Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Hooray! a Threat of Axis V LP. I love the Gihren's Greed games, I did a few (terrible) LPs long before I came to this site on them. I love this series.

Boo! It's ZEON playthrough. The side that anything interesting about has been run so far into the loving ground because of

A. Japanese fans and creators deciding that Zeon is now Imperial Japan fighting for glorious freedom
and
B. American fans deciding that Zeon is totes America fighting the revolution for glorious freedom

But whatever, it's Gihren's Greed and these games rock.

Of course, now I can't make you go through a run where you develop no Mobile Suits and can only use Tanks, Planes, Space Ships and whatever you steal from the enemy. THAT is a fun as gently caress playthrough on the Federation side.

Not touched upon about this game? It's really difficult. The game has, depending on difficulty, a grace period where it wont attack you, but you can attack it. IF YOU ARE PLAYING THE FEDERATION YOU MUST HAVE PECKING BEFORE THIS PERIOD IS OVER! If you do not scrap the playthrough right then and there.

also, the game does not care if Zeon owns 2 territories total and you control the rest of the map, it will out produce you through the magic of cheating.

Also, sticking General Revil in a Tank/Gundam and watching him go to town as he eventually pops newtype powers, being so lawful that he convinces Scirocco that he's the god drat perfect ruler, is never NOT hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Another thing worth revealing since we aren't going through the federation side. The reason past the OYW is so hilariously trivial is because they pit you against Delaz, then Axis, THEN the Titans. by that time the Titans are so far low on the totem pole you just hilariously stomp them into the dirt.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ethiser posted:

What? How do they explain that one? If Axis comes first I'd almost say the creation of the Titans was justified. Especially if you look at all the Zeon remnants that pop up post Haman Khan.

Sidenote: Did the Titans ever actually stop an anti-federation movement? If post Zeta Gundam stories are anything to go by every desert had its own fully functioning Zeon remnant group.

There is no justification. I think the Titans are formed during the Axis conflict and you have the opportunity to trust Blex (allying with the AEUG pilots) or ignore him (Allying with the Titan Pilots)

You can also recruit Cima Garahau and her main ship captain by planning with her to stop Delaz. I think the downside is losing units on earth and maybe some resources? but I like Cima, and sticking her in the GP-04 and in the same ship as Kou is awesome.

She does NOT defect when the Titans eventually split.

And the Titans have never stopped a god drat thing. Hell the Titans are responsible for Stardust succeeding, since they knew it was going to happen and let it so they would have justification for forming. And ever since then Zeon's become the "Remnants of Imperial Japan fighting for our equality and freedom"

Which is hilarious because even during the OYW Zeon was its own thing, independent from the federation in every way. The federation just stopped trading with Zeon.

Basically it was a screwy teenager telling his parents that he was his own man and then moving upstairs to the attic and demanding that all his food, drugs etc. be paid for.

Which is why the "Glorious Zeon Samurai" that Gundam has essentially become is so drat sickening and eye rolling. They've gone from a faction that was led by an evil rear end in a top hat, but contained human beings. To a faction that was the good guy all along and those dirty Americans stomped all over space Japan.

It's pretty sickening.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yoshiyuki Tomino, the guy who made the first... four Gundam series? Anyway, Tomino grew up in post-war japan. And a big message of his work is that "Adults are the Enemy" and the war of generations between the adults fighting the same conflicts over and over and the young who want to change the world. So I think there is a lot of Imperial Japan in Zeon, and it isn't meant to be a good thing.

Also holy poo poo you can save Cima? I need to play this game and do this.

Yeah, and in Tomino works it's typically portrayed the right way. The way you can tell is in a Tomino series it doesn't go out of its way to justify the bad guys as actually being the good guys. Ramba Ral didn't go on a 5 minute speech about how Zeon was totally awesome and the Federation were secretly a global conspiracy. Hell Tomino's main criticism of the Federation (voiced through Revil) is that the Feds were LAZY. They basically don't do anything until they actually have to, and are usually woefully under-prepared when they do. Case-In-Point? Victory Gundam. The Federations MS are decades old at the time when Zanscare is coming to destroy them. For no other reason that greedy assholes. Which is another common theme of Tomino Gundam.

No, the dude preaching for freedom and revolution more often than not doesn't really give a gently caress about that. Gihren, Zanscare, Iron Mask, Titans, Haman, hell CHAR. Every one of them did what they did for a selfish reason. Whether for power or heart break or because you can't let go of the past.

That, compounded with good people essentially locked into combat over other peoples selfish desires, helped make the soldiers of Zeon and etc. look like actual people rather than villains.

