Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fluffdaddy posted:

From the outside sure, but this is going to be a nightmare for us.
Hope Saban tells him to just shut the gently caress up, draw up his offense and recruit and do nothing else.

And don't get cute about the recruiting part either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
On Oregon vs MSU.

Anytime I've ever seen MSU playing a run-first spread team their defense looks positively pedestrian. Against Nebraska in 2012 and OSU this year it just seems like the D-coordinator doesn't care about using spies and just let's the QB run wherever they want. They really get hit hard by any kind of misdirection and I don't think they're going to do quite as well vs Oregon's offense as Stanford always does.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TheGreyGhost posted:

Considering most of our formations are 3 WRs or more, it's going to be largely dependent on your slot coverage I imagine since I seem to remember your starters being solid.

Eeh, our backers tend to give up a few big gains on drags and slants every week. You're right, our corners are elite, but you can hurt our formations over the middle. How's your TE situation?

quote:

If you guys have even a middling passing offense

Lemme just stop you right there.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Nebraska moved the ball pretty well against MSU this year. If Nebraska's turnover explosion was taken out of the equation the Huskers would have made it a very close loss or a victory.

One or two of the turnovers may have been the result of a good defense, most of them were a result of a freshman QB making bad choices and poor ball security.

I think it also helps Stanford that they get to play Oregon late enough in the season that the Cardinal defense has had a chance to come together. It takes discipline to stop Oregon's offense and discipline develops over the course of the season.

All of this is to say I think MSU will get their poo poo pushed in against Oregon.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 11, 2014

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Elotana posted:

Is the MOB at least coming this time
Maybe. It's not the first week of classes this time, although I'm not sure how keen the MOB director is on going to College Station in general. If nothing else they'll at least do the pep band thing again.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

PBCrunch posted:

Nebraska moved the ball pretty well against MSU this year. If Nebraska's turnover explosion was taken out of the equation the Huskers would have made it a very close loss or a victory.

One or two of the turnovers may have been the result of a good defense, most of them were a result of a freshman QB making bad choices and poor ball security.

I think it also helps Stanford that they get to play Oregon late enough in the season that the Cardinal defense has had a chance to come together. It takes discipline to stop Oregon's offense and discipline develops over the course of the season.

All of this is to say I think MSU will get their poo poo pushed in against Oregon.

MSU vs Oregon will be a good barometer as far as whether or not I should be excited for Oregon's complete season. Not that it'll keep any Oregon fan from dreading the month of November.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Incoherence posted:

Maybe. It's not the first week of classes this time, although I'm not sure how keen the MOB director is on going to College Station in general. If nothing else they'll at least do the pep band thing again.

But this time they won't be able to mock Johnny. Alas.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Thoguh posted:

What the gently caress Swofford? Why even have divisions if you aren't going to have the teams all play each other and aren't going to use division champs for the title game?

Don't they have some weird agreement with Notre Dame where Notre Dame plays like 4 conference games in some rotating arbitrary pod, starting in a few years?

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Texas OT Josh Cochran is quitting football on advisement from his doctors.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Hope Saban tells him to just shut the gently caress up, draw up his offense and recruit and do nothing else.

And don't get cute about the recruiting part either.

I'm sorta surprised that Saban would go with this hire. The man can coach offense, but he has a ton of baggage in the conference.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Maybe he hired Kiffin for the express purpose of trolling Tennessee. The game next year is at Tennessee, too, it's gonna be glorious.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

My god... Its full of stars.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Noctone posted:

Maybe he hired Kiffin for the express purpose of trolling Tennessee. The game next year is at Tennessee, too, it's gonna be glorious.

