Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

F. Lobot posted:

In a few days there will be an update that that allows larger SD cards for homebrew users, but hackless users are still bound to 2GB.

D'oh I went out to get a 2GB SD Card and already copied the data on to it. People may have issues but just remember even if you have a new brawl save file there is 3 custom stages already in there so you gotta wipe them. The install was quite seamless and unintuitive although for me it wasn't working until I realized that Ocarina wasn't turned on and now it's playing perfectly.

I'm amazed at how much detail went into this. The time and effort to add Mewtwo in there must have been crazy. Did they also have to recode Kirby for the additional characters and abilities? Not into the competitive stuff at all but preferred Melee's gameplay so I'm having a blast. Best thing about Project M is how balanced it feels. Most of the characters in brawl ranged from useless to subpar and now it seems like there is much more variety with character choice.

Now to convince my people that Final Destination/No Items isn't the most fun you can have on Brawl.

In fact, gently caress Final Destination. Yeah I said it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

D'oh I went out to get a 2GB SD Card and already copied the data on to it. People may have issues but just remember even if you have a new brawl save file there is 3 custom stages already in there so you gotta wipe them. The install was quite seamless and unintuitive although for me it wasn't working until I realized that Ocarina wasn't turned on and now it's playing perfectly.

I'm amazed at how much detail went into this. The time and effort to add Mewtwo in there must have been crazy. Did they also have to recode Kirby for the additional characters and abilities? Not into the competitive stuff at all but preferred Melee's gameplay so I'm having a blast. Best thing about Project M is how balanced it feels. Most of the characters in brawl ranged from useless to subpar and now it seems like there is much more variety with character choice.

Now to convince my people that Final Destination/No Items isn't the most fun you can have on Brawl.

Yeah, Final Destination may seem to be completely fair and great for those crazy tournament players, but when you think about it, the lack of platforms gives characters with quick projectiles a slight edge just cuz it's a little harder to avoid them.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, Final Destination may seem to be completely fair and great for those crazy tournament players, but when you think about it, the lack of platforms gives characters with quick projectiles a slight edge just cuz it's a little harder to avoid them.

Well having overhead platforms gives a slight advantage to characters with strong upward attacks/good air games, so it kinda balances out :shobon:

DownItGoes
Jul 1, 2008
Ugh, I got all excited about trying this out and then saw that there was no PAL version yet, which is apparently coming when the mod is more or less completed.

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
The wii I've got access to is one of the new ones without gamecube controller ports, but I ordered an adapter which should be here in the next couple days. I've got some friends on standby and am definitely going to try to get some wifi games set up with goons. Project M is very very well done, and it's actually more impressive than I think most people will realize.

ALL of these little mechanical intricacies are back. (Watch this. Seriously. It's long, but you will almost certainly learn at least one thing that will make you feel better at the game.)

Also, I am going to teach you your new favorite Smash thing in the world:

Pick Sonic. Stand in the middle of a stage. Snap your stick to the right, then do a "lazy" half circle roll to the left and hold, as fast as you can. (You never want to actually hit the "down" position, but you've got to dip just a little bit lower than a straight horizontal movement.) Ideally it should happen all within a frame or two. Here's video of somebody doing it kinda sloppy.

The "community" calls it moonwalking, but basically Sonic ELECTRIC SLIDES across the stage. The faster you do it, the farther you'll go. It doesn't really have any gameplay purpose unless you're already playing at a really technical level, but is really fun and not super difficult to do. (You can grab while sliding and you jump further than if you'd just run in that direction. It's another little trick for getting your spacing right or getting to a ledge quickly if you get really comfortable doing it.) Captain Falcon can do it as well, but he doesn't move as far so you're timing has to be really tight to get any real distance. (Apparently some of the other fast running characters can as well, but I've never managed it with any of them.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ChaosArgate posted:

Well I mean, most people who go to tournaments know which stages are good for their characters. Like if I'm playing Bowser I'm gonna veto FD immediately because that poo poo sucks, and I expect my opponent to take out Yoshi's Island since Bowser is so dominant on it. But on the flip side, Metaknight, the other character I mess around with, loving loves FD so I'm a lot more likely to counterpick with it. Honestly I'm not really sure where the "Final Destination" part of the ol' joke came from @_@

DareToSlack posted:

ALL of these little mechanical intricacies are back. (Watch this. Seriously. It's long, but you will almost certainly learn at least one thing that will make you feel better at the game.)

