Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
The entire "pajama boy" thing amuses me to no end because it's one of those things where the conservative media bubble has created a meme that makes no sense whatsoever to anyone not in it or more familiar with it than they should be. Muir is (apparently; it's hard to tell through the usual haze of Muirish incoherence) making it sound like liberals (:bahgawd:) tried to ruin flannels, when what really happened is that conservative pundits and conservative Facebook meme creators are trying to make it a stigma solely because of a vague association with Obama that no one in their right mind would give a poo poo about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

From the comments:

quote:

quote:

I contend Pajama Boy IS America circa 2013. As usual, we conservatives are too stuck in the past to know what's really cool these days.
Those kind of pajamas have, are not, and will not ever be cool in my opinion. I don't care if Ted Nugent, Peyton Manning, and Ted Cruz starts wearing them in public. I ain't.
Because if Ted Cruz is into something, it's definitely the epitome of cool. :cool:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

"You'll see! You'll miss having to get out a ladder to change bulbs! You'll regret saving money on electricity! :argh:"

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Internet Webguy posted:

One of these pee pee is not like the doo doo.
Fox News and CNN think they're serious business, but they're actually still places that people's butts go? I dunno. I got nothing.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

And don't forget Tinsley's response to Jon Stewart, or when the judge who sentenced him for DUI was up for election.
Since we're revisiting old favorites to kick off the new thread, I might as well take the opportunity:

The Daily Show's book of 100% satire included this, which pokes fun at political cartoons and :tinsley:'s lack of comedy chops:

Since some people didn't get the joke and thought that Tinsley had done the comic, in response he did a comic where he implied that Jon Stewart is a child molester for no reason whatsoever. He also accused Jon Steward of trying to trick people into thinking it was a real Mallard Fillmore comic, which requires utterly missing the point and flagrantly refusing to event attempt to put it into any kind of context.

Also a really weird, worrisome caricature.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

If you read the the comments on an article about Jon Stewart left by a right winger, they always say Jon LEIBOWITZ and get so drat smug about it.

I think they're using occult/fantasy rules, and are trying to invoke his true name to banish him.
There are people who just can't handle the idea that a person is in fact allowed to change their name (it's a huge pain in the rear end to actually do it, but still), and are also butthurt about Muhammad Ali. OTOH the "Jon LIEBOWITZ" types probably overlap with the Barack :supaburn:HUSSEIN:supaburn: Obama types, who seem to really need their special code words for people.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Trent posted:

Real men pay for their own medical care. Get a better job you deadbeat insurance-having poors.
If health care were priced in such a way as to be affordable to normal human beings, that would be a pretty reasonable thing to do, but the prices are basically for insurance companies and for people who don't have any other choice. If you yourself can somehow afford a 5-digit hospital bill... it'd still make more financial sense to use your insurance actually.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

pd187 posted:

Low in Atlanta is 8 degrees today and I just saw this on Facebook:

Bennett nooooooo :negative:
Where's global warming when you need it? Well, you could ask all the people living in areas that are pushing 70 degrees in early January (like me here in Northern California).

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Wasn't Gates' big criticism of Obama's war effort that he wasn't sufficiently enthusiastic about it? Which is hilarious in itself, considering we tried having the guy who was really enthusiastic about going to war in the Middle East and it didn't exactly work out all that great.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

News: The IRS was targeting conservative groups for extra investigations based on keywords!
Muir: This is a scandal! Impeach Obama now!
News: Oh, actually they did the same thing to liberal political groups as well.
Muir: I can't believe they targeted conservative groups!!!
News: And liberal groups too?
Muir: It's the most unbelievable scandal that Obama's IRS targeted HIS ENEMIES!
News: And the head IRS guy was a Bush appointee, and again, also liberal groups. It was wrong, but it wasn't specifically anti-conservative. Not that those types of political groups should necessarily be tax-free in the first place.
Muir: That Obama is a monster, targeting conservative groups with his IRS!!!!!!!

(My brain is a little too functional to be able to write Muir-ian dialogue, but you get the idea.)

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Vogon Poet posted:

January 21, 2013 (MLK Day)

Ah yes, the "Public employees should also get screwed over like we do! :argh:" maneuver.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

Not really, and Planned Parenthood, etc., perform more services than just abortion, including early breast cancer detection, pap smears, and......see, at this point, the McCoys just zone out and think blah blah icky girl parts.
Supposedly 97% of what Planned Parenthood does is stuff other than abortions. I don't know how they calculated that and such, but the part about them being a key source of low-cost reproductive health services for women is definitely true. A while back I read an article about a woman who tried to take on a conservative's challenge to get those services somewhere other than PP (I think it was in Texas?) and finding that if you cut out Planned Parenthood you're SOL for a lot of that stuff, especially if you don't have much money.

