Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Saint Michael didn't so much as get his eyebrows singed. :smugbert:

Oh, thats good then. Nobody likes having their eyebrows singed.
Guessing Michael was something of an "always right" type of a guy then?

edit: Of course, this ends up on the next page.

scarycave fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's For Better or For Worse, often referred to as foob around here (a cross between a fool and boob) because Lynn Johnstone is the whitest person in history.

edit: I just moved and I dreamed that I opened the paper (I obviously don't subscribe to a paper) and was delighted to find three full pages of strips. How odd.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The ballad of Saint Michael, He Who Can Do No Wrong was followed in the earliest FBOFW threads/megathreads, which I've recently started rereading. Sadly, those threads suffer from three issues: first, you need to pay for archives; second, about 90% of the images in the threads are now broken; and finally, almost nobody bothered to post images anyway or even link to the strip in question, because humans are a fallible lot.

FBOFW is now in reruns, which is why the art style of the "some things aren't worth dying for" strip seems so different from those of the "current" strips. For a year or so of the reruns, Lynn used to "refresh" strips and add in occasional new ones, but I think the syndicate told her to knock it off. The strips may still be running in altered form - with dates changed and seatbelts added to the in-car scenes - but I don't know and it would be embarrassing to look it up. I used to think I liked FBOFW, but then I started actually reading it on a regular basis and changed my mind. It's a lot like Rose is Rose in that respect: familiarity breeds disgust.

Also, I put some effort into the OP and am a little saddened to find that apparently it didn't meet anyone else's requirements.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Also, I put some effort into the OP and am a little saddened to find that apparently it didn't meet anyone else's requirements.

What? I thought it was great and said thanks. :glomp: You did a great job.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Thanks. I'm bein' oversensitive 'cause of new years or something.

So, I post classics like Quincy and The Little King. Sometimes, though, vintage comics are terrible!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The last one is at least a pretty good :iceburn: on the boss if you read it right. I especially like the elevator operator peeking in on the left over there.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Few know that "Mad Men" started out as a comic strip.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I actually looked at my newspaper's comics today and noticed that at some point they started printing Wumo. And then I was sad.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Well, since we apparently gave up on posting it in the last thread, I think I'll try to start posting

Rex Morgan, M.D.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Urban Wizard posted:

Well, since we apparently gave up on posting it in the last thread, I think I'll try to start posting

Rex Morgan, M.D.

Thank god, I can't wait to see the thrilling conclusion to "demon child slowly destroys its babysitter in an attempt to steal away her boyfriend".

Also those are some rockin' muttonchops in the first panel. Hot drat.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Blhue posted:

I actually looked at my newspaper's comics today and noticed that at some point they started printing Wumo. And then I was sad.

My local paper replaced Get Fuzzy with that one and people lost their poo poo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Junk I have done.
God drat, Nancy may be a horrible strip, but it makes good edit fodder.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Blhue posted:

Wumo

" More foam! Shake dat rear end! Scrub damnit! Scrub! "

Wumo is poo poo, also norwegian, we don't post it, nor discuss it.
If anyone starts posting it, I'll hold the thread hostage with Pondus.

Nemi

Nemi is however not poo poo, also norwegian.
BlankIsBeautiful tends to post it whenever s/he can, alongside quite a few other comics.

Moomin
Story 11: Moomin and the Martians.

Moomin is a thread treasure, hell, a treasure in general.
It's been poster irregularly by myself and some other posters, but now that I'm home and we're in a new thread, I suppose I should try to scan some more of it.

e: VVV I'm guessing the quote " Christmas lasts until Easter." isn't that common outside of Scandinavia, huh. :v:

SubNat fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 1, 2014

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Oh gently caress, Moomin for the new year, and I thought Christmas had ended!

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
I'll put up a summary later, but for now...

Piranha Club

:toot:

Dick Tracy

What did you expect, Kadaver? It's not like Tracy has ever paid any attention to basic gun safety.

Judge Parker

The Volkswagen people must not have paid up, so the Judge tries another product placement angle.

