Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JGBeagle posted:

No, but America got them in OTL so they must get them in all timelines. Even as an American I really hate how America is handled in Victoria II.

Can't be worse than Canada. A whole lot less flavour and getting it to work right while playing as them is pretty drat hard, or at least it has for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Strayed posted:

The big problem with America in vicky 2 is just what do you would do with it? You have an entire continent made of only three nations. America and Mexico are pretty much already in a boarder war at game start and with America's larger industrial and population base Mexico is going to lose. Manifest Destiny is too big a part of American history and comes about too early in OTL, being an idea that originated in the 1840's, to be excluded so the push for the Pacific is bound to happen. Next you have the Civil War, which the Union will win for the same reasons that it beat Mexico. After that you're left with one of the largest nations on Earth stuck in its own corner with nothing to do until late in the game when naval technology allows for trans-oceanic excursions.

Without player intervention and given its relative isolation, the US' fate in the 100 years of Victoria 2 seems pretty much railroaded by history. I honestly don't know what could be done to handle it better.

It doesn't even properly model how Manifest Destiny played out. Instead of the West Coast getting colonized first you get America literally colonizing it's way to the coast.

I kinda wish I had some modding capability so I could try to patch up America and make them a little more fluid.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
USA's problem is that there really isn't much for it to do because it can utterly dominate its hemisphere but fighting the Europeans is a real pain in the early-mid game so USA tends to stay on its continent, growing stronger and more populous, until the late game.

Which all kind of sounds familiar. :v:

Seriously, though, all the fun Western Hemisphere starts are countries that have to weather the supremacy of Uncle Sam or break it. Mexico's great because you'll always have a fun adversary: even if you prevent Manifest Destiny, USA's population is going to balloon so hard that even without the Southwest they'll easily overstrip you on everything unless you stay vigilant.

Colombia (which is what I was secretly rooting for at the start of thread vote) is another good one because even Gran Colombia is going to be a pathetic joke compared to the USA but it can be powerful enough to keep control of its own backyard.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That update was excellent, and I cracked up at UK NO BAD UK

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Population tidbits: Prague (SGF) is the second-largest city in Europe, at 1.5 million Pops (or 6 million inhabitants), trailing only London at 2.16 million Pops (or 8.64 million people), making it also the largest city in the world. Munich is third at 1.1 million.

Irtutsk in Siberia and Casper, Wymoming both have almost exactly the same population as Istanbul. Way to go, Turks!

Asia's largest city is, of course, Zhongding, China at 2.02 million pops. Agra, India seems to come in second at 1.67 million.

The Western Hemisphere doesn't have any cities that break a million, though New York's hovering around 900k. Instead, the USA seems to have spread out its population so that hundreds of thousands of people live in the most remote locations. Bismarck, North Dakota breaks 200k pops, or 800k total people.

Largest city in Africa is just barely Freetown in British Sierra Leone, edging out Cairo. Both have roughly 350k pops.

EDIT: Feel free to suggest the city of your choice.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 9, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
How's Boston doing? Also, what are the largest cities besides London in the UK?

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

How's good ol' Vancouver doing? :cryingmarijuanaleaf:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Looks like Rio de Janiero is the top city in Latin America at 420k pops (1.68 million people), followed by Bogota at 386k. (Jamaica has 627k pops, but I don't really consider that Latin America). Mexico City is a modest 277k and isn't even the largest city in Mexico, that'd be Guadalajara at 300k.

Boston has 619k pops, making it the third-largest city in the USA after New York (898k pops) and Philadelphia (835k pops). Nashville, TN is the fourth largest city in the USA at 469k pops.

Vancouver is a modest 35k + 26k on the island itself, meaning that it is still not very crowded. The liveliest place in Canada is Montreal at 225k pops, placing Candada's largest city in a near-population tie with St. Louis.

60k pops (or a quarter million people) live on the Falklands. A 70k live on Easter Island. Similar numbers live on Ascension and St. Helena.

Breslau is by far the largest city in North German Federation at 700k pops...Berlin is ~400k.

Pretty much no one lives in Sweden. Despite being a fusion of Sweden and Norway, the country's total population is equal to the city of Prague's.

After the megacity of London and its 2.16 million pops, the next largest British city is Manchester, at 1 million, and Liverpool, at 880k. Dublin is 613k.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Patter Song posted:

60k pops (or a quarter million people) live on the Falklands. A 70k live on Easter Island. Similar numbers live on Ascension and St. Helena.

