Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Out of all the times I have seen this cartoon, this is the first time I realize it's not an Asay. :monocle:

No it's obviously a feminist cartoon. If it were Asay, he'd expect us to agree with the horrible teacher, not the student pointing out that sex is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hey Rorus Raz, I think you were the one who did the edit of a cartoon of Obama missing a basket, where Bush spectacularly misses followed by MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

I tried to go through the last thread to find it, but you post so much Asay that I started to get too depressed. Might you have that one?

Oh, also the one where Obama launches his head as a missile.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheDarkFlame posted:

This is not particularly elegant or well-done

This is a lie. I get enough lies in my comics, thank you. Don't slander your hilarious edit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tacodaemon posted:

one of the guys on the fairly prominent rightwing blog Powerline blathered about how it just had to be the Swift kids making some commentary on Pajama Boy, because everybody has been following the Pajama Boy saga for the past few weeks and must have very strong feelings about the scandalous Pajama Boy
I found out about this from Roy Edroso's blog, where Roy wrote, as he has quite a few times in the past regarding rightbloggers, "Do these guys even know any normal people?"

I have not seen pajama boy anywhere, not even from Republican Facebook friends. I only know about him because I read these forums, and since being a goon is a strange and shameful part of my life, I naturally assume that no normal people know about Pajama Boy and therefore I never bring him up in real life. Ever.

I forgot about "Meet Hot Me". You wonderful son of a bitch :love:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"'The black president is an inept slacker' -A black Guy" -A white guy

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Butts McGee posted:

When that was pointed out, Tinsley said he didn't know Stewart was Jewish (Which pretty much means he's never paid attention to him) and pointed out the real problem is that he'd change his surname to Stewart.

Wait, Jews can't change their names now because we...need their telltale last names to keep track of who is Jewish?

I can think of a more...visual way to distinguish who are the Jews among us :godwinning:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

made of bees posted:

I think it's more how he's ashamed of his heritage because liberals are the REAL antisemites. When in reality it was because of issues with his father.

Oh I know what Tinsley meant. I was just pointing out how totally hosed up it was: like, hating a father's ethnic group is the only reason anyone would ever change his/her name.

Ugh, I finally found the edit I wanted, by Snoggle. I don't want to speak of how many hideous late 2013 Gangnam Style cartoons I had to go through to find it. Waiting for cartoonists to discover "What Does the Fox Say" in about another 4 months from now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

My favorite example of Lester shooting himself in the foot was the original version of this, which is the same except for PotG Donkey:

He tries to paint the American Left as a The Real Bigots, but then he draws Barney Frank in womens' underwear. The hypocrisy is staggering.

This would be a fucklot more convincing if the right hadn't whipped up accusations of Rev. King being a secret communist infiltrator.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fandyien posted:

This actually made me laugh, but why do waifus parents live in Argentina? What? I thought they like lived on their ranch or something.

Waifu's Japanese mother is engaged (married?) to Jan's absurdly rich South American father Don Ex Machina

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

Man, I never dreamed that I would have not one, but two of my drawings posted on the main SA article.
Right? It's like this shining honor that no one else in my life will ever know or care about
:hellyeah:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I guess I'll post the only parody I made last year that I'm not ashamed of looking back

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wait wait, doesn't her ex, Wrongly Accused of Fatherhood Mister Blowjob Russian live with her parents too?

Talk about awkward. But I guess less awkward than having to constantly pretend not to see your sister and her husband naked and drunk in the kiddie pool with a bottle of jack.

Edit:
Yup he's there

Apparently loving the Mossad woman

:pervert:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 4, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

"Haha, people sure like to watch a lot of TV :)" - A Hate Crime

Don't be willfully dense. An old man who drew loving cartoons his whole life is complaining that other people watch TV instead of all becoming President/Civil Rights Leaders/Captain Kirk.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Badera posted:

I realize I may be late to the party with this, but I just looked at Asay's website and he says that he taught in the public school system.

Yeah, but most other teachers in 1850 were racist assholes too, so I doubt he really affected much.

crowfeathers posted:

when asked about this she said that was never going to change how she taught because "the english language doesn't change"

quote:

Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour
Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of engelond to caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.

