Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
The directing on this was fantastic, I love Fukunaga's style. See Sin Nombre if you haven't.

Not totally sold on the story, but both leads were great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Really dug it. Nice dark vibe. Has Silence of the Lambs feel with a dash of Lynch.

Lets see where it goes.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I guess Lange was a Robert W. Chambers / King in Yellow fan, or this is going to get a hell of a lot more eerie. Here's shots of her diary from that teaser for the next episode:

Along the shore the cloud waves break,
The twin suns sink behind the lake,
The shadows lengthen

In Carcosa.

Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is

Lost Carcosa.

Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

Song of my soul, my voice is dead,
Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed
Shall dry and die in

Lost Carcosa.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Kaizer88 posted:

Cool show. I'm betting the detective's later falling out is over Rust banging Martin's wife, after she finds out about Martin banging that lawyer woman depositing papers.

Didn't they work together for 6 1/2 years after the Lang case closed? Unless Martin's affair goes on for a long time/there's a massively delayed reveal of Rust sleeping with the wife I doubt that's the catalyst.

That said, they're almost certain to do some major time skipping to show the reason for their falling-out, so who knows.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That wife/secretary swap prediction seems really unlikely and random to me. There are endless unknown reasons why they could have had a falling out, not even taking into account that mcconaughey's character is a kind of crazy and a hardcore alcoholic. Also that would be the cheesiest thing to waste time on considering there is only 8 episodes.Having some infidelity subplot sounds terrible.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Having some infidelity subplot sounds terrible.

There's already one started. The girl with the documents meeting Martin must have been there for a reason.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

Wandle Cax posted:

There's already one started. The girl with the documents meeting Martin must have been there for a reason.

Unless that was totally something else and it was just misdirection but, yeah, that seemed like a pretty obvious setup of an affair plot line. Also, the scene showing Martin's wife very clearly sleeping alone even though Martin was home seemed, to me anyway, to not be saying the stereotypical "case is getting to him" but that there was something amiss in the household. Of course I could have totally misread that as well.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

She'll be there as a love interest/chance at redemption for Rust.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Le Woad posted:

Unless that was totally something else and it was just misdirection but, yeah, that seemed like a pretty obvious setup of an affair plot line. Also, the scene showing Martin's wife very clearly sleeping alone even though Martin was home seemed, to me anyway, to not be saying the stereotypical "case is getting to him" but that there was something amiss in the household. Of course I could have totally misread that as well.

You guys might be right that they are setting up an affair plot line. I don't know what they are going to do with that secretary(?) character to be honest. I didn't read much into him sleeping in the chair beyond him getting drunk and passing out, because the case was loving with him though. His wife seemed surprised to find him there in the morning and he fell asleep with his suit on/was drinking whiskey in the previous scene, so I didn't take it as a regular occurrence or an indication that he was avoiding sleeping next to his wife.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spoilers for Episode Two

The lawyer girl is there for Woody Harroldsons character to bang.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Alexandra Daddario goes fully nude (no body double) in the next episode. She's a good egg.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Gonz posted:

Alexandra Daddario goes fully nude (no body double) in the next episode. She's a good egg.

They promised us nudity, and it better not be just corpse nudity!

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

ShutteredIn posted:

The directing on this was fantastic, I love Fukunaga's style. See Sin Nombre if you haven't.

Not totally sold on the story, but both leads were great too.

There were some really nice shots in there. I liked when the camera panned from behind the interview camera when Cohle stood up to "go for a beer run" and went out of frame.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

pixelbaron posted:

I guess Lange was a Robert W. Chambers / King in Yellow fan, or this is going to get a hell of a lot more eerie. Here's shots of her diary from that teaser for the next episode:

Along the shore the cloud waves break,
The twin suns sink behind the lake,
The shadows lengthen

In Carcosa.

Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is

Lost Carcosa.

Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

Song of my soul, my voice is dead,
Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed
Shall dry and die in

Lost Carcosa.

Holy gently caress. The "king" whats-her-corpse met has fashioned himself after the King in Yellow?!?? As if I wasn't already hooked. "No mask? No mask!" I'm freaked out already.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Could you explain what's exciting about that? I'm not familiar with The King in Yellow.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

This is incredible.

Filing McConaughey's character under the dark jaded detective trope is an insult to both the actor and the script. He's playing an insane person.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Rust seems to think he's living in a noir film, while Woody is telling him everyone else just thinks you're a loving weirdo.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I can't remember the last time I was this anxious for the next episode of a TV show after just watching the pilot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The way they handled the 15 year gap in regards to the actors appearances was really impressive. Both of them looked really convincingly older/younger with some light make up and hairstyle changes. Old matthew mcconaughey looks loving depressing.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I really wanted to not like Cohle's melodramatic weirdness but McConaughey is pulling it off.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Peta posted:

This is incredible.

Filing McConaughey's character under the dark jaded detective trope is an insult to both the actor and the script. He's playing an insane person.

