Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

Adam halts in the middle of drinking his coffee, lowers his mug, and stares at Wisdom with a neutral expression. Then he simply returns to drinking his coffee peacefully, looking out the window once more.

"Scared, sure," he mutters over the rim of the mug, allowing himself a dark chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Pete Wisdom

Pete returned Forge's glare with a grin and took another drag of his cigarette. He'd been enjoying needling Forge over the past week almost as much as Forge seemed to enjoy despising Pete. He'd always enjoyed a good measuring contest.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

Training mechanisms, the Professor had asked for. Something to put the team through their paces, really test the limits of their powers, do the things that regular and makeshift equipment could not. Prepare everyone for the sorts of fights that Peewee would be gleefully getting them into.

Electric shocks would be good. Lots and lots of specifically targeted electric shocks, administered at random intervals. That should test some limits, all right.

He smiles to himself and takes a long drink of perfect coffee, finally setting down the empty mug on the side table and turning to leave. "C'mon, kids, let's go say hello," he says, stretching his arms and cracking his knuckles at the same time. He absent-mindedly pats his pocket on the way out, reassuring himself. Still there... good. Might come in handy, if things went as well as last time.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Once outside and functioning as something of a welcoming party, the X-Men find a few of the Brotherhood there - Magneto, his son and daughter, Mystique and that big ball of body hair and anger issues, Sabertooth. Four subtle knives and a broadsword just to show there's that variation on a theme. There's no station wagon here, the Brotherhood instead choosing to drive around in a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud.

Creed stretched to his full six foot six height, those bones and muscles popping as he got out from the cramped space. He seemed to snarl as he breathed in a deep breath of air and there was a lingering feeling in peoples minds - I thought mutants were meant to be, you know, more evolved rather than Neanderthal balls of muscle. Pietro moved around to the other side of the car to help his sister out, holding her hand as she stood. They were almost as skinny as each other; Pietro's platinum markedly different from his sisters darker, more Eastern appearance. Wanda. Wanda was the read risk out of the two of Magneto's children - sharp as a knife, powerful and utterly unaware of just how deep the reserves of might she had in her went.

Then there was Eric. Magneto. The leader of the Brotherhood. Always in that ridiculous helmet. Supposedly it meant that Xavier couldn't look into his mind. He looked up at the gathered X-Men and gave a little laugh to himself. He looked older than his thirty some years but, then again, considering what he'd gone through he looked incredible. Went gray early on, just like his son. Dark red shirt under that black suit. He glanced over at Rogue.

"Little girl lost has found a new home, hm?" he said, walking up to the stairs. He stood at the bottom. "Well? Aren't you going to invite us in?"

Sion fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 18, 2014

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

Pete waved Magneto off a bit casually, "All the same, Erik, I think we'd like to do this outside. Lovely day like this, be a shame not to enjoy it." Then Pete pointed a thumb to Sabertooth. "Besides, I'm not convinced he's housebroken yet. So, what brings you to our humble home today?" He intentionally puts on an air of playful confidence, but this wasn't like New Jersey where the worst they had to worry about was a bunch of shotgun wielding hicks - this was the real thing, here. He flexed his fingers a bit subconsciously, fighting back the urge to whip out his hot knives and start launching blasts of heat at the enemy.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Rogue
Anna seems to be suffering a bit of confused shock. "W-what are you doing here?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"Ah, Mister Wisdom," said Eric as he started to climb the stairs. "Is that accent your mutation? Rather a step backwards for the species, don't you think?" he said before clearing his throat. The Brotherhood and the X-Men had never had openly hostile relations - the warpath was there, sure, and there would be trouble down the line because the ideologies just didn't line up but, right now, there wasn't anything violent between the groups. He smiled at Anna. "We're just here to see your new father figure."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

"You've spent too much times among the septics, mate. Must not used to hearing someone use the language properly." He grinned playfully and clapped his hands together a bit, indicating it was time for business. "Well, I'm sure the Professor will be more than delighted to speak with you. We'll go inside and fetch him, if you lot would like to wait out here and enjoy the scenery." He looked to his comrades briefly, waiting for them to decide whether to come in and fetch Xavier, or wait out here to entertain their...guests. Pete always had the feeling that the Brotherhood was one step away from open warfare, and he really didn't want them inside with the students.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"Septics? I'm lookin' around and I'm only seein' one thing that's full of sh-"

"Creed," said Magneto, turning his head to his burly companion.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

Adam rolls his eyes in exasperation. It was going to be - somewhat ironically - an over-abundance of Wisdom that would end up making people act like fools.

