Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think I'll need to see something before I make a decision, but like some folks in this thread, I'm not sold just yet. Hell, I often don't get games until after I've seen someone LP them so I know what they're worth. This may just be another one of those unless they come out with something phenomenal to impress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I always love a new LOTR game, and I'll try it regardless, but yeah that nemesis system doesn't sound like it'll do much. If anything, it would have been much better for a game with human enemies, where they really can have personalities. Like maybe if you spared a young guy who was on his first foray into combat, he might join your side, or if you let some old guy escape he might retire and become a farmer or something, and like you could talk to him at his farm or some poo poo. It's pretty pointless with orcs, because they are the most generic faceless, non-individual bad guys ever. They are all completely evil, they aren't that smart, and I can't imagine their "personalities" going beyond "this one uses a spear" or "this scarred orc prefers heavy armour".

Regardless though, I am always excited for any kind of hack and slash with good combat. Right now it feels like Witcher 2, Dark Souls, and Mount & Blade are the only ones with any replayability.

What I'm hoping they mean to do with the nemesis system is to make it so that the "bosses" you encounter are sort of generated based on your prior conflicts. So that if you were to replay the game and engage groups of orcs differently you'd have different challenges as you progress. I'm no programmer or game designer so I don't know if such a thing is really possible in a way that's impressive or fun, but I think that's what they're going for.

Also, Tolkien orcs are a little bit different than other fantasy orcs. They're just corrupted elves so while some of them are dumb brutes a lot of them are supposed to be just like the other beings of Middle-earth with different personalities and different levels of intelligence, talent and ambition. Look at Gothmog who led the orcs in the battle of Pelenor Fields or Azog in the new Hobbit movies or the Uruks who took Merry and Pippin(quoting movies cause I could never get through the books). Tolkien orcs are supposed to be more sophisticated than like Warhammer/40K orks.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Oh uh Assassin's Creed platforming. That is some cutscening when confronting orc survivors, pretty ham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl9J_ewx3Rg

E: Being possessed by a wraith apparently lets you explode incredibly frequently, which is kind of dumb.

E2: However I definitely enjoyed the whole fear and being a terrorizing visage stuff, that's what being a wraith's all about! Making orcs piss themselves in terror is really rad.

Pelican Dunderhead fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 23, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Oh uh Assassin's Creed platforming. That is some cutscening when confronting orc survivors, pretty ham.

E: Being possessed by a wraith apparently lets you explode incredibly frequently, which is kind of dumb.

E2: However I definitely enjoyed the whole fear and being a terrorizing visage stuff, that's what being a wraith's all about! Making orcs piss themselves in terror is really rad.

All those buzzwords! Still, this looks like a shitload of fun. We may never get an open-world RPG set in Middle-earth but this game looks like it could be a fun Aragorn/Legolas simulator.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

We may never get an open-world RPG set in Middle-earth

Sir you seem to have overlooked Lord of the Rings Online.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

euphronius posted:

Sir you seem to have overlooked Lord of the Rings Online.

I can't do MMOs, maaaan. :( I've had about 30 billion false starts with that game.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Yeah the lore makes no sense, and the narrator is needlessly setting up the Nemesis system to be the most disappointing thing since Skyrim's radiant quest system, but I can't deny that the actual game part looks like it could be fun as poo poo. I'll take me an AC:Middle Earth with Arkham combat, sure.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
They sold me on Read Dead in a LOTR universe. That's all I need.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Glad to see there's still work out there for cockney VAs.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Fuligin posted:

Glad to see there's still work out there for cockney VAs.

I'm pretty sure Ratbag is Steve Blum.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
The whole nemesis thing sounds like a bullshit way of saying the through-and-through scripted cutscenes can have interchangeable actors, this is like the Elder Scrolls approach to selling a non feature. If there's more to actually do than in the other rear end Creed titles then I would be up for this tho.