My main complaint is the series outside of the Tomino branch, who think "Man Zeon killed half of mankind. We have to make the Federation do something else horrible to match that. Lets have them recreate the Rape of Nanking in space. Despite the fact that the setting previously established this would have been impossible." And portraying them as super villains rather than... ya know. Incompetent stagnant idiots.

And it would be fine if you portrayed the people who acted like "Glorious Zeon will fight on for freedom" long after freedom has been achieved, if they didn't do the latter of implying they were anything more than crazy bastards continuing a long-dead war.

But, I'm going to get off that because the LP hasn't even started and it doesn't cover the OYW.

I do wonder how many various routes are going to be explored when it comes to the decisions you can make as well. Zeon has a fair amount, many that can cost/save your ace pilots.

Also, a thing missing from Threat of Axis V that was prominent in the old PSX game was the old PSX game had animated cutscenes for the various plans.

Threat of Axis V instead has stills, like these ones once the V Project is completed on the federation side

By the way, If you're doing The Origin Sunrise? that's really all I'm asking for. 0079 looking like that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

Something about Cima's fleet, mostly the open sleeveless uniforms everyone wore, put me in mind of Chippendales, or Siegfried and Roy.

Speaking of Cima, is she one of our starting characters/do we recruit her? Has she already done, uh, her warcrimes thing before the first scenario? Can the Federation recruit her?

Zeon starts with her I believe. The Federation recruits her by the her approaching the Federation and picking an option. I think this lets the colony hit earth, costing you any units there (Just move em to space) and giving you a bit of Chaos. Which hasn't been explained yet. But you get 3 pilots, don't lose any of the Albion crew. And Chaos is easily fixed.

I just like Cima too much to NOT recruit her. Actual sympathetic character in 0083, I'm shocked she's never been recruitable in SRW.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Onmi, are you forgetting the bit in (Tomino-directed) ZZ Gundam when Haman and Mineva come to Earth and everyone in the Federation leadership starts hailing Haman? When she decides to destroy Dublin everyonene i n the Federation leadership starts going into this drunken party shouting "Less mouths to feed." Judau even decides that despite Haman being a tyrant who needed to be put down at least she had a vision unlike the Federation's shortsighted greedy leadership. The Federation being as bad as Zeon is a clear theme through Zeta and ZZ, it's not just the non-Tomino stuff.

... So again, the federation is lazy-evil not Machiavellian evil who have deep running conspiracy theories that have been running since the dawn of time. Also Judau's opinion on Haman is sort of skewered because like the Nahal Argama crew keeps calling him out on it. He loves her, because Newtype Connections are a bitch.

Then again, Judau's just sick of war, that's why he decides to gently caress off and collect a colony full of newtypes to go to another galaxy and say "gently caress you, and gently caress you" to everyone.

Oh Grey Stoke...

Augustin Iturbide posted:

When does the Federation do a Rape of Nanking? I've watched a lotta Gundam and I do not remember that.

Unicorn. They pull it on Side 3, despite the fact that the Federation never made it to Side 3 and the war ended at A Baoa Qu. Yet supposedly the troops stationed on Side 3 got really frustrated and the "Weak leaders of Zeon" sold a town to them for them to go all Rape of Nanking on.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ethiser posted:

I'm waiting for the Build Fighters Ghiren's Greed game where you choose which faction leader will lead your hobby shop and have to compete against the others for the largest market share. You choose model builders to sponsor and them doing well brings you fame.

... I am all for that and welcome my new Gunpla overloards.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MechaCrash posted:

I have some questions about the stats of the mobile suits. How come on one screen it shows bars, and on the other numbers? Why does the HP read 60 on the one with the numbers and 180 on showing the actual suit? What's the 3 in parentheses mean? I figure that the two are related, since 60 x 3 = 180, and it says 100 energy on the left of the stat screen and 300 on the right.

Okay

Certain units are Ace units (meaning they deploy singularly, with only a single HP and Energy bar) then there are Group units, where essentially a single Zaku is actually like 3 Zakus, and a certain amount of HP is each of them.

Ontop of this, you can stack units. I personally like to stack Ace suits piloted by Aces on top of Grunts piloted by nothing. Though early on in the federation campaign it's "shove everyone into Type-61/Fly Manta and pray to god" Tin COD got a lot more useful with the addition of Dodai Zaku II.

gently caress Dodai Zaku II.

LEGO Genetics posted:

Once we get to certain points of the campaign it will be time for Gundam inspired mixed drinks for the readers at home.

Heh. Playing the Federation early game is basically what happens prior to the show.

1. Zeon launches a blitz to gain territory and resources.

2. You garrison the gently caress out of Jaburo and try to prevent more territory taken.

3. Eventually both sides reach a stalemate and go into a research frenzy.

4. Project V happens and eventually finds it way to Side 7...

Hell no Federation Early Game is shoving Revil into a Tank and having him ram it into a Zaku II, then bitch at everyone while he's recovering from war wounds.

