Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Excuse me where is Team Zephyr in the OP??

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

If Lysander weren't so meme-riffic I think he could actually be a decent caster.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty sure they disbanded though, so they're kind of out of the running.

They didn't, their sponsor dropped them

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Not sure if I want to see the Naga do a Meracle-style Naga or not, because even though it was a wonder to behold it was grindy and boring Dota.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

TheRat posted:

Not entirely sure who on fnatic would play that kind of hero.

E: Hanni shadowfiend :allears:

N0tail clearly, pure michael :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Fnatic just got completely outclassed in every aspect of this series it seems: outdrafted, outlaned, outplayed

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

TheRat posted:

Id say the first two here arent very true.

You don't think the Storm/Silencer pick negated a ton of what made their Slark/Timbersaw cores good at key moments and effectively neutered them? The first draft was not as clear a win, sure, but it seemed to me pretty clear that the second one was easily in Alliance's favor.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I keep waiting for a day when a casting team momentarily stops their commentary after "SILENCE!"

I know it will happen eventually, it's too quirky not to.

Their producer should program a mixer macro to do the same abrupt silence with semi-gradual fade-in after a few seconds and just not tell the casters.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

TheQat posted:

DK often seen as a weak Dendi hero but he still has 73% winrate with it

It's not as flashy or high-impact but I don't know why anyone would ever consider it a "weak" hero for him. He's very stable as a DK (obviously given his winrate).

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

jBrereton posted:

Outside of the usual OD/Viper suggestions, how's about Juggernaut? Has a faster auto-attack, is hard to pin down, can self-heal a bit. Capable of lots of damage.

I'm probably missing a reason this is a bad idea, so someone tell me why.

He could do fine against DK but he wouldn't be able to punish DK. He doesn't harass hard enough often enough without doing significant damage to himself and even with Healing Ward you're only able to recover so much.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Majuju posted:

Alchemist is a Good Hero

We've come a long way. He was almost unquestionably the worst hero in 6.74 and was first-ban material in those AtoD matches.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Majuju posted:

Not content with his passive, Wraith King built a Vlad's.

It's goofy but Vlad's obviously does provide more than just the lifesteal aura.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Taffer posted:

BTS: LD, Merlini, and a bunch of other annoying fuckers.

Did you forget the other Davids?

Godz is really good.
Lumi is either good or great depending on whether or not you like the quirks he has, but his level of insight is still quite good and he doesn't miss much in the action.

Also I actually like Lysander on principle and just feel that if he would severely tone down the meme/twitch-chat crap that he could actually be good enough as a play by play guy, though it'd be best if he was paired with someone else to do color commentary stuff.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

On the other hand he also doesn't have nearly as good a casting voice.

Zyori is easily my least favorite caster. Lysander is actually very decent, misses little, knows roughly how things works, happens to be a bit internet-zany but I can live with that.

Surely you mean least favorite BTS caster in a world where every joindota caster exists. Also Blaze but since the whole premier league fiasco I haven't heard from him in forever.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Goetta posted:

Picking a shitload of HP works really well in pub games

Tell me they picked Necro as a counter.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Red Red Blue posted:

He seems like kind of a shitlord and isn't the best mid in the world or anything, but you can't deny that he's pretty drat good

MuffinMan posted:

But hey the kid fucks around on his own stream, guess he's a no talent rear end in a top hat!

Ease up. Everything Red Red Blue posted is true and he admit he's good.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Goetta posted:

Someone in the main Dota thread said it I think.

So entangle isn't an orb now, right? Does that mean people are going to start building Mjollnirs and poo poo on the bear or is it probably not that big of a change?

e: What the gently caress is this LD doing

Mjolnir on the bear wasn't that crazy rare anyway. The whole LD bear orb change seems like a needless change to me and it shouldn't impact drafting.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

TheRat posted:

Acording to bulldog on twitter, mjolnir proc prevented entangle proc which is quite a big deal. The new patch removed that.