He turns to Anna and gives her a reassuring smile, hoping that the limey loudmouth's presence wasn't stressing her out too much. It was one thing to wind up confronting the crowd you used to run with, he imagined, and quite another to do so with someone deliberately trying to rile them up.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Rogue
Anna manages to get out "Yeah, you go get Xavier" as she nods towards the mansion.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit
Team d6, 2 PP, 2 xp

Remy leaned his body in the frame of the door, making a not-so-subtle message about how welcome their guests were. "Prof's on his way," he said, looking over at the Brotherhood, "but it's his house, so it'd be a bit rude of us to invite you in for him, no?" Remy sat down at the top of the stairs, resting his chin on a hand mock-thoughtfully. "Maybe he just invites Magneto in, and the rest of you get to stew outside?"

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

Pete nods to the rest of the team, glad that they are willing to stay and watch the Brotherhood, though he was expecting Rogue to want to take the opportunity to get away. Good on her. Pete raised an index finger to Magneto, "Back in a flash, Erik. Won't take but a moment." With that, Pete turned and entered the mansion. Finding the Professor already on his way, he appraises him of the situation. "Magneto wants to speak with you, tried to invite himself and his crew right on in. We've got them stuck stewing on the lawn for now, but who knows who long that lasts. Rogue is shaken but holding, the others seem fine though Forge is nervous about being the only one who doesn't have the power to blow up a building by passing gas. What's your play, then?"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Molly
Team d8, 1PP, 3XP

Molly is hiding just inside the entry to the mansion, listening and occasionally glancing past Remy at the exchange between these criminal mutants and her teachers and team. She is, at this moment, not entirely sure if she's shaking because she's terrified, or because her hearts beating a staccato rhythm as adrenaline floods her body. Either way she's determined to standby in case she can use her gifts to help her friends.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"Same as it always is, Mister Wisdom," said Charles as he walked to the front door. "We do what we must."

Xavier had a newspaper under his right arm and a purposeful gait. He could turn from avuncular to stone faced in a matter of seconds. How much of that was just him using those powers of his in a passive manner wasn't known but there had to be some of it there. How could you have the power to control men's minds and not use it to control their actions? He didn't stop and he didn't move his lips as he glanced at Molly, the words appearing to have been said only to her. "Molly, so long as you are in this house, you are safe. You are with friends and there is nothing that will harm you. Don't be scared."

He turned his shoulder into the packed out door frame and slipped between Remmy and Anna. He wasn't afraid of anything, but there wasn't a cocky bravado here. "Erik," said the Professor.

"Charles," replied Erik. He cleared his throat. "I heard that you were making deals with an arms manufacturer. Interesting choice of bedfellows," said the white haired man. "There's another arms dealer that's recently taken on a government contract," he said with a nod and a wolfish grin. "A man named Bolivar Trask has developed a mutant killing machine. They're called Sentinels and the government are going to deploy them to all major political and public events." He kept that smile plastered on his face. "I thought you'd spoken to the President. I thought you'd made friends with him enough to have him not devise new engines of our destruction. Perhaps you could try a little harder?"

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom
Solo d10, 1 PP

Pete walks back outside with the Professor, watching the confrontation intently. As he hears what Erik has to say, though, Pete slips back inside. He looks to Molly briefly as he passes and whispers, "I've got some calls to make, love. Please call for me if any fun starts out there - I don't want to miss it..." With that, Pete rushes down the hall to the phone, pulling at his tie to loosen it as he prepares to call in some favors for information. First, let's call Alistaire. Dialing in the incredibly secret number for W.H.O., which was now the tech branch of the parent department MI:13, he waits for an answer, and asks for The Doctor, waiting for Alistaire Stuart to answer the line.

I'm going to try and use my Covert Master specialty to dig up some info on the Sentinels and see if I can verify Magneto's information, and hopefully find out more details that he wouldn't know. I'm going to place a call to Alistaire Stuart, the shameless Doctor Who reference of the Marvel Universe and MI:13's tech expert. My dice pool is going to be 1d10 Solo, 1d8 For Queen, Country and the Mutant Race, 1d10 Covert Master. Making some calls: 1d8 7 1d10 2 1d10 4. Winds up as an 11 with a d10 effect.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

The Brigadier answered the phone after a few moments of Edith attempting to connect. "I was about to head home for the day, Pete. You need to keep track of your time difference better." He waits for a moment, listening to the secret agent giving over his story before scoffing a laugh.