Or stalling until the Guntank. That thing is ridiculous. With the Guncannon being even more and the Gundam essentially winning the earth war.

As I mentioned, I challenged someone long ago to do a Fed run with no MS, using only what they stole from Zeon and conventional tanks/planes/ships.

That was amazing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cokerpilot posted:

Man type 61 are awesome have you seen GUNDAM MS IGLOO 2 PRIDE OF E.F.G.F. Okay so yes the Zakus still take out more tanks then they lose Zakus but by god they win the fight. They beat the mobile suits and it is awesome.

And that's why even without MS, the Federation still would have won the war. Just not in a year.

Or at least back when the original 0079 was out and no MS actually participated in Operation Odessa (except for the White Base, and they didn't really make it there).

Oh course in Blood of Zeon there really is only one way to play

I am the bow of my Salamis

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

Okay, tank-talk is reminding me of Zeonic Front.
Tanks are powerful; you attack head on, they wipe out half your squad.
And helicopters were complete murderous bullshit flying around and massacring your entire company.
They were more dangerous than the Federation MS, as I recall.

Equip Char's team with G3 Gas/send Cima?

Cima has a god drat spaz attack in the cockpit once she's realized what she has done. I doubt you could actually send her off to do it again.

There's definitly a way to avoid the White Base and keep your Aces, there's a way to do a lot of things in this game.

Like... keeping Shiro Amada past the OYW scenario. Or keeping Ryu Jose and Slegger Law alive, which is a good idea since they are both good pilots.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jegan posted:

Max energy as well.

He's actually not all that great at Rank E, but realistically, you'll never use him like that anyway.

Yes you will. There's no need to so the White Base events at all, since the minor benefit (Removing Zeon Aces) doesn't outweigh the cost (losing Sleggar, Matilda, Ryu and a few other pilots).

Because once you're done with the OYW, those aces are almost never going to return except for the Delaz Fleet.

On the other hand, halting the White Base immediatly gives you a Gundam, Guncannon, Guntank and White Base, and the pilots to use them. And Kai and Amuro even at their E rank level will clean HOUSE.

Also, I love that you have a chart determining which part of the earth sphere drops where. If you are playing the Federation you must know that by heart! You have take C point as you assault Peking, preferably before you do! Otherwise Zeon is going to reinforce that battle zone and you NEED Peking by Turn 5. The very next battle operation is Hawaii, so the C-point remains invaluable.

Of course you can always try to control the entire Earth Sphere, but that will become much harder to do as Zeon builds up in space... until you get Mobile Suits.

It's funny that on both sides of the conflict once the Federation gets MS Zeon crumbles like a house of cards.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 19, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Welp, I've broken and picked up this game again. the difference is instead of a lovely laptop, I'm playing on a proper computer now.

Time to either beat the game 3-4 times or consolidate in Jaburo and pass for 100 turns (Special Victory)

EDIT: I feel the need to remind everyone just how HARD it is to start as the federation. You aren't just outpowered, you are outnumbered too. You need ridiculous numbers to start laying into Zeon heavily, as they will slice through your troops very easily.

So! How do you play the Federation? What special unit do you have that's the key in the early game?

3 units are key. And this is another issue. In Blood of Zeon, you could easily pump your production lines full of Fly Mantha and that was it. Zeon was rushed under a swarm of bomber jets. But in Threat of Axis V they get access to flying units and the Mantha have terrible AA weapons.

So you need the once useless TIN Cod, or more likely the Saberfish dual space/aircraft to fight their air forces. There problem is that the ground troops are always going to hit them with no issue, also, no air troops can capture supply bases (the points of interest connected by lines, which resupply your troops energy)

So we need the Type-61 battle tank as well. which is "defensive" and good against the ground forces. So just produce them right?

WRONG! Because the Type-61 can't move for poo poo and need to be carried everywhere by Medea transport planes.meaning you need to produce one of them to every 3 (and it is always 3) Type-61s.

So while Zeon has "Zaku II" as pretty much the only unit it has to worry about. The Feds have to produce around 3-4 different types of units to keep up. That's at the start anyway, The Federation needs a different type of bomber to handle water engagements, which is definitely what Hawaii turns into.

Space, thank god, is a much easier battle.

Magellian battle ships. Simple as that, never bother with the Salamis, only bother with the White Base when it arrives. A skilled player can hold space with his captain piloted Magellians and nothing more. And that's the thing. until you've wrapped up on earth you only need to HOLD space. and honestly a group of Guncannons pretty much turns Zeon into a joke.

