Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

consider yourself owned, atheists of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

:drat: Atheists gonna be feeling this one.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

...maybe this is going too far.

Never.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

"Whoops, I forgot to tell a joke!"

Seriously, I get what he's trying to say but it's just. Not. Funny. Like, even if I was a super hardcore Christian who looked down on atheists with disdain and pity it still wouldn't be funny. Goddammit Tinsley what the gently caress happened to to you in the past that SO ANNIHILATED YOUR SENSE OF loving HUMOR YOU ARREGHWSVXEUATQTASB

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

:drat: Atheists gonna be feeling this one.

Sometimes he tunes out and accidentally comes perilously close to funny. But then he wakes up to pull up, pull up, pull up, grabs the stick, hits the afterburners, and puts out some poo poo like this.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

My first interpretation was this is meant to be a satire of crazy religious people, by projecting their behavior onto a group of people who would absolutely never act like that to highlight its absurdity.

My second interpretation was that there was no attempt at social commentary at all, it's just a stupid ancient Borscht-Belt-style attempt at humor a la JRRose.

But none of these seemed repellent enough, so after twisting my brain, I came up with the possibility that Tinsley is making fun of atheists; that their so-called rationality is a facade, and that they are illogical enough that they take the lack of an insane miracle happening right this second as proof of their worldview. This seems to me like really a stretch, but the more that I look at that man's evilly snooty expression, the more I suspect that's the case.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Dude, it's just a joke. Tinsley tells them every once in a while.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I thought it was funny. :ohdear:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, I think it's a Garfield caliber joke. I think I'd have to try hard to get upset over that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I thought it was funny. :ohdear:
Well you're wrong and that is bad and you should feel bad! <:mad:>

Feel bad!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Emily actually sees some pretty tasty custard in her pastry. This is because Emily is the atheist in question. Chuck is the one who sees nothing in his pastry. Chuck could only afford a plain pastry because he donates a substantial amount of money to the church, to the financial detriment of his long suffering wife and children. What Chuck is taking his empty pastry as being a sign of is anyone's guess, Chuck is dumb and crazy.
An Excellent Cartoon.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Are Neanderthals known to be less intelligent than homo sapiens sapiens? Or is this an unscientific bullshit myth about a dead human species?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

colonel_korn posted:

(apparently his editor forced him to change "Ellen" to "Rupaul" in the version they actually published)
This is going back a bit, but I think the intended joke was specifically 'WOM(A)N WEAR PANTS(UITS)' rather than just a generic 'lesbians are HIDEOUS'. Still a Gay Abortion contender either way though.

Kurtofan posted:

Are Neanderthals known to be less intelligent than homo sapiens sapiens? Or is this an unscientific bullshit myth about a dead human species?
They had less developed tool use than modern humans, and there's a lot of controversy over whether or not they buried their dead (and the religious beliefs and culture that might entail). Either way they were still functionally intelligent enough to survive and spread across the northern hemisphere.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 4, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Kegluneq posted:

This is going back a bit, but I think the intended joke was specifically 'WOM(A)N WEAR PANTS(UITS)' rather than just a generic 'lesbians are HIDEOUS'. Still a Gay Abortion contender either way though.

It's Lester so no it is in fact the second one. Though he is pissed that women are allowed to wear pants as well.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

It's stormfront.org :colbert:

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I think people are afraid to even type it to find out. Fair enough, really. I don't need all my flights delayed from now until 2030.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Kurtofan posted:

The hairy slouched version of a neanderthal is an old image from over 100 years ago.

Now some say its actually very puzzling that they died out at all( read this from a popular science journal so Im not gonna object to Koqleq in any particular way)

edit: HUGE image.

54.4 crowns fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 4, 2014

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

pd187 posted:

It's stormfront.org :colbert:

oops that's what I get for doing an edit on my lunch break: typos of racist website addresses.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Oh God I laughed and don't know why.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

To call someone a Neanderthal is like calling them a dinosaur. It just means they're ultra conservative and stuck in the past.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I like the contrast between the Neanderthal beard stubble and the coiffed politician hair. :)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

I don't think the State on the Onion is that bad. I mean, I do not know if those Onion News Network shows are still on the air, but Kelly is still around, and the articles are still really funny.