Thanks, this might actually get me to go and learn how to wavedash et al finally.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 12, 2013

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

DareToSlack posted:

I've always hated this video because it implies that wavedashing and L-cancelling are the most important because they're presented first. In reality I'd say shieldgrabbing, dashdancing, and edgehogging are far more important, and easier techniques to start out with. In Melee and moreso Project M, there are characters who can get away with never wavedashing or L-cancelling. Old school Melee pro Ken was known for dominating without ever wavedashing.

The Narrator posted:

Hey, not that I doubt you, but do you have a link to something confirming this? Just want to know whether I need to go out and get an SD card or if I can just wait a couple days :)
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-3-0-released-changelog-in-post.343401/page-8#post-16081731
They've said it multiple times in various places, and their exact wording was "in a few days". There will also be bugfixes and some new features loading-wise.

Raserys posted:

So, am I not supposed to be playing this for too long? I played for about 1:16, then the game crashed, and I haven't been able to make it to the start up screen for the past three tries.
Something is wrong with your SD card. Reformat, and recopy everything. If that fails, try defragmenting as a last resort.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Countblanc posted:

Thanks, this might actually get me to go and learn how to wavedash et al finally.

What! What the! I thought you kneeeew....

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Countblanc posted:

Well I mean, most people who go to tournaments know which stages are good for their characters. Like if I'm playing Bowser I'm gonna veto FD immediately because that poo poo sucks, and I expect my opponent to take out Yoshi's Island since Bowser is so dominant on it. But on the flip side, Metaknight, the other character I mess around with, loving loves FD so I'm a lot more likely to counterpick with it. Honestly I'm not really sure where the "Final Destination" part of the ol' joke came from @_@
Well the joke usually went "Fox only, No items, Final Destination", and Fox is certainly a character who benefits from a literal level playing field.

I'm kind of disappointed that Project M reverts Final Destination to the Melee version. If I'm going to play on the flattest stage it might as well be pretty.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

whalestory posted:

What! What the! I thought you kneeeew....

I've always gotten by on just playing characters with lovely or unimportant wavedashes like Bowser and Metaknight. I can powershield and lcancel like a motherfucker though!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chaltab posted:

I'm kind of disappointed that Project M reverts Final Destination to the Melee version. If I'm going to play on the flattest stage it might as well be pretty.
It still has the background from the Brawl version - you get to see all the scenery, not just an empty void like in Melee.

So it's still pretty.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Starting to worry that this may have hosed up my Wii. Now, the sound cuts off at random moments before restarting on the menu itself, and it has problems recognizing the Brawl disc, I can't even make it to the opening cutscene at times. After copious restarting, I restarted with the disc already in and the SD card out. I'm not willing to risk loving it up again, gonna wait for a more stable patch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I don't think Final Destination really even gets picked all that much in a tournament setting.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The Melee FD is a way different stage from the Brawl FD because of its length and the differences of its ledges. I know that sounds completely absurd but there is a good reason for them changing it back besides "it was Melee's version of FD".

In my personal mod partition I have all 3 versions of FD and Battlefield from each game, for legitimacy. :colbert:

Raserys posted:

Starting to worry that this may have hosed up my Wii. Now, the sound cuts off at random moments before restarting on the menu itself, and it has problems recognizing the Brawl disc, I can't even make it to the opening cutscene at times. After copious restarting, I restarted with the disc already in and the SD card out. I'm not willing to risk loving it up again, gonna wait for a more stable patch.

