Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Does anyone on the right understand what (/how little) the Affordable Care Act actually does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Everyone says don't touch the poop, however, I disagree. Touch it if you want and if you know you can be funny. I do wanna warn you, you probably won't be funny.
- This is actually funny
- A funny person
- Not a funny person

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dolash posted:

Horsey always struck me as a great window into the average American liberal Democrat voter.
I wonder who would be a great window into the average LF radical. Hmm.

Hmm.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Political cartoons from Russo-Japanese war of 1904. Mostly Russian, because I find it easier to search Russian sources, and those aren't that concerned with anything Japanese.

The Russian side alternates between Truth, Justice, and the Orthodox Way:

"Our women and their 'society ladies'".

and Yes, we are Scythians! we are a great big bearded barbaric simple folk that will carelessly dispatch the slant-eyed invader:

As well as their fancy Western allies:

Who are unwilling to lend the struggling Japanese further war funds:

(This one features a torturous pun along the line of "Attack on Port Arthur the wallet")

The Japanese have a great deal of simple "our valiant soldiers graciously accept the cowardly surrender of the dishonorable foe" stuff:

There is, however, this (the first thing I posted in a political cartoon thread:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/gXz1djw.jpg:nws:

I'm sure these would be hilarious if I could read them:

International cartoons on the subject:

(Plucky little Srulik)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Where did you find these?
A fascinating place called "The World Wide Web". It's kinda underground, you've probably never heard of it.

Kurtofan posted:

Love these cartoons of Russia being all :smug: about Japan, when they got their rear end handed to them.
The spelling is Old Russian in a tiny font, so I didn't bother deciphering / translating it, but a great deal of it is "hey, you know that battle in which history records the Japanese kicking our rear end? Totally won by the Russians!".

(I can't even think of a single naval engagement Russia won in that one, yet there's a bunch of cartoons singing praises to the navy)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 23, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

zoux posted:

Cool post

Here's a question. I see that the Russian cartoons here are using John Bull and Uncle Sam as national personifications. So I wonder, is that a standardized thing across countries' political cartoons? Like we use the bear for Russia and the dragon for China, do Chinese cartoonists use the dragon as a personification of China as well?

Also does that giant Russian national personification dude have a name?
His name is Boris.

Seriously though, the personification you see in the first few cartoons - The Motherland - is the right one. Nowdays, she seems to be going the way of Columbia and being replaced by a bear. The bear remains nameless.

I actually thought that Uncle Sam came about during WWI, what with the posters.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Welcome to the political cartoons thread. Enjoy your stay.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

I lost count of how many panels in the Rall saga had no word boxes, but lo: ONE page so far is totally free of them.

loving hell, Rall.
Why the poo poo do you even care about this? Of all things to take issue with, why does this non-problem bother you enough to keep track of it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Goddamnit. I know it's Catalino, so he probably thinks he put in enough work by actually drawing tracing something new, but how hard would it be to put in some bees with a label slapped on them and make some sort of message? And if you're dispensing with the single blue balloon (which is kinda the point), why aren't they blue, white and red - you know, the reverse KGB of the Russian flag?

(Also, if you're doing a "Winnie the Pooh in Russia" cartoon, you really should be using the superior far more relevant Russian version)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

Don't forget this classic, dated June 2007. Any day now guys, for realsies.

I guess the Palestinians have finally destroyed the Zionist entity and merged with Jordan. If only we had listened to the warnings of public domain cartoons.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Post 9-11 User posted:

Oh ahha, my pearls, you can't call out fake geek girl models (seriously, who doesn't understand what's really being exploited?)
I don't.
Please tell me more about "fake geek girls" and how they're exploiting you, forums poster Post 911 User.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

(I promise I'm not going to do this every time he uploads something.)
Do. I'd really appreciate it if more cartoons were accompanied with whatever interesting notes the cartoonist had (provided they were actually interesting).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The system could also be good for America.