"Mutant killing machines?" Pete could see the Brig's eyebrow rising, just through tone of voice. "Are you havin' a laugh with me or has that mutation of your finally infected your brain?" It'd been impossible to convince Stuart that mutations weren't infectious. You'd bought him a pint, drunk from it and then handed it to him but this had only made the situation worse. You'd ruined a perfectly good IPA with your tomfoolery. "Look, there was some research done by Jerry in the forties in machines that could select people based on traits but that stuff was carried out by... Wolfgang Strucker, but he was a few bricks shy of a full load even by the fairly low standards that the Reichstag had back then." There's a pause, the sound of a filing cabinet opening. There's a longer pause. "Strucker's dead too. Killed in his lab by- Fireteam Charlie, commanded by Donald Trask."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

Adam rocks back and forth on his heels, feeling each awkward second tick past with agonizing slowness. He claps his hands together and smiles in near-desperation at the remaining Brotherhood members.

"So! Whereabouts you guys from? Because, uh, I may have passed through there at some point in time." He clears his throat and looks to the others for a moment, before turning back to the Brotherhood. "I could make us some coffee? Anyone here like coffee?"

Indulging in my untrained social skills for some smooth small talk.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"Are you the one that doesn't want to accept they're a mutant?" asked the skinny, white haired man. He wasn't much older than Joshua was but he had that weird, wild eyed intensity of someone that was thinking a million thoughts a minute. "Really, it's a shame that you're so... hesitant to speak up about yourself. Is that really what it takes to join the X-Men?" he said. "A lack of pride in who you are? A self imposed overcoat of normality?" He looked to Anna. "Is this really what you want? To hide here in this little house with these little people?"

Sorry for not posting, I burnt the poo poo out of my hand and it hurt to type until pretty recently.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

"I'm the guy who didn't think he had any powers," says Adam levelly, not wanting to start anything, regardless of whether or not it made him seem like a pushover. There was still that reassuring weight in his pocket, anyway. "But the other day I mixed up a formula for rocket fuel without knowing a lick about what I was doing, so I'm starting to come around to the idea I might have a little something extra at work here. Might not be as showy as what other people might do, but is that really the point?"

He folds his arms and lifts his chin slightly. He was a little worried to hear Anna's response, if she had any, but wasn't about to answer for her. She was welcome to hide behind him, but he wasn't about to step in front of her. Not unless there was any real danger.

Activating my Dad-level powers for stern fatherly care.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Rogue
Anna snaps out of her fugue at hearing Quicksilver and laughs a little. He always seemed at least a little ridiculous to her when he got this way. "You really are too fast at everything aren't ya? Even judging other people."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

There's a slight sense of hurt male pride from Quicksilver. A snort of laughter from Creed who personifies the strange, beastial alpha male. "Anna," he said with a little nod of his head and a grunt.

It struck as strange that the professor and Magneto had gone silent. Then folk realised that they were still talking, the two of them recounting stories to each other, trying to hammer out details of things. It seemed that there would always be some things that the entire team couldn't be allowed in on.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

Remy stretched out in seated position, leaning up against a nearby wall. He caught Wanda's eye and flashed her his best grin (Grin #6). "Not all of you think we're so boring, I hope," he said to absolutely nobody in particular. "Get to all kinds of fun around here, I tell you."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

Wisdom frowns at the news from the Brig. "Trask, eh? Don't suppose he's got family by the rather conspicuous name of Bolivar, does he? Because that's the bloke claiming this machine as his own." As Pete worked he poured himself a scotch from a nearby decanter. That should teach the Professor to leave booze around unlocked while not in the house. He sipped the scotch and continued. "Don't suppose some of these files might be found at the Embassy? Or do you have any notes on the specs of these supposed murderbots? Any info on how they were controlled, or how they were made?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"How dreadful," replied Wanda, looking up at Gambit.

"You're thinking that his dad nabbed some Nazi technology and passed it over? All that I've got here is information on how they identified people based on-" there was a pause from the other end of the phone from Pete. "Racial markers. Christ, this was something to make the holocaust go a little smoother. Pete, what've you found over there, mate?"

Finally, after what felt like too long, the Professor snapped back to reality. "Suit up. We're going to pay a visit to Trask Industries," he said. "Erik has decided that it would be better if we visited there ahead of his group. We'll be taking one of his people with us. Either Victor, Pietro or Wanda..." he looked at Anna. "Who would you suggest?"

Sion fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 1, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Molly

As the tension seems to ease a bit with the Professor's words, Molly's heartbeat starts slowing back to normal.