But yes, those early turns taking the first base will make/break the playthrough. If you succeed within 5 turns, you win. If you fail, that's it, pack it in.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 19, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

I've beaten this game more times than I can count, as most of the factions, but I have one thing I've never managed to do that I was wondering if the other people in this thread may be able to help me figure out. I have never, in all of my runs as AEUG, been able to keep Argama mode on post-Jaburo. I never seem to get the prompt to send the Zeta to the Argama when I finish researching it. I usually wait until after Jaburo so that I can get the 30% nuke instead of the 50%, but then when I finish the Zeta I never get an option to send it to the Argama and eventually they are defeated and show back up in Granada. As a result I've never been able to get Amuro and the Hi-Nu as the AEUG. Anyone have any guesses what I'm doing wrong?

My only guess is that you triggered the events too late If you're worried about the 50% forces loss thing, send a single unit into Jaburo and watch the enemy annihilate themselves while he sits his rear end there and doesn't care

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Space Bat posted:

When do we form super asia?

That's G Gundam, this is UC Gundam. If you want Super Asia but G Generation. Have him punch Kira in the dick a billion times

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I really want to laugh at how much easier the Feds have in space than on earth. The Magellian battleships shred Zeon, the star fighters are all useless, so no one uses them (for good reason). and hell even once the Mid-OYW kicks in you have Balls, who surprisingly stomp the poo poo out of Zeon.

But early-earth is horrid terrain for the Type-61, and paper thin waves against Zeons significant forces. you may possess the number advantage on paper, but in truth you'll wind up with TIN Cods who can't fight and tanks that wont get anywhere.

There is another way to win battles though. Capture every base on a battlescape and that territory becomes yours. This is much harder than it sounds because the enemy will always leave someone in the middle to guard it, so it typically turns into a route anyway.

Still, if you can. it can be an effective way to win if your opponent has an rear end in a top hat submarine anywhere

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Caros posted:

This is correct. The 'owner' of a province doesn't change unless the attacker wins, and it doesn't halt any money or resources gained. It does however prevent pretty much every other use on the strategic map (reinforce, movement, construction etc.)

unless your the enemy, they still are producing units they just aren't being reinforced. If you knock them down to one unit, pass like 20 turns without capturing, then retreat and re-enter? Your opponent is going to have an ARMY.

Fun little facts about the game.

The AI does actually play by the rules of spy work. They can see how many units you have in a location, but not what types of units. So if the game sees 30+ units on a territory, it thinks it can't beat that. Even if you only have 1 units that works in that terrain.

If you press triangle before entering the battlescape, the game will enter auto-mode and control your units for you. This can be incredibly helpful when you have overwhelming numbers and/or have a lot of battles to go and know you will win.

Be forewarned, the AI is stupid and will try to go for a rout victory condition. For example in my current game Hawaii was free for the taking simply by moving my Pegasus ships to seize the final supply points. Instead the AI decided to send my units chasing after Garma's Gaw.

Still, it's nice when you have 5+ battles and really don't wanna sit through all of them.

Also. Gato can't be mad about me taking Solomon considering Zeon just up and GAVE IT TO ME!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 20, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

How dare you put Revil in anything that isn't a mobile suit.

Indeed, the Eternal General served in Type-61, Ground Gundam, G3 and Alex as the days of the OYW come to a close and I Mercilessly retreat and re-attack side 3 to grind up my aces and build up research. leaving them in a perpetual cycle of building up only to be crushed.

Also, now I have to check to see if I save make a save on turn 99 and clear that multiple times to unlock all of the federation stuff.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 20, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CornishGH posted:

Good point. I almost want to get a Federation save up to CCA era so that I can put Revil in the Nu Gundam with his admittedly pathetic but still extant newtype powers.

and the reason you're not going for Hi-Nu or Penelope is...?

EDIT: Also, you may underestimate the humble unmodified GM. What with it being cannon fodder in the TV series and it being one of the (if not the) cheapest Federation MS.

Until you have a hoard of GMs, they will shred drat near anything with mass beam spray guns. And once you have them, the GM Sniper Custom takes the GMs spammable dakka power and gives it range.

Also man I had forgotten how tense the mid game could get, and how potentially dangerous the End-Game can be now that Zeon isn't spreading all of their forces across the globe.

I've missed you Ghiren's Greed. you horribly evil game. I really wanna give Shin Ghiren a shot now..

Onmi fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 20, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CornishGH posted:

I've heard that the general opinion on that is "don't bother". The character campaigns are supposed to be pretty cool, but there's only one map: basically the campaign map is one huge battle map, which means that enemy attacks are basically one long line of units going all the way back to the enemy base, and assaulting bases is insanely tough because they can keep producing units even under attack. Plus, there's no Z/ZZ outside of being able to use those units in a normal OYW/CCA campaign by buying DLC.