Haha jesus, those must either be loving Kowloon living conditions or the greatest sanitation techs on the planet.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
The best nation to play in Vicky II's America is Texas. if you play your cards right you can take a chunk out of Mexico, then turn around and support the Confederates, and suddenly there's four equalish powers in the USA.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Patter Song posted:

How can this happen? Are all provinces basically equal in the simulator (barring stuff like trade goods) regardless of real-life size? What kind of system would drive immigration of 250,000 people to Easter Island? (Or have the Rapa Nui just been reproducing like mad?)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Akratic Method posted:

How can this happen? Are all provinces basically equal in the simulator (barring stuff like trade goods) regardless of real-life size? What kind of system would drive immigration of 250,000 people to Easter Island? (Or have the Rapa Nui just been reproducing like mad?)

All provinces have a number called their "life rating," which indicates how welcoming they are to human habitation. Provinces with really high life rating become very attractive to immigrants. A combination of high life rating and a lucrative, under-exploited RGO good or factory with plenty of job openings drive internal migration. Easter Island is owned by the British and there's a lot of poor people in the British Empire who might see a tropical paradise with practically no one working there and plenty of potential for employment and go "screw life in Timbuktu, I'm going to Easter Island!"

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Hey, hows Reno and Las Vegas doing, if they even exist yet.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Patter Song posted:

All provinces have a number called their "life rating," which indicates how welcoming they are to human habitation. Provinces with really high life rating become very attractive to immigrants. A combination of high life rating and a lucrative, under-exploited RGO good or factory with plenty of job openings drive internal migration. Easter Island is owned by the British and there's a lot of poor people in the British Empire who might see a tropical paradise with practically no one working there and plenty of potential for employment and go "screw life in Timbuktu, I'm going to Easter Island!"

So, does EI have a high life rating, then? I dunno, this just blows my mind; I've been there and it's a barren speck of an island that can't support the 6,000 people that live there now without tourism and subsidies, and I'm trying to figure out whether this result is possible due to weird simulator rules, or ill-researched settings in the base data. (If this turns into a whole derail, you can quit answering.)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The game doesn't really simulate carrying capacity in any way. Blame the global trading system where the peeps in Easter island can buy as much food as easily as a Londoner.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The game doesn't really simulate carrying capacity in any way. Blame the global trading system where the peeps in Easter island can buy as much food as easily as a Londoner.

Actually, it doesn't simulate colonization properly. Or at least how it played out IRL. Just because the UK claimed the Easter Islands as their territory didn't mean people were moving in droves. Most of the time it was more of a symbolic action in order to say "You can't claim this as your own" to other countries.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I can't remember, do all North American nations get a big wacky immigration boost? Or was it US specific?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I can't remember, do all North American nations get a big wacky immigration boost? Or was it US specific?

US Specific. Mexico and Canada don't get any immigration boosts last time I checked.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

North America, South America, and Oceania all get a +200% immigrant bonus. That's added to the accumulated +s from all your various political and social reforms. USA gets two decisions that further increase their immigration: the Homestead Act, which gives an additional +50%, and Liberty Enlightening the World, which gives +500%. All that on top of immigrant preference for moving to GPs and democracies being immune from emigration and USA is in a pretty golden position.

If you can have Jacobins overthrow the government of, say, Mexico, get it up there in the bottom tier GP ranks, and USA doesn't get its damned statue, you can probably expect a pretty steady flow of immigrants 50%-75% the size of the US'. Countries like Bolivia and Chile that will spend most of the game as dictatorships will likely never see a single immigrant and be barren, unpopulated wastelands.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

All of both Americas and Oceania (Australia and nearby islands) get a 300% boost to their chance to be the target of an immigration. In the midgame, though a decision made by France, the US can get a special modifier in New York for the statue of liberty that gives them another 200% on top.

This page should have all the non-event modifiers
http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Immagration

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think there's a general Americas boost, and then the USA gets a big loving boost on top of it that makes the general boost mostly useless unless you've specifically geared yourself for immigrants and the USA is backwards as hell.

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
It kind of blows my mind that Bismark, ND has half the population of Berlin in this game.

How is Paris doing?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Narahari posted:

It kind of blows my mind that Bismark, ND has half the population of Berlin in this game.

How is Paris doing?

1.15 million, or marginally larger than Munich. Still the third largest city in Europe after London and Prague.

It has seen better days, though. It's far smaller than it once was.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Patter Song posted:

1.15 million, or marginally larger than Munich. Still the third largest city in Europe after London and Prague.

I wonder why.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

What about Detroit?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Patter Song posted:

Sounds like you still have some work to do, then.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sergg posted:

What about Detroit?