"Far Out! I'll go get suited up!" She exclaims before shooting up the steps and into her dorm room.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

Pete sips the scotch calmly. "Same poo poo, different country, Brig. Apparently baby boy Trask wants to re-purpose these things to kill mutants now. If you want to make a bet on what could possibly go wrong with that plan, I'll match it." He took a deep breath and sighed. "I appreciate the info, Brig. You're a good egg. I suspect that I'll be paying a visit to Mr. Trask's factory in the near future. Any further advice or intel for me?"

Still waiting on confirmation of whether my resource creation worked or whether my roll sucked too much.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

With the question posed to Anna, Gambit looked back over his shoulder at her and wiggled his eyebrows. She knew who HIS vote was for...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

"I'd be all for taking two of 'em and leaving one of us behind, although I can't say I'm fond of Slim over there." Adam gives a broad shrug. "I figure I'm gonna have to be the one looking at these machines, though, so I'm leaning towards the big fella. Seems to me like he'd be good at keeping trouble at bay. But it's not like we're low on bruisers, are we?"

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Rogue
Anna thinks for a moment. "We may need to quickly cut things open in a...less than explosive way so Victor seems like our best bet in case things are heat resistant."

Kylra fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 4, 2014

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

The Brig cleared his throat. "You know I don't put much stock in the whole mutation thing, Peter, but are you really sure it's wise walking into a factory where they make machines that kill mutants? Maybe visit their head office or something? They're down in Norfolk. Norfolk, Virginia, rather than proper Norfolk. They might have a few show models there but if you're going for answers, maybe don't go to the showroom for the things that are made an' built to kill you?" he said. He didn't seem to know anything about the design of the actual machines. It made sense for there to be some kind of computational device in there, some kind of 'sniffer' device that could tell people apart, maybe some kind of gun and a few Rolls Royce engines to power the bloody thing but other than that, there was nothing to go on. The Brig isn't someone that's useful for their knowledge of making killing machines. They tend to be more about gateways to Albion.

Creed gave a grin that made him look like a shark that's spotted a surfer. "I knew you'd see sense sooner or later, girl," he said before taking a few steps over to the X-men. As he moved in, it became apparent that it wasn't actually a trick of perspective and he actually way that big. His size is augmented by having a big ol' tan duster jacket that's ripped over the shoulders. Silvery looking fingernails, dirty blonde hair, dark eyes and weather beaten skin. "Call me Sabertooth."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

"If I offer you a handshake, can I be sure you won't squeeze too hard?" Adam asks, trying to be the diplomatic face of the X-Men once again. "I know that we and you aren't seeing... eye-to-eye on few matters, but I'm pretty sure we can put differences aside for the common good at least this once. Right?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Creed looked down at Adam and held out a hand to shake. It was a little like grabbin' a handful of sandpaper and going from there. He looked over at the Professor and cleared his throat. "So are you all gone hop in your station wagon and drive a few hundred miles to Virginia?" he asked, stuffing his hands back in his pockets, the fabric there mostly ragged and sliced up. He didn't seem like he wanted to talk politics all that much - Anna knew his position and she knew that Creed was not a nice man. He was probably the most directly nasty of the Brotherhood she'd had the misfortune to encounter; big, broad, astonishingly strong and with a cruel streak that was matched only by his ability to visit it upon others. Still, he had a soldiers mentality - you told him where to go, what to do when he got there, he'd ignore your politics and get the job done. Had to be something admirable in that...

Xavier smiled and shook his head. "Our friend Mister Stark has seen fit to give our travel arrangements an upgrade," he said. "Suit up."

It was a full hour later, once everyone was prepped and ready. The whole group was gathered and had, once again, been forced into wearing the uniform. Creed hadn't commented on them because he seemed to understand why they wore them. They were armored now too, rather than just being standard leather fabric. They wouldn't stop a bullet, sure, but they might deflect a knife. Rumor about Creed was that he didn't tend to try and dodge things and just took the beating since he healed up fast. The X-Men arrived at the airport, stationwagon and motorcycles having done most of the heavy lifting to get them there. They rounded the corner, the sky overhead beautiful and blue an' stretching for miles. Westchester County Airport had only just been changed over from a military airport to a commercial one and it was still being set up. The terminal was a construction site but there were a few hangers left lying around, unoccupied and empty apart from one that came into view slowly. It was a buzz of activity, men in silver jumpsuits and work clothes moving in and out of it.

The sign on the top of the hanger read 'STARK INDUSTRIES', the blue text italicised and blocky, a slash running through it. This is what money could buy you it seemed; this is what real money could buy.