I really wish I could get into this game, but the insanely strict timetable for the first few turns on either side in the OYW, plus the possibility for something totally random screwing you over like a submarine you can't attack makes it hard to get into.

So the traditional game isn't there at all? that's... incredibly disappointing. I could deal with only the OYW (Since that's always what gets the most focus in the EFSF campaign. Feddies for life yo.) but only the character stuff sounds pretty disappointing.

As for getting into it... yeah, it's hard. you can play on Very Easy which gives your Aces their "Famous" suits. Which leads to Shiro starting in space with an Ez-8 he can't use. And Burning's squad being utter shitwreckers simply for having 0083 tech.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CornishGH posted:

Oh no, the traditional game is there, but you also have the option of playing a smaller-scale game as various commanders from the OYW, like M'quve, or Garma, or Amuro(they retcon it so that for his campaign it's the novel version of events where he's a military cadet). The main campaign is there, but it skips the gryps conflict and goes straight to CCA. You can use points you accrue over the campaign to pull in Z/ZZ or even unicorn pilots/suits but it's basically a bonus for new game plus.
And yeah, i played Zeon on very easy, it got to the point where I was desperately trying to avoid taking Jaburo so I could at least trigger the War in the Pocket events. My main problem is that it seems like there are several very much optimal paths to survive the first few turns, but I'm not sure which is the best and I tend to try to combine them with not-so great results.

To be quite fair, not being able to see the War in the Pocket events isn't so much Very Easy as it is that the moment you gain traction, there's very little the enemy can do to stop you. The mid-game where Zeon was basically doing a pissing contest of "We can take X and Y territory very easily." was dangerous, but once you had them contained, hitting Odessa and Kilimanjaro were trivial. And space is a ridiculously easy battlefield, only hampered by neutral areas housing 1 fucker and having to take the chaos hit so he doesn't sneak into Luna 2.

Hell the Federation has to piss around till turn 75 to pick up an Ace AND make sure not to lose Yuu and Shiro.

Though part of the reason I had such trouble is I was low on cash and scrapped my Salamis, forgetting that only gives resources. so a lot of my captains are low levelled. Also a over reliance on Auto-Battle. which can be good to get your units moving towards the enemy, but to put this into perspective, I sent in 73 units vs 81. Zeon was winning the entire time through in Auto-Battle. I take control around half way through and crush Zeon that turn.

I really hate how some GMs come way to late to ever be useful "Here's the GM Aqua type. I know you've already taken Hawaii, but here it is anyway. Here's the Waterproof Gundam. same nonsense!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CornishGH posted:

Yeah definitely. There are some things I just plain like better about Very Easy, especially having early Hygoggs and Acguys to deal with bullshit submarines, but usually you can pin the Federation back to Jaburo and its surroundings before they even have mobile suits in any real number. There's just so much that gets decided in the first few turns that on Easy on up you have to be really, REALLY concerned about each and every airplane and submarine on the entire planet.

Easy is one of those weird things where "Yes, the game is easier than it would be... later on." but the early game is still an absolute murder. It's really weird because from about... me managing to get my units to Odessa to Granada? Zeon just seems to give up entirely.

Storming Odessa with 60+ units while they have 17. Not even a need to go in manually, Kilimanjaro is just as much of a joke.

Then in space, if you had any semblance of a Space Force (Seriously, Fear Balls) it's as simple as surrounding Solomon. Or as was in my case, Zeon utterly abandoning it! The more spread out the enemy is, the easier they are to handle. And if you take a moment to prep there is nothing that the Federation/Zeon can do once they are stuck in Side 3/Jaburo.

They attempted to have Delaz break out through my GM swarm, but then I reinforced with Sniper Customs and HOO BOY DO THEY STOMP FACES.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zaku. With. Dodai.

Those loving pieces of poo poo. When it comes down to Zeon's dominance in the EFSF early-game you can chalk it all up to these guys. The only really hard counter to them are the TIN Cod. A jet that can only attack flying units. And only in swarms! Except what Tobias didn't show off is that the Zaku can dismount the Dodai any time they choose to. So once that happens your TIN Cods can't touch them. Only the Fly Mantha Bomber is really able to help.

Another thing not shown? these guys have an upgrade to give them a ranged cannon. Needless to say many a game can go horribly wrong because of Zaku on Dodais.

Also, the Federation has a counterpart... a counterpart that's an Ace Suit and comes ridiculously out of time. On the other hand?