I'm not an expert but this sounds more like what happened when my first-generation Wii's disc drive started dying off. Brawl is a dual-layered disc and older Wiis just start making GBS threads the bed trying to read it. It's certainly not something that should be happening over homebrew.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 12, 2013

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I like Brawl's FD setup way better, the shorter distance helps mitigate the weirdness that is total flatness, and the edge stuff is great.

Nothing like shaving 2 or 3 minutes off a tourney match like darting back and forth under the stage as Sonic.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

The other thing is my Wii is currently hooked up to a sub-HD CRT television, so there's noise out the rear end. It's a lot more noticeable on Melee FD than on Brawl FD. The edges don't bother me... I rarely bother with edge-hogging because I prefer to kill my enemies sideways or strait up.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I'd be down to play with someone later tonight. I remember playing Project M maybe like 2 years back when it was 1.0 maybe? Loved how quick it made everything. I'll post my FC later tonight.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Probably ought to mention whether you have WiFi or Full version so people will know if they can play with you or not.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Probably ought to mention whether you have WiFi or Full version so people will know if they can play with you or not.

Yeah make sure you specifically download the Wifi version from the site, and I'm free for Wifi anytime tonight. Friend code is 0734-8045-6953.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Chaltab posted:

Can you even play over wifi with the Full version? Isn't that the whole point of the wifi version?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Weird question, but are you actually able to replace the music on Battlefield? In the past I've never been able to, but only for that stage, for some reason.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zelder posted:

Weird question, but are you actually able to replace the music on Battlefield? In the past I've never been able to, but only for that stage, for some reason.

Yep, I have some P4A music on mine. Definitely works.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hmm. Clearing Classic Mode with Roy has shown me that the game will always have the regular Final Destination stage and music available when you're fighting the hand(s); Roy's default color is apparently treated as Marth's default, so when an AI Marth was my opponent, he was red instead of blue; the trophy I got as a reward was Mario's and there was no credits music.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ChaosArgate posted:

Hmm. Clearing Classic Mode with Roy has shown me that the game will always have the regular Final Destination stage and music available when you're fighting the hand(s); Roy's default color is apparently treated as Marth's default, so when an AI Marth was my opponent, he was red instead of blue; the trophy I got as a reward was Mario's and there was no credits music.

What happens if you try playing the Subspace Emissary?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

alcharagia posted:

What happens if you try playing the Subspace Emissary?

I'm trying it now. I'll get back with the results shortly.

Fake Edit: I got up to the first character select screen where you choose between Kirby or Mario and the game kinda stopped loading once I picked Kirby. I don't think the game locked up proper, since it's still playing a song on a continuous loop. Said song is the final boss theme of Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, however (not that I don't like the song, I made the BSTRM for it on Brawl Custom Songs). :v:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

F. Lobot posted:

I've always hated this video because it implies that wavedashing and L-cancelling are the most important because they're presented first. In reality I'd say shieldgrabbing, dashdancing, and edgehogging are far more important, and easier techniques to start out with. In Melee and moreso Project M, there are characters who can get away with never wavedashing or L-cancelling. Old school Melee pro Ken was known for dominating without ever wavedashing.

Wavedashing isn't that important for a lot of characters, but SHFFLing is a really, really important thing to learn because there are a ton of characters who rely on spacing their aerials to zone, and if you can't SHFFL consistently you'll get blasted when you're in landing lag by anyone who knows what they're doing.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

nerdbot posted:

I'm not an expert but this sounds more like what happened when my first-generation Wii's disc drive started dying off. Brawl is a dual-layered disc and older Wiis just start making GBS threads the bed trying to read it. It's certainly not something that should be happening over homebrew.

It just seems awfully coincidental that it worked fine the day prior and only starts breaking down when I try 3.0. :ohdear:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Raserys posted:

It just seems awfully coincidental that it worked fine the day prior and only starts breaking down when I try 3.0. :ohdear:

I feel your pain. :( The best way, I've found, to get around this is to rip your Brawl disk to either an ISO or a WBFS file and load that through a USB loader. You're going to have to hack your Wii, of course, but at least you won't have to deal with your Wii's inability to load disks. Depending on the USB loader you use, you can also have it automatically start up with the Project M codes so you don't have to launch Gecko each time. As long as you keep your rip completely to yourself and don't share it, it shouldn't be considered :files:, right?