In that case, he also successfully trolled a large section of the Alabama fan base. Just about all my Alabama friends are confused, but at least see the humor in it. Then there's the one guy at work saying "LALALA COACH SABAN KNOWS BEST WE'LL SHOW YOU". I'm not saying he won't be good for Alabama. He has done good work with QBs in the past and is a great recruiter, but from where I sit, this still looks drat funny. The only thing better would have been getting Coach O.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
If Rice joined the Big XII tomorrow, they'd be better than at least two other teams in the conference. I think they'd be a great fit. UCF I'm not so sure about, but it only seems fair that if two or three other conferences have a Florida contingent, then so should the Big XII.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Probably Magic posted:

If Rice joined the Big XII tomorrow, they'd be better than at least two other teams in the conference. I think they'd be a great fit. UCF I'm not so sure about, but it only seems fair that if two or three other conferences have a Florida contingent, then so should the Big XII.

I really doubt the Big XII is going to let in any more Texas teams.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Probably Magic posted:

If Rice joined the Big XII tomorrow, they'd be better than at least two other teams in the conference.

Haha no

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Kansas beat West Virginia last year, and we all know Kansas's recent record against Rice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Rice would be better than the absolute basement of the conference for like a year at most. Rice is not even a sustainably decent football program.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
PSU's backup QB Tyler Ferguson is following Petrino to Louisville

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Rice brings nothing to the conference, though. They don't have a national brand, they have like 50 fans, and their facilities would instantly be league-worst. The only thing Rice brings to the equation is academics, so they bring nothing.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I would settle for SWC + OU and OSU...

Really, it would just be cool to play Arkansas and A&M annually again.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zypher posted:

Rice brings nothing to the conference, though. They don't have a national brand, they have like 50 fans, and their facilities would instantly be league-worst. The only thing Rice brings to the equation is academics, so they bring nothing.

Isn't their stadium too large to be filled with every living or dead alumni in school history?

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
Sorry if this has already been posted I did a quick scan through the thread, and didn't see it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/us/ncaa-athletes-unc-response/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Summery: UNC pays researcher to do a study. Study comes back and shows between 8-10% of the players on the UNC football and basketball teams are reading below a third grade level. Also apparently one basketball player could neither read or write. The university said it didn't believe that a player couldn't read or write but won't discuss the rest because they haven't receive the data yet. Researcher shows email proof that study was sent to UNC twice. So far for her research which was paid for by the university she's received 4 death threats and 30 alarming messages.

Not sure if this is 100% true since its a fairly new story, but even if its only a little true, Jesus Christ! Talk about poison sports cultures in college athletics.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't their stadium too large to be filled with every living or dead alumni in school history?

When it was built, at least. Seems incredulous that it would still be true (70,000 capacity).

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Nah Kansas being shittier than Rice checks out

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Morby posted:

In that case, he also successfully trolled a large section of the Alabama fan base. Just about all my Alabama friends are confused, but at least see the humor in it. Then there's the one guy at work saying "LALALA COACH SABAN KNOWS BEST WE'LL SHOW YOU". I'm not saying he won't be good for Alabama. He has done good work with QBs in the past and is a great recruiter, but from where I sit, this still looks drat funny. The only thing better would have been getting Coach O.

Coach O is also a really good assistant though.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Zypher posted:

When it was built, at least. Seems incredulous that it would still be true (70,000 capacity).
According to Rice's alumni website, it's still true. They have 46,509 alumni as of 2008.

Rice is a tiny, tiny school, with one of the most beautiful campuses I've ever seen.

EDIT: Why hasn't anyone hired David Bailiff? He's won at Rice, and a year winning fewer games at Rice than Bailiff got Todd Graham the Tulsa job.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 11, 2014

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

HarlanHell posted:

Sorry if this has already been posted I did a quick scan through the thread, and didn't see it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/us/ncaa-athletes-unc-response/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Summery: UNC pays researcher to do a study. Study comes back and shows between 8-10% of the players on the UNC football and basketball teams are reading below a third grade level.

So far for her research which was paid for by the university she's received 4 death threats and 30 alarming messages.