9 Chickweed Lane

At last, we get to see the story ideas that were too terrible to make the cut during the original run.

Oh, there has been a huge mix-up. Those tags belong to Billy from the 'Family Circus'.

Pibgorn

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell is up with that woman's face? Is her name Lucy?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Okay, now I can put up proper summaries.

Thorn (July 22 and 26, 1983)
Okay, so you know Bone by Jeff Smith? Well, before all of that, when he was a college student at Ohio Student University, he drew a (semi) daily strip for its student paper, The Lantern, called Thorn, which ran 1982 to 1985. It's basically a primitive version of Bone and a lot of the gags and story elements got recycled in the comic books.

There are also differences from the comic book version. Jeff Smith himself makes appearances as a character, and it's also pretty darn preachy at times, trying to be Pogo. However, the artwork does notably improve, especially by the end.

It's generally story-heavy, but the current strips ran during the summer, when most student went back home, so it's pretty much standalone gags for now.

Nina's Adventures (October 29, 1993)
This strip was drawn by Nina Paley, who is nowadays famous for her independent animated film Sita Sings the Blues. . It's basically a autobiographical strip, mostly focusing on her crappy love life and other going-ons. Nina's a bit of a nutcase, holding insane opinions that no normal person holds. It's also artistically well-done, which is why I'm posting them.

The strip ran in Santa Cruz Comic News and other alt-weekly papers during the 1980s and 1990s. She temporarily put it on hiatus in 1997-1998 so she could focus on her syndicated strip Fluff, which I posted the entirety of in the 2013 thread. She restarted it in 1999, but due to the lack of interest from editors this revival was short-lived. She started doing animation with Flash, creating numerous short films, as well as her aforementioned "Sita". Currently she's an anti-copyright activist, having been screwed by them due to her using copyrighted music in "Sita" (she thought they were in public domain).

I won't lie, I side with Nina in this cartoon. That's pretty much what I want to do.

Lucky Cow (February 1, 2004)
"Lucky Cow" was drawn by Mark Pett, who also did a strip called "Mr. Lowe" in 1999-2000. It follows a fictional fast-food restaurant and their going-ons. The central characters are Gary (the manager), Claire (Gary's daughter, who absolutely hates working at the restaurant and doesn't keep it a secret), Elvin (assistant manager, basically a comic strip version of Hermes from "Futurama"), Leticia (worker; Claire's friend and a vegetarian), and Neil (another worker, incredibly naive. Gets bullied in school a lot).

The strip initially focused on Claire, but later on Neil pretty much takes over as the breakout character. "Lucky Cow" ran 2003 to 2008.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil ran from January 2012 to December 2013. It's a modern strip about kids these days and their video games and LARPing and cheap Chinese toys. Gil's parents are divorced so he lives with his mom and visits his deadbeat dad on alternate weekends.

Retail follows a bunch of grade schoolers and their playground popularity contests. Much like real life, Retail has a knack for bringing out the worst in everyone who reads or is otherwise exposed to it.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog depicts the dystopian alternate universe of 10-year-old Skip Smalls who was abandoned by his parents in an isolated exurb to be raised by robots. Despite that super sweet premise, life is remarkably uneventful.

Dustin was created by distilling the essence of baby boomer smugness and the banality of the American upper-middle class. The namesake character, Dustin, is a 23-year-old college graduate working a string of low-paying temp jobs so naturally he is a total failure in life who everyone shits on constantly. It actually used to be considerably worse but we try to forget about it.

Bill Holbrook makes three comic strips a day: On the Fastrack, Safe Havens, and the webcomic Kevin and Kell. On the whole they're pretty light-hearted with progressive overtones and also batshit insane.

On the Fastrack follows geeky goth girl Dethany Dendrobia and the staff of the computer security corporation Fastrack Inc. It's a mashup of modern nerd culture trends and technology written by someone with a superficial understanding of both.

