Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Defiance Industries posted:

Wanda is frequently totally bonkers. If Gambit's key character beat is "lovably(?) sleazy" and Wolverine has "SNIKT BUB," Wanda's is "sudden, violent mood swings."

Kind of. Wanda is a little bit of a minefield for the most part - she'll never freak the hell out and just start going nuclear at you; Think of her as suffering from bipolar disorder.

She's probably the quietest of the Brotherhood but also the most powerful by a country mile. She's got powers that are mutant in nature but are so bizarre that they're mostly defined and explained as being 'magic.' She's a caster and reality warper and, in comics, considered to be a 'nexus being' - someone that is so deeply woven into the universe that removing them from the universe through some time travel or other similar nonsense would cause overwhelming damage to reality. The trouble is that she's unaware of how a lot of these things work for her which is what makes her really dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I assume Xavier has a Xerox machine in case we need to provide Woo any documents right?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Lager posted:

I assume Xavier has a Xerox machine in case we need to provide Woo any documents right?

If you think Woo is gonna stay your mid-way shady good guy you haven't been paying attention :P

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sion posted:

If you think Woo is gonna stay your mid-way shady good guy you haven't been paying attention :P

My expectations may be colored in that Jimmy Woo is one of my favorite characters and I don't want him making a heel turn...plus I don't think we've actually encountered him in game so I'm not sure what to expect.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Lager posted:

My expectations may be colored in that Jimmy Woo is one of my favorite characters and I don't want him making a heel turn...plus I don't think we've actually encountered him in game so I'm not sure what to expect.

Nah, I don't think there's gonna be a big heel turn. Like- Woo isn't a bad guy in anything.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sion posted:

Nah, I don't think there's gonna be a big heel turn. Like- Woo isn't a bad guy in anything.

Ah. So I'm assuming we're going to get burned by the government then. I do see that coming though Pete's going to try his best to keep Woo friendly regardless.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"What was Wanda after" indeed Rogue. I assume she's in some way trying to get back at her dad. That's usually why.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
You know what they say about assumptions, though.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

You know what they say about assumptions, though.

That it's the stuff I kind of like to gently caress with?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Sion posted:

That it's the stuff I kind of like to gently caress with?

I was going for "they make an rear end out of u and mptions" but that's good too.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Error 404 posted:

Are there any campaign specific unlockables you have in mind, or are we just going from the general stuff from the book? Also if one of us doesn't have the book (which I don't think is the case) I'll be happy to post the XP/unlockable options in the ooc thread.

I don't really dig on the unlockables. Does anyone have anything that they particularly want? Additionally, if you wanted to tag out onto a different character or something that could probably be arranged. THis is a fairly extended downtime between issues

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Well, I'll have to look up XP costs for stuff to be sure, but I'm thinking I'm gonna work towards bumping both strength and durability to d12s, and maybe some SFX. I won't know for sure 'til I can sit down and hash it out and it's no big deal. I'll check with you on whatever I do decide I want.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Error 404 posted:

Well, I'll have to look up XP costs for stuff to be sure, but I'm thinking I'm gonna work towards bumping both strength and durability to d12s, and maybe some SFX. I won't know for sure 'til I can sit down and hash it out and it's no big deal. I'll check with you on whatever I do decide I want.

Sure. At some point we're going to jump forwards by a year or so - if you wanted to throw in a secondary mutation or something if you wanna get a little nutty that works too. D12's on Molly could be great too; I re-read the Battle of the Atom arc recently with Future Molly and I just kind of love the look.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sion posted:

Sure. At some point we're going to jump forwards by a year or so - if you wanted to throw in a secondary mutation or something if you wanna get a little nutty that works too. D12's on Molly could be great too; I re-read the Battle of the Atom arc recently with Future Molly and I just kind of love the look.

holy crap, I haven't been keeping up on comics but that is bad rear end looking. I may just photoshop that pic a bit to be my 'Black' Molly.

But since this is essentially alternate Earth-randomnumbersgohere, and stuff happens similar but different, I'm thinking of making Molly literally the strongest woman on earth, like she can go toe to toe with Hulk and even make Thor pause and go 'whoa'.