I know Steve Blum's name cause he shits up everything with his generic gravelly mumble but he'd actually suit an orc part :c00l:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I know Steve Blum's name cause he shits up everything with his generic gravelly mumble but he'd actually suit an orc part :c00l:

Hey now he was great as Grunt in ME2 and 3!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Hey now he was great as Grunt in ME2 and 3!

To be fair, as a Krogan, Grunt is essentially a super Klingon, who are space orcs.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Lotish posted:

To be fair, as a Krogan, Grunt is essentially a super Klingon, who are space orcs.

It aaaaaaall goes back to Tolkien.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Nemesis system actually seems simple. From what I can tell it just generates a standard hierarchy with some key figures in the Orc society, then takes some small variables like:
"Follower has met Talion" "Follower has survived Talion" to generate a logical response, that is to promote "Follower" if "Talion" is considered by "Leader" to be a large enough variable. Things in combat, such as "Leader has been burned by Talion" would also be stored as memory. I doubt it being disappointing, I think people are just overcomplicating the system.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Used correctly, it would give you reasons to let enemies get away, especially if they don't have to be dominated to be affected. I can imagine if you were playing a western and everyone who you shot that didn't die immediately remembered where they shot and behaved differently as a result, that would be cool. Like you shoot someone in the right hand during a shootout, and later you come across a guy with a bandage on that hand, and when he sees you he spazzes out and tries to draw his gun with the wrong hand, dropping it and running away. That would be funny and make you feel like a bad rear end.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Don't blame Steve for voice directors constantly telling him to use that voice. The man has range, he just rarely gets to use it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is he using broken Narsil as a dagger?

The game looks neat. Climbing looks exactly like Assassin's Creed, but sped up, and the combat exactly like the Arkham series. Neither of those things are necessarily a bad thing.
It definitely looks enticing. Any solid release date other than "2014"?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Added the video to the OP.

Game looks pretty as gently caress and looks like the combat could be some fun. It oddly bothers me that it looks like you can only use a bow in wraith mode, but that's just me being weird.

Calaveron posted:

Is he using broken Narsil as a dagger?

In another preview they said its his son's broken sword.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Like Assassin's Creed, this looks much better as a trailer than a game. I'm sure the real game will be AC: Middle Earth. Which is fine for some people but that's interesting to me gameplay wise.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

I didn't realize at first that the wraith mode has a different model, it's not just transparent blue Talion. The armor style of the wraith looks Elven to me, but I might be just seeing what I want to cause I'm super gay for Tolkien Elves.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The wraith is probably an ancient Númenórean, hence fancy armour.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Climbing looks exactly like Assassin's Creed, but sped up

Someone else seems to think so too.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/shadow-of-mordor-accused-of-using-assassins-creed-ii-code

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Shadeoses posted:

The wraith is probably an ancient Númenórean, hence fancy armour.

I didn't even notice that. It would also explain the wraith's desire to destroy Sauron's operation; he's mostly responsible for Númenór's destruction. Revenge. Revenge everywhere. Revenge with a vengeance? Lord of the Rings: Revengeance?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ That will only work if you wind up defeating Sauron by using his tower to take a swing at his eye. That should be a thing that happens.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

While a lot of the animation and features looks similar, and the game is definitely ripping off the look and feel from the AC games, I would be really surprised if Monolith had used any AC2 code in this game. That would mean one of two things - either Ubisoft has started licensing out the AC engine without telling anyone, or someone at Monolith has literally committed industrial espionage against Ubisoft. More likely - the guy is pissed that another company has made a game that looks and feels too much like his "baby".

That being said, count me as another person who's skeptical of the Nemesis system. It's promising too much, but on top of that, it's promising things that no one (except possibly some mid-level managers) really cares about. Building the whole game around it sounds like a really bad idea.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
If the Nemesis System lives up to what they describe it to be. It'll be loving awesome. Let's just hope they don't gently caress up anything else too bad.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Saw the gameplay trailer today and was impressed even if I found the wraith powers a little ridiculous, but then I remembered the poo poo that Legolas and Tauriel pulled off in Desolation of Smaug. The wraith reminds me of one of those ghosts from Return of the King.

