Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ovaries posted:

So what's the situation with Patrick going to the CAH office? Are they located in Chicago as well? Is he just going to be working out of there from now on, or is it just a quick visit?

I think it's permanent. As far as I can understand he's basically just borrowing some of their office space because they're friends, and it's more fun than working alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Awesome Metal Gear Rising PC quick look was added to the site for tomorrow morning. It is pretty much the best game ever so good to see it get it's due.

I didn't expect them to QL it again so that's cool. I'm pretty excited to play it even though I already beat it like 5 times. It's Dark Souls all over again, though the port is thankfully a lot better.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Attention Horse posted:

Pretty cool compilation of Unprofessional Friday clips. 11:10 destroys me every time (I'M LEAVING).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzW9JB3l6yc

Oh man, which UPF was it where they played Thayer's Quest and watched the videos about that loving Halcyon thing?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Oh poo poo secret bonus guest of Jeff on the Breaking Bad. Is this the last level? I haven't played it. Breaking Brad and Souls ending the same week would be pretty nuts.

No, it's the second to last level not counting all the Valkyrie stuff which Brad will never see

Edit: If he beats this he'll beat the game, though. The last level is the easiest in the game.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 10, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is so great with Jeff. A lot of energy today.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jeff's mom sounds loving hardcore

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

He can literally just crouch and hit that skeleton when it jumps and never get hurt. Braaaaaaaad

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The boss breaking the spear on the wall isn't a problem. Better to get those hits in. If he did that the boss'd be dead by now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

drat this is a lame way to beat the boss, Brad

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dexo posted:

1. SWTOR is actually not a bad game.

It totally loving is. The decision to have everything voice acted was horribly misguided and pointless, and the MMO-pacing of the game ruins the story. It's dull as dishwater and most of the content is recycled garbage. If they cut out like 80% of the running around in huge areas doing nothing, put in the KotOR combat system and made it less grindy, maybe we'd have a decent RPG. Still not a great one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

It has to be really tough. How do you compete with established free games like Dota 2 and League?

You don't, that's why no one makes them anymore.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dexo posted:

As an MMO it's pretty good. This is someone who has played a hell of a lot of MMO's.
SWTOR is like the least grindy MMORPG ever.

The class stories all vary depending on which class you are playing as. Some are weaker than others. But I dare you to find me one MMO where It's fun to go through the leveling area's a second and third time. At least in SWTOR you can toy around with dialog options to NPC's, and get that classes main storyline.

But it sounds like you were expecting something other than another MMO, which SWTOR very much was.

I can't, because it doesn't exist. TOR included. I've played a hell of a lot of MMOs, too. "As an MMO it's pretty good" is not good enough, and that's why this poo poo is dying out. If it's not a fun game, it's not a fun game.

I wasn't expecting something other than another MMO. But that's what I got, and I still thought it was boring and bad. What I saw of the storylines was alright, but let's not forget that it's still like 10 hours of content stretched to over 100 because it's an MMO.

gently caress TOR.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is a high class video game right here

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

:laffo: this game is fantastic

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The dude who made this must be related to Ulillillia or something.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Everything I see on the Neo Geo makes me want a Neo Geo even more.

Make no mistake, if I were to ever own an arcade machine, it'd be a Neo Geo, in a heartbeat. There are so many great games that still look incredible because SNK had the best sprite artists in gaming history.

King of Fighters '98 is one of my favourite games of all time, no contest.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Americans being horrified over salty licorice is never not funny to me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Is salty licorice different from regular black licorice? Becuase black licorice is my only licorice experience and it is insanely bad.

Salty licorice is basically anything involving salmiakki. Black licorice isn't necessarily "salty", there are some sweet ones, too. Like a lot of Finnish licorice is black, but not salty at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

Listening to people talk about Rising confirms my belief that it's not my kind of jam, as someone who doesn't care about score attacks or multiple playthroughs or perfecting systems. Boo to all that.