So I see myself upping strength and invulnerability to d12s, maybe adding some stamina at d8 or d10, and otherwise liberally 'borrowing' a lot of SFX from powerhouses like Hulk and Colossus and reflavoring them to be Molly-like. I can also see adding more limits like collateral damage ad the one about needing to pull punches and be extra careful not to destroy stuff.

Related question because the text isn't super clear and I've seen different GMs handle it differently, Can we use multiple SFX on a single roll, or just one?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Error 404 posted:

holy crap, I haven't been keeping up on comics but that is bad rear end looking. I may just photoshop that pic a bit to be my 'Black' Molly.

But since this is essentially alternate Earth-randomnumbersgohere, and stuff happens similar but different, I'm thinking of making Molly literally the strongest woman on earth, like she can go toe to toe with Hulk and even make Thor pause and go 'whoa'.

So I see myself upping strength and invulnerability to d12s, maybe adding some stamina at d8 or d10, and otherwise liberally 'borrowing' a lot of SFX from powerhouses like Hulk and Colossus and reflavoring them to be Molly-like. I can also see adding more limits like collateral damage ad the one about needing to pull punches and be extra careful not to destroy stuff.

Related question because the text isn't super clear and I've seen different GMs handle it differently, Can we use multiple SFX on a single roll, or just one?

Yeah, that Molly is pretty badass. It's a shame that she's kind of a villain! If you just stuck a bunch of D12s on her strength she's probably not limited to strongest woman on earth; she'd be up there in the big leagues regardless of who she is. I'm not sure about the additional SFX things but- if you can convince me that the SFX is awesome then I'm fine with it :)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sion posted:

I'm not sure about the additional SFX things but- if you can convince me that the SFX is awesome then I'm fine with it :)

Challenge Accepted.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
You know, I don't think I've even got enough XP to do anything, actually. Pretty sure I have 4, 1 for discussing technology, 3 for creating an asset in the form of the Gigawatt Haymaker. Unless I've miscounted somewhere. Either way it's certainly not enough to do what I want. Guess I need to hit those milestones more often.

I think my intended goals for Forge's character development kinda key into him being a li'l bit old and a li'l bit crazy. All the old dudes in X-Men (Logan included) tend to have been in control and aware of their powers since early childhood. Forge really hasn't, because his power is pretty much entirely within his subconscious. So now he's kinda been "keyed in" to the existence of this power, it's like waking up from a pleasant dream to find yourself behind the steering wheel of a racing car. A change of pace to say the least.

(Plus he's got some Issues.)

So I'm probably gonna stick with my current power set for now, amp up the dice a smidge here and there (especially psychic resistance, which is going to be a Big Thing for him in the future), although I'm not ruling out the possibility of giving him his trademark robo-limbs eventually.

Forge has been the subject of so much writer apathy in the comics it's a little hard to think what sort of new developments his mutation could take. I mean, with the way I'm playing him, he's as old (and maybe as powerful, in his own way) as Xavier and Magneto, but with literally no experience. I suppose I should focus on expanding his competence with his powers, rather than considering "enhancing" them.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Error 404 posted:

Challenge Accepted.

This is more or less my go-to-rule. If you want something that the rules are unclear on, convince me that it's cool and you can have it.

Fuego Fish posted:

Forge has been the subject of so much writer apathy in the comics it's a little hard to think what sort of new developments his mutation could take. I mean, with the way I'm playing him, he's as old (and maybe as powerful, in his own way) as Xavier and Magneto, but with literally no experience. I suppose I should focus on expanding his competence with his powers, rather than considering "enhancing" them.

More or less. THe fact you have given Forge an actual name is more character development than he's had in the last ~30 years.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
That said, the robot limbs are 90s as gently caress. Though I have faith you can do them justice should you choose, Fuego. :buddy:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Error 404 posted:

It is 15 xp to go from d10 to d12. Better hit a lotta milestones!

Sion posted:

I'm not sure about the additional SFX things but- if you can convince me that the SFX is awesome then I'm fine with it :)

The way I look at it is that it depends on the cost you're paying. You can't use multiple SFX that both require you to, for example, add your physical stress to the Doom Pool, since you only have one of those, or multipower to add more dice after you've gone down to d4. You COULD use multiple SFX that require you to step down your effect die, as you could just step it down twice. But that is, again, just how I run things.

