Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Count me in on this, I take it we are ordering them from Robinson Laser on our own to our desired thickness and steel type (I guess structural over commercial) because it seemed first reading the thread we'd be doing a bulk purchase.

Edit: It seems UPS does not provide any shipping information for me among the options. Instead it's giving me only the FedEx choice and economy is 123 dollars to DC :gonk:.

drat I'm terrible at forms. I used autofill :v:.

So structural black or commercial black?

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I should've learned how to make pizza first before making a steel. My first one was a clown car of mistakes.

RogueWarrior27
Jul 3, 2006

Blindeye posted:

Count me in on this, I take it we are ordering them from Robinson Laser on our own to our desired thickness and steel type (I guess structural over commercial) because it seemed first reading the thread we'd be doing a bulk purchase.

Edit: It seems UPS does not provide any shipping information for me among the options. Instead it's giving me only the FedEx choice and economy is 123 dollars to DC :gonk:.

I took a look at your shipping address and noticed that the selected state is Alabama. If you select DC at the bottom of the state field you should have no issue getting a rate for UPS.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Welp, I've bit the bullet, I will let you guys know how A36 steel comes out through the seasoning process!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Steve Yun posted:

I should've learned how to make pizza first before making a steel. My first one was a clown car of mistakes.

The ol' calzone pizza??

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I'll join the suckers on the official interested list.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

I too am interested, mostly just waiting to see the results form chiieef or anyone else who's ordered one already

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

No europe shipping?

SifuToast
Oct 10, 2003

Bring on the Whores!!

BlueGrot posted:

No europe shipping?

Well, we use fedex and ups so it's certainly possible. We don't have an interface built to accept orders from Europe. We could certainly look into it for you. Just out of curiosity, what country?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

SifuToast posted:

Well, we use fedex and ups so it's certainly possible. We don't have an interface built to accept orders from Europe. We could certainly look into it for you. Just out of curiosity, what country?

Norway specifically but rates for the UK and Denmark would also be helpful.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yeah Norway here too.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Put me on that list, interested.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Everyone new to this thread: just go order it yourselves, go to the url and use the coupon code and the dxf file below for a plain design

GrAviTy84 posted:

http://www.robinsonlaser.com/?clid=1083

Coupon code: SAGOONS

Basic template: http://www.robinsonlaser.com/goons/GrAviTy84-2.dxf

I'd be down for a version with a small :chef: in the corner if someone wants to draft it up.

Or use this dxf file if you want a chef smiley

SifuToast posted:

https://www.robinsonlaser.com/goons/chefsmiley3.dxf

DFu4ever threw a chef smiley in the lower right.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
Thanks for getting everything together, guys.

I do think I'm going to hold out and see what the finished product looks like. Can one of you goons who ordered a steel please post some pics/reviews once you've received yours? That'd be awesome. :)

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Everyone new to this thread: just go order it yourselves, go to the url and use the coupon code and the dxf file below for a plain design

Or use this dxf file if you want a chef smiley

Thanks, looks like $65 out the door for the etched one, not bad!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Is there no discount/bulk thing then? Does shipping from goon distro canx the bulk discount?

vvv OK, thanks

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 7, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
No bulk, just use the coupon code

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Just want to confirm to get the right product - 1/4" steel, commercial grade? I don't see a specific option to choose like A36 steel or anything, am I missing something? Running through I get a total of $39, which is a lot less then what everyone else is saying.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Commercial, yes. 3/8" seems to be the consensus. 1/4" won't hold heat as well (or some poo poo), and 1/2" is overkill.

Since we're not doing a group buy, I'll just wait and let you other braves souls be my guinea pigs.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Thanks. Ordered a 3/8" steel with chef on it. I guess I have to bake a lot more pizza now! :btroll:

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005

Laminator posted:

Just want to confirm to get the right product - 1/4" steel, commercial grade? I don't see a specific option to choose like A36 steel or anything, am I missing something? Running through I get a total of $39, which is a lot less then what everyone else is saying.

You've already ordered, but A36 is their structural grade steel.

http://www.robinsonlaser.com/blog/how-do-i-know-what-grade-of-material-to-select/

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

I see. Will there be any appreciable difference between the A1011 CS Type B and A36 for use as a hot surface to cook pizza? I can't imagine there would be much, I'm not planning on welding or building a pizza bridge.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

geetee posted:

Commercial, yes. 3/8" seems to be the consensus. 1/4" won't hold heat as well (or some poo poo), and 1/2" is overkill.

Since we're not doing a group buy, I'll just wait and let you other braves souls be my guinea pigs.

Well gently caress, I went and ordered a 1/4". I've been on a pizza kick with my stone lately, so I guess I'll see how it works out and post my results.