Labels: government, Israel, Politics, Presidency, President

Take a moment to guess how many of the "President" or "Presidency" cartoons are dealing with the Israeli institution.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

JaggerMcDagger posted:

You are a gently caress.
What the poo poo.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Black people are dumb. A Mike Lester Cartoon.
Cue "how hurricanes really work"?

Edit - A video link was here. It's gone now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Somfin posted:

Bennett!

I like it.
Blah blah blah renewable energy is just a fable blah blah blah a bad cartoon blah blah blah our feelings about Bennet.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

They don't even cherry-pick the worst quotes. Indian Joe aside, Roughing It just goes right into "loving poorssavages, scavengers tramps and thieves".

The only reason that isn't quoted is probably because no one ever read Roughing It.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Starving Wolf posted:

I've lived in Israel for the past 20 years and I'm literally learning that Shavuot is related to cheese at all right now from this thread.
Ditto. Except I grew up here.

And I went shopping today and didn't see a single cheese thing. :shrug:

Edit - Then again, had you asked me yesterday whether my high-school biology courses included evolution, I'd go "yeah, probably?"*

* Something we're only getting around to including on the curriculum now, apparently.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 3, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

I just found out about that yesterday. I guess everything I learned about Evolution I learned from following Evolution vs Creationism debates online. I wonder how much I really know about the subject.
I know exactly where I learned it - I'd literally sit in the school library and read encyclopedias. Explains a great deal about my personality.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The US should obviously take an example from Israel. We would never negotiate with terrorists, or exchange captured terrorists for our men.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jesus gently caress.

We exchanged 400 terrorists for a literal drug dealer. And that was still the right decision, because the alternative is having your people know you don't actually give a poo poo as to whether they live or die or rot in a hole until the end of time.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 4, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

Your example appears to involve an Israeli colonel?
Yes. It's a thing I tend to do. When the question is "here is a new (or pretend-new) conundrum that's facing us", I go to "well, here's how ostensibly capable people have been solving the issue for the past few decades".

Of course, there's an problem here - the issue was solved in a country that's not the United States (yes, those exist) and therefore cannot possibly be in any way relevant. See also: Healthcare, guns, etc etc.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

TGLT posted:

gently caress gently caress? gently caress gently caress.

Lemming posted:

poo poo!
Edit: gently caress!

VitalSigns posted:

gently caress? gently caress.
Mike Lester, ladies and gentlemen.

The gently caress.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

zoux posted:

Yes let's all do the exact thing that led to the ban of DH discussion in the first place.
You mean... discuss DH?

(Someone edit that "I appreciate your right not to stand up for the pledge of allegiance" cartoon)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Pretty funny to see all those cartoons 100 years after WWI started, a war in which mutineers and deserters were summarily executed by their own armies.
What's do you think is so special about WWI?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Whenever I think "Israel", I always think "an island of prosperity, creativity, and calm". Yup. Absolutely. 100%.
*Waits for the punchline*
*Is reduced to skeletonized remains in a comic manner*

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Blah blah blah Frankenstein just misunderstood blah blah blah good cartoon.

steinrokkan posted:

I can't un-AGC this one.
That's not Ramirez - so you don't have to.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

What's a good max size for a post in this thread, in terms of number of images?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Acid Haze posted:

makes sense is a fantasy scenario where you can pick and choose the exact preconditions of Soviet involvement in the war. This is without mentioning that with no US involvement in the pacific, Russia would have had to fight on a second front against the largest maritime and territorial empire in the history of mankind with almost no navy to speak of. Oh yeah, and the Japanese Empire also far outclassed the Soviets in terms of air power as well, and would have been able to conduct air strikes at will inside Soviet territory after their air forces were inevitably eradicated.

I have issues with the notion that Land Lease was integral to Soviet survival, but it's a viewpoint that has a right to exist.

But this is the first time I've heard "remember those guys the Soviet Union kept destroying over and over and over, like easily disposable mooks in an action movie? Imagine how much trouble they could be if the US of A wasn't around to nuke their rear end". That's just... poignantly absurd and detached from reality.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I'm breaking up an intended civil war mega-post into more manageable sections. This one is titled Read a Book!

