Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cityinthesea posted:

Now I just get frozen pizza from the grocery store if I'm in dire need of pizza.

I have a soft spot for Totino's. I like their flaky crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
KickBeat looks boring as hell and it's really weird that there's almost zero sound effects in the gameplay.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jackie D posted:

But seriously gently caress Papa Johns

I have a Papa Johns less than five minutes from my house. How the gently caress is that Pizza cold when it gets here?

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I have a soft spot for Totino's. I like their flaky crust.

I used to devour Totino's Party Pizzas when I was in college. So delicious, so utterly bad for you. Party Pizza is the only food I know of that still has transfats post nutrition label breakout.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

sleepwalkers posted:

It's possible to make really great pizza, but even the worst pizza is still some okay-rear end pizza.

No way. I've had a frozen pizza so bad that I took one bite and had to throw the entire thing away. It was one of the worst foods I've ever eaten.

I wish I could remember what brand it was. All I remember is that it was frozen, shaped like a big rectangle, and in a bag. The bag had a cartoon pizza dude on it.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Well there's your problem. Pizza's supposed to be a circle, get that rectangle poo poo out of here.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
If I want minimum hassle Pizza I usually just pick a fresh one up from the grocery store on the way home from work and toss it in the oven for ten minutes. Sometimes I even add my own toppings if I'm feeling particularly motivated.

For take-out Pizza I usually use Pizza Express.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

If I just want an easy, quick frozen pizza I'll get a Jack's, they usually come out good. If I want a more substantial frozen pizza I'll get a Tombstone.

Ordered pizza, you always go with the non-chain or small chain places for the best stuff. Otherwise I'll eat a pizza from anywhere.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
Maybe once a year I'll go and pick up 10 Mama Celeste pizzas and eat like 5 of them for dinner that night.

Then I get depressed that I ate 5 of those things but at the same time be happy because I really like them.

Help me

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Overbite posted:

No way. I've had a frozen pizza so bad that I took one bite and had to throw the entire thing away. It was one of the worst foods I've ever eaten.

I wish I could remember what brand it was. All I remember is that it was frozen, shaped like a big rectangle, and in a bag. The bag had a cartoon pizza dude on it.

EXCEPTION THAT PROVES THE RULE. :science:

cyxx posted:

Maybe once a year I'll go and pick up 10 Mama Celeste pizzas and eat like 5 of them for dinner that night.

Then I get depressed that I ate 5 of those things but at the same time be happy because I really like them.

Help me
I don't know what those are, but I'm hoping for your sake they aren't straight up full-size pizzas.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

sleepwalkers posted:

I don't know what those are, but I'm hoping for your sake they aren't straight up full-size pizzas.

Oh god no. They're like tiny personal pizzas.

http://www.celestepizza.com/

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Man, where do you guys live that you can't get any pizza other than chain? I can think of three places within a mile that I can get a drat good pizza from. Maybe that's just an East Coast thing. You know, the East Coast thing: having good pizza.

To be more on topic, man, Tomb Raider still makes me uncomfortable. I don't want to watch Lara Croft get sniffed by a freaky Russian dude that she then shoots in the face. Bring back dumb, campy Tomb Raider. I want to jump on a golden hand and then turn into gold because that is the good kind of dumb.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Bogart posted:

Man, where do you guys live that you can't get any pizza other than chain? I can think of three places within a mile that I can get a drat good pizza from. But I guess that's an East Coast thing?

Northern England. That pretty much answers the question.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

What? Any kebab place ever does pizza.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

The North is rife with dirty (delicious) takeaways though?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Profanity posted:

Yeah but why wouldn't you just get a kebab there? Kebabs are probably the thing I miss the most from when I lived in the UK.

My heart and arteries are glad I don't have to deal with them anymore, though.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Crowbear posted:

Yeah but why wouldn't you just get a kebab there? Kebabs are probably the thing I miss the most from when I lived in the UK.

Get a kebab meat pizza you fool. Why waste time with two separate dishes? You probably lived in the south though so I will let you off.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Ganty posted:

Get a kebab meat pizza you fool. Why waste time with two separate dishes? You probably lived in the south though so I will let you off.

I did and that was not a thing I ever heard of :smith:

Now I have to journey to Yorkshire to atone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you guys ever eat kebabs while sober

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Then just chunnel your rear end to France and drive to Italy. I've been led to believe that's not a big deal. :colbert:

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

gently caress no, it's pretty much an unwritten rule to not do that.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bogart posted:

To be more on topic, man, Tomb Raider still makes me uncomfortable. I don't want to watch Lara Croft get sniffed by a freaky Russian dude that she then shoots in the face. Bring back dumb, campy Tomb Raider. I want to jump on a golden hand and then turn into gold because that is the good kind of dumb.
I think when Matt Rorie ran Screened, he had a term "half-good": well, Tomb Raider is basically what that term was made for. It's not average, it just has huge highs and lows. On one hand, the crazy good environments I could gently caress around for hours, on the other all this creepy poo poo, baby fat, glorified QTEs with 15 facial impalements within 3 minutes.. Its good parts are just as good as the bad parts are lovely.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes.

