Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

RedHotKick posted:

^ you'll never be good enough

Most of the guys playing at the top level were children when Warcraft III came out, and have been playing Dota for their entire trip to adulthood. I was already n0tail's age before Dota was created. :sweatdrop:

You could always get some guys and join IXDL or something. It's not going to get you sponsorships and invited to The International, but if you just like arranged games instead of pub stomps, there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mfcrocker posted:

Yet somehow very little in the way of lower level stuff, whereas there's loads of amateur leagues for TF2 :smith:

Little recurring cups are everywhere. In Europe, I know JoinDota also sometimes has an Eizo Cup and every month has BigPoint Battle. The first few rounds involve hundreds of teams. Smaller pro teams that get invited to but don't usually win the premiere tournaments in their region show up in these things too, so if you make it to the finals you probably won't face Alliance, but you may find Mouz or 4FC or Speed or something.

EDIT: Like, for instance, here's a recurring cup currently in registration mode where the 1st place prize is $800USD. Scroll down and you'll see Poseidon won the last season so even if you just want to play online for your $220 share the competition is still somewhat real at the end.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 10, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Although I know calling Bulldog best offlaner is far more controversial, I'm a little surprised Hao didn't even enter the top 3 discussion. TongFu dramatically improved their position in The International over 2012, and seemed like the only Chinese team to understand the meta the way they western teams did.

Burning is cool, but he is practically the definition of "Chinese Dota" (which itself is sort of an outdated image) as he basically has tried several times now to create a team of four guys who are good enough to hold off a five-man team on their own while he vacuums up everything in the background. Carries like Loda and Xboct are willing to drop their farm and come support the team with whatever they have. Burning's strategy is that the cavalry will come when it's drat well ready, and they stretched the absolute limits of what that could accomplish against Speed and still lost.

The current DK lineup is good enough at stemming the bleeding that it's a successful strategy more often than not, but that's relatively new.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Red Red Blue posted:

Burning has even been given a Furion solo lane a couple times to make room for the ice3 invoker pick, if you think the new DK is all about protecting him while he farms do you even watch them play? :psyduck:

Yeah, I've seen it, but it's relatively new and points more toward Burning being the carry player of 2014. In 2013 he is the guy that is best known for having farmed for 90 minutes and lost to a team that he had several chances to defeat.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nikolaos posted:

Dendi's still the obvious choice but still, even if goons hate him doesn't mean he isn't popular.

People don't like Dendi?

He and Iceiceice are my favorite Dota people.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Xboct is playing Ember Spirit on stream, if anyone cares.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
MiGGel is like the underground hipster's version of Bone7.

KnoxZone posted:

Dendi was playing Ember Spirit yesterday. It did not go well for him.

This was... Meh. At least he did make a few good escapes when he didn't manfight to the death.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is the best team.

TI4 seems like destiny now. When the millions are doled out in August, Zephyr will be on top [of Aspera and Hearts Get Together in the DNP tier].

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I kind of expect a screen that says "Unranked Matchmaking" to appear eventually.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The way eSports has worked in Korea is that salaries are very high and prize money is very low. I don't get the incentive unless you work for a Korean organization.

I could see Chinese teams doing that more and more, but they allow themselves to be controlled by ACE for some reason so who knows.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mikeraskol posted:

Isn't the incentive like, 6 posts above this one

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression StarTale/Birdgang/Whatever is more or less the dominant team in Korea and sweeps up a lot of tournaments. They're sandwiched between teams that have won a major first place recently (DK in WPC, Speed in MLG.)

If you have to place first in a bunch of Korean tournaments to make the money of winning a single MLG or a WPC or Star Ladder or Champions League or whatever, then I question if it's worth it unless you're sustaining top 2/3 placement. But if you have the whole EU scene move in, where a whole bunch of teams are really good and and teams that used to be dominant are sometimes dropping out early to teams that used to place lower, then it's basically a lot of struggling for a few morsels and everyone leaves hungry.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Huh. Well, that's quite exceptional compared to Korean Starcraft etc.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I keep waiting for a day when a casting team momentarily stops their commentary after "SILENCE!"

I know it will happen eventually, it's too quirky not to.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Draft is dumb, but if anyone can pull off weird combos with this it's NaVi.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

So basically enough time to say "gently caress this poo poo" and then disconnect. Sounds about right. :)

E: Akke has enough time to master Dota, still plays old Nintendo games, have a social life and work in an appstore start-up. For simply having a Time Machine somewhere to handle all these things, Akke always wins. And that's before we get the part where we mention that he was like the Swedish version of a Nintendo Power Champion so he basically has been competing in LANs his whole life.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 18, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Sigma actually had 6.78 Alliance cornered once before a server crash (the "thanks Finol" game) but they just haven't been able to replicate it.

Venomancer sure is an all or nothing hero.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Man, between G-League and this.... I hope you guys have a good Invoker Day weekend.

I like how you have the casters who say "ucking mad" and then you have Merlini throwing that capital F out there with heavy emphasis.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 19, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Here's that killer Dazzle mid.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm..... I'm not quite sure if [A] expected Navi to not see the Tusk Strat coming and didn't have a backup.

Seems like they sort of expected to do it again and S4 use Timbersaw, but then it glow blown up with the Tree deny-pick.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
S(4)

:(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
gently caress yo' Aegis.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dazzle: Less gimmicky than Tusk.

I'm glad we know now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taffer posted:

This game will usher in a new golden age of dazzle playing.