Or rather, "Learn to read". Literacy was a huge part of the Soviet political program, for a variety of reasons.

"An illiterate man is blind as he walks the path of life"

This is nicely poetic: "From darkness to light, from battle to book, from sorrow to happiness".

"Long live the sun!"

This is one of the earliest Soviet memes that's still around in some form: "We are not slaves, slaves we are not / slaves are mute, we are neither slaves nor masters", followed by a syllable / rap battle breakdown.

"We bring liberty to the world". I'll confess I can't quite follow this one.

What a difference literacy makes.

Once you're done with your book, plant a forest. Then read a book in it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Some civil war uniforms - just for an image to match the various caricatures. I'll be quite impressed if someone can recognize at least half the uniforms involved (that war was really quite the clusterfuck)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Get ready for a massive image influx. The civil war:
vs
(History IS written by the winners. You may have seen the second poster, but the first is all kinds of obscure, even though it's the exact same image)

First of all, the most awesome St George Trotsky destroying the serpent of counter-revolution:

The response is naturally enough "We're the serpents? Oh no no, my Bolshevik friends, I believe you'll find that it's YOU who are the serpents:"

Furthermore, the people of Russia should be like like the great Bogatyrs of old and wipe this stain off the Empire

Oh yeah? Well our knight isn't even a Bogatyr, but a proper worker (I'm reasonably sure the white figure represents the Whites, while the foreign chap represents the interventionist forces)

Quaint but proud ethnic minorities, join our side!

(Really, the Samoyed's warranted extensive propaganda?)

Cossacks, join the Reds:

Cossack, you have only one way forward: :goleft:

Meanwhile Makhno and co are like "screw you guys, we'll take on both sides and organize our own anarcho-communist society:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

This is the enemy of the hour: despise him. (Once again, the civil war was such a huge clusterfuck with a mess of factions rather than a united enemy front)

Denikin promises to whip and hang every worker, just like Jackson before him.

Only the Red army will give you bread / defeat Denkin

Wrangel is already nicknamed "the Black Baron", so you don't have to work hard to come up with the appropriate caricature direction.

Still, remember that every enemy is supported by the hated foreigners / capitalists / priests.

Err... ditto The Admiral, we guess.

Also, remember that the foreign powers work to destroy us:

They offer us peace, but give the Polacks guns

The Constituent Assembly is supported by the bloody foreigners

Joseph Jacque Joffre, the man with the Frenchest goddamn name until Jaques Chirac is apparently helping the Poles? His Wikipedia article mentions nothing of the sort, and that's about as much effort as I'm willing to put into research.

Meanwhile on the white side:
"My Russian friends, hold on just a while longer against the Bolshevik scum while I strive to aid you"

So join the white army, for King and Country:

Or rather, join the Red Army, for a variety of good reasons:

"Learn to use the rifle as well as you use the scythe". Kind of shows where the whole Israeli peasant-soldier comes from (or maybe shares roots with)

The new Christmas, for some reason?

Only he who is willing to defend his freedom with a rifle deserves that freedom – so join the NRA… err… go defend the Polish front.

Out of the way, loving Polacks.

The deserters nightmare:

Defend Petrograd with your manly manly chests:

The (highly specific) wounded Red Army Soldier day:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

A rebuttal from the White Side:
Bolsheviks are German agents:

Trotsky and Lenin are Jewish Satan worshippers:

Moscow is almost free – "Let's escape to Siberia with our ill-gotten riches, comrade!" "Just try it!"

This is what life is like on the Red side:

It's actually the communists who exploit hard-working peasants by appointing fast-talking lazy drunks to rob them.

Communists blind the people and lead them to ruin

The Chinese (and Latvian) volunteers will kill the poo poo out of you

The Bolsheviks violate churches.