You know you can play it on normal once just like DmC, and have a ton of fun with a really silly over the top game that has lots of great moments and isn't super demanding. Even on that level I think it's a much better experience.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ovaries posted:

Counterpoint: Brad Shoemaker is a perfectly decent human being who's probably reasonable enough to not deem people human garbage just because they're bad at video games

If I may speak for Whizbang, I don't think he means to compare Brad's stature as a human being to garbage, but that Brad is the living embodiment of what would happen if an actual pile of garbage tried to play a video game.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 11, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

randombattle posted:

Maybe I'm just not old enough to get it but C64 games all look like they were way too ambitious for what the hardware could do and just ended up being kind of poo poo. I can go back and enjoy playing through some NES games but I've once had fun with a C64 game.

I've never retained much of any fondness for that era. I grew up with C64s and Amigas, and although there are many games I can appreciate for being innovative and creative (plus great music), there aren't a whole lot I would actively go back and play today. When I got a PC all that poo poo practically went out the window.

Not that there weren't cool games, though. Like Usagi Yojimbo on C64 was basically the proto-Bushido Blade. And I played a lot of awesome games like Monkey Island and :siren:Another World:siren: on my Amiga years before I got a PC, so there were plenty of good reasons to own one at the time since PCs were so much more expensive.

Plus you literally had hundreds of games since piracy was by far the norm - I don't think I ever saw more than a handful retail Amiga games in Danish stores since there was no point in carrying them. If you had an Amiga or C64 you'd just borrow someone else's entire loving collection for a weekend and copy those goddamn floppies/tapes.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 12, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dodoman posted:

This karate game looks pretty good for a C64 game.

Jeff is right, it's way better than Karate Champ. Though I don't know why he isn't playing IK+. This game's music sucks compared to that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is what video games are all about.

A rabbit in space throwing illuminati symbols at a big shoe with an unintelligble UI that has the words "GOING NUTS" in the corner.

Edit: Yep. A level featuring skull and crossbone-symbols throwing disks and tapes at you. Biting satire.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 12, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Holy Cheese posted:

Is it my imagination or was there a Commodore that used cartridges? It's been so long I hardly remember anything from that era anymore.

Yes, the C64GS. I only saw one once, and the dude didn't have many games for it. I thought it was a really dumb thing at the time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

natlampe posted:

The normal ones also supported cartridges. I had a funky looking cartridge that helped loading (?) games if I remember correctly.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I think it was just for boot software and memory expansion like the N64, I don't know that there were any actual games for it. Though I might be wrong since I never owned one myself.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think Nier is a fantastic game (though parts of it sure are), but yeah, I never had problems with that quest. I'd be loving ashamed of myself if I turned in a review like that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I didn't really enjoy Nier very much, the storyline was very predictable and the only character I really liked was Emil. Nier himself is a very stereotypical father character and I found Kaine's personality grating even in her storyline Tyrann was better when he was called Gig in Soul Nomad. The soundtrack is ostensibly pretty good, but it's kind of ruined by the loops, especially the dungeon music since you'll be hearing it for room after room of lovely combat. Cool bosses though, and I did like the desert dungeon a lot (block puzzles that were actually kind of fun, shock and awe).

At least it was trying, which is more than you can say for most games.

How the hell is it predictable? I don't think Nier is a perfect game, but THAT'S not a complaint you can really levy against it. It's way too abstract and weird. It's like saying the ending of Dragon's Dogma is predictable.

There's an entire section where it becomes a rudimentary text adventure for no reason.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Overbite posted:

The reason for that, I think at least, is due to the final ending where you have to make the decision to save Kaine even if it means losing your life and all memories anyone has about you. Normally you, as a player, just go OK yeah I'll be the big hero and sacrifice myself without thinking because you have nothing to lose. In Nier when you choose to sacrifice yourself it means the game deletes every Nier save on your profile, even in other slots. You actually have to sacrifice something. If you went and did all of those near pointless sidemissions that were a huge pain to do it makes that decision even harder. I think it's a pretty cool.