Never changes.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 4, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

That Harvey Milk day isn't a federally recognised holiday would suggest otherwise. I'm not arguing that the things that Harvey Milk did weren't incredibly brave, what I'm arguing is that they weren't incredibly effective on a national level, at least to the same degree as Martin Luther King Juniors accomplishments.

"VitalSigns, your posts on the SomethingAwful D&D Duck Dynasty thread have shifted national policy and ushered in an era of unprecedented respect, tolerance, and social justice in America. What do you have to say"

"It's too bad Generation ZZ cares more about holo-games and retro pop music to do anything themselves. :bahgawd: Our first gay President doesn't even wear a V-collar, now who's the Real Homophobe? That's why I voted for Rick Santorum jr"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

(THIS IS WHAT MIKE LESTER ACTUALLY BELIEVES)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

I'm sorry, the correct answer to that question is always "I'm going to Disney World!"

It doesn't matter what I say. After I'm dead the Mike Lesters of the world will put whatever awful reactionary bullshit in my mouth to claim I totally would have voted for the guys who want to go back to beating gays.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

CFLs are like three for $20 at my local store, and those things last forever. Even if we totally ignore the environment, it's better than the old incandescent bulbs in every possible way. This is just making a stand against those drat hippies and their oppressive policies forcing us to use...superior bulbs?

Also, any opportunity to repost this.

The only way I can see this situation playing out is Edison murdering the government agent, stealing his CFL bulb and his time machine, then riding the time waves stealing inventions and bringing them back to 19th-century America to sell them for mad profits.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 5, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jedit posted:

Thing is, despite Chaucer looking odd there are only four words in your entire quoted passage that aren't alternate spellings/pronunciations of words in use today and the major grammatical change is a different order for subjects, objects and nouns.

Oh certainly (although it would have sounded very different when read aloud: conservatism in English spelling actually helps a lot here because it makes it easy to identify "nyght/night" when he would have pronounced it something like /naixt/). But we're talking about a woman who refused to use the new MLA guide because English never changes.

English has gone through some pretty huge changes in inflection, spelling, word order, and conjugation since Chaucer, not enough to make it incomprehensible, but certainly much more significant than whether periods go inside or outside the parenthesis when you make a citation or whatever she was fretting about.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jedit posted:

Agreed, but if you look forward a couple of hundred years to the late Tudor period you'll find the language is much the same as modern English. Taking it back to Chaucer is a cheap and foolish way to criticise this woman for teaching English the way she did 40 years previous "because it doesn't change" when it really hasn't changed much in 400 years.

Really, you're going to white-knight "The 1970's MLA was the pinnacle of English perfection, so I'm going to teach you that instead of what you actually need to know to write papers in college"?

Chaucer was just a reductio ad absurdum. Language changes all the time. Modern English is still mutually intelligible with Early Modern English, but that doesn't make it okay to write articles and papers in EModE for publication. Or in 1970's MLA style either. If she doesn't want to adapt to changing styles that's her business, but pushing it on kids who are there to learn how to communicate in the modern world is just poor teaching.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 5, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

made of bees posted:

Has Muir ever given any indication of caring about Christianity except as a "gently caress you" to Muslims?

He thinks that women (and only women) who have sex are sinful.

So there, he cares about Christianity as a "gently caress you" to women, Muslims, and probably LGBT people too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PhancyPants posted:

A lot of people seem to think that if you can trick a Muslim person into eating pork, they have to throw themselves off a bridge or something.

The most :psyduck: is the gun oil with pork fat

Unless you're planning to run up to every Muslim you murder to say "there was pork on that bullet" and hope he understands English, then this product seems to require a strong belief in Muslim teachings about the uncleanliness of pigs. Like, if you really God cares if you touch pork then it seems like you should convert.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Climate scientist? More like stupid dumb idiot.

That institute really needs to hire a better graphic designer if the best they can come up with for their sign is plain Times New Roman* on a beige rectangle.

*Here comes a font nerd to tell me it's actually Venetian Old Style Serif Post-Gothic font or something...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

It's like, I know trying to get these people to use logic is impossible, but by trying to sneak pork onto corpses and put pork into bullets to send Muslims to hell you're functionally admitting that Islam is the true religion. There's no other way to interpret it.