Safe Havens stars 26-year-old PhD prodigy extraordinaire Samantha Argus and her friends who all have sweet jobs or super powers. Also her mom is the governor. All in all life is pretty boss.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 1, 2014

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I'm the one who inflicts Scary Gary on everyone.

GoComics posted:

Mark Buford's Scary Gary presents an all-too-common problem: vampires in the suburbs. But this vampire isn't out for blood; Gary has turned over a new leaf. Hanging up his cape for good, Gary takes up residence in a quiet community, dragging his less-than-thrilled assistant, Leopold, with him. While Gary embraces the serenity of suburban life, Leopold is always cooking up one plan or another to terrorize the neighborhood. Scary Gary is syndicated by Creators Syndicate.

Leopold's parents look like fifties clipart:

A visit home:

Beatrice the creepy little girl has a crush on Leopold:

Leopold briefly dated The Fifty-Foot Woman; it was not an amicable split.

Travis is a head in a jar, kept captive by Leopold for experiments. Frankly, Travis freaks me out a little.

January 1 2014 strip :toot:

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 1, 2014

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Where might we get all of these comics for posting? Well, there's a variety of sources, but the one that I use is called GoComics. They have a large number of syndicated comic strips, and while their collections of older strips may have a few gaps here and there, it's still quite a useful resource.

Let's take stock of which comics they've seen fit to run this year, skipping over those comics which already have people to post them, shall we?

First, we have 2 Cows And A Chicken, which is one of several knock-offs of The Far Side.

Then there's 9 To 5, specializing (probably) in occupational laffs!

Adam @ Home could have something to do with a stay-at-home father in this crazy, mixed-up technological world of today!

Agent Gates is... a parody of Downton Abbey? "An added perk: there's steampunk involved."

Agnes seems to come from the same vein of material as Crock, Miss Peach, and Broom Hilda.

Alley Oop has dinosaurs and cavemen. Why does nobody post this one?

Andy Capp is the continuing saga of a man in the debilitating grip of alcoholism, and his abusive domestic environment.

Angry Little Girls is "a cute but snarky weekly comic strip about life as a girl."

Animal Crackers is what you would get if Frank And Ernest was set in a zoo, I guess.

Sometimes people post Annie, sometimes they don't. No one really objects either way.

The Argyle Sweater is like The Bus, but with sweaters. Sorry, I'm lying.

Ask Shagg follows in the foot-steps of those comics where you write in a letter, and it never gets printed, but someone else's does.

Aunty Acid is, sadly, not a companion comic strip to psychedelic heavy rockers Uncle Acid. It's about how a continued existence inevitably leads to tragedy and/or suffering.

Those are the comics from the numerical and 'A' section, but don't worry, there's so many more! That's just part of the magic of comics! :getin: :wotwot:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

scarycave posted:

I have no idea what this comic is.
Did the husband make it out ok? :ohdear:

Oh yeah, hubbie dear made it out ok.

The lovable family dog? not so much. Oh, he didn't die in the fire, he died saving a little girl from drowning. So..that's better, maybe...:smith:

EDIT: Say, speaking of the thread title's namesake, did anyone ever hear back from the birthday wishes that were sent out to Morrie back at the beginning of the month-ish?

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 1, 2014

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Those are the comics from the numerical and 'A' section, but don't worry, there's so many more! That's just part of the magic of comics!

Please don't post every single comic the syndicates run. Just... don't.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Midnight Moth posted:

Terrible comics
MM forgot to mention: All of these comic strips are terrible, completely and utterly terrible.

Edit: Darthemed I posted Alley Oop for about two weeks, it got mired down in poor story telling and a Sunday recap. Unlike the award winning Dick Tracy, it didn't make the jump to modern times as good.

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 1, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

MM forgot to mention: All of these comic strips are terrible, completely and utterly terrible.

Gil was alright. The rest are pretty bad, though.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Turns out you picked a good time to pick up Rex Morgan, Urban Wizard! There's a new artist since Monday: Nolan's retiring, and Beatty has picked up the the job of inking a milquetoast general practitioner. Here's a blog post he made about it.