Hmm, that doesn't jive with what I've learned about UAMs. I thought Ability UAMs were always checked for proc chance first and only if that UAM didn't proc were item UAMs checked.

e: oh conditional ones go first, huh

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/UAM

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

:lol: offers for beer for no kill on a lagged out Clock

:allears: Empire :allears:

e: aww Fnatic so nice

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

VANSKOR was one of my favorites when Rox.KiS was playing in the TI3 qualifiers and his Bane play has not upset, dude is legit super-good (his Rubick is even better)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

My caster takes (even though the original question was two pages ago now), roughly ranked from favorite to least favorite:

LD - best overall caster (since he does well at both PBP and commentary), analysis is almost always super on-point and he generally synergizes well with any kind of co-caster whether it be GoDz, Lumi, Merlini, Zyori - you name it. Does have a bit of the "I'M GOING TO TALK LOUD SO THIS SOUNDS IMPORTANT" thing for some stuff but partially because he doesn't really have a voice that projects so even though he may be doing it at appropriate times it does sound kind of forced. His play by play is pretty darn good anyway.

Merlini - also pretty great, and maybe the best color commentator guy. I don't think I've ever seen him have to do full play-by-play stuff so I don't have much to say here. But hey Merlini is a great player, former pro, and has fantastic game knowledge. Could work on some enunciation and general speech stuff overall.

Draskyll - the other best color commentator, and it's actually pretty close. It's kind of funny to watch him on stream and he's got kind of this streamer personality but then when he gets on a cast it's totally different, even though both are very smart about the game. Actually has one of the better sounds in the casting game as well, even though his voice isn't some Ayesee-like groomed-for-radio voice. He just speaks well and clear and at a great pace. I've seen him do some play by play and he's pretty good at that as well.

Synderen - he would be higher if he just casted more, probably. A former pro as well, great knowledge, good awareness of what's going on in the game, doesn't miss much of the relevant action.

GoDz - basically just a step down from Draskyll and Merlini. Still very good though. Actually a pretty decent play by play guy, though he does miss things on occasion.

Lysander - if he would severely tone down the twitch chat/meme poo poo, I think he could be a very good play by play guy. Has really good enthusiasm and energy and his voice is quite good and even though his English isn't super great, he's still pretty clear

Zyori - in his solo casts, I don't like him that much. When paired with LD lately, he's been better. Has a tendency to say words that don't exist like "that last engage" or "with a good initiate" (long a), and that kind of grates on me. Doesn't really do anything better than any of the above casters, except maybe his PBP which is fairly solid.

Tobi - his energy and voice are top notch. I even can get on board with some of the random sayings he throws out (not the racist/sexist ones). But he misses stuff a lot, gets stuff wrong a lot, obsesses over one thing in the game and misses other huge important things. Plus he's kind of a turd.

Ayesee - well the voice is quite something. That's about where the good stuff stops. The plays he does call in PBP sound good, but he straight up misses or gets things wrong quite often. Has an intermediate level of Dota insight at best (which improved markedly over the first 6-8 months of his casting, but has plateaued).

Included for completeness:
2GD - surprisingly pretty good, not super great at PBP but not bad on commentary. Can be very funny but can also just go off on tangents and ignore the game entirely. And somehow sometimes that's okay because it's James.
Sheever - has gotten much better surprisingly, and since she kind of embraces that she's not an expert and will usually be paired with someone who knows more (if possible, like I know bdiz did a fair amount of casts with her)
PyrionFlax - funny when paired with someone competent that can joke with him, not going to get a ton of insight
Bruno - his insight/stats are way overrated but he's okayish, he doesn't cast much and he shouldn't but it's not terrible when he does
Luminous - don't even know if he's going to do anymore casting but I always thought he was fun even though he had a tendency to goof up a lot of stuff
Capitalist - meeeeehhhhhhhhhh, not as pants-on-head stupid as Tobi can be at times, but also doesn't offer much and tends to miss things a lot and get distracted a lot
Maut - pretty decent, haven't seen him do much lately

