Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

I don't even really like 2 strokes but I'm jealous of that thing. Post pics of the rest of your toys!

Those are fightin words!

Love two strokes, and this is a sweet project. I've always sort of thought we should have a 2-stroke chat thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok since this is now the general two stroke chat thread, I'll throw in with my current project.

I have a 1975 Kawasaki F11 250 (I'll add pictures when I'm not phoneposting). Great 70's enduro, which means it runs well, but has terrible suspension and maybe OK brakes.

The F11 was praised in its day for its good road manners and handling both on and off road, but like most bikes it's age, the suspension didn't stand the test of time. Fast forward 39 years and the forks are atrocious compared to other modern bikes. My off-road experiences with it mostly involve the forks tromboning around and bottoming out.

When a co-worker of mine offered me an 88 RM250 in a box with a blown motor for $60 I snapped it right up. For those who don't follow old dirt bikes, the 88 RM250 is widely viewed as having the pinnacle of conventional fork technology. The next generation RM saw a move to USD forks and a reduction in fork performance. The brakes were good too, considering that they ran the same brakes up through 08.

So I set forth grafting the complete rm250 front end on to my F11, forks, triples, wheel, brake and all. It's been a maddening journey down the bearing and spacer rabbit hole, but I've got it mounted and working.

I'll try to snap some pics tonight.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sir Cornelius posted:

Can't loving hear you, mate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4FudiMUIr0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UfpoQYjhY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW1DZVfCprM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQIkjHwFEI

Also the title of this thread is technically incorrect for all Suzukies equipped with SRIS - including, but not limited to, the GT750 water buffalo and the OPs sexy RG500. They all run fine with cheap 10w40 in the lubrication tank with the point-lubrication and recycle system. I've seen 4-strokes burn more oil.

Holy poo poo, a sir Cornelius post I agree with!!!! My RV90 never ever smokes and has a super reliable lube system. It's not SRIS, but the older CCI was awesome for its time. My kawi 250 that is 3 years newer smokes like crazy till it warms up and smokes only slightly less when it's warm. If it wasn't for the sound, you'd think the RV90 was a 4-stroke.

I still run actual 2-stroke oil in mine for the smell :3: but I have run 10wWhatever one time in a pinch, it did fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I spotted this while playing gta 5, thought it was cool to see in a video game released in 2013.

I was playing online and that car creeping in from the right of the frame hit me at about 900 mph a fraction of a second after I snapped the pic and killed me, so at least I got photographic evidence of the two stroke mention.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Twas not I. My DG pipes went with my RD

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skreemer posted:

From what little I know of them the suzuki 2-strokes were/are heavy ponderous and didn't handle all that great. Decent bikes and reliable when kept up on maintenance but not enything anyone would go gaga for except collectors of folks that had one back in the day.

They are the most reliable two strokes out of the 4 japanese manufacturers, and all bikes from that era were heavy and ponderous, so you may as well go with the one least likely to leave you stranded

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Only the gt750 was water cooled. The rest had that ram air head. The gt's weren't necessarily the most popular, but 40 years on, they're the best.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the gt750's were pushed as sport touring bikes and are crazy reliable for any older bike, let alone an older two stroke

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mostly that the oil pumps inject oil right into the crank bearings. Yamaha just threw it in the carb Venturi, so whatever oil was lucky enough to splash onto the bearings was all you got. Kawasaki eventually went the Suzuki route but suzukis cci was a more mature product.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

Why do you need to inject it into the bearings? All the non road going bikes have is pre-mixed gas and their crank bearings seem to hold up just fine assuming you're running normal ratios.

They don't hold up at sustained high rpm. Sustained like "hours on the highway" sustained. You generally need to do RD top ends and sometimes bearings within 10k. Bikes like the gt750 can hit four stroke rebuild intervals.

Bikes that run premix or inject like an RD aren't hand grenades waiting to blow up, but they won't do Suzuki cci mileage. Kawasaki in their weird agreement with Suzuki basically lifted cci for their own bikes, called it something else and ran it a bit differently.

E: the later suzukis called it something other than cci, the name of which escapes me, but it was the same basic philosophy

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 7, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The TDR is also much more advanced than your average early-mid-70's two stroke. It uses better metals, cooling is better, tighter tolerances, better rings, timing, everything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah there is no question that back then and today, the RD's are the most popular.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DefaultPeanut posted:

5:1 dilute of Phosphoric acid after scraping it as clean as I can get it. Last time I let that stuff sit in my rusty RD tank, it went from rust to perfectly bare in 10 minutes. I wouldn't mind giving reverse electrolysis a shot, but what kind of current would one have to pass in order to get a clean tank?

Standard car battery charger on the "jump start" mode is what I did. Worked great, I've done it with 4 tanks now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LOL if you don't have the layout of all carbs memorized :fella:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cubs own

Buy one and do this:

http://youtu.be/JOnErfo2X2k

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Frosty- posted:

A little while back I got a '75 Suzuki T500. It had been working OK. The brakes barely functioned and the tires are the originals, so I didn't ride it a lot. It started just fine without a lot of kicking, though, and seemed plenty powerful.

I put it away a few months ago. Tanked it up and put some fuel stabilizer in, just as the least I could do until I got back to it later. I just checked the bike and it seems to have pissed all its gasoline away. The petcock was definitely set to off.

So what the hell? I'd normally assume a carb float got stuck, but even if that happened it shouldn't let gas flood out of the tank without the fuel petcock turned on, right? I guess I'll take the tank and carbs off and start cleaning and replacing things, but what should I do about the rest of the bike? Is there a procedure for making sure everything is good to go in the event that the crankcase may have filled with gasoline?

And if the gas didn't get out via carbs how else could it have? The tank doesn't have a hole in it.

I do kind of like this stupid bike, but I should have got a Kawi triple instead, and one that doesn't need quite so much attention to work correctly, anyway.

Bad petcock gasket. Dont feel too bad about getting a stupid Suzuki stroker, they really were the best of the 70's two-strokes, even though (and partially because) they didnt make as much power as the H1/etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

How were they the best? I'd literally never heard of a T500. What makes them better than the RDs of the time?

The oiling was much more sophisticated and conducive to longevity.

The rd's basically drool oil into the carb Venturi, and oiling is up to air flow. The Suzukis inject oil straight into the bearings, where it needs to be. That enables them to get much longer life while using less oil.

Rd's need to be rebuilt every 10-15k, give or take. The GT series could run for an exceptionally long time without a rebuild, so much so that when they combined that excellent oiling with liquid cooling in the gt750, it actually worked well as a touring bike, which is not typically something two strokes were happy about.

Now, to be fair, the yamahas always made more power for similar displacement, and nowadays that makes them a bit more desirable than the gt's because no one in tyool 2015 tours on a two stroke, but back in the day when two strokes were common and people used them for utilitarian purposes, the gt's were the hot ticket.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will say other manufacturers wised up eventually. Kawi was the first to copy the Suzuki CCI system, Yamaha did later as well, but by then the street two stroke boom was mostly over

• Locked thread