are all onboard with him. Amusingly, during Garma's coronation speech, Dozle is pretty much crying due to pride.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
A lot of choices do have unexpected consequences. In one case, while I admittedly wasn't sure what choice I picked on virtue of not knowing how to read Japanese, in a Federation run Jaburo ended up getting attacked by just the Apsalus. I think some choices also have percentages of going one way or another, but I could be wrong.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
The Gundam prototypes are horrendously expensive, but can ruin anyone's day. Hopefully that one isn't being piloted by a named character.

The Gundam Mudrock (RX-78-6) was never exactly a playable suit. In Zeonic Front for the PS2, it was one of the end-game bosses against a Federation ace. Interestingly, I think it's also the only suit of the RX series that hovers (ala the Dom).

Glad to see the Hidolfrs performing to spec! Looks like they're the mobile field artillery you needed.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Huh. Didn't realize the Mudrock was made playable in other games. Can you point out which ones? If nothing else just to see how it operates WITHOUT the idiot who basically hijacked it in order to kill you (he really held a grudge against the PCs at that point)

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012

Midjack posted:

You can get it in all four Gundam Battle games for the PSP. I think you can get it in Gundam Assault Survive for the PSP as well. Past that, I'm not sure.

Explains why I never picked up on that. Thanks though!

Jegan posted:

The one on the left anyway. Take a closer look at the right one.

Oh dear. Is that an RX-79?

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Yup, the Side Story characters are there on both sides (not that they're restricted to Australasia at all in this game...).

Sadly, never had the console to play it, but looked damned nifty.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
No, forget the Trojan Horse. Shin Matsunaga's already proven that the Gundams are beatable.

That being said, awesome job taking both prototypes down!

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012

The Sandman posted:

Just out of curiosity, how likely is it for Zeonic spies to steal the tech for the Gundam?

I've never seen Zeek spies ever gain access to any of the Project V plans.

That being said, in a hypothetical scenario where Char is leading his own faction against Gihren after the Federation was done in, Bright and whoever survived from the White Base crew decide Char is the lesser of the two evils, and set him up with his very own RX-78 (painted red, of course).

For the OYW scenario, though, I've never seen the Gundam plans stolen. It may be possible, but the chances seem pretty low if they are.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
And it's not like they're super practical. The Project V suits cost an arm and a leg, something the EFSF can afford, but not Zeon.

A Gundam is a good investment. I wouldn't want to invest too much in the others...excepting the White Base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
That does look like a Gelgoog shield. Though I'm not so sure that's a mono-eye, could just be the angle it's shown in. (They actually DID make a Mono-Eye Gundam, but that's more of a spinoff than anything...)

• Locked thread