RogueWarrior27
Jul 3, 2006
We have added support for international shipments via UPS. There is a small list of countries to choose from, including the ones listed in this thread, but we will be adding more in the near future. If there is a country not listed, please let us know and we can add support for it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

geetee posted:

But Not Tonight posted:

Well gently caress, I went and ordered a 1/4". I've been on a pizza kick with my stone lately, so I guess I'll see how it works out and post my results.

I think the problem with 1/4 vs 3/8 was just when you wanted to make more than one pizza. The 3/8 being heavier retains heat better vs the 1/4 for that second pizza.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Yea, that's my problem. My first go I made two pizzas, and the second one was kind of undercooked because I hadn't waited for the stone to heat up again. The second time was three, and the very last one wasn't so bad, mostly because it stuck to the large pizza sheet I was using as a peel so I said gently caress it and tossed the whole thing in there, then scraped it off once the crust had formed slightly. Oh well, I'm sure the 1/4" will heat up quicker than my stone, and I'll just have to wait.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Hmm, let me just see how much shipping is...

:suicide:

SifuToast
Oct 10, 2003

Bring on the Whores!!

angor posted:

To be fair, you are shipping 25lbs of steel 7381 miles

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Oh yeah, I understand that, but....drat.

I'm going to continue looking locally here. Worst case scenario, I'll order one when I'm in the US in May and just lug it back with me. I wonder if I can take it as a carry on? :q:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yep, $55 here. Too much for post christmas brokes. When does the coupon expire?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Laminator posted:

I see. Will there be any appreciable difference between the A1011 CS Type B and A36 for use as a hot surface to cook pizza? I can't imagine there would be much, I'm not planning on welding or building a pizza bridge.

I was basing my advice on this earlier post:

SifuToast posted:

As I said before I'm not a metallurgist or chemist, so I couldn't say for sure, however I do know that others used the same material.

I attempted to google the MSDS for our Commercial (A1011 CS Type B) steel and found this reddit link http://www.reddit.com/r/AskCulinary/comments/17enby/is_a36_steel_food_safe_and_can_it_be_seasoned/

Wherein, they talk about using A36 which is our structural steel. We reject material for scale, so you wouldn't be getting scrap material, the person in that link was. Funny enough, they also mention that they'd use 1/4 if they had to do it again.

When we produced these for a customer in the past, we used A1011 CS.

I know absolutely nothing about steel, but I gather they're the same or very similar: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=277269

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

Croatoan posted:

Yep, $55 here. Too much for post christmas brokes. When does the coupon expire?

The coupon doesn't have a expiration right now, we will likely to continue to run the promo while we are still getting traffic.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Got mine today. The steel looks pretty clean (minimal mill scale). Did a bit of washing before oiling it, and most of the residue came off. There was a little that I couldn't get off but it should burn off during seasoning. Just loaded it into the oven to begin seasoning. I'm glad I went with the 1/4" plate. I feel like 3/8" or 1/2" would be pretty awkward to move around the kitchen. I will try to take some pics when I use it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Nohearum posted:

Got mine today. The steel looks pretty clean (minimal mill scale). Did a bit of washing before oiling it, and most of the residue came off. There was a little that I couldn't get off but it should burn off during seasoning. Just loaded it into the oven to begin seasoning. I'm glad I went with the 1/4" plate. I feel like 3/8" or 1/2" would be pretty awkward to move around the kitchen. I will try to take some pics when I use it.

Cool, thanks for the update-sounds like it shipped really quick!

When you post an update, would you mind posting what you bought (oiled/pickled whatever), along with a link to the file they used to create it? Just so those of us that like it can make sure we're getting the right thing?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

angor posted:

:shepspends:

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

nwin posted:

Cool, thanks for the update-sounds like it shipped really quick!

When you post an update, would you mind posting what you bought (oiled/pickled whatever), along with a link to the file they used to create it? Just so those of us that like it can make sure we're getting the right thing?

Here's a pic of it after an hour seasoning. Still too hot to take out of the oven, so the lighting isn't that great.

I used the basic template that Gravity84 posted a few pages back (no logo). The material was black structural (A36). I wouldn't bother with the pickling process as the stock finish is pretty good.

Nohearum fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 8, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Perfect. That looks better than what I made locally

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
More pizza notes as I learn to make this poo poo

After 5 minutes of cooking pizza the steel lost about 30 degrees, from 497 to 470.

My crust was a little light despite being crunchy. I think I dusted too much semolina and it acted as a buffer.

Also I think rolling it thinner would have benefited the crust as well. Enough dough for 4 more pizza tests, almost there!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 8, 2014

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Is there any risk of buckling or cracking when it's heated unevenly? I'm thinking in particular of heating it on a gas burner, where the center would be significantly hotter than the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I've already done that to cook naan. No buckling or warping, it's too ridiculously thick to warp. No problems other than it getting hot enough to start a fire if you have any crumbs under your burners. Also at that heat the seasoning might come off where it makes direct contact with the fire, but just rub some more oil on it, problem solved.

• Locked thread