Also, I've been thinking and it would be good for the future if I convert my dueling sword powerset into something more like general equipment (maybe "tools of the trade" or something along those lines) so I can expand it as I pick up different gear, since what is a world-class thief without a world-class equipment kit? It wouldn't change the powers immediately (still weapon d6, d8 durability) but it would allow for more versatility when buying new powers later.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Also, I've been thinking and it would be good for the future if I convert my dueling sword powerset into something more like general equipment (maybe "tools of the trade" or something along those lines) so I can expand it as I pick up different gear, since what is a world-class thief without a world-class equipment kit? It wouldn't change the powers immediately (still weapon d6, d8 durability) but it would allow for more versatility when buying new powers later.

Go for it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Been wavering over what to post next, but I think I might have a good idea of something to do.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Okay so it looks like the Danger Room is gonna be a thing. Fuego do you have any specific plans for it or what's gonna go inside that you wanna talk about?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Well, I've always thought that the standard Danger Room model of "a big metal box that tries to murder you" is somewhat counter-intuitive for training purposes. Forge is former Navy, and the armed forces don't train up their recruits by opening fire on them. It's all about establishing what your body can do, what your mind can do, and gaining new skills.

So it's going to be something a little like a reinforced Olympics-grade gymnasium with the latest in just-made-this-up technology. A place where powers can be measured - the temperature of Rogue's fire abilities, the upper limits of Molly's strength - and also put through their paces. So there'll be weights to lift, target ranges, all that jazz - but automated and way more gruelling that what any average person could deal with.

As far as Forge is concerned, the "Danger" part of the Danger Room is referring to what those inside it can accomplish. Admittedly trying someone else's training regime might be more than a little deadly, considering nobody shares powers or anything, but in principle it's going to be like basic training amped up.

It should also be pretty good for getting people to work together. Forge has an interest in seeing what comes about of combining power sets. It's the mechanist's mindset in him.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
And the best part:

Training Montage!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
So hey, I got bored, and just for giggles, I made* a 'Molly in uniform' picture.

*In the loosest sense of the word, I am not good at photoshop.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 16, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hold up, let me get a tweed trenchcoat with leather elbow patches.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hold up, let me get a tweed trenchcoat with leather elbow patches.

"I think all this censorship in movies is bad. You might even say it's very bad."

With eloquence like that, academia was clearly Remy's only option.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm actually hewing close to canon on this one. In the second-to-last page of the last issue of his most recent solo (which was great) we finally learn exactly what he teaches at the Jean Grey School. Intro to Art History, and a Sex Ed class where at least a quarter of his students don't even have genitals.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Huh. I did not know that... I mean, the art history thing. I mean, I didn't know the quarter of his students not having genitals also wasn't a thing I knew but-

hey, you know what? can we just have a do-over?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It makes sense. If you're going to be a professional thief you probably know about art. Or at least, how to spot a forgery.

e: Also if his solo series had continued to issue 18 and beyond he would have teamed up with Elsa Bloodstone and Brother Voodoo to steal various relics of power from magically-empowered supervillains, which would have been great. Any chance I can rob Dracula?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 18, 2014

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I don't know who Dr. No is. Sorry. :(

Also this is a weird conversation about genitals. Comics books what?

Kylra fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 19, 2014

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Kylra posted:

I don't know who Dr. No is. Sorry. :(

Also this is a weird conversation about genitals. Comics books what?

Dr. No is the first James Bond movie. He's the bald, Doctor Evil lookin' guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myoVLMnKw2M

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

e: Also if his solo series had continued to issue 18 and beyond he would have teamed up with Elsa Bloodstone and Brother Voodoo to steal various relics of power from magically-empowered supervillains, which would have been great. Any chance I can rob Dracula?

No but you can Rob Zombie.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Do you guys want plot or do you wanna do character developmenty-drinking?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Drinking!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm cool either way, and will go with the group. But drinking could be pretty funny.

Edit: Drunken Molly Smash!

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 24, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sion posted:

Do you guys want plot or do you wanna do character developmenty-drinking?

Sounds like I have an opportunity for both.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Sounds like I have an opportunity for both.

Maybe! Maybe the Brotherhood are going bowling, a week before the start of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sion, your description of the Tip Top Lounge makes me wonder if you've been there, because you definitely got the paint scheme correct.

• Locked thread