GMs with Flight Packs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Besides, not everything Char's flown has been red. The Zeong was white/violet and the Hyaku Shiki was gold. Presumably "it goes three times as fast" is just a general thing that applies to anything Char flies, not just the red ones.

On the other hand, this absolutely goes three times as fast.

You laugh but Ball Rush is a legitimate way to control space as the Federation. They are cheap, only take a turn to produce, and have range. Mass balls shred MS, they shred ships, they shred everything.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Redeye Flight posted:

The original Mobile Suit Gundam. It's what forms the basis for the One Year War, which is what this game is depicting.

And if you don't wanna watch the series, the three compilation movies are just as good.

OF course to understand everything you'll need to watch

-Mobile Suit Gundam
-Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
-Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
-Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
-Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories
-Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team

And also be familiar with the video game plots of Rise from the Ashes and Blue Destiny.

EDIT: And Igloo now that I think about it. Hell you'll need to read some Manga too... Just watch the three compilation movies and think "On the side, other poo poo happened"

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioav3KANvfE

It is the year 0079 of the universal century. A half century has passed since earth began moving it's burgeoning population into gigantic orbiting space colonies.
A new home for mankind, where people are born and raised,

and die...

Nine months ago, the cluster of colonies farthest from the earth called Side 3 proclaimed itself the Principality of Zeon, and launched a war of independence against the Earth Federation. Initial fighting lasted over one month and saw both sides lose half their respective populations.
People are horrified by the indescribable atrocities that had been committed in the name of independence.
Eight months are passed since the rebellion began.

They are at a stalemate.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 22, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mm, this game can get very bloated with how many battles that can be going on at once when it comes to updating.

Now on the plus side Goufs are on their way, and Goufs are a definite upgrade over the Zaku's. On the other hand Goufs are ground limited units... which is actually perfectly fine for Zeon, since 99% of their campaign is on earth (Meanwhile the Federations has to really worry about space in the late game).

Once the Dom arrives though... hoo boy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Basarin posted:

You don't lose named characters outside of plot-induced deaths. If they get shot down, they have a rest period where they're out of commission for a certain amount of turns (not sure how many). Then you're free to redeploy them wherever you want.

As for Gato, would this make him more the Nightmare of...Luna II? The Approach to Side 6? Either way, the Battle of Solomon is not very likely to happen in this timeline...

To be fair, as I showed earlier in the thread, the battle of solomon is not likely to happen in the federation timeline either.

Also, Everyone mistakes Johnny Ridden for Char, except for Captain Paolo for the Federation who's battle quote is essentially "It's X! RUN THE gently caress AWAY!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also, lets talk water combat for the federation, or more specifically lets talk about how Water Combat doesn't EXIST for the Federation. They have I belief Depp Rogg bombers? that's it, that's your source of water combat.

By the time the Aqua GM actually becomes available you have already taken Hawaii, and probably California/New Yark as well. The long story short is the game is sort of aware that you will never get Aqua GMs, as the only other water unit you get is the Water Proof Gundam. Which is also entirely useless.

What makes it worse is that the RX-78 has water capabilities, and you have them long before Aqua GMs

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tobias Grant posted:

Eh, considering that getting the goufs that way would take a few more turns than just rushing the Prototype, I feel like I made the right choice.

I usually mention what the suits are once they're done developing so that I can show off their stats and talk about them a little, but I'll say their name once they're available for development from now on.

EDIT:

The Feds have the Don Escargot for Anti-Marine warfare.

yes that was the bomber I was referring to and somehow thought it was the Depp Rogg. Of course there problem is not having any rankings in air or ground, I mean they will shred subs and aqua units and make taking Hawaii so much easier, but they are very specialized.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AdventFalls posted:

Just for that, the LPer should have to use Acguys instead of Goufs. At least until the Doms are ready.

Acguys are a while off I believe. First there's Aqua Zaku's then Goggs and their beams. Hawaii is a bitch once Zeon gets more than Aqua Zakus, or it would be much easier if I remembered to build the correct bombers. the Japanese really throws me off even after a good decade and a half of playing games in japanese

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

Is it possible to steam roll the Federation to the point that they won't be able to get the Gundam program off the ground? Thus essentially winning without opposition?

I remember back in Blood of Zeon there was rewards for finishing the campaign Sub-24 Turns.

So no, they'll be getting MS's off the ground quickly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

And this is the main reason you can't beat the AI before they get Mobile Suits. THEY GET THEM BLOODY QUICK. To say the game is decided in the first 5 turns is no real understatement. Depending on the difficulty setting you have a grace period where the enemy is not going to attack you, but they will build up their forces and defend. You need to do as much damage as possible against the non-aggressive AI before it turns aggressive.

Because once the AI turns aggressive you're going to find the war all over the world and it's going to be much harder fighting back.