I like Donner meat.

:smith:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

woodenchicken posted:

I think when Matt Rorie ran Screened, he had a term "half-good": well, Tomb Raider is basically what that term was made for. It's not average, it just has huge highs and lows. On one hand, the crazy good environments I could gently caress around for hours, on the other all this creepy poo poo, baby fat, glorified QTEs with 15 facial impalements in a row.. Its good parts are as good as the bad parts are lovely.

That's a good point. Give me the Just Cause 2 attitude to Tomb Raider's open world. Or just replace Lara Croft with Rico Rodriguez. Most of Lara's problems could be solved with appropriate use of a grappling hook. A rope arrow does not count. :colbert:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

woodenchicken posted:

I think when Matt Rorie ran Screened, he had a term "half-good": well, Tomb Raider is basically what that term was made for. It's not average, it just has huge highs and lows. On one hand, the crazy good environments I could gently caress around for hours, on the other all this creepy poo poo, baby fat, glorified QTEs with 15 facial impalements within 3 minutes.. Its good parts are just as good as the bad parts are lovely.

It's the one creepy scene (and the creep gets a bullet for it) and the QTEs are nearly gone after the first half hour (a handful of escape/jump quasi-cutscenes aside). Still one of the top games of 2013 for me, despite the lack of real tomb raiding.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
ugh pizza fans are the worst community, i hope when they release pizza 2 it'll suck and give food poisoning so we finally have less pizza talk in this here holy videogame th...
yeah i can't even do it. Pizza is pretty great. :shobon:

I still enjoy that the bombcast rss description says they test horrible energy drinks. When was the last time they did that? It's wrong and something needs to be done about it.

That something being "bring back horrible energy drink tasting and the bodily harm that comes along with it".

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I still enjoy that the bombcast rss description says they test horrible energy drinks. When was the last time they did that? It's wrong and something needs to be done about it.

I started listening from the beginning a few months ago and they basically stopped it in the episode right after Brad/Vinny got on board and did it once. So basically it lasted about a dozen or so episodes before they stopped (Unless they started again after 2008, haven't gotten that far yet!)

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Kebab house pizza is literally the worst pizza. They look so awful.

I did on the other hand, just order a Dominos for my flat takeout night. Highlife.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Profanity posted:

Round here it's more likely to do a Parmo. :stonk:

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Living in Northern England it'd be foolish to ever be sober.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The worst part about Tomb Raider was that the death animations weren't varied enough like in Resident Evil 4.

If you are gonna have stupid QTEs and sequences that result in instant death you should at least put some effort into the deaths.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I really liked Tomb Raider 2013, but you're right. Lara sure did get impaled on a lot of metal spears. Maybe the next game will take a lighter tone. And she'll be a pirate.

Lorem lpsum
Oct 26, 2007

The weird violence in Tomb Raider made more sense when I heard it was originally planned as a horror game. I imagine the gruesome deaths fit the tone better when you were also getting chased by the ghost from The Ring or whatever. As it is, the few weird horror set pieces and Dead Space death scenes don't fit the rest of the game at all.

asahdeaf
Sep 6, 2010
It makes sense from the perspective of making the entire game seem like an uphill fight for survival, which is more or less what they were trying to go for narratively with Lara. The issue comes in when she completely trivializes every single enemy she comes across throughout the game. If they had made stealth more integral and less a very loose option, it would have made a bit more sense, but even then most of the death animations are still too uncomfortably gruesome and relegated to environmental hazards that players interact with solely through quick-time events. It sort of fits narratively but from a mechanics perspective they're unnecessary and made even more uncomfortable than the animations by themselves are.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I kinda wish Tomb Raider did turn out to be a horror game, because it has The Descent references all over it. I'd play the poo poo out of a The Descent game.

If it was good of course.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Andrast posted:

The worst part about Tomb Raider was that the death animations weren't varied enough like in Resident Evil 4.

If you are gonna have stupid QTEs and sequences that result in instant death you should at least put some effort into the deaths.

There was some nasty body horror in RE4.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Bombcast is up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

asahdeaf posted:

It makes sense from the perspective of making the entire game seem like an uphill fight for survival, which is more or less what they were trying to go for narratively with Lara. The issue comes in when she completely trivializes every single enemy she comes across throughout the game. If they had made stealth more integral and less a very loose option, it would have made a bit more sense, but even then most of the death animations are still too uncomfortably gruesome and relegated to environmental hazards that players interact with solely through quick-time events. It sort of fits narratively but from a mechanics perspective they're unnecessary and made even more uncomfortable than the animations by themselves are.

There's just no gameplay progression. The moment you get the gun it's game over for everything in your way and the plot does not acknowledge this.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cyxx posted:

I started listening from the beginning a few months ago and they basically stopped it in the episode right after Brad/Vinny got on board and did it once. So basically it lasted about a dozen or so episodes before they stopped (Unless they started again after 2008, haven't gotten that far yet!)

It still went on in 2009, that year even has the best drink section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19PztXCml2E&t=6m50s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
I love the pre-show ads for the bombcast. Vinny and Jeff could sell me everything.

• Locked thread