Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Firebatgyro posted:

Its going to be interesting to see what changes Alliance make if they get blown up again at Starladder next weekend. At this point I'd put Navi and Fnatic as fairly heavy favorites against them, and Sigma are probably even.

I had the same feeling, but the overall post-TI3 stats don't look like there are any heavy favourites against Alliance as such. If anything I think Alliance has a very large tendency to lose games that really matter at the moment.

At any rate an update on that is that there will be no roster changes (probably wise), but that probably means position or drafting/calling responsibility changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Firebatgyro posted:

Its going to be interesting to see what changes Alliance make if they get blown up again at Starladder next weekend.

In fact, I'll call it now: They are switching EGM to the offlane, making Bulldog play support. Bulldogs offlane pool has been punished badly in 6.79, and he has trouble staying effective. EGM seems flexible and all-around excellent at the game, and a more impactful role may serve him well.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Loda just phrased an answer about team reshuffling "when EternalEnvy was removed", not the politically correct phrasing I believe we have heard before :haw:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TheRat posted:

Its been the official story for ages though?

Really? I am pretty sure the prevailing official phrasing was that EE "left". But it is sort of a tiny distinction either way.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I found the comment on Smoke not being revealed by sentries anymore rather telling and interesting. Alliance tended to be really thorough with vision, and are getting screwed up in a lot of games by support rotations. So a bit of sour grapes, but on the other hand it is true that it is slightly unsatisfactory with a big game mechanic with no real counter.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TheRat posted:

NaVi are so delightfully clowny

They are also really good at being respectful and friendly towards other teams. I really dislike when the really angry kind of competitive spirit comes across. Even joking trashtalking tends to be rather light on the jokes from many teams and players.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, Alchemist + Timbersaw the first two picks scared me a bit. I had visions of my own deaths in many games past.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TheRat posted:

Shadow shaman has been killed 7 times, but god drat hes doing some work

That has sort of been the s4 trademark; get sacrificed during laning, somehow still get work done.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I have no idea how to feel about the draft in the second game. The synergy was clearly there, but the question is if it has too high demands on execution to become a staple. Outplayed is pretty clearly the case here though, Fnatic had all the pieces they needed to win both games.

There is something to learn from game one in that Fnatics support religiously rotated and set up kills, Alliances supports ended up far better farmed, and the only one who really took a noticeable hit from the ganks was s4. Kills simply aren't worth that much in themselves, and they didn't end up disrupting Alliance enough.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Either way though, so far I enjoy the new era of Loda drafting. To be honest these seems very much like Alliance drafts of the past, I guess s4 just to some extent got a bit stuck in a certain mindset post-TI3.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Na'Vi - Alliance games are almost always stomps, they just ended up all being stomps in the same direction this time.

Alliance playing around with the drafts is fun, but I don't think it really served them that well in that series. Oh well, they had a real good run at those finals, so the doomsayers about the team can relax a bit at least :)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Going for Capitalist over on jdRed for the more relaxing approach.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I find Nyx solo offlane a bit weird. Exactly what is he supposed to do when he gets lifted? Funn1k did a great job as Nyx the other day, but overall he got nothing of any real use done in the offlane.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Also, I mean, they *do* stack, and the results is a ridiculous amount of sustain for the whole team. WK is a pretty good aura platform since he is rather unlikely to just up an die at the start of a fight.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I really really really hope that Omniknight is not really going to be in the new meta. Anyone who got bored by Naga and Tree have to realize that Omniknight has all of their fun-stopping while doing even less of any interest himself. The only good thing about Omniknight is his fantastically weird lore.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

On the other hand he also doesn't have nearly as good a casting voice.

Zyori is easily my least favorite caster. Lysander is actually very decent, misses little, knows roughly how things works, happens to be a bit internet-zany but I can live with that.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tobi has gotten a lot better at interacting with his casting partner, which is sort of a core fault a lot of casters have.

In the unmentioned but controversial casters to like, I really enjoy Pyrion Flax guestcasting. He of course knows less about DOTA than most, but he sort of plays that straight, asks questions, is interested, and often very funny about things without taking up all the space. Good for keeping the energy up during a game where there are less exciting stretches.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

My theory is that cis teams are driven insane when playing each other, being used to being the cis team themselves, an try to out-cis each other to compensate.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Does s4 ever do well with Invoker though? I have one seen two (?) games, and in neither he seemed to get much done.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wait, that combo works?! That's *insane*! If so, this is going away in 6.81, enjoy it now.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Overall, Ayesee works great whenever he has the right cocaster. EE casting himself would be sort of poo poo, but he balances out Ayesee in a great way.

