Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dry Bones is the only cartoon in this thread that continuously freaks me out. The strange bald man with hair growing out of his nose stares at me with his giant unblinking eyes, smiles and tries to tell me something about Israel, stopping only for a quick monotonous chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Soviet cartoonists were not immune from reusing their older work with less than stellar results. For example, here the famous Kookrynicksy group blow the dust from their Nuremberg Trials image for an easy :godwin: against Israel with added labels BEGIN and SHARON:

(the big label is "COURT OF THE NATIONS")

The once-sharp and illustrative artists later in life went for petty targets, like hippies:

and abstract art:

Unrelated, Soviet cartoonists mocking UK:

(papers have LABOUR PROMISES and CONSERVATIVE PROMISES written on them)

British police investigating Mosley's blackshirts; a lot of labels and details ("the spectral analysis table of bruises", "from Jack the Ripper to Lord Hooligan"), my favorite one is "Mosley's family tree" on a giant club

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Anyone wants insane Russian political cartoonists? Meet Gennadiy Givotov, the editorial cartoonist for "Zavtra" ("Tomorrow") newspaper, an angry piece of paper owned by noted crazyperson Alexander Prokhanov, a proponent of the worst parts of Soviet, Imperial and Putin ideologies. In other words, typical Russian neocon.

"Russian Saint Mikhail Kalashnikov"

"The Battle for Russian Arctic" - Greenpeace activists tried to oppose the oil drilling in Arctic waters, got instantly branded as villainous western spies and captured by the deployed paratroopers

"The Cosmic Horror" - Fu Manchu Obummer

"You are traitors!" - Yeltsin and Khruschev are shunned by good old boys

USA bad or something.

"Tsar-Crisis" - Pacific Rim 2 looking good.

"Human Rights Advocate" (yes)

"No to the biomaterials export!"

"Bullet to the head of electric Chikatilo!" - internet bad! / Chikatilo is a famous serial killer from the 80s, his name has become a shorthand for all of them since

"Hard to be a Russian"

"Fourteen Knives to the body of Russia"

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 21, 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I'm not trying to be a dick, but out of curiosity, does anyone know how many Soviets died on the Eastern Front on D-Day? Soviet soldiers averaged 7,500 fatalities per day during World War II.

Soviet Union had no operations going on on 6th of June, the Vyborg Operation on 10-20 June resulted in 6,018 KIA.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Leather daddy Obama from the russian cartoonist Yuri Podvitsky returns:

"BLACK OVERLORD. The most important in bodybuilding is not the body but wife's dumbbells and the gaze of a male."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ThirdPartyView posted:

Are they supposed to be his slave children?

Got you covered here:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The artist is black, so I'd cut him some slack here

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

What's the title of that Animorphs book?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

WORSE
SLAV

THAN
ERY

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gilganixon posted:

All my hatred of Ramirez has gone into this.

A colour version is coming in a couple of days, but for now, feast your eyes and handle if you can (no TIMG because I don't like you):

Here is the stupidly high resolution version so you can play Where's Waldo with all the inane gibberish I packed in if you're so inclined.

I am bad at Where's Waldo, but is there a Ted Rall reference in it? Can't see one.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Russian hard-right website "Sputnik i Pogrom" (extremely popular because of flashy design) got into politoons game with some werid poo poo about Ukrainian conflict. I don't think people here (of those who don't follow Eastern Europe thread) know or care about the situation, but I post these anyway to familiarize the regulars with the level of political discourse in Russia (and the state of political cartooning) at the moment.

Russian hard-right (just as Russian hard-left) is slowly going back from its patriotic sugar rush and now believes that Kremlin has left the rebels in Ukraine on their own. While brave monarchist terminators massacre Ukrainian homonazis, Putin appeases the West, favors the stalinists and denies Honest Russians their much-wanted war with the neighbour.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/i4EUVnn.jpg :nws: (popular aging rock musician Anrei Makarevitch decided to show support for Ukraine and did a concert for refugees)

:nms: :nws: http://i.imgur.com/qiguf7C.jpg :nws: :nms:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Saint Sputnik posted:

But isn't this saying that there is a race card? e: and that he ought to play it if he can, even though the term is usually meant to say "he thinks he's immune from criticism because he's black"?