The nemesis system is trying to be this game's "thing." With other mechanics being lifted from other games like Arkham and Assassin's Creed, I think they're worried about seeming too derivative. If the nemesis system actually does what they're saying it does, it'll be pretty cool if kind of superfluous. If the combat is tight and the world is interesting but the nemesis system is Molyneuxed up, no real harm done because it was still superfluous.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

poptart_fairy posted:

If this is taking inspiration from the Arkham series then it needs to take after Arkham Origins in that random goons will loudly, repeatedly, declare how stupid and unbelievable the concept of the main character is. Then you drop in on them. :getin:

Haven't you read the thread? They already are.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

Oh God, while this sounds fun, it also sounds lore butchering enough to make my inner nerf cry with impotent rage.

Before I play this game I am going to sit down and carefully forget everything I know about the Lord of the Rings. I will pretend that this is an entirely new setting I know nothing about.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All I ever wanted from a Middle Earth game was a MERP treatment in the way the late 90s, early aught D&D games were designed. LotR Online aside, I don't understand why lore rich universes are turned into generic action games. You'd think the target audience for something like this would be the RPG crowd and even Game of Thrones got it right despite being an average game itself.

Schubalts posted:

Don't blame Steve for voice directors constantly telling him to use that voice. The man has range, he just rarely gets to use it.

Speaking of which (turn down your speakers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSuRa3BrvZY

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

AngryBooch posted:

The nemesis system is trying to be this game's "thing." With other mechanics being lifted from other games like Arkham and Assassin's Creed, I think they're worried about seeming too derivative. If the nemesis system actually does what they're saying it does, it'll be pretty cool if kind of superfluous. If the combat is tight and the world is interesting but the nemesis system is Molyneuxed up, no real harm done because it was still superfluous.

I'm in the same boat, here. Assassin's Creed and Arkham gameplay in Tolkien's Middle-Earth could well be a match made in heaven.

Other than most, I am cautiously optimistic about the Nemesis system. Yes, it's technically little more than a 'procedural' boss generator, but if used properly, it can actually generate some memorable bosses for you to live and let live. Wait and see, I guess.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The nemesis system will be hilarious once you reach the usual critical mass in sandbox games where you ignore random encounters to go do missions. Cue 200 orc warlords, all scarred by the threads of your might boots of blinding speed.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

They could have just gone full-on TIE Fighter and let you be an actual nazgul. They don't really have backstories (except the Witch King) so you could probably get away with it.

Shoehorn some poo poo in about terrorising Orcs to make them more productive and you can get away with kicking the poo poo out of your own team?

Bit too late to have it focused outside of Mordor and along the eastern Anduin/Morgul Vale and Gondor. Also not in the right time period.

fake edit: basically I'm talking a load of poo poo but I'd prefer that to some New Special Guy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This is one of the worst ideas for a game I've ever heard. It feels like the whole concept was thought up by 90s Rob Liefeld. I can't understand how anyone is looking forward to this.

Here's my prediction: this game is going to be Colonial Marines level of bad.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

ymgve posted:

While a lot of the animation and features looks similar, and the game is definitely ripping off the look and feel from the AC games, I would be really surprised if Monolith had used any AC2 code in this game.

I think they might just be. Also the little rungs you can hang on are the same model as AC2 as well

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

That loving Sned posted:

What are the best Lord of the Rings games? I heard that the recent LEGO one is really good, but there have also been plenty of good ones before.

War in the North was loving amazing for a LotR game and I play through it every few months because chopping off goblin limbs is fun as hell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The LOTR lore is stupid but the property is worth money.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Can somebody tell me what the problem with the lore is? Keep in mind that i am a normal person and haven't read the Silmarillion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

A Tartan Tory posted:

People return from the dead all the time in LOTR, the problem is...a wraith? Really? Why not just have him become a maiar or something, even that sounds a bit more plausible than a bloody wraith.

Resurrected by a wraith is far, far less lore-breaking than having some random Ranger 'become a maiar'.

Game looks pretty rad.

• Locked thread