I did every loving sidequest in that game and it didn't make it harder. I still think it was a huge mistake having all that pointless busywork in it. The game would be waaay better off if the majority of it was cut.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Because I'm Vinny

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nier is waaaay better than Deadly Premonition. Cool story, great atmosphere, fantastic soundtrack. Although I don't remember it fondly as a great gameplay experience, it is one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had over the past decade, just because of how insanely loving dark and bleak it gets.

Just don't do any of the sidequests. Or do the ones you want, but stop as soon as you get bored. There are one or two cool ones, but generally they're not worth slogging through.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Some of the sidequests are cool, like a man tells you his dog has gone missing with the medicine he needs so you need to get him some. Then I think you find the dog died trying to get it for him, and you take the medicine back but it's too late and the quest giver is dead.

WELCOME TO NIER!

Also an old woman asks you to deliver letters to her long lost love and you can either break her heart and tell her he's been dead all these years or just reply or something? I can't remember if that was optional too.

Some of the quests suck in that they are "get X amount of random drops" poo poo though.

Those are precisely the only two sidequests I remember, and the only ones worth doing, and you just said what happens in them so now no one needs to do them.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

In other trainwreck news, Maxis is adding an offline mode to SimCity. How loving crazy is the story of this dumb game

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CrushedB posted:

That's Demon's Souls.

Ohhh gawwwwd

But it's gotta be Brad, right? Vinny's beaten it already. Unless Jeff wants a go :unsmigghh:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sendo posted:

All this anime talk while Jeff is laying down his Dragonball knowledge on his mixlr.

Dragonball isn't anime, it's a way of life.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

uPen posted:

Can't we all just agree that Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 is probably going to be a lovely game and that Vinny should play through the whole thing on stream?

I hope not!

Anyway, complaining about a vampire doing vampire stuff in a horror-themed game is something I can't relate to at all. Is this going to be a thing whenever a new Aliens game comes out, too? I mean, the idea of violating your body is kind of the one and only thing that makes these things work as a horror-trope, and the whole point of making it a fictional allegory is to not trivialize something real like sexual assault.

Hey, maybe that scene is super gross, I don't know, but I would kind of hope they don't try to make you sympathize with Dracula. 'Cause you know he's loving Dracula.

Edit: To put in in another way, shock value is pretty much the entire purpose of horror to begin with.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 14, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

To me the most surprising thing is that Lords of Shadow 2 apparently has actual shocking imagery in it. I mean it's a loving Castlevania game, and you're comparing it to RapeLay.

Again, haven't seen the scene, but I definitely feel like you're trivializing something like RapeLay by comparing it to a vampire sucking blood from a woman. The scene would have to be the grossest loving thing in video game history for that to make any sense.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cityinthesea posted:

This new game takes place in that modern day setting right? They should steal the phone mechanic from that James Bond game. It would be funny to have Dracula look at a phone the entire time

I don't think it does. Or at least not all of it. I don't know, I didn't play Mirror of Fate.

I actually do have high hopes for LoS 2. I want it to be one of those scenarios where the first game was flawed, but ambitious, and on the second go it gets way more polish and refinement put into it. I'm one of the few people here who unironically likes the first game, though, so it might just be wishful thinking.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Blister posted:

Nidhogg seems like a real fun party game or something to play for half an hour with a friend, but I can see why the devs were apprehensive moving it from being just a bar or arcade game; 15 bucks seems steep for what you get :shrug: . But I could watch Brads never ending frustration trying to play it forever, especially against Vinny's run fast strats

It's such a simple game I don't understand why it took like 5 years to come out. Maybe the netcode is super awesome or something.

loving boo at the music from the original trailer seemingly not being in the game, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This just in: Banner Saga rules. Broken Age rules.

Kickstarter is alright, you guys :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

dreffen posted:

On a scale of 1 to Final Fantasy Tactics, how much does Banner Saga rule?

I was never a big fan of FFT, but it's probably not as good as that? The combat feels sluggish and doesn't explain itself very well, but I've only played through a few fights, so it's hard to tell. The atmosphere and style kicks rear end, though, and the campaign structure seems super interesting. Shades of King of Dragon Pass, definitely.

• Locked thread