Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

The_White_Crane posted:

From my understanding, the important thing is trying to get their heart beating again, because if that isn't happening then all the other considerations are pointless.
Also, on a related note because I'll take any opportunity to spread this knowlege: defibrillators don't restart stopped hearts. And I wish the media would stop showing them doing that.

Saying that CPR is attempting to get their heart beating again is... misguided. If someone has irregular/no heartbeat that has incapacitated them (dysrhythmia or arrhythmia) then basically no amount of chest compressions are going to fix it. Although their heart might not be working, it's just a pump for blood and your compressions take over that function to keep the blood flowing. It's prolonging their life until medical assistance can arrive and work on fixing the root cause of the heart failure.

The breathing part isn't considered critical because your blood will have sufficient oxygen in it for a little while at least and if you are going to panic and only be able to remember how to do one thing, the compressions are the important bit. You won't keep anyone alive for long without breathing though.

Great LP D-Vac, I'm really loving it. Apologies for derailing with my rather low level medical talk. I'm sure some Doctor-goon will be along to correct us all shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Sorry D Vac, I couldn't watch past the Reverse Makeover (Chewing rocks wtf :stonk:)

I'm sad this is coming to an end though, this is my favourite LP on the forums. Thanks for all your amazing work.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
D Vac, I want to thank you for all your amazing hard work throughout this LP, which not only managed to be incredibly entertaining and a whole lot of fun, but also hugely informative about the subversive and terrible nature of these games which I had no idea even existed.

I didn't think you could outdo your previous episodes and I was so, so incredibly wrong. What an amazing finish, I was down after the first one and then laughed myself stupid at the second. Bravo.

You are the LPer I want to be when I grow up.

Thanks for everything.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
It's also important to remember that a lot of the people on SA are male (probably 50%!) and these girl games are simply not things that a lot of them would ever have seen through the fact that they are not targeted. While I would have been able to tell you dress up games on specific sites catered to girls exist, I wouldn't have had the faintest idea of the sheer pervasiveness of the terrible messages that exist in almost all of them, nor of the fact there is almost no relation to gaming as a whole with respect to quality, genre, messaging or even being games.

There are many terrible messages in society towards women and minorities that I have no idea exist despite my 30 years on this planet and that has nothing to do with being naive or wilfully blind, but is purely that these messages exist in magazines I don't read, games I don't play, TV shows I don't watch, etc and I think it's crucial to making a better society that these repugnant things are brought to light so that we can take a stand that these messages are unacceptable. I think what D Vac has done is to shine a light into these dark corners and has done so in a way that brings more people into the conversation about these topics, which can only be a good thing.

Part of why we do Let's Play is to bring a game (or games) to other peoples attention, usually for entertainment, but sometimes for something more. I think D Vac has done that exceptionally well and I know I want to tell all my friends with little girls that they might be playing these horrible games and internalising these horrible messages, which I think is possibly the best outcome an LP can have. Thanks to this LP, a little girl somewhere might grow up with a little more confidence and a little more self worth than they would otherwise. Parents can't fight demons that they don't know exist, after all.

• Locked thread