Want to quote ex-goon hermanos on that one

quote:

The race card isn’t real. Let’s say that for the purposes of this argument the race card is a real thing that can be played by colored people. It isn’t, I repeat, but let’s say that in this hypothetical world full of unicorns and dragons and magic, it is real. The race card wouldn’t be the big joker or the small joker. It wouldn’t be the Ace of Spades or a Royal Flush (assuming you had several… never mind), either. It wouldn’t even be Draw Four. It would be that extra card that comes in card decks that explains the rules to a card game. You know the card that we all ignore? It’s that one. But the only thing written on it is “YOU CAN’T WIN.”

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Perestroika-era Russian cartoons and posters

"Steps of computerization"

"The Great Stalin has shown us the way"

"In the memory of women who have died and survived in Stalin's camps"

"In the memory of those who have died fighting alcoholism" (these are bottles of cologne and window cleaner, 80s prohibiton law was harsh)

"Even in ballet we are best in the world" (dancers skirt is composed of product cards)

"Strike, another strike!" (USSR Constitution, the little piece is article 6 - "The leading and guiding force of the Soviet society and the nucleus of its political system, of all state organisations and public organisations, is the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.")

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

The last Ramirez in color:

I get that even Ramirez probably does not like prequels, but the movie that had a plot about a kleptocratic power occupying a small planet while the ersatz-UN did jack poo poo was not "Empire Strikes Back". Poroshenko would rock the kabuki make-up!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Randler posted:

http://www.lto.de/recht/hintergruende/h/vergewaltigung-sexualstrafrecht-istanbul-konvention/ (In German, obviously)

That's § 177 of the German Criminal Code, which I Nr. 3 variant has been the subject of critic since basically its inception. And now has again become a hotspot as people argue about whether it is in compliance with the convention's requirements.

So, the definition of rape, in your opinion, should only be limited to variants 1 and 2? Seems awfully archaic.
Here in Russia, in a Code very much inspired by Germanic tradition we have an even more archaic definition that separates "rape" from "sexual acts of violent nature" and limits it to physical and psychological violence applied in an act, which leads to terrible court practice with a very narrow reading.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Randler posted:

No, I'm fine with variant 3 existing. (And to entertain R. Mute, § 177 I technically isn't rape. It's only rape if the qualification requirements of § 177 II are fulfilled as well.) The current discourse, as given in the link I posted, is whether the current 3 variants of § 177 I cover the requirements set forth by the Istanbul convention. Some from the left and the feminism movement argue that it doesn't and that there should be a new law for that. Their conceptions of that law do, however, run into criticism because formulating a law with even wider than the current one would result in something so vague as to become practically unuseable and being in danger of being declared unconstitutional on grounds of its vagueness. (The latter would then result in a lot of people going free, because an unconstitutional law means that that you cannot penalize people based on them and nobody wants that.)

Oh, okay, I get it now. I'll look into analysis of the convention.

I don't know if feminism can "call" for something this specific, as it is a fairly wide movement and I am sure it is not a zero-sum game of "accept everything remotely feminist-positive or you are a chauvinist pig"!

Where is forums poster solovyov when you need her :smith:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Swan Oat posted:

'Toly is not a diminutive for Anatoliy goddamnit :argh:

Not far from Tolya at least.
Almost all cartoonists incorrectly call Vladimir Putin Vlad.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Kegluneq posted:

What would be an appropriate diminutive of Vladimir?

