Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

And yet they are way more annoying. Maybe it's because Snake doesn't multitask during codecs by walking slowly down a grey corridor nakedly covering loads in between each and every other grey corridor.

Also the fact that cutscenes in other Metal Gear Solids are usually there to introduce a new mechanic or illustrate a weird gimmick in the next room or to build the characters in some way. In Rising it's Russian guy or German guy saying the same poo poo they said the previous cutscene again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
People on the Internet's obsession with seeing that other people play dark souls is pretty much like the evil cult disc and hoop game from that one episode of star trek. Both in their uniform creepy insistence and in the incomprehensible love for what looks like a bad game from a hundred years ago.

I'm rooting for Jeff Gerstmann to never get caught and to keep on crawling through those Jeffries tubes. Big Jeffries tubes.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I'm going to blow this entire threads mind but there is actually a Dark Souls thread that you can go and talk about your Bad Game exclusively in. I know Giant Dark Bomb Souls has been doing nothing but talking about and playing this game as well, but I would like to be able to check this thread to see when it stops and the all clear is sounded. Which I hope is soon because this nuke shelter is almost out of astronaut food and fruit by the foot.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Another Person posted:

Who I am going to find who is going to want to play this with me in 2014? I don't even want to play it myself, haha. I can't wait to see what they are releasing in February to disappoint me.

If it helps Guardian of Light is unironically the best Tomb Raider game. But yeah coop probably makes that experience so befriend someone and enjoy your not particularly free game.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Nobody cares about anyones opinions on Rude Game Maker.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Did you lose a bet or is playing devil's advocate for repulsive awful poo poo something you do for fun?

He wasn't talking about Dark Souls :confused:

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Optimus Subprime posted:

No lie, the whole local multiplayer resurgence thing seems like the result of the insular culture of the industry. Outside of the long standing fighting game communities, I haven't personally played a local multiplayer games in years other than rock band.

I for one have picked up pretty much all these local multiplayer games like samurai Gunn, Nidhogg, and divekick at full price and fully enjoyed them. It's nice to play games with cool people again that aren't on mame.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Optimus Subprime posted:

I'm just saying it's pretty hard to get people together, have enough USB controllers to go around, plug my PC into a TV, etc when you're not in college.

Get a bootleg xbox wireless receiver and get a use out of all your old 360 controllers now that your Xbox is in a dumpster because it is garbage.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Dezinus posted:

Wait, you can't shoot in the new Gauntlet? What the hell. 2014, video games suck again.

The elf and wizard still shoot. The warrior and Valkyrie have melee.

Which is Bullshit.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Samurai Gunn is really good you guys.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Another Person posted:

What would a gritty reboot of the Brad Shoemaker story even entail? More Tricaster explosion effects?

Brad spoils games that don't even exist.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Also this probably means the Rift is going to get the Xbone dashboard treatment - prepare to have hella ads beamed directly to your eyeballs in full surround-o-vision.

I am also prepared to have the potential for software adoption to be more than Half Life 2 and slenderman games.

If dealing with Playstation Home but in first person Facebook-infused interfaces is the tradeoff to make sure the rift is for more than a few thousand hobbyists then that is a good thing. Besides Oculus was never going to stay independent. It's a tech company that hasn't released a single product, of course someone was going to throw a silly amount of money at it.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Crossbar posted:

I wonder what publishers even get out of mock reviews. Its way to late to actually change anything that matters. Maybe so they know how/if to spend their marketing dollars?

Mostly what to expect for a reception. No point sinking advertising on a turd.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Kasonic posted:

Some of my best RTS memories are from the Stronghold Crusader scenario where you build a big fuckoff castle and then spawn 600 Slingers to die against your impenetrable walls.

Mine from Crusader is turtling until you can recruit a cloud of two hundred horse archers and then exterminating all life forever.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Nohman posted:

Jeff likes Metroid 1, which let us all be frank is a poo poo loving game by any modern standards, over Super Metroid. He is a a dangerously insane person. See also: ANY time he talks about food.

Jeff Gerstmann doesn't like Super Metroid because he did not play it when he was thirteen which is a perfectly valid reason to not like the games that you personally played when you were thirteen.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Mu Zeta posted:

I think this is true. He seems to hate Game of Thrones, or good food, just because people like them.

If you worked next to Brad Shoemaker, known book reader and compulsive spoiler spouter, you probably wouldn't care much for game of thrones either.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Mutation posted:

What's worse:

Microsoft telling you "Hey you want another Conker? MAKE IT YOURSELF." Or the Vib Ribbon namedropping with absolutely no payoff?

Someone somewhere might want to play a new vibribbon.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Did we ever find out what the super secret thing was from that one mailbag that they wouldn't even show on camera or was it just new editor Dave Lang being shipped into the office in a crate full of his own anger

If I had to guess it would probably be those cardboard cutouts from the e3 set.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Link's Awakening is better than Link to the Past.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Who loving cares about video games journalism.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Metal Gear Rising is a poor imitation of Asura's Wrath.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The games aren't remotely the same though? That's like saying "DMC3 is a poor imitation of Dynasty Warriors".

They are both monkey cheese wacky anime cutscene games. Metal Gear Rising is not the best type of this game. It is not even the best type of this game in the Metal Gear franchise.

Also Bayonetta is only good dmc game.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What? None of that makes any sense.

Metal Gear Rising... Is a bad game... For Jerks.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Lugaloco posted:

Just finished the main story missions in Shadow of Mordor, it was never really anything special but it was at least functional. That is until the last two missions where it all falls apart in a bunch of lovely quicktime events. What the gently caress were they thinking? They had a great combat system + the Nemesis system and they just pissed it all away at the end when they could've come up with something decent.

Felt like a publisher requirement. You've got to beat up sauron because this is a lotr game and that's the only reason people would buy a lotr game. But that's okay each mission is like ten minutes long and then they dump you back out into the good part of the game.

Shadow of Mordor would be an all time classic if they just dumped that stinker of a license and created their own fiction. As it is it's just a really great game with a plot you try your best to ignore. Sort of like Borderlands.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Mondlicht posted:

I'm glad that I'm in the minority of people (seemingly) who like Brad. I'm ready to see some guinea pigs.

Brad is a likable person. It's just he gets into the gnarliest ruts with dull treadmill games and is somehow still terrible at Dota despite playing over a solid month of it.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Metal Gear Rising is the new dark souls.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

absolutely anything posted:

if you need a mod to make a game good it's a bad game

I agree dark souls is a bad game.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Or just go through as a murder machine the first time and the second time do it stealth when you have a general idea of the level layouts and guard positions.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Who cares about destiny enough to care about people caring about destiny. It is a vacuum of interest. I don't even care enough to finish this po

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Brad is loving unwatchable.

• Locked thread