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

NADota.jpg right here folks

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

That was how it used to work, isn't it?
Yeah, you had a flat bonus that you always got and it was doubled if nothing was in the AoE. It used to be you got 40/60/80 or 20/30/40 depending on if anyone was nearby. Now it's 40/60/80 or 0.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Just make Cloud9 play for the Euro spot and I'll love you forever. The thing where they bounce back and forth between EU and NA depending on how easy it will be to win has to stop.

They already said on their show last night that Cloud 9 would be an NA team

Look at 5:25

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Meat Recital posted:

Why does Bulldog keep putting dongs in his name?

are you asking why he's still doing it or why he's doing it at all?

because I assume it's a reference to: https://twitter.com/Arteezy/status/448575557572128768 (and the whole general Bulba statement)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

I know you hate Liquid but come on. They are seriously struggling with team issues and maybe even this patch, but Bulba and TC are really good players.

Edit: I loathe Arteezy so much, it kills me that he is so good.

I wouldn't call TC a really good player, comparatively speaking he's one of the weakest carries of the top tier teams. He's consistently decent but never really flashes either.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I'm so glad Lumi's back

"he's got tangoes, he can eat him out!"

Shane sputtering "eat him out" afterwards was pretty good too

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

VANSKOR Rubick :swoon:

Though nothing huge for him to steal like song/black hole/etc. so it won't be as flashy/fun to watch but should still be good.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ambivalent posted:

Nope.

Good one the one hand, because it means Tinker can't break your flameguard and you can keep using it to deal damage. Bad, because it means you're going to take a lot of damage from Laser instead.

Stole Exorcism, wiped rox.kis

Yeah, and his stolen impales are owning bones too. My favorite Rubick player save maybe TI2-era Dendi.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

HGH posted:

Are you allowed to make roster changes this close to the qualifiers if you're being invited?

the joke is that No Tidehunter dropped EE, became Alliance and then went on to win TI3.

If Speed/Cloud9 had won Dreamhack Winter (they weren't invited) and then did this it would have been too good.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ihki posted:

The weird part about Envy is that anime and everything life-related aside, he seems to be this pretty smart, creative player... except when he's actually playing competitive dotes, where a lot of the time he just seems to be on autopilot until the game is ending. Which I guess you could say is exactly what carries do (:owned:) but really, makes you wonder if he's playing the optimal role for him. I don't know enough to call him the weak link of C9, but I certainly see why many would think that.

He was the 5 on NTH, and didn't do great there either (would sacrifice way too much of his own EXP/farm for his teammates and would become food for the other team). I feel like he's a fine strategist but his execution and in-game decision making isn't great.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

And it's not even like tread switching would have gotten him back either, good loving job EE you idiot

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

EE buying blink on everything

possibly his only good trait :getin:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

HGH posted:

Oh wow, you can manually detonate Traps while Doomed on TA. I wouldn't have ever thought of that.

Of course, it's a spell on the trap itself.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

That stat :stare:

Teams are 616-0 with a 13k gold lead within 20 minutes. I mean, that's a fuckton of a gold lead but out of that many games you'd expect like a handful of outliers or AT LEAST ONE.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

holy poo poo I'm glad I tuned in for the C9/Alliance game even if it was late

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

that refresher coil holy poo poo

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

He's still just a baby caster but he really needs to show those graphs more often.

Baby caster? He's been doing it for well over a year and has been actually on the joinDota staff for almost half a year already. He's just not very good.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

C9's draft looks really boring and I don't see a ton of synergy. The Nyx and SD picks seem kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

magnus, son of magnus

I seriously don't get the point of the KotL here. I guess RP into a huge Illuminate?

Relocate, Chakra Magic both can be very good for an Ember

• Locked thread