256k pops, or just over a million total. It's big, but dwarfed by Cleveland, which appears to be the biggest city in the neighborhood at 390k pops. Windsor, Ontario is ~65k pops.

EDIT: Fun fact: Poland has cores on Silesia. Poland-Lithuania does not have cores on Silesia. On the other hand, Poland-Lithuania has cores on East Prussia, but Poland does not.

Is there a point to this thought experiment? Perhaps.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 12, 2014

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Patter Song posted:

256k pops, or just over a million total. It's big, but dwarfed by Cleveland, which appears to be the biggest city in the neighborhood at 390k pops. Windsor, Ontario is ~65k pops.

EDIT: Fun fact: Poland has cores on Silesia. Poland-Lithuania does not have cores on Silesia. On the other hand, Poland-Lithuania has cores on East Prussia, but Poland does not.

Is there a point to this thought experiment? Perhaps.

Looking forward to the Tale of Two Polands next update.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Well, my most hilarious game involved being Mexico, and trying really friggin hard to cut the US down to size.

The Problem: Each US state costs 10 war score, and there are a lot of states. Solution:

1: Sphere the entirety of South America
2: In next war with the USA, wipe out their armies, but only siege enough provinces to get decent supply lines
3: Let your South American Battle thralls occupy stuff
4: Do not occupy Washington (its a good way for your vasalls to get war score)
5: Laugh maniacally as each of your Battle thralls adds some "take whatever" wargoal
6: Eventually crush the rest, of the USA, marvel at Columbian New Jersey and Paraguayan Idaho.
7: Panic when you notice that Paraguy went over the Badboy Limit and got DoWed by the UK, France, and Russia.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Further discoveries: Heligoland has a population of 100k pops (400k people) and a thriving industrial sector including a fuel refinery and an automotive factory.

The British have granted statehood (full integration) to all but the most obscure of their colonies. There are presumably MPs from Timbuktu, the Yucatan, Jamaica, and Botswana serving alongside MPs from the Midlands, Anglia, Yorkshire, and Cornwall.

EDIT:

A few of you have asked why Britain's Industrial score is as high as it is.

"But Patter Song, you're only showing us the most heavily industrialized parts of the Empire! What does the rest of it look like?"

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 12, 2014

Dwarsen
Jan 27, 2004
Dungeon Master

Patter Song posted:

Pretty much no one lives in Sweden. Despite being a fusion of Sweden and Norway, the country's total population is equal to the city of Prague's.

Why does no one want free health care and moose? :smith:

Blogkb - because you too like video games, old and new (it's just a blog)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Update played and everything, will come sometime tonight.

Fun fact! Six countries still have slavery in 1931 (actually, it's about 12 countries that have slavery, but 6 have actual slaves).

Brazil leads the world with 273k slave pops (or over a million slaves), making up a whopping 5.7% of their population. No one else has over 40k slave pops. Colombia, Ethiopia, Venezuela, Paraguay, and Uruguay all have slaves, but in the cases of Colombia, Paraguay, and Uruguay it's all below 1% of the total population.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I have a really simple dumbass question.

What's the difference between "pops" and actual population numbers? What's the ratio like?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

LoonShia posted:

I have a really simple dumbass question.

What's the difference between "pops" and actual population numbers? What's the ratio like?

One pop = four people. Pops are supposed to be the male, in employment population, therefore the pops are like half of half of the population (excluding the elderly, the very young, disabled, etc.). Each pop represents a family of four.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

edit: ^ yeah that.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Patter Song posted:

One pop = four people. Pops are supposed to be the male, in employment population, therefore the pops are like half of half of the population (excluding the elderly, the very young, disabled, etc.). Each pop represents a family of four.

Which is kind of confusing when you think about it, since within Victoria's time period you still had tons of women in the workforce.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Well the population not represented in pops also handle all the commercial, logistic, service, education, ect industries. Basically anything not the Soldiers, Raw materials, Heavy industry, and bureaucracy that the "pops" do.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Patter Song posted:

The British have granted statehood (full integration) to all but the most obscure of their colonies. There are presumably MPs from Timbuktu, the Yucatan, Jamaica, and Botswana serving alongside MPs from the Midlands, Anglia, Yorkshire, and Cornwall.

"But Patter Song, you're only showing us the most heavily industrialized parts of the Empire! What does the rest of it look like?"