Also worth noting is that the Grace Period is PER FACTION. So if you finish off the OYW and move onto the Delaz Fleet (as the Federation) the Delax Fleet has a grace period where you can prepare. Which is good because the end of the OYW scatters your suits all over the world and space.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Basarin posted:

It only snowballs from here. The Guntank can be researched into a mass produced model much like how the GMs are to the Gundam. Once even this shows up, you have to be much more careful with your moves; the Feds can afford to take the losses, but Zeon really hurts when they take one.

I was amused at the dialogue (whatever they were saying) between the two heads of state. Gihren's probably going to rack up a lot of EXP from winning that.

People think the Guntank and Ball are worthless, hell I thought the Guntank and Ball were worthless, and in a way its true, they're weak, they can't go into space/earth, they move slow as snails especially on terrain for the the Guntank.

But what people don't get is even unmanned in numbers (and they will have numbers) they can pepper anything. And the ball, less the Guntank, is cheap. You can have space full of the little flyers of death, running around and just shredding everything Zeon has, capital ships, MS, nothing survives a ball swarm. Hell they can even trash Big Zams because their cannons are very specifically not BEAMS.

Now the Guntank MP is quickly outpaced by the Guncannon MP and GM, no shame in that, and eventually you'll just be using Sniper IIs for your grunts until the next set of Grunts come along. This by the way is the only game that makes the Methuss a horrifying death dealer, which we wont be seeing, shamefully.

But until that point the Guntank MP squads can garrison your various production facilities and be very well off while your GMs sweep the areas and do all the killing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Vorpal Cat posted:

So those laser cannons are like 80 meters long each, that seems excessive, then again this is Gundam.

The Zabi's swung big, the only downside is they have absolutely no close range capabilities. Even a swarm of Salamis can slowly take down a Gwazine simply being surrounding it and letting loose with their lovely little guns.

Also, I stress this, be you playing Federation or Zeon. A Gundam wins wars.

I know that seems obvious to say but A gundam is seriously one of the most invincible things at the time of its production, you see how right now the Zaku IIs have been going around, outnumbered, and still winning? That's the Gundam, the Prototype Gundam even. They march around and just murder everything that dares get close to them. They can subjugate space, a sole Gundam can drat near take any minor location and a force of them will run roughshodd over Zeon.

They are not immortal, but drat it they are powerful.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The "Why not just make a tank for half the resources" conundrum.

First of all we have to look at the setting. line-of-sight is pretty much the best way to establish actual contact, because any type of targeting controls went out the loving window when Minovsky particles came in. For the record there is no lock on, no heat seeking, the reason Newtypes are considered such a wonderful adaption for both armies is that they essentially bring back weapons that can track their opponents.

Secondly, Zeons Zaku is multi-purpose, it goes on land and space, and depending on configuration water etc. It's a multi-purpose weapon and they have lots of them. Seriously they have hundreds of Zaku IIs, and they move better than the Type-61, and their armor is thick. Which actually brings us onto its weapon. As a reminder you think of the Zaku IIs gun as a machine gun, because after all it's rapid fire. What is typically forgotten is that it's essentially a rapid-fire tank cannon, able to aim everywhere and and spray across various targets. Even the Guncannon and Guntank which are essentially the same things do not have that rapid-fire ability.

Thirdly is that Tanks needed to be ridiculously close to the Zaku to take them out, lets take GG for example, the range of the Type-61 that the Federation uses as its bread and butter? Melee, just like a Zaku. Each squad of them is 5 Type-61, and you can stack up to 3. So you'll have 15 Type-61 in a group.

15 Type-61 will take heavy losses to destroy a single Zaku II. you may be left with about... 4? if you survive and depending on the type of Zaku and the Pilot. With an Ace you'll likely not win the engagement. But those tanks? They cost way more resources/cash than that Zaku it took down. And then to replace them costs even more. So you're losing the resource race.

So as you said, why not make a Lunar-Titanium tank with... the arm rotater to let the cannon move fast and some thrusters?

Because that's limited to a single terrain. it can't fight in the water, in the sky, in space. It can't traverse buildings quickly, it's not even faster than a mobile suit, since if you actually see the Gundam move it bounces around ridiculously quickly. Also it requires a crew to staff, meaning more man power than the solo-piloted mobile suits.

Ontop of that the main thing that set the Gundam apart along side its incredible armor, was the beam rifle. So a tank would have to contain the same reactor the Gundam has to launch a beam, and again, the main difference between the Gundam and a battleship was the free aim, and mass production of beam weaponry. They just barely got beam weapons small enough to mount on a mobile suit, mass producing that on something that can't leave earth?