But in general we come back to the thing that while the basic premise of the pro-life position is at least understandable, the actual movement that pushes it is just fundamentally dishonest (like the thing where they pretend abortion clinics make lots of money) and has no coherent policy position.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Cuomo did phrase what he said kind of tactlessly, but here we have yet another thing where the right-wing media stripped something of all context and are running with their made-up version of it. "New York is a decidedly blue state, and while we've had great success working with moderate Republicans, extreme far-right Republicans who come are are pretty much wasting their time because New Yorkers aren't buying what they're selling" somehow turned into "Time to start the anti-conservative apartheid in New York!!!!"

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Is this going to be a thing now? Am I going to have to remind all my right wing friends and relatives of the time when Neil Cavuto interrupted his show on Fox News for half an hour to show live chopper cam footage of Paris Hilton being hauled off to jail? And that they couldn't even get loving Ann Coulter to shut up about Paris?
You know Lester was taking a shot specifically at MSNBC because liberals, and not at the news media in general, for which the likes of Fox News are not in any way an exception to the general shittiness.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

All the goddamn time we have conservatives calling Obama all kinds of things literally including saying he's the Antichrist. People do sometimes go too far in painting all conservatives with the same brush (and here I am admitting it, something I'm pretty sure Muir would never, ever do in the reverse), but there sure as hell are a lot of racists, sexists, and homophobes in the conservative movement, and there legitimately are right-wingers who are openly (if not very convincingly) clamoring to overthrow the government.

I know "Obama needs to stop blaming Bush!" has been an Official Republican Talking Point for a while, but it genuinely is hard to overstate how much things got hosed up during the Bush years. It's a telling sign of just how bad it was that even hardcore conservatives are quibbling that liberals are blaming Bush too much rather than objecting to blaming him at all.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Vogon Poet posted:

Add me to the list of people who found this funny, although moments after chuckling at it I realized Tinsley probably meant it as a genuine anti-atheist cartoon, which is just kind of sad.
The thing is that "atheists believe in nothing" is a lovely straw man thing that's popular among the kind of Christians who are really bothered at the idea of atheists existing. Tinsley may not even be aware of that (and not just because of a drunken haze or whatever :tinsley:), but intentionally or not he did kind of use a Ray Comfort talking point to make his joke. Without all of that it's just a dumb Garfield type mundane joke though, and certainly a step up for Tinsley's usual thing of making "jokes" that just barely work if you ignore reality in favor of GOP talking points and/or are really, really angry at pop culture.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Gee, I wonder why the mailman would be wearing body armor and stuff in an area where some trailer trash psychos have been constantly harassing every federal employee who comes near them? It was probably the mailman who got the short straw who had to do that route, and he got the armor himself because all the crazy stories about the place had him sure that he'd need it.

I genuinely can't tell if Ramirez thinks this is some kind of clever satire or if he's so dumb he actually believes that Obama said something like this. It's not if he's wrong, but how.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

MisterBadIdea posted:

Again, like half of the those seventy "armed agencies" keep around five officers to aid the Inspector General. To a section of the right-wing blogosphere, this means that the Library of Congress has drones ready to bomb our loyal Tea Party Patriots.
Also for the smaller agencies a big chunk of the ammo they got was for their single-digit number of armed employees to practice at the shooting range. The "mass purchase" was just a thing someone came up with to save money, and I'm pretty sure didn't actually represent an abnormal amount of ammo purchased overall.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Oh hey look, Tinsley completely bought the blatant lies about what Cuomo said and waited two weeks to parrot it. Shocking, right?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I like the "Politicizing the Justice Department". You know who else politicized the Justice Department? John F. Kennedy to force Southern fuckheads to allow black children access to public schools.
Also, Bush had an actual, 100% real scandal with the Department of Justice over politicized firings of U.S. attorneys, which among other things led to Alberto Gonzalez resigning as Attorney General. Sometimes I forget how terribad some of the stuff that came out of Bush's presidency really was.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

"How is this boat gonna get anywhere if you aren't doing triple shifts rowing it? What do you mean there are millions of other people who'll be happy to have a go at the oars for the other 16 hours a day???"

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Internet Webguy posted:

Last week:"Quit making a big deal about gay marriages!"
This week:"Quit making a big deal about the first openly gay NFL player!"
Why do you have to come out as gay? And why should it be such a big deal anyway?!

Sincerely,
Exactly the kind of person who helps make coming out into something kind of courageous when it shouldn't be a big deal.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

ThatPazuzu posted:

But the guy in V for Vendetta was sooo cool! I mean, I didn't read the comic book but he had knives and killed bad guys and got shot but didn't care and let everyone achieve anarchy libertarianism!

Also, the thing you're supposed to be remembering was a failed attempt so I'm not sure what he even means.
The great thing with V for Vendetta is that since it (kind of ham-fistedly) had the evil government be anti-gay, anti-Islam, pro-Christian, etc., at the time a bunch of conservatives were up in arms about it being more liberal Hollywood propaganda or whatever. (Meanwhile today there are quite a few real-life conservatives who tout how "America is a Christian nation," and have plainly said that they want to criminalize gayness and ban Islam.)