The British Empire with a more French than the French attitude about colonial integration. I dig it.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
I just imagine Heligoland as being a massive series of expansions to the island, like a steampunk floating city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
XVI: Life Among the Bohemians: 1926-1931

Yes, yes, come in. I know, it's my first time going to one of Gertrude Stein's famous salon parties since she moved to Prague, but I've met many of these men before, back when we were in Paris. Look, there's Papa Hemingway! If you've never read his book about fighting the British in their imperial conquest of Granada from Spain, I highly recommend it. Watch yourself around him, dear, he's quite the womanizer, especially when he's deep into that absinthe. Dreadful stuff. Ernest! What do you have to say about Siam?

Qinghai and Japan went easy on them. They should have smashed the British forever. Qinghai should have used the treaty as an opportunity to twist Britain's balls off. Instead they used a golden opportunity to crush the Siamese. Qinghai's destruction is only fitting.

Siam is so weak that its king abandoned the flaccid British and turned to a manly power to defend it from Qinghai and Japan, not that it needed the protection.

Oh? Did you follow that war, Ernest?

The men of Qinghai and Japan were weak.

The men of the Soviet Union were similarly weak. The time will come when the world is ruled by the Beijing-Washington axis, America and China are both splendidly strong today.

Would you believe that Portugal somehow held Macau for all those centuries? China taking Macau is a China asserting its manliness to the world again. Ah, my pistol isn't enough sometimes.

What would you rather have than a pistol, Ernest?

A few ideas come to mind.

...Quite. Great talking to you, Ernest, but I see Salvador over there, I have to go. Salvador! Salvador Dali! This is Salvador Dali, the surrealist painter. I want to introduce you to my new friend here, she's new from America. New to our little expat expat community, that is. Remember how we used to gather in Paris before the war and the revolution?

Which revolution do you mean? Also, I resent your description of me as a surrealist painter. Have you seen the USA-Soviet borders in American Columbia? Some nameless mapmaker in Washington is clearly the patron saint of the surrealist movement.

Perhaps, Salvador, you could explain to our guest what the French Civil War was.

Gladly. Gertrude was kind enough to have a print framed. I feel that it says everything I need to say about the state of France over the past decade.

Have you two noticed that every time the French has a new government, it instantly aligns with the USSR and North Germany? The French are going to put all of us Surrealists out of work. I hear Marcel Duchamp put a urinal up for contention for membership in the French National Assembly under the name M. Fountain, and M. Fountain won a resounding plurality!

The masses have rejected politics based on tradition and embraced politics based on swings of emotion. French politics have truly been like a beautiful canvas showing their hopes and fears, at least until the Chinese killed all of their most expressive, rebellious people and left that boring republic in charge.

...Erm, yes, quite. Moving on, is...is that Cole Porter himself on the piano? Cole! Linda! I haven't seen you guys since Paris!

"I spent the winter in Italy/I looked at Mussolini and he looked at me/but he didn't look my boyfriend back home..."

Oh, don't mind Cole, he's quite proud of that new song. It's been some time indeed: did you hear that George Gershwin recently came to Prague as well?

I did not, Linda. I guess he finally realized that bringing jazz to the Americans is a doomed venture? Also, Linda, I thought I'd introduce you to my friend here. You'd better keep Cole away from her, she's quite the mankiller.

...I don't think you need to worry about Cole, she's...not exactly his type. Besides, all the men are paying attention to her. One look at her and...I want to go to Zanzibar to get away from that stare.

Zelda Fitzgerald? But she's a joy, Linda! I guess if she's here Scott is as well? I know you were joking but I would like to see Zanzibar some day. Just the name conjures up mystery and excitement. Zanzibar.

You know what they say, when Gertrude Stein's salon is open all the dinner clubs in New York are closed. Everyone who's anyone is here in Prague, and Cole and I maintain that the progress we've seen here in the SGF is partially due to the presence of so many enlightened souls.

The SGF government has found the solution to the class war, don't you think, Cole?

"Who wants to be a millionaire? I don't! And go to every swell affair? I don't! Who wants to ride behind a liveried chauffeur? A liveried chauffeur do I want? No sir! Who wants an opera box, I'll bet? I don't! And tire of Wagner at the Met? I don't! Who wants to corner Cartier's too? I don't 'cuz all I want is you!"

That is so sweet, Cole! See you and Linda later, there are so many other people we need to pay our respects to. (Mr. and Mrs. Porter's relationship isn't quite what it seems...just go along with it.) Now are my eyes deceiving me or is that F. Scott Fitzgerald himself? What do you have to say for yourself, old sport?