And yet, saying all of this, the truth is Zeon would never have won the war, because numbers and resources would have caught up with them despite their Mobile Suit advantage. The Gundam and GM simply made it so the war lasted ONLY a year. Hell one of the battles in its original conception was one by tanks and planes beating Mobile Suits, later battles retconned more MS to the Federations side, but in the beginning it was simply "Loads of tanks, planes, carriers"

Also, just for flavor, Mobile Suits are surprisingly sneaky, as they have multiple times snuck up upon encampments that were specifically trying to keep watch for Mobile Suits.

So in summary the lack of Beam Weapons, the lack of multiple terrains, slower movement, lack of ability to fight the typical targets of Zeon (Flyers, the maneuverable mobile suits, aqua units in Hawaii and in defense of Jaburo)more use of manpower, with an unlikely chance to see an improvement over the Zaku due to minovsky particles loving over targeting systems thus necessitating close range combat.

I know you were most likely joking but it would not in fact be worth the effort to just make Tanks instead of Gundams if you wanted to end the war in a year, since the main goal of the V Project was a beam capable unit. Any tank would be incredibly unfeasible due to the size of the reactor. Also the Gundam itself fell behind Amuro as he got to be a better pilot, and it fell behind Char back when he was starting out, so its joints weren't necessarily the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Sorry to gush over MS in UC, I rarely get a chance to do it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Midjack posted:

Of course not. That would be silly. Hildolfr.

Separately from that, the real-world reason all the super weapons in Gundam are humanoid is that the original concept for the show was that they were human sized powered armor suits in the example of the Starship Troopers book rather than giant robots. Also explains why so many of the Zeon suits look like they have scuba breathers on the helmets.

Thanks for doing this writeup. I have the PSP versions of these games but haven't broken them out yet; your screenshot explanation will be priceless for getting me started.

Also two things. Tomino never intended for the series to go to earth, so they would only be working in a low gravity environment of the colonies and the 0g environment of space. and later on in Victory and F91 he significantly downsized mobile suits to 15 meters and smaller, the reason he gave is he wasn't quite aware at the time just how large 18 meters really was and reduced the weight considerable (In canon explanation was due to the late prevalence of beam weaponry armor was drat near meaningless, as even the head vulcans could rip through a leg. With beam shields and I-Fields being the more common defense MS were made lighter due to no concerns with defense.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lets make it simnple.

Units are temporary Aces are forever. If he dies then we can't use him in anything else and the Hildolfr Will become outdated and certainly wont help in Jaburo or anywhere else.

No. And you can consider my answers in the future to be for whatever lets us keep aces.

On the other hand... I hate Zeon, so letting all these assholes die is tempting, but... No. Must keep all pilots.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tobias Grant posted:

He's got excellent Range, but mediocre everything else. As for where he is now, I think he's actually fighting in Europe at the moment.

Question, he pilots MS correct? not just tanks and such? If so, we definitely has to keep him. Even a mediocre ace is better than an unmanned unit Except for that one Federation general. His rank is so high and his stats literally 0 that he does nothing but bring down your units.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Inadequately posted:

He doesn't look particularly impressive, sticking with the punchy tank.

I'm kind of surprised at the superweapon talk and the doom of Zeon, from the novel it seems that the giant space laser worked and effectively won them the war, unless I'm misreading it.

If this is too much of a spoiler I'll edit it out.

Don't worry, it's not a spoiler. Zeon lost the war. They lost EVERY war.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Actually Zeon wins in the novel. The novel's ending is significantly different from the television show.

In the novel Zeon does in fact win with the Solar Ray and Amuro is killed in a battle with Char's forces shortly afterwards. Then the White Base (lead by Kai Shiden's Newtype powers) + Char ally with one another and go in to assassinate the remaining Zabis. Zeon wins and promptly begins oppressing the Earth and it's implied another war will start before too long. Also all of the White Base guys except Kai defect to Zeon.

And Sayla, Sayla defects too. Because of that whole Char killing her lover thing. The Novel period is significantly different, for one thing it's not the OYW since it goes for more than a year. Amuro isn't a civilian but a pilot as are Kai and Hayato, and the Guncannon and the Gundam are the only products of Project V, the Guntank and GM were previous Federation MS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also slight spoilers for the federation side

This is way easier a choice as the Federation, as your choice is between 6 Zaku II Js and keeping a pilot but the hildolfr will attack California likely on its own, or gaining a few resources, and losing the pilot and not having to deal with the Hildolfr.

In no way is the second option (which is actually YES in this case) worth an immediate 6 Zaku IIs who can easily help shore up your lack of units, and a pilot.

But yeah on the Fed route this choice is way easier. And you'll only likely choose the other one by not knowing what's been asked.

• Locked thread