Beatty will continue drawing the Sunday Phantoms.

Mark Trail: any excuse for me to use the word "apiary."

Apartment 3G: I think the caption is being presumptuous calling them "friends."

Juliet Jones: modern apartments often lack a dedicated space for your legendary pitchers.

You'll have to excuse me now; as a result of that last pun I'm being bludgeoned with a rowing oar.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 1, 2014

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Turns out you picked a good time to pick up Rex Morgan, Urban Wizard! There's a new artist since Monday: Nolan's retiring, and Beatty has picked up the the job of inking a milquetoast general practitioner. Here's a blog post he made about it

Well, that is certainly interesting!

Rex Morgan, M.D.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a collection of goofy faces from last year.

Edit: Nemi makes the best faces.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 1, 2014

iS!
May 23, 2003
Almost An Ambigram
I'm only a very occasional presence in this thread (often due to being a few pages behind), with an edit or comment every once in a while. But I wanted to get in early to remind everyone who needs reminding that the creator of "Funky Winkerbean" is Tom Batiuk, with the I before the U.

(I'd add that Dick Locher doesn't have an N in his last name, but his name comes up a lot less since his retirement.)

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

The house belongs to Big Brad Wolf. He entered through a window because he lost his door key.

Slylock Fox is a puzzle and activity strip starring super sleuth Slylock Fox and deadweight sidekick Max Mouse and their tireless crusade for justice against raccoons, scientific advancement and honest entrepreneurship. Also arbitrating in minor civil disputes between the same handful of parties for the nth time.

Moose and Molly is a straight 1960s gag comic capturing the good old days of American cultural homogeneity when people still talked to their neighbors and raided their fridges and stuff.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 1, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove started in 2002, follows the life of titular character, Tina. A waitress at a restaurant of indeterminate type. Along with her boyfriend, Gus, coworkers Suzanne & Monica, owner/boss Rob, and Carlos, the chef. It's sorta-realistic in it's depiction of working in the restaurant industry, but in a comic way obviously. To many times have I seen similar things. :gonk:

Family Circus is a zombie strip by Jeffy Keane, the current artist and author. Created by father Billy in 1960. It started out interesting, but has become preachy and saccharine.

Rose is Rose by Pat Brady, started in 1984. It follows the life of Rose & Jimbo Gumbo, their son, Pasquale, and pet Siamese, Peekaboo. This one is even more saccharine than Family Circus, rainbows and sunshine vomit a prevalent feature. Cousin Clem, a greedy little poo poo, is also regularly featured. And Pasquale's guardian angel. So it's kinda preachy too.

I started posting it because it was something I could only read when visiting my grandparents.

One Big Happy :911: 1988, by artist & author Rick Detorie. A good children comic that's actually realistic.

Mother Goose & Grimm started by Mike Peters in 1984, also featured in the Political Cartoons thread for his editorial strips. Aside from the titular Mother Goose & Grimm, we have Ralph the Terrier, and Atilla the Cat.

Foob ran from September, 1979, through August 31, 2008. Lynn Johnston then went on hiatus until July 11, 2010, with the strip basically starting over as re-runs. Johnston used to change some of the art, or add new strips, but it's just been in re-runs for at least a year since her syndicate essentially told her "stop changing stuff and keep collecting your royalties."

It also spawned a smilie I can't find.

Compu-Toon just...is. To quote Wikipedia
[qoute]Compu-toon is a comic strip by Charles Boyce. Compu-toon was launched in 1994 through Tribune Media Services. At its height, the comic strip ran in about 150 newspapers worldwide from 1994 to 1997 in print form.[/quote]
Boyce rarely makes sense. And when he does, the thread tends to :psyduck: over it. Sometimes he's even funny!

Bizarro has been running since 1985, by Dan Piraro. It's hit or miss, but usually decent at least. And it can go way off entirely and be racist out of nowhere.