Have you read my new novel, Der Große Gatz? This fellow Jay Gatsby from the USA follows his high society flame back to her native Munich and tries to integrate himself into SGF society as Jan Gatz, using his amazing business acumen to pioneer new techniques to make himself one of the richest men in Europe. It's a latter-day telling of the story of Trimalchio. Every night, Gatz stares across the Isar river and sees a green light...

Now, Scott, don't give away the story, they still haven't bought the book yet! Hello there, I see your champagne flute is running on empty, let me refill it. And who is that with you? The name's Zelda, Zelda Fitzgerald. This is my husband Scott, who should probably stop drinking before he spoils Der Große Gatz to everyone in Prague.

Don't you both just love it here in the most forwards city in the world? Coming here from New York is like venturing forwards in time a decade. People always say that the USA and China are the powers of tomorrow, well, SGF is the place to be today!

Things can't continue like this forever, can they? Scott, Zelda, how can you remain so calm when the country is losing its mind?

If the world goes mad around us, is not this land self-sufficient? Let the world crumble, the music will play on in Gertrude Stein's house...and the champagne will keep flowing. Speaking of, seriously, Scott, put down the champagne, you've had enough.

I think both of you Fitzgeralds might be underestimating this vile tide sweeping the world.

Even the British are losing their grasp on some of their more radical settler possessions. I shudder to think what would happen to the Africans if South Africa fully broke with Britain and lost its leash.

Oh, lighten up! Hoffmann is dead, and with him South German militarism, right?

I certainly hope so. Now if you'll excuse me, we have more people to see... And is that who I think it is? Herr Hermann Hesse, I didn't think you travelled in these circles? A bit of a young crowd for you, eh?

There has to be at least one native of the South German Federation at this emigrant feast.

The East wakens.

For a generation, my beloved India has been a joke, but even it slowly stumbles to its feet. Did you ever get a chance to read Siddartha? If so, you'll recall how Siddartha saw the way and met the great Gautama Buddha, discoursed with him, and rejected his path, saying that he must find his own way? India is like Siddartha. It rejected the paths of its neighbors and has made its own way, knowing little joy and much suffering. Like the asetic monks of Buddha's time it has starved itself, lived impoverished and shamefully on the margins of world society, bullied by its neighbors. It has found its own path to its Enlightenment at last. Like Arjuna of old, it is reminded by Lord Krishna Himself now of its Dharma as a nation of kshatriyas, its duty to fight and conquer and kill to restore its former borders, for truly a kshatriya cannot retreat from the battlefield.

I'm no religion scholar but it sounds like you just segued from Buddhism to Hinduism, Herr Hesse.

Ah, my beloved India, how I wish to see her again! To walk the streets of Benares and bathe in the holy river Ganges...

Um...see you later, Herr Hesse! Who else is here? Ah, the hostess herself! Ms. Stein, it is lovely to see you again. I'd like to introduce my lovely ladyfriend here, fresh off the boat from New York.

It's a pleasure to see you again and it is a far greater pleasure to make your friend's acquaintance. Je suis enchanté, my pretty mademoiselle...of course, we are not in Paris anymore. Fraulein, then.

Oh, Gertrude, you always were one to charm feminine beauty, but she's my date tonight. Anyway, what have you been up to?

I recently saw a brilliant show by a young man, a local playwright named Bertolt Brecht from Augsburg. It's called Die Dreigroschenoper, perhaps you've heard of it?

The Threepenny Opera? Can't say I have. Is this Brecht fellow here tonight?

No, sadly, he had to duck out of the country out of fear of the upcoming draft. You look shocked, haven't you been following the news?

The upcoming war with the NGF and France over Slovakia, of course!

Did literally no one at this party mention that we're mere weeks away from world war? What does that say about the kind of people who come to my festivities? Oh, but of course, for the most brilliant and sensitive minds of the age, the peace they get here in this brilliant party, in the company of their peers, is their only respite from a world gone mad.

So you came across the Atlantic in ten days, eh? Hard to believe how well ships are coming along these days.

Laughing at the tragedy of international events is the only relief from the tears sometimes. They are crazy, are they not?

Have you heard about the revival of the Moldavian monarchy? In a completely different place than that which it ruled when it existed 15 years ago? How can one just move a country? The world has gone mad today, I tell you. What? No, Cole, that wasn't a song request...

"The world has gone mad today/and good's bad today/and black's white today/and day's night today/when most guys today that women prize today/are just silly jiggalos/and though I'm not a great romancer I know that you're bound to answer when I propose/anything goes!"

...Yes, Ernest, you have total permission to shoot the piano.

SGF Demographics

The World, 1931

• Locked thread