Volodya, as a shorthand for the old-timey Volodimir (sibling to the gothic Waldemar), Vova for a friendier one, Vovochka if you think Putin is a child, Vovan if you are feeling thuggy.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I have decided to check on my old Russian "favorite", Vitaly Podvitsky, who is currently employed by the main, state-funded and state-owned information agency RIA and oh boy

A Feguson cartoon "Let there be Black Russia!"
Podvitsky appeals to the Black Hundred - a nationalistic reactionary force of the Russian revolutions comprised of pogrom-loving landowners. Russian KKK basically. Podvitsky jokingly offers "white guard officer" Strelkov - an ex-commander of Russian rebels in Ukraine (recently sacked by Kremlin overlords for being too loco) - to raise the masses.

"Maybe not? Thats not our method!" says Barry draped in "Counter sanctions"
Podvitsky references an old Russian comedy where after a cat-and-mouse routine the bully gets an Elmer Fudd-like blackface from ash (complete with a spear and a grass skirt) and is trapped by the nerdy underdog:

A cartoon referencing Master and Margarita by Bulgakov - Comrade Stalin explains to the Ukrainian President Poroshenko that he is going to die soon. In the original novel, it was Satan who comes to Earth to troll the Soviet atheists. Kinda messes up the analogy.
To add even more dumb poo poo, in the accompaning text (rewrite of the passage from the novel), cartoonist refers to Poroshenko as Waltzmann - a lot of fringe Russian sites insist that it is the real last name of the Ukranian President and that he is Jewish, which is a very, very anti-fascist thing to do.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 9, 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Sure one side is interested in harming people either actively or passively to further own goals but you might also consider that the other side is fat.

Parker and Stone made being a reactionary cool for the whole generation, something conservative parties around the world only dream of.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

I see someone be needin' a taste o' me broadsword.

Will someone send this fool to Taylor Jones' Locker already!?

Ye...ye really like drawin' boats, don't ye?

*jumps overboard, crying all the way down*

Yes, pirates, a great analogy for overreaching government.
With a century of pirates being mostly romanticized in movies one would think that ~free market~ folks would be in love with the image.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Randler posted:

Apparently Breitbart.com is reporting on it as well and claims to have uncovered a mailing list, where video game journalists of technically competing sites coordinate their agender (:haw:) setting. While everybody with half a brain knows that video game journalism is merely glorified marketing (similiar to travel and car journalism), I believe the hard right is grasping at straws to do their "Look at how corrupt the mainstream media is!" dance again.

Saying that Breitbart.com is "on it" is kinda presumptious because there is just one asshat from Breitbart London who is probably very proud about securing twitter handles @nero and @caligula before anyone else in the world.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

Irony usually implies something happening that is the opposite of what is expected, and I can hardly imagine anything more expected out of the U.S. in response to terrorism in the Middle East than military action.

:confused:

You see, the USA response is headless just like the people that get captured by ISIS haha :thesperg:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Doesn't the classic (or rather, oft-repeated) version of the chess cartoon go like "one side is all pawns, the other is the usual line-up" in a class allegory?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The slaying of a 26-legged lion will be seen as Obama's greatest achivement

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

A digest of Russian cartoonist Vitaliy Podvitsky

"USSR breakdown, Lithuania, Ukraine, Georgia, Ukraine, Moscow"
There is a new US ambassador in Russia, John Thaft. Podvitsky, employed by the state Russian news agency, drew this as a present to Thaft, the ambassador kindly accepted it and said that he respects the craft of cartoonists.

Pro-russian rebels in Ukraine ceased the POW exchange, because Ukrainians (allegedly) offered civilians instead of captured soldiers. Civilian lives are worthless, eh, Vitaliy?

"A threat to the world peace!", pointing at Russia. "9/11, USA, NATO, sanctions" burn behind

"No reverses!" - papa Bear is angry at Europe sharing Russian gas with Ukraine. "Gimme a hit, old hag!" - Ukrainian president Poroshenko.

Russia has started selling oil in roubles and yuans, dollar is finished! It is not the yuan sign

"Gonna find them all!" - Papa Bear is going into Ukraine to find the buried victims of "Ukranian junta".

"You are the damned intervent!"