The Red side would like to counter that last point:

"Cannibals aren't people who eat people – it's people who refuse to convert church gold into food for the hungry" (citation needed):

Goddamit you assholes, what was so hard to understand about the last poster? We need money to feed people, and the churches have it. Simple.

Look, here are some hungry people who could really use some church gold:

Also, this is what things are like on the White side:

"The Whites burn down fields and homes as they retreat from the Red army"
Err… ditto the Polacks.

The provisional government executes peasants:

Denikin's "Liberators":

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 7, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

A reminder from the Red side on how the Tzars abused the people:

loving priests and rich men are assholes:

"These are the people who oppose the Soviets"

Crying on the grave of the counter-revolution (half these names didn't even warrant a cartoon of their own)

The Polish pans abuse the peasants:

Comrade Lenin has a fix for the world religion / capitalism problem:

The peoples court:

The stock market was messed up when news of the revolution was received, and that's great, we guess?

Remember how bad things used to be? Much better now (reverse Asay, if you will):

The people's rule in ancient Russia:

The Tzar's armies and the red army:

So use that righteous fury for the past / hope for the future to strike the bastards down:

"The ship of counter-revolution sinks against the unbreakable banks of our overtly-labored metaphore"

"Electrification vs counter-revolution"

And work together for a better future:

Elect workers rather than rich exploiters into the Soviet councils:

The Soviet Turnip is invincible:

Female demonstrations make world capitalism tremble:

You may think the Social Revolutionaries have some fine ideas, but they're just stooges for the same old capitalist / imperialist scum

A counterpoint to the White depictions of Lenin. There are a LOT of "grandpa Lenin" cartoons out there that aren't that relevant.

The Internazional (no, this doesn't get a tiny image tag. Behold in all its glory):

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 7, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Those suns are fantastic avatar material.
Alternate between the sun and the soldiers face.

There are a bunch of avatar level things here. I'm rather partial to "Andrey, put down the goddamn book and start working the machine gun. We're terribly sorry if this battle is boring you", and Trotsky's "B-baka Jesus, it's not like I like you or anything".

Paladinus posted:

I absolutely love the text on this one.

'Comrades Muslims! Under the green banner of the Prophet you conquered your steppes and your villages. Enemies of the people have taken your fields away from you. Now under the red banner of Workers and Peasants' revolution and under the star the army of all oppressed you must gather from East and from West, from South and from North. Saddle your horses and join regiments of military training programme.'
Aww, I thought you were translating the text at the bottom at first. I'd love to get a translation on some of those.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So... leaving aside the obvious "if a citizen thinks a law is unconstitutional blah blah blah", if the administration thinks a law is unconstitutional, it doesn't have to bother with the whole "defeat it in court" thing and can just freely ignore it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Typical Pubbie posted:

So if I'm part of the church, and Jesus is married to the church, does that make me gay married to Jesus?
While masturbating, please shift your gender identity to female and picture Jesus making sweet sweet love to you (not!gay)

^ Actual Christian (Children of God) doctrine.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

OldMemes posted:

The metaphor about the church being God (especially in the form of Jesus)'s bride is meant in a non-sexual manner. It's about waiting for Jesus to return as a bride would wait for her groom and to remain faithful (i.e., not worshiping other gods) - that they will be God's people.

There are some fringe movements and cults that have twisted that into being a sexual thing, but the actual passages mean in a pure love way, that God loves his people as much as two newly weds should - there's not meant to be a sexual element to it.
Bull. poo poo.

Representing god as a stern father or as Baby Jesus is meant to direct those familial feelings heavenwards. In the same vein, all that "bride of christ" "save yourself for Jesus" stuff is entirely about sublimating sexual feelings into religion. It's not literal temple prostitution, but it is absolutely about sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

A beret looks good if you're allowed to wear it properly - as flattened as possible, with one side pulled down. If your military has a fetish for making its soldiers look as stupid as possible, you'll wear it "symmetrically", which is absolutely terrible.

• Locked thread