Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'd like to point out how horrible a person eye-laser-lady was; she's wandering the street, hypnotizing random men, some of them obviously with their girlfriends. Because that's totally what young ladies should aspire to become. And how they should think of men. And themselves.

Remember, if your boyfriend cheats on you, it's okay because he was hypnotized by the eye-lasers of a hotter girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I gotta say, as a wee lad I would have loved access to a Sailor Moon game, but I had no such thing.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

As a male, I usually come up with a concept for the type of character I want to play, and I'll end up with a picture in my head of whether the character is male or female. For example, I recently started playing a fighter in my mom's D&D game. I wanted to play a damage dealer with a 2 handed sword, and for whatever reason, I pictured the character as female. In Dragon Age, I played a female City Elf because that side of the story sounded more interesting to me. In Soul Calibur 3, one of my first created characters came from the concept of how amusing it would be to watch a pipe-armed lady swinging around Nightmare's sword. In Dark Souls or a Bethesda game, I just go "ehhh, I think this one will be male/female."

Also, in games where you can have inter-character romance, I (somewhat) more frequently play a male character because a) I'm attracted to women, so I can relate better, and b) there are frequently more, better designed female love interests than male (not that that's fair). Baldur's Gate 2, for instance; the only male love interest is a self-righteous, annoying jerk, while the 3 female interests are more varied (hell, I've had a good character romance Viconia because you can turn her away from evil).

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I just came up with a game concept that makes me wish I knew how to program:

Our heroine (we'll call her Becky, I guess) is an average girl going through high school. Her parents are pretty wealthy, so she lives in a mansion. One day, some criminals break into the house looking to rob the family blind. Mom and Dad manage to hide Becky in the attic's hidden saferoom, but they are captured by the crooks shortly afterwards. Now, with her parents held hostage, Becky must save the day.

Her first step is to make it to her room, where you get to choose her outfit. The clothing you select has different effects on gameplay; if you choose to wear high heels, you move more slowly and make more noise, but might be able to use them for other purposes (I dunno, I haven't developed the idea very far yet). Loose clothing gives better freedom of movement, but can get caught or grabbed more easily. You can use the makeup in Becky's room to improvise defensive measures, most notably hairspray.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

JamieTheD posted:

This just supports my two personal pet theories: That humans, collectively, are nigh-irredeemable assholes, and that the only thing that really makes us special is the ability to hold two contradictory ideas in our heads at the same time, usually with a conditional modifier that makes the main statement a lie.

I cannot in good conscience agree with this. The problem is that it's the vocal minority that gets heard the most, and they push harder to get their way under many circumstances. Most people are, in my experience, good people when it comes down to it. People will set aside their differences when a situation arises that truly matters. Everyone has their moments of weakness, and there are many who fit your description, but there is just so much good in the world that I cannot look at humans that way.

We've had a couple of pretty bad floods in my area over the last 5 years or so, and I've seen people come out of the woodwork to do what they can to help. After 9/11, the American Red Cross had so much donated blood that they couldn't use it all, because people were donating in droves. Hell, at least in the United States, violent crime rates have been dropping for quite some time. I just don't see the "nigh-irredeemable assholes" thing.

And there's more that makes us special than contradictory ideas. Yes, there are definitely those who are like you say, but humans also have an incredible creative potential. Our works of art can inspire amazing things, and change the course of entire societies. Works like Uncle Tom's Cabin and The Yellow Wallpaper are frequently credited with ushering change in systems that were well accepted, but downright evil.

To connect this to the thread itself, many of these games are certainly supportive of awful standards we hold young girls and women to, and perpetuate harmful stereotypes, but they are also the work of some people, not all. Plenty of people, as evidenced by the discussion in this thread, are vehemently opposed to this treatment of social roles, and that's gotta account for something.

Zoe posted:

Okay, I know this is not going to be a popular opinion but I'm going to just come right out and say it: Utterly toxic community aside, the My Little Pony cartoon has good lessons for girls sometimes. I said before I watch it on weekends with my nieces...one of the characters owns their own business and one of the morals was that real friends should understand your entire life can't loving revolve around them 24/7 and sometimes you have to put your responsibilities first...I was absolutely blown away since I'd expected the exact opposite from a children's cartoon about the magic of friendship or whatever. There's also been a couple of plots about a character overcoming crippling shyness and learning not to be a doormat all the time, which I wish I'd had the opportunity to watch when I was 11 or 12 or so.