So by the numbers, approx 3-4 of them were pictograms?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Oh hey, they posted SEC schedules. I really want next year to be better. Arkansas always plays a couple FCS cupcakes to start the season to get some games under their belts and hopefully build up some fan goodwill before the SEC schedule gets going, right? Let's see who our first game cupcake is this ye-

quote:

Aug. 30 – at Auburn

:stonk:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zypher posted:

What the flying gently caress is Rice doing with a 70,000 seat stadium? Baylor's new stadium is only going to have room for 45k to start.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Henchman of Santa posted:

Rice would be better than the absolute basement of the conference for like a year at most. Rice is not even a sustainably decent football program.
Rice is a somewhat better program now than it was in the late SWC years when we were running the triple option and basically coasting. It wouldn't be impossible for us to become a TCU or a Baylor, at which point maybe we have enough traction to become sustainably decent. If we were to join the Big XII, we'd be there as whipping boys, and our only advantage for the conference would be as an 11th/12th to allow a championship game and as an excuse to have games in Houston for local recruiting (but Texas can do that just by paying us for OOC games).

Zypher posted:

Nope, still true as far as I know. Rice is IIRC the second smallest FBS school in terms of enrollment; they've grown recently but only to about 3800 undergraduates.

Spiritus Nox posted:

What the flying gently caress is Rice doing with a 70,000 seat stadium? Baylor's new stadium is only going to have room for 45k to start.
It was built in the 1950s when city leaders felt that Houston needed a marquee stadium. It hosted Super Bowl 8, so it sort of paid off for the city. The end zone seats are currently covered by large tarps to make the empty seats somewhat less depressing.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 11, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Incoherence posted:

It was built in the 1950s when city leaders felt that Houston needed a marquee stadium. It hosted Super Bowl 8, so it sort of paid off for the city. The end zone seats are currently covered by large tarps to make the empty seats somewhat less depressing.

Ah, yes. I have experience with tarps.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It looks like scalpers are going to make a killing this year for the Bama at Tennessee game. Bets on if Kiffin coaches from the field or booth for that game?

If you would of told me 4 years ago to this date that Kiffin would be the OC at Bama I would of said you was high.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Incoherence posted:

Nope, still true as far as I know. Rice is IIRC the second smallest FBS school in terms of enrollment; they've grown recently but only to about 3800 undergraduates.

That's nuts. Since it was built in the 50s, I just assumed they've been at least 2k enrollment since then and steadily ramping up to their current size. Blows my mind that + however many dead alums from the '20s is still less than 70k.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

According to Rice's alumni website, it's still true. They have 46,509 alumni as of 2008.

Rice is a tiny, tiny school, with one of the most beautiful campuses I've ever seen.
Yeah I'm from Houston and went to high school with a lot of kids that went there (including one of TFF's biggest Rice fans). The campus is really, really beautiful.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

MourningView posted:

Coach O is also a really good assistant though.

I don't disagree. He did a masterful job at USC and I'm surprised they didn't try to hold onto him.

Moose King posted:

Oh hey, they posted SEC schedules. I really want next year to be better. Arkansas always plays a couple FCS cupcakes to start the season to get some games under their belts and hopefully build up some fan goodwill before the SEC schedule gets going, right? Let's see who our first game cupcake is this ye-

:stonk:

Bielema with another season to recruit and establish his system could be dangerous. He's also holding onto his complete coaching staff, right?

Morby fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 11, 2014

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Zypher posted:

That's nuts. Since it was built in the 50s, I just assumed they've been at least 2k enrollment since then and steadily ramping up to their current size. Blows my mind that + however many dead alums from the '20s is still less than 70k.
Rice was rather small for a rather long time; the stadium simply dates from an era where Rice football was (believe it or not) a big deal in Houston, and from an era where Rice was actually good.

quote:

Yeah I'm from Houston and went to high school with a lot of kids that went there (including one of TFF's biggest Rice fans). The campus is really, really beautiful.
Ahem.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I mean I wasn't going to call it out for you -- it's pretty embarrassing to be associated with Texas posters around these parts

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Morby posted:

I don't disagree. He did a masterful job at USC and I'm surprised they didn't try told hold onto him.

They did, he told them to go gently caress themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Noctone posted:

They did, he told them to go gently caress themselves.

At the very least he warranted being Co-HC or SOMETHING. He's paid his dues at USC for a long time. I feel like they treated him really, really poorly.

• Locked thread