They buzzed around this... thing. Good God, what kind of an aircraft is that? It looked- it looked like something from the future. Black as pitch, hugely long from nose to tail with a spear sticking out the end of it. It was squat looking though, like someone had crushed it down and spread it out wide. Two huge wings with two huge jets mounted inside them, vast cylinders with cones sticking out the front of them and fins atop them. The closer they got, the stranger it looked; panels that didn't quite fit together, red lines painted over the wings, a pilot and a co-pilot stack on-top of each other but offset by a couple of feet.

The X-Men approached and found a tall, crew-cut'd, clean shaven black man standing there, clipboard in hands, walking around the craft. He looked over at the mutants as they arrived. "Colonel James Rhodes, United States Air Force, on secondment to Stark Industries reporting." He slips the clipboard under his right arm, seemingly happy with his checklist. Careful eyes will notice the name of the jet written on the top of the paper.

Blackbird.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

Remy looked at the jet as a smile crept to the corner of his mouth. It was quite a bit more impressive to see in person than it was to see while you were going through papers trying to find the right ones to steal. "I take it that next year's plane isn't news to you, then?" He asked Rhodes.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Rogue
Anna stares at it taking it in then asks, "So what are we looking at here exactly? You know, besides it being a jet."

Kylra fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 5, 2014

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Rhodes grinned and nodded. "This is a Stark Industries and Lockheed team up," he said, turning around on the spot to face the jet. There were some stairs being wheeled over to it by a couple of minions. "Fastest bird I've ever flown," he said with a little nod. "It's not ready for use by the military and other than the prototype this is the only one in the world so we'll probably be goin' easy on her. Her name's Blackbird and if what's on paper about her is true then she can almost leave Earth's atmosphere an' any missile lock on is dealt with by just putting your foot on the floor and leaving it in your wake."

He cleared his throat. "I'll be your pilot for the foreseeable future too. You ever flown before?"

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Rogue
"In a manner of speaking."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

"What's the wait staff situation on this bird? I'm used to Pan-Am but I'm sure Uncle Sam can do better." Remy tapped his chin with a finger and one could almost see the thought balloon forming above his head.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pete Wisdom

Pete nodded. "I'll handle it, Brig. Got a group of real mean bastards looking into it with me, so don't stay up troubling yourself about my sorry life." He chuckled. "I'll give you a ring when I get back from Virginia and let you know it's all sorted. And thanks." Hanging up, Pete finished the scotch, lit up another cigarette, and walked back outside for the very end of the conversation and the order to suit up. He grimaced a bit, and went upstairs to pick out his best black suit. He'd put up a fight on that one till his fingers wore down to the bone.

----------

Pete whistled a bit and smiled as he looked at the jet, obviously quite satisfied. He'd kept mostly quiet about the information he'd gathered from the Brig about where these monsters most likely came from, but the plane ride would give him a good chance to talk to Forge quietly about it. Maybe the engineer could start figuring out some sort of weakness if he knew where the things came from. He cursed a bit, though, that Adam had spent the war in the Pacific Theatre - if he'd had some experience with German tech it might've proved useful here. Still, as much as Pete loved antagonizing the man he had shown lately that he was stepping up his game. And he was definitely the one most likely to solve this problem. Tossing his newly finished cigarette, Pete walked over to Forge and put a hand on his shoulder, coming in close to him. "Adam, when he take off I'd like to gab with you for a while." He gave him his most earnest look, which, well...At least it was obvious he was trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Forge

"Gab, huh?" Adam asks, raising an eyebrow, but then just sighs and shrugs. "Sure. Fine. At least this one isn't liable to get me shot."

He takes in the plane, his eyes tracing the contours, his imagination filling in the gaps. Here and there you could... and then there was room for... and it'd be child's play to... he wasn't sure what he was seeing, something about his ideas were hard to grasp, like portions of a half-remembered dream. He knew they would work, he just didn't know how, like someone else was doing the legwork and passing the ideas along. But that someone was him.

A "hyperactive subconscious", that was what Xavier had said, his unconscious mind working like a hundred miniature Manhattan Projects at all times. To truly work, he had to stop focusing and let his... better half do the thinking instead.

All of which meant he was the dumbest smart guy around, but there was one idea he'd had - him, not whatever was occupying the back seat - that kept coming around to intrigue him. Xavier had a device which amplified his mental powers, one that Adam had worked on to refine and improve. With it, Xavier's range and abilities were magnified greatly.

So what would happen if he put on the headset?

The idea would not go away, but he manages to push it down to the back of his mind. It could wait. Right now there was work to be done, and if nothing else, Adam understood that concept innately.

He pats his pocket again, reassured by the familiar bump, and fixes his eye on Wisdom. "Just give me a couple of minutes longer to admire the plane, all right? I wanna see how she handles."

• Locked thread