They try to say it will deter other Muslims of you publicize it, but that's almost as dumb. It would threatening to sodomize a Christian's corpse so God would send them to hell for "lying with man".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Skelley is infecting his funny pages strip

The only way this criticism makes sense is if the author is pro-UHC.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The overwhelming majority of Dustin strips are the boomer-age father browbeating and degrading his son for not bootstrapping his way into success, despite Dustin constantly working any and all jobs he can get his hands on. I leave you to guess what his opinions on UHC are.

Me, I'd guess he has either a medium or large problem with it.

I prefer to believe Wikipedia's take on Dustin, personally.

quote:

Dustin Kudlick, the titular character of the comic strip. A 23-year-old college graduate who failed to find regular employment in the current economy after graduating and thus moved back home to live with his parents. He is constantly trapped in a cycle of dead-end temp jobs and grueling manual labor, frequently shown putting in long hours at a car wash or asking his supervisor at the temp agency for more career-enhancing assignments that might help him break out of the cycle of wage slavery, not to mention troubling in developing relationships with women and a budding inventor. Despite his dysfunctional family atmosphere, Dustin remains stoic, a heroic everyman and inspiration to the reader, as he endures and strives, trying to find true employment and happiness.

Ed Kudlick, Dustin's father, is an angry, bitter lawyer who despises Dustin's apparent laziness and is the strip's main antagonist. Ed is never supportive in any way, and always seeks to crush Dustin's attempts to find meaning and useful employment, ceaselessly mocking his son and putting him down, yet the only thing they have in common is their love of golf.

The Talk page discussion of Dustin in pretty great too.

Edit: fixed link

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 6, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You pay them a dollar and they let you keep your insurance.

In other words, exchanging money for goods and services is a racket, comrade :ussr:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Found it

Goddamn this guy really is a Luddite isn't he?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lycus posted:

Are you supposed to run over to the guy you shot and have him read the flyer while he lay dying?

Oh and I suppose you have a better idea, libtard? Because I know you'll just get upset if I piss on the corpse.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Financial insecurity: something that never existed in the old system where getting sick could bankrupt you.

Since they are looking at the TV edge-on, it's not surprising that they have to wonder aloud what's being shown every 2 minutes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nice try, I'm not falling for another too-racist-for-print Tinsley edit on this page.

MisterBadIdea posted:

POLITICARTOONFACT

But do you understand Muir's horrible views?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nuclear power needs to be in every DnD thread's Things We Can't Handle list.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

XyloJW posted:

It's also the wrong proportion for an editorial cartoon, and a cut/paste from his Ebert cartoon, but with a different character and slightly altered text. It's a well done edit but there are a handful of clues that it's not real.

Wait wait wait, are you telling me the Ebert cartoon wasn't an edit?!?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

crowfeathers posted:

still the worst obama charicature in the thread

Abraham Lincoln: well-known opponent of using executive orders to get things done.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So is the unemployment rate 30%, or is Lester counting children and retired people?

Hmmmmmmmm.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

As any good conservative knows child labor laws are bullshit and retirement is reserved for those that deserve it, IE the rich.

The idle rich aren't unemployed though: they send their money out to work for them!

Now those moochers who expect the pensions they were offered in exchange for 50 years of work, well...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I don't believe it. He's putting the "president is incompetent and can't do anything" and "president is monolithic evil and has taken over completely" in the same strip and still doesn't see the cognitive dissonance. :psyduck:

Nah, it makes sense. The Emperor was incompetent at everything, and the first three movies were a series of poorly-conceived imperial plans, strategic errors, and obvious tactical blunders which lead to a string of military catastrophes.

Then in the prequels we found out he only came to power in the first place because everyone in the Republic was somehow even dumber than he.

Tim Kreider used the same analogy about Bush.

e:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 29, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Hasn't Obama used a very low amount of executive orders, compared to other recent presidents? I swear I just saw a chart showing this the other day.

An executive order freed the slaves, so conservatives are understandably frightened of Presidential power no matter how seldom used.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

XyloJW posted:

Oh hey, I missed these posts earlier, but I hate you both.

Is there anyone/thing on God's earth the Political Cartoons thread has not driven you to hate and despise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That scheming USSR, programming people to hate being slave labor for United Fruit. How can we fight such dastardly plans?

By treating Latin Americans with dignity, you say? Be realistic.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 2, 2014

• Locked thread