A holiday happened - International Contraceptive Day. What a chance to call Ukrainian president a gondon (misspeled "condom", a common Russian slur)!

Sometimes, Podvitsky does a harmless non-offensive cartoon on urban themes. Excessive rich folks really want to see Kremlin from their window.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Yes, this child has good hands to work, it is a pity that the nanny state prohibits him from using them for profit!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

Did a little edit. Now it actually makes sense!

The ethnically segregated Russian Empire army got its rear end kicked in WWI and was basically forced to enlist jews and muslims to overcome the manpower shortage, while the truly diverse Soviet army led by a Georgian, a Russian and a Polak won WWII.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 1, 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Sin of Onan posted:

I thought Russia kicked the crap out of Austria-Hungary? In which case the cartoon is still good.

Both Austria-Hungary and Russian Empire lost so hard their states crashed as the result.

Ethnical and religious tensions played its part in Russian Revolution and the sudden willingness to send hundreds of thousands of jews and muslims to die for Tsar and Country in WWI after a good century of treating non-Orthodox people like poo poo was not met with much celebration. It is as if the desegregation is instrumental in disarming the ethnical tensions in the army and the modernisation in general.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Afaik, being drafted into the army was a huge problem for the Jewish population of Russia long before WWI.

They could not use the army as the career lift, as people of Jewish faith were prohibited from rising in ranks.

And then, suddenly, in 1917 the military commanders are surprised that a large number of 500 000 enlisted Jews turn out to be not loyal to the regime.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nenonen posted:

[nra_fantasies045.jpg]

yes the terrorist organization that has self-propelled artillery and tanks and suicide bombers is going to be defeated by elderly ladies carrying pistols the size of their body :psyduck:

Great idea for a Deadliest Warrior episode

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lysdexique posted:

Because they're the real victims!

I cannot comprehend just how dumb this cartoon is.

START THE CALIPHATE QUAID

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ebola and ISIS cartoons are getting worse and dumber every day. I can almost see the saliva stains on them.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bloodnose posted:

And then something not political but I think goons will appreicate:

I'm pretty sure he was paid by the local PS group to do this as a kind of ad. He links to PlayStation Hong Kong's website in the post.

Slap a DEBT on the colossus and "male in a custody hearing" on Goku and you would have some Pulitzer-ready material.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Good thing there is already a Sexy Ebola verison!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It gets thought of more as the 'Kremlin' then the actual Kremlin because it's so visually distinctive and got used a lot as visual shorthand for Moscow in Cold War movies. Also Trudeau isn't a huge hack like 95% of the artists posted here *cough*Mallard Fillmore*cough* and St. Basil's makes for a more interesting exterior to play around with than the Kremlin.

I don't know, Spasskaya Tower of Kremlin is pretty distinctive

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

My favorite awful Russian cartoonist decided to become the new Latuff and has started an english-language twitter so I don't have to translate his labels anymore, wooo https://twitter.com/cartoonwizard/

An employee of the biggest Russian news agency.

trigger warning: comic sans

"#washingtonpost : Eastern Europeans are bowing to Putin’s power.
Antirussian @BarackObama 's team is falling apart. "

"Australian Prime Minister @TonyAbbottMHR has promised to "shirtfront" Russian president Vladimir #Putin"
How can you manage to gently caress up the Abbot's likeness?! The man was born to be mocked.

"#Putin has signed into #law a bill,which sets the maximum foreign stake in #Russian massmedia companies at 20percent"

Ruble is crushing hard due to the falling oil prices, of course it means that the dollar is only a bubble. Any day now...

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 16, 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

An article about it.

The bolded bit makes it all even better.

Adarsh's Facebook page, which has more comics. (The URL on some of them redirects to the Facebook page.)

EDIT: Oh my god yes

This is magical and I want giant prints of it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Branco you lazy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

El Scotch posted:

Goons haven't gotten Lowtax in trouble in a while, have they?

He did interviews about Slenderman recently, I think.

• Locked thread