Edit: Also Concept Art Meta Knight has butterfly wings. Seems kinda jarring considering that the mask looks super menacing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Hilarious bug/feature I found tonight while playing Turbo Mode with my brother. While playing on Training Stage (Which is ridiculously tall), he would sometimes mash Marth's up+B and maybe side+b and on hitting me, would rocket into some zone far above the stage. It would take ~5+ seconds for him to fall back into view, yet never ended with a SD. Sometimes it just zipped him to the top of the screen, but it's hilarious when he's just hitting buttons then suddenly MARTH PRINCE OF SPACE. Occasionally he'd even knock me up there with him.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
Hooray, I scavenged the buttons, membranes and sticks from my busted-rear end Gamecube controller and put them in one of those terrible Cirka models and now I have something functional that probably won't last very long but whatever! Now I too can Mewtwo. Hovering is the dopest poo poo ever.

You're supposed to be able to 'store' Green Missile misfires now by continuing to hold down B after the green flash indicating the misfire, right? I haven't been able to get this to work.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kanpachi posted:

Hooray, I scavenged the buttons, membranes and sticks from my busted-rear end Gamecube controller and put them in one of those terrible Cirka models and now I have something functional that probably won't last very long but whatever! Now I too can Mewtwo. Hovering is the dopest poo poo ever.

You're supposed to be able to 'store' Green Missile misfires now by continuing to hold down B after the green flash indicating the misfire, right? I haven't been able to get this to work.

What storing means is basically, if you hold the button down after seeing the flash, next time you use the Green Missle without charging, you'll get a misfire.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Kanpachi posted:

If you flash green that means you have one stored. Let go right as it flashes to use it. If you hold longer you won't use it, thus saving it. Haven't played 3.0 yet but that's what worked for me before.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

According to the patch notes you have to press R to store misfires now. Beats me why they would change that.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
Ah, they changed it. I thought I had gone stark raving mad.

F. Lobot posted:

According to the patch notes you have to press R to store misfires now. Beats me why they would change that.

Further, you have to hold be holding R when you release B, otherwise the misfire will be used then and there.

Or so I have observed. Thanks everyone.

e: I guess they changed it so you can decide whether to fire or store after the green flash has passed, where before you were locked into the decision just by charging the missile for that long.

krystal.lynn fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 13, 2013

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Where is my god drat pokefloats.

Also, mind you I know very little of law, but how is it that these guys are scared of Nintendo? Isn't this all 100% legal and dandy as long as they don't start selling it?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Space T Rex posted:

Where is my god drat pokefloats.

Also, mind you I know very little of law, but how is it that these guys are scared of Nintendo? Isn't this all 100% legal and dandy as long as they don't start selling it?

I'd imagine brand identity and the fact that its in "competition" with an official Nintendo product could be reasons for the fear.

People not buying Smash 4 because of Project M is still a lost sale even if Project M makes no profit off of it. Misinformation spreading about Mewtwo and Roy getting into Smash 4 could be pretty bad too.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Does having no earthly idea of what I'm doing or even what's going on mean I'm playing Turbo Mode correctly?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space T Rex posted:

If Nintendo sends them a cease and desist, they basically have to bend over and take it. They could argue it in court but they're a bunch of twenty-something nerds going up against the third largest company in Japan.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Butt Ghost posted:

Does having no earthly idea of what I'm doing or even what's going on mean I'm playing Turbo Mode correctly?

I think Turbo Mode really gets cool once it starts "clicking". I mean mashing is fine, but the second you realize that suddenly you can combo Bowser's fire into his forward smash your eyes sort of light up and the world just gets a little bit more beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Endorph posted:

If Nintendo sends them a cease and desist, they basically have to bend over and take it. They could argue it in court but they're a bunch of twenty-something nerds going up against the third largest company in Japan.

Would they have to stop having it for download, or just have to stop working on it, or both?

• Locked thread