Actually, I literally just watched the first 2 episodes, and I kinda have to agree here.

azren fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 2, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

:stonk: Boyfriend trainer!? It reminds me far too much of the Cosmo articles about how to get revenge on your boyfriend, and what things to be paranoid about.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Devious Vacuum posted:

The mindset and behavior advocated in Boyfriend Trainer is basically training for an abusive relationship. If you ever encounter this kind of attitude from your partner, regardless of gender, that relationship is abusive. I think it's especially problematic how this kind of female-on-male violence, or at least emotional abuse, is presented as normal. Abusive relationships can happen between anyone.

Yup! As was said previously, I kinda want the gender role switched version, if only to sit back and watch the fireworks before pointing to Boyfriend Trainer. Then, the flame war starts. :getin:

(Yes, I know this would accomplish nothing, and would be detrimental to the subject in general, I just have vaguely malicious fantasies I don't plan on making anything out of; I just like laughing at hypocracy)

Waffleman_ posted:

The way that domestic abuse seems to be played for laughs in Boyfriend Trainer reminds me of what must be the worst episode of Family Guy, "Screams of Silence: The Story of Brenda Q," which presents Quagmire's sister Brenda in an abusive relationship with her fiance. Now I know what you're thinking. Family Guy taking on domestic abuse? Surely it's going to make a big joke out of it! NO! For the vast majority of the episode, the scenes of abuse are played straight. Like, it's so serious that it's literally uncomfortable to watch. It plays it so seriously that when it turns around and makes an unrelated joke right after a dramatic and emotional speech, it feels even more wrong than if they had made a joke out of the abuse. And does the episode end with Brenda getting out of the abusive relationship by herself? Of course not! It takes Quagmire, Peter, and Joe literally taking things into their own hands and murdering the abuser because of course she can't stand up for herself. Jesus, that episode makes me angry.

Ya know, I usually like Family Guy. Usually.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

MiracleFlare posted:

What I'm trying to say is, Acool is a horrible place with many games where you physically and sexually assault women. Don't look at this site. Ever. It's not even advertised as a girl game site, so I have no idea how PlayRosy came to be associated with it.

But if I hadn't fallen for the shmuck-bait due to my morbid curiosity, I wouldn't have discovered this game! It's a more complicated, gender-reversed version of Laser-Eye Seductress! :haw:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

STREET KISS

"You have to kiss your partner when the purple hair girl is not watching."

... Why specifically the 'purple hair girl'?
Is it not a misspelling? Is she actually just a massive animated lump of purple hair, who will strangle you with her monstrous tendrils if she detects affection?

Man, I don't even worry about that part. I'm far more unsettled by the predatory nature of the picture for that one, when contrasted with the much more romantic pictures for the others.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Dijon du jour, I just wanted to say that your avatar is probably more fitting for your posts than anything I could imagine. It's just such a beautifully enraged, horrified expression, staring straight at the post, and I love it. I hope someone rescues you from Treebeard, Whispy Wood, and Derp Apple!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Devious Vacuum posted:

I can only hope to teach the whole thread how to rub different colors of goo on their faces with such proficiency.

I have faith in you, D Vac!

Regarding the earlier discussion of the dress-up options in games like Skyrim, and such, I remember having more fun than expected customizing my Evil Tower of Grim Evil in Overlord. There are just so many neat things you can add.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Devious Vacuum posted:

This is excellent. I have made several mangas about girl games to fit the next couple of updates.

We should have acted.
They're already here.
The manga pages told of their return.
Their defeat was merely delay
Til the time after the books opened,
When the sons of (glorious) Nippon would spill their own ink.
But no-one wanted to believe.
Believe they even existed.
And when the truth finally dawns:
It dawns in Girl Games.
But,
There's one they fear.
In their tongue, she is Diivackiin:
Vacuumborn!

"Diivackiin! Diivackiin! Nal ek zin los vahriin,
Wah dein (girl games) mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
Ahrk fin vul (websites) graan fod nust hon vahdin zaan,
Diivackiin, fah hin LPs mu draal!"

(Vacuumborn! Vacuumborn! By her honor is sworn,
To keep girl games forever at bay!
And the dark websites rout when they hear maiden shout,
Vacuumborn, for your LPs we pray!)