Dilbert is Dilbert, created by artist Scott Adams. It can be hit or miss, much better if Wally is involved. It also spawned one of the greatest edits of internet history, the very :nws::nms: Dilbert Hole

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 1, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

Bizarro has been running since 1985, by Dan Piraro. It's hit or miss, but usually decent at least. And it can go way off entirely and be racist out of nowhere.

Dilbert is Dilbert, created by artist Scott Adams. It can be hit or miss, much better if Wally is involved. It also spawned one of the greatest edits of internet history, the very :nws::nms: Dilbert Hole

And finally, we have the alt-weekly comic, Red Meat. Started in 1989 by Max Cannon. It's like Dinosaur Comic, or Married to the Sea, in that it uses stock clipart, very rarely adding new bits. It's more surrealist humor like Bizarro, or thread favorite/loathed Zippy the Pinhead.

This one I started posting sometime last year I think because it's in one of my local alt-weekly papers.
Huh, Dilbert sure has changed recently.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
9 Chickweed Lane

Um, Happy New Year, I guess.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our stories so far...

In Peanuts, Linus is getting a measles shot. Jenny McCarthy hadn't been born yet when this was written, and thus could not be consulted. (January 4, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean set a plate for a soldier who's apparently decided she'd rather not spend leave time with her family.

Popeye is dealing with an old family spectre.

Rip Haywire is now a lantern-jawed small town sheriff, since the old one was too corruptible (and too easy to punch, which is how power transfers take place in this strip).

Pogo is running for president again, whether he knows it yet or not, but it looks like the bats are developing their own agenda. (January 4, 1956)

Out Our Way doesn't have a story line, but boy, is that one ugly mugger. (February 29 and March 1, 1924)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 1, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

Huh, Dilbert sure has changed recently.

I'll fix it when I get home, my bad! Phone posting is awkward.
e - and fixed!

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 1, 2014

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Outbursts of Everett True by A.D. Condo.

Most Everett True strips follow a simple formula: in panel 1, the title character experiences some annoyance that the typical middle-class white American city-dweller of the early 20th century might commonly see, and in panel 2 he beats the poo poo out of that annoyance. It's surprisingly charming and fairly progressive for its day.

January 22 & 23, 1918

In the second strip, Everett's outraged at the men throwing rice because, at the time, the US was involved in World War I, and, while there was no official rationing, the US Food Administration, led by future president Herbert Hoover, encouraged voluntary rationing of food, so Condo considered wasting food to be deeply unpatriotic.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Tracy really takes his year-to date-body counts seriously, doesn't he?

Judge Parker

Pibgorn

Well, it was a happy New Year until this was posted.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I post Bloom County and Calvin And Hobbes. Since they ran in the same time period (with the first starting a few years before the latter), I post their respective comics from the same day in history. With both of them, we're beginning the year 1987.

Bloom County, by this point in its run, is basically centered around the life of a penguin named Opus, and the events in the lives of his friends and acquaintances in the titular locale. We may occasionally jump to British royalty, Madonna, Michael Jackson, or other notable icons of the 1980s, as Bloom County is very much a product of its time. It tends to throw in some topical references, which I try to point out and explain, though I don't always catch all of them; if you spot something I missed, please chime in!

Of course, at other times, no explanation is needed. I'll still make a comment, as it's become a habit by now.

Calvin And Hobbes is much less topical, and between that and the quality of the strip, I feel that it's better to post it without dropping in cheesy commentary. However, I'm always very happy to see people comment on Calvin And Hobbes, as it is probably my favorite comic strip of all time.

For both strips, I'll be doing a large post of their Sunday installments in roughly a week and a half, once I get back to my scanner.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

yesssss the creeps moved in with Hi and Lois

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I like "Retail".

I'm being sincere. Not sarcastic in any way.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm started by Mike Peters in 1984, also featured in the Political Cartoons thread for his editorial strips. Aside from the titular Mother Goose & Grimm, we have Ralph the Terrier, and Atilla the Cat.

There was also a short-lived Saturday Morning cartoon written by Mark Evanier that had a pretty awesome theme song.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 1, 2014

• Locked thread