I don't know, without Phil Hartman, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer won't be the same.

Anyway, new Bennett:

hmmm, I'm not sure if this is A Moses Cartoon, or A Charlton Heston Cartoon.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Kurtofan posted:

They did have a larger average intercranial space, at least in the specimens we've identified. However, that could have been a layer of fat or a thicker bone structure or whatever. Bigger brains? Possibly. More intelligent? Possibly. The two factors are not easily correlated past 1550cc.

54.4 crowns posted:

Now some say its actually very puzzling that they died out at all( read this from a popular science journal so Im not gonna object to Koqleq in any particular way)

Academic opinion is starting to trend that a combination of a change in climate, interbreeding / genetic assimiliation and a lack of a long tool-making culture may have thinned them to the point that Homo Sapiens swallowed their genome whole, in a matter of speaking. It wouldn't have been sudden, even by generational terms.

I like Neanderthals. I like the idea of having two distinct species of intelligent ape. While there would have been unending xenophobia so long as it existed, something inside me desperately wishes they hadn't disappeared. :(

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The broken bones posted:

consider yourself owned, atheists of the world

It may be posted a lot but it's pretty fitting for this comic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCL4dXUtblg

Edit: Oops, I should add the original cartoon.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 4, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Speaking of that Cheerios commercial, I have honestly never seen a single tweet or anything that actually opposes it. All I see are articles about the backlash. I've seenplenty of awful tweets and facebook posts about the Coke commercial, but never about that Cheerios one.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Tom Guycot posted:

I thought it was legit until you forgot to have her say "http-colon-backslash-backslash" first

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think they got it out of their system the last time and also after that MSNBC tweet they were on their best behavior.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Speaking of that Cheerios commercial, I have honestly never seen a single tweet or anything that actually opposes it. All I see are articles about the backlash. I've seenplenty of awful tweets and facebook posts about the Coke commercial, but never about that Cheerios one.

The Cheerios commercial was being called "The most controversial" by news outlets within minutes of it 'leaking' on to their official youtube channel. I think they may have been preparing for people to lose their poo poo over interracial kids, but were surprised when foreign languages turned out to trigger hysteria. No use letting all these articles to to waste though.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

PassTheRemote posted:

Anyway, new Bennett:

hmmm, I'm not sure if this is A Moses Cartoon, or A Charlton Heston Cartoon.

He's riffing off a recent Sunday front page in the Times Free Press about Appalachian snake handling churches.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

"Meawhile"?

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Ugh it's all the fault of this sexy crossdresser that I keep thinking about man sex!

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Cheerios Super Bowl commercial was a sequel to a commercial from last year that did cause some racist backlash, although not to the extent of the Coke commercial.

Add me to the list of people who found this funny, although moments after chuckling at it I realized Tinsley probably meant it as a genuine anti-atheist cartoon, which is just kind of sad.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This guy looks like he's making a sarcastic joke about some delusional local who found Jesus in his/her toast.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PassTheRemote posted:

Buffet is a french word, is Lester boycotting Golden Corall?
No, but he is boycotting Warren. :rimshot:

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Well you're wrong and that is bad and you should feel bad! <:mad:>

Feel bad!
No, it's a funny comic. "What if these people did that thing that other people do, it'd be just as crazy!"

What?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MisterBadIdea posted:

But none of these seemed repellent enough, so after twisting my brain, I came up with the possibility that Tinsley is making fun of atheists; that their so-called rationality is a facade, and that they are illogical enough that they take the lack of an insane miracle happening right this second as proof of their worldview.

Of course, even if this is the case, that's still a good deal more logical than imagining a burn mark on the pastry kinda looks like a bearded guy, thus a whole stack of theology must be true.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

Unbelievable

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wUdetAAlY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

A Cute Budweiser Superbowl Commercial Happened.

Two of those footballs are wholesale deliberate fabrications.

I'm wondering when the whole Benghazi thing is just going to loving die already. I guess if someone still believes that crap then absolutely nothing is really going to dislodge it from their brain at this point.

• Locked thread