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Ah I see, so his opinion could be that sports stars should play the game and keep their personal lives to themselves, and the media should not publicize non-sports-related personal things about players. That might be a reasonable, consistent position to take.

For my part I didn't care about Tebow one way or the other (since I'm not into sports), but the vortex of Evangelical smugness and persecution complex around him was pretty spectacularly obnoxious, especially since all my football-watching friends were decidedly unimpressed with him as a football player.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Man, Jonathan Pollard is high on the list of "Things I wouldn't know about if not for some shithead being spectacularly wrong about it."

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"right after" = a year and a half later
Also "critical documentary" = blatant hit piece full of lies

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

MisterBadIdea posted:

If New York (City? State?) has passed a new gun law in the last 12 months I haven't heard it. I guess they might have. I gather Muir is saying that strict gun control leads to higher crime, using the examples of Chicago and Detroit as evidence.

As it turns out, though, two data points is not enough for statistical analysis. Who knew? The actual studies don't seem to show that gun control has any effect on crime one way or the other, but strict gun control does definitely lead to a decrease in gun deaths. So put those actual facts in your pipe and smoke it, Muir!

(Muir does not care.)
I seem to remember hearing that the big issue with guns in Chicago is that while there are tight gun laws in the city, they're surrounded on all sides by areas with much more lax gun laws, so that if you want to buy a gun there are literally gun shops a few steps outside the city limits. Meanwhile Detroit had massive white flight and the failures of the American automotive industry, and oddly enough a city full of poor, desperate people who weren't able to move away is going to have crime problems no matter what the gun laws are like.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

crowfeathers posted:

so ask yourself, is this better or worse than a ramirez arrow cartoon
Change the Obama symbol to a cross or American flag and "Voter ID" to "Gun Permit" and presto! instant lovely cartoon about conservatives. But then if he could understand that he wouldn't be the Snafu Guy.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

You can tell Benson is deeply influenced by Mike Ramirez.
You know, California has its issues to be sure (notably the drought, rampant gentrification, etc.), but I'm not really clear on what freedoms we're supposed to be losing here. Maybe the freedom to have a lovely car that pollutes a lot? I wasn't a fan of having to shell out for a new catalytic converter for my car, but on the other hand I do like breathing so I'll deal. Also the state government is getting the budget under control and the economy is doing better, so yeah.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, Tinsley, I mean look at how the War on Drugs and the War on Terror went. Oh, you're going after the "War on Poverty," aren't you?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

And since you mentioned it, one of the biologists that discovered the double-helix structure now spends his time being a racist, misogynist, and all-around unpleasant gently caress.
I've noticed lately that a lot of conservatives seem to like to name-drop, like when Bill Nye was debating Marsha Blackburn about climate change, Nye was talking about scientific principles and such and Blackburn kept bringing up specific individuals who happened to agree with her about something. Which is dumb for a lot of reasons, but one of them is that a person who's really smart about some things can be a total loving moron about others.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

"Obama should be shaking in his boots at the populist uprisings happening in places like Venezuela."
--A guy who supports policies that favor the rich

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Happy Monday! Let's see what Prick City is moving on to this week...

Oh come on
I like how he (inadvertently I assume) summed up pretty much everything Scott Adams brings to the table.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

OAquinas posted:

I leave you with this. You made me do it, you understand.

That is exactly what you think. I couldn't find that pic, but Muir has/had a table full of them. Lined up. Staring at him.
Whoever sculpted the model for those figures is apparently a far superior artist to Muir.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

"Hey look! It's that piece of poo poo who dishonestly edited a video to kill an organization that helps poor people! Can I get your autograph, you know in my book of autographs from people who are pieces of poo poo? Oh, and did Abbie Boudreau ever call you back? How did that go?"

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Pretty much? I mean, it's hard to overstate how much of a shitshow Bush's presidency was, and a significant part of the difficulties Obama has to deal with are directly the result of a consciously and deliberately obstructive right-wing movement, which Fox News epitomizes.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

They're going to keep on harping on this one, aren't they? What was that, a month ago that was announced and immediately purposefully misinterpreted?
I thought that for once facts had sort of penetrated the right-wing media's bubble and the job "losses" were people not having to work multiple jobs to pay for health insurance (which the pundits then started decrying as people being :airquote:lazy:airquote:). Did Glenn not get the memo? Or does he just not care?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

As soon as I saw that cartoon I thought, "I don't know what this is about, but it's probably safe to assume that Ramirez is wrong about it." I thought correctly.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Reminder that the giant ammo purchase by the federal government was basically because someone figured out that it would save money to make all of the usual purchases at once, and that the agencies that seem odd destinations for ammo are the ones that have like 10 armed guards who mostly used that ammo to practice at a firing range. But hey, let's just ignore those pesky facts and keep building up more conspiracy theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

I'm reminded of his brother's classic cartoon:

What does he mean "Going back"? Did we stop being racist when I wasn't looking?

• Locked thread