HGH posted:

This Visage is beyond Godlike and manfought both Luna and Alch at the same time and almost won.
What the hell.

I played so much Visage in 6.77. You just manfought everything. That fight was sort of a shadow of the power of Visage when it was just before the pro scene really picked up on it. In fact, the DOTA thread here was on to the hero well before it became a pro staple.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Equilibrium posted:

Sheever is stacking with Puppey/Sing/2GD. This stream is destined for great things.

Yeah, this would have been helpful for us that don't bookmark random personalities twitch accounts: http://www.twitch.tv/sheevergaming

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

LD is the one caster I think everyone agrees is excellent.

Beyond that it depends a lot on combinations and tastes. Merlini, Bruno, and a lot of the pros cocasting make any cast better, as long as the main caster behaves (i.e., Merlini is too polite to talk over people who should be talked over). Tobiwan notably does well with a good cocaster (though he is pretty disliked as a person he can play-by-play with reasonable energy, and has actually gotten better at making use of his cocasters).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

Someone link this game next time the main thread goes to the "vanguard is terrible" subject, good lord. Slardar just won't die.

Vanguard has been buffed and bugfixed in a buffing way since it was the main threads favorite item to bash though. It will probably take longer for them to notice that drums are no longer universally fantastic though (for much the same reason as vanguard; not that cheap and goes nowhere late game).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The famously bad s4 Invoker coming in!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I imgine a 100-200 cost increase may be in the cards, I still rather like that though, since it still makes the blink a more universal itm than before. The heroes with huge manapools almost invariably already have cool stuff they can do, lets let your friendly neighbourhood Sand King blink around a bit :shobon:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, I think I am prepared to call it; Captains Draft is a legit fantastic mode for tournmanets. It was huge fun to see Alliance v. Liquid, and almost as much fun (and I say that only because I am biased) to see Na'Vi v. rox.KIS showing off their flexibility.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

What is the argument about?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Alliances pocket Wisp+Tree+Tusk aggressive tri coming back!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Are there D2CL vods somewhere? I missed game 2 and 3 or Alliance vs. Fnatic, but DailyMotion does not exactly make it clear if it is possible to watch after the fact.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TheRat posted:

I think I might buy tickets for this, germany isnt that far away. Hope some goons go so we can get stupidly drunk in frankfurt and have pedantic discussions over whos the worst caster :)

Yeah, I'm all over this. Good part of the year, getting to Frankfurt is naturally pretty easy, and some live dota and German beer sounds pretty good.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Meepo: situationally viable in the case where you are much better at dota than the entire other team.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah. Huskar is sort of countered by right-click, in a far more real way than any other hero, so, yeah, I think the situation where he is viable is very hard to imagine occurring. He has great lane harass, so some pieces are there, but this version of him just can't do much after laning.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

vykromond posted:

I think Meepo is pretty good these days actually but requires too much training to play at the right level so nobody wants to bother. Huskar's definitely situationally fine, the hero beats OD in lane and shits on Lone Druid so if those were still trending you'd definitely see him, but instead people are actually playing Dazzle and AA after like 6 months of both heroes being overpowered but unplayed and both of em counter Huskar pretty well (especially Dazzle) so he's not super pickable.

At any rate I am hoping for more Captains Draft tournaments simply because I think this will do more than anything for rediscovering heroes and messing with the meta. A team having success in CD with a hero they would not otherwise have picked leading into it reentering the meta is very easy to see happen.

Meepo not likely to reenter the meta this route, but just about anything else.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Na'Vi played that pretty smart really, they gave up a lot midgame, but I guess correctly predicted that the game would get easier for them later, even down a lane of rax. Ember Spirit really isn't looking that convincing, but I might be catching all the wrong games.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Puppey rather confuses the matter by first-banning Ember for the second game though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Funn1k with the flare-first clock, which I like simply because people don't expect it and it is situationally very good :)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Man, this is a crazy game. Get watching people.

By the way, did you know that Shadow Assassin is 23-7 in competetive play when she finishes a Helmet of Darkness before 11 minutes?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Who is the extra (non-native english speaking) caster on the GD stream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Ah, yes, Slark, that hero that is just a right-click chassi with no other skills relevant until late-game.

• Locked thread