No such luck, first-ban material from now on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Reoxygenation posted:

So is this the final game or do you guys think we're going to a full series?

It can go either way. At WePlay, Navi played like such crap in one game that it was obvious they wanted a full series. On the other hand, it's Star Ladder, so for the sake of the reputation they might want to put boots to throats right now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taffer posted:

Na'Vi is charismatic, Alliance isn't. Na'Vi is aggressive and unpredictable, Alliance is careful and methodical.

[A] can be fun to watch when they're playing most anyone else. Part of this is because NaVi is pretty blatant about letting them win the prelim games and then coming back through the lower bracket, and it's annoying to watch a game when one side is sort of only half-trying.

The other problem is their supports help Dendi put a lot of pressure on that mid lane, and when Alliance does sick plays it is frequently because of S4. When he's getting destroyed early it just turns into a gold race between the two.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Meat Recital posted:

Probably Dreamhack in April. This is usually a slow period tournaments, in the East too as it's Chinese New Year soon. Last year had pretty much nothing of note between end of January and beginning of April.

I think NaVi is going to run another season their DailyMotion League fairly soon. They were doing qualifiers before the first season's grand final, as said final was delayed by weeks due to commitments elsewhere by those involved.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Seems like after that last Iceiceice series, everybody is now into Mek Invoker.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
He was interesting when he was being an indie caster for Star Ladder 7, doing a live podcast geared toward audio-only spectating, having to go over people's inventories and the like with more emphasis than the typical Twitch caster. It also meant he had to go crash course learn his Dota and recognize stuff.

However after SL7 even at the time he said that he had no interest in casting anything done by BTS, because they were so good already and he was basically an alternative to Sheever for people who didn't like her for whatever reasons.

That said, this thread has people who hate every single caster save these guys so who cares.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is Godz an annoying fucker? He amuses me. I know he made an Asian stereotypes crack once, but any Aussie that doesn't offend American social moralities on some level is just a dude with an accent.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mfcrocker posted:

I'm probably one of the only people in the universe who likes Tobi's casting. Absolute shitstain of a person sometimes, but fun to watch.

His quality depends on who he is paired with.

Tobi and Capitalist? Okay

Tobi and Bruno? Absolute gold.

Tobi alone? gently caress no.

Not broken up about this. They haven't been good since Syn went to casting and Link decided to go to college.

Maybe Champions League will think twice about inviting the third place finisher in their "who should take the last spot" poll and get a team like Power Rangers or EG instead.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 24, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, PR would probably do better and be one less team to create server selection issues.

In the meanwhile, Marco Fernandez is being a dick again about how he owns the 'name' Speed Gaming. Apparently he figured out how to boot Dota 2 and disband the in-game team, so they're Kaipi once more.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mfcrocker posted:

Tobi and Bruno needs to be a permanent fixture.

I didn't realize this until Tobi began to get up and leave because he was so certain that [A] would pick PL. Bruno grabbed him by the hand and gave him a Support Group Lecture that everything was going to be okay and he was certain it was going to be another hero, and then they celebrated when it turned out to be Something Else.

Casters who react to the possibility of Rat Dota like a suicide watch is in effect are my kind of casters. Even if Tobi is a creep.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, now I have to ask myself if I'm desperate enough to watch two teams worse than Zephyr.

You grab that Bloodseeker, son.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The guy who is allegedly 'co-casting' on the joindotared is doing a solid job, and is getting plenty of time to fill air between Capitalist's "wow what a play" outbursts.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Firebatgyro posted:

Lol I just checked who was casting and thats Clairvoyance. Hes a loving idiot and like the worst co-caster ever.

Ah. I just can't take whatever is going on at BTS right now. Their C-teams (Lysander, Zyori) are pretty bad. B-team wise, I can take Winter when he's working with 1437 and that's about it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Red Red Blue posted:

meme spam is absolutely hilarious

So why are you here instead of Reddit/NeoGAF/4chan?

Sorry, but Twitch chat reminds me of this board back when everybody posted image macros and All Your Base and other poo poo, before Lowtax started laying down rules actually expecting conversational English from people (and yeah, that too was considered anti-fun at the time.)

It's just a big autism convention to read. The only way to enjoy it is dive in and become autistic too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Seems like EOT has tunnel vision on the mid lane. All that vision in mid, nothing anywhere else.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

He talked a ton of poo poo about how bad the Korean Scene was and how easy games were.

I really hope they loving lose.

It's true, though.

To put it in perspective, in the last Nexon EOT is the same team that played that game against Startale where they had a Chen who picked up nothing but Wildwings, for absolutely no logical reason except maybe as a joke reference to their opponent's BIRDGANG name. Meanwhile, their Earthshaker sat right on top of the ancients camp waiting for it to respawn while Lysander explained creep spawn basics and couldn't believe what he saw. People in the last thread were laughing that it was "Purge casts a pub" bad.

So yeah, the scene is terrible enough that guys who aren't really pro (and Purge has never said he was pro) can contend. Big shocker.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
For anyone who is new, this is a sample of the EOT hilarity that I was talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

A bunch of C and D tier players thinking they can roll into a very new scene to get easy wins. Wonder why people dislike them...

Koreans are bad enough at Dota that I'm not going to worry about seeing "kekekekeke ^_________^" during The International anytime soon, and the presence or lack thereof of Zephyr isn't going to change that.

They're there because it's the only place where there's other teams at their level playing for a large sum of money. It's not like they're NaVi/DK/A good.

• Locked thread