Why can't it be both? If filing means insulting the script, I have no problem with it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bathroom sounds posted:

I really wanted to not like Cohle's melodramatic weirdness but McConaughey is pulling it off.

Harrelson's constant "Dude you're a loving weirdo, shut up" makes it work for me.

What was tha tone line McC had? "I can taste the psychosphere" and Woody rolled his eyes and barked at him. I wasn't sure if it was meant to be funny, but it was.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

LmaoTheKid posted:

Harrelson's constant "Dude you're a loving weirdo, shut up" makes it work for me.

What was tha tone line McC had? "I can taste the psychosphere" and Woody rolled his eyes and barked at him. I wasn't sure if it was meant to be funny, but it was.

It thought it was "the psycho's fear"?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

JayMax posted:

It thought it was "the psycho's fear"?

Either way, it's still funny.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
FWIW the subtitles said "psychosphere," and then "psycho's fear" when Harrelson quoted him later.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Criminal Minded posted:

FWIW the subtitles said "psychosphere," and then "psycho's fear" when Harrelson quoted him later.

This makes sense. I like that Woody's interpretation is actually less weird than what Rust actually said.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Anyone here read any Daniel Woodrell (wrote Winter's Bone)? This show is like one of his books come to life, its making me so happy.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Drewsky posted:

Could you explain what's exciting about that? I'm not familiar with The King in Yellow.

The King in Yellow is a fictional play that is a common element in a collection of horror stories by Robert W. Chambers. Excerpts from the play are sprinkled throughout the stories and reading the entire play drives the characters in the stories to insanity. From what I remember, the plot of the play involves the city of Carcosa being destroyed for its decadence by a supernatural something known as the King in Yellow.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 17, 2014

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, I've been reading critiques that point towards this being a stereotypical gritty serial killer cop drama. I disagree, given the first episode. Instead, this is probably going to be a deconstruction of that genre, especially given the format of the show. I think that they're going to start with the prototypical detective story (stylized serial killer), deconstruct it, destroy it, and then continue on from there. That's what I hope, anyway. This has been, sort of, supported by the first episode where all of the ridiculous Nolan-esque poo poo that Rust says in the first episode is denounced by his far more believable partner. The series is playing with two archetypes of fantasy cop (gritty philosopher, and down to earth realist), and we're going to see some pretty cool poo poo happen between the two (especially since their interview sessions have been diametrically opposed to each other by the director).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Drewsky posted:

The creator of the King in Yellow is basically only known because H. P. Lovecraft cited him as an influenced and referenced his work a few times. He produced only one major work of horror, and other wise spent his time writing fairly successful historical romances.

He's basically a Cthulhu deep cut. Nerds are particularly attached because The King in Yellow has been used in a number of Call of Cthulhu scenarios, one of which was adapted in to a text adventure called "The King of Rags and Patches" or something similar. His big hook is the viral propagation of the mind destroying Yellow Sign, hence the ominous catchphrase "Have you seen the yellow sign?" , which hooks into the current, or more accurately the early 00's, Zeitgeist about Memes.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 17, 2014

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Didn't the convict boyfriend say the girl from 95 was becoming a nun because she met a king?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LmaoTheKid posted:

Didn't the convict boyfriend say the girl from 95 was becoming a nun because she met a king?

Pretty much, yeah. Crazy poo poo that doesn't make any sense. Rust himself also spouts off some very Lovecraftaian ideas about humanity (that humanity isn't special, that we're just a mistake, monkeys thinking they're civilized, etc.). As well as the way that he actually talks too in that excessive, nihilistic, purple-prose sort of way. Frankly, I'd be surprised if it turns out to be a typical cop/serial-killer drama.

And I don't think it's going to be anything supernatural, but more of an approach thematically. I'm really looking forward to seeing more. Though, I wouldn't complain if it went the horror route but not in excess. Something just barely under the surface. Maybe it is what Rust caught a glimpse of or something and caused their falling out. But it is far, far too early to tell.

Peta posted:

This is incredible.

Yeah, also fits the Lovecraft trope of a person who has seen too much of the horrible truth of the universe and lost his loving mind.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 17, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

My two favorite moments were when Harrelson said something like, "if you attach something small to a case you bend the narrative to fit it" which is a critique of cliche detective shows and "Then start asking the right loving questions." What an awesome ending. Such a cerebral, slow burn but I'm loving that first ep.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Dont understand why we have so many bad shows getting thousands of posts in this forum, while this amazing show get like 1 every week :(

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Well it's only the second episode and I'm not posting mainly so I can pay attention while it's airing.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Yeah this is kind of one of those shows that keep you glued to the screen and you don't want to post during it. That's my take anyways.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm waiting to watch it later

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They actually put it up against NFL playoffs? Juevos, man.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Really liking this so far. Definitely liked Mcconaughey more than Harrelson this episode, especially after learning more about his past. It's slow going, but it's getting more interesting, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The cinematographers really love the Louisiana sky.

• Locked thread