...I don't know what inspired me to do this, but there it is.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

azren posted:

We should have acted.
They're already here.
The manga pages told of their return.
Their defeat was merely delay
Til the time after the books opened,
When the sons of (glorious) Nippon would spill their own ink.
But no-one wanted to believe.
Believe they even existed.
And when the truth finally dawns:
It dawns in Girl Games.
But,
There's one they fear.
In their tongue, she is Diivackiin:
Vacuumborn!

"Diivackiin! Diivackiin! Nal ek zin los vahriin,
Wah dein (girl games) mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
Ahrk fin vul (websites) graan fod nust hon vahdin zaan,
Diivackiin, fah hin LPs mu draal!"

(Vacuumborn! Vacuumborn! By her honor is sworn,
To keep girl games forever at bay!
And the dark websites rout when they hear maiden shout,
Vacuumborn, for your LPs we pray!)

...I don't know what inspired me to do this, but there it is.

So, I went ahead and did an accompanying picture from http://www.dolldivine.com/viking-maker.php
I don't know what you look like, of course, so I used the picture dijon du jour did as a reference.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Onean posted:

It came up very briefly in the video, but there are only two contenders for best Disney Princess in my mind, San and Nausicaa. I don't care that they aren't explicitly Disney princesses, their movies were both released by Disney (subsidiaries) for their English releases. :colbert:

Regarding villains, my top female Disney villain is always going to be Maleficent. She's just so... evil! As for male villains, I don't know... I just know that Frolo has the best villain song in Disney history.

edit: I can't stop myself from doing weird poo poo-

Happy Valentine's Day, thread!

azren fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 14, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

haplesscardsharp posted:

So is it even possible to market a video game by using a woman, but not portray the woman in a negative light? No.

Are you a girl who likes video games? Do you play them for fun instead of using them to meet boys? Do you hate it when men online either hit on you or judge you because you are a woman?
Well, we here at Sony want to offend the gently caress out of you and portray a sense of women are sex objects; please see this advertisement, and hopefully you never buy anything from us again.

I don't think I've ever seen an advertisement that says "women are just boobs" more than this.

Damnit, Sony! I love you, I really do, but then you go and pull this creepy/offensive bullshit every so often.

Patter Song posted:

Fun thought exercise. Replace Oda Nobunaga with other historical figures and see how that game turns out. George Washington, for example.

Ooh! Dibs on Caligula! :allears:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

asvodel posted:

Not a girl game but there was a pretty bizarre Kickstarter a while back for a dating sim where the main heroines were literally genderswapped Hitler and Stalin.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wargirlgames/my-little-dictator-a-battle-visual-novel
I didn't know what to make of it.

What I make out of it is that someone was watching way too much Axis Powers Hetalia.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

haplesscardsharp posted:

Why does it have to be a MegaMAN? :colbert:
What's wrong with being a MegaWoman?

There was an abandoned LP for a game that basically did what you're talking about here. I can't remember the name, but it was a fun lp, while it lasted.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

YES! THAT'S IT! Thank you.

Graceful Graveler posted:

Are we still discussing how some of these games teach lovely lessons to young kids?

I don't think that's ever going to cease being relevant in this thread.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Okay, so I had a question regarding terminology; my mother and I were having a discussion regarding the words "transsexual" and "transgendered," and had come to a disagreement. Mom felt that one of the words had become an inappropriate/archaic term, and the other was the generally accepted one, while I had the impression that the two words meant slightly different things (last I had been told, "sex" referred to body and "gender" referred to identity). Anyone have any input on this?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Behold! ACTION Girl! (edit: ^ sorry, post started before you finished)

Suggested misogynistic ACTION quotes include:
"I might not know modesty or fashion, but I know what feels breezy!"
or
"Of course I don't wear pants! They chafe!"
or even
"I've got two .45s! Oh, and a couple of pistols!"

Loosely inspired by Jinx, but I couldn't get enough guns on her.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Hey, y'all! New installment in the "Love Letter Saga!"

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Devious Vacuum posted:

This so hard!!

I think one of the most important takeaways from this thread is that everybody likes playing dress-up; it's not a "girl" thing, and it's not dumb or bad because it's a "girl" thing. By relegating it to the title of "girly," it limits both what girls AND boys can do, keeping girls from expressing more agency and making boys feel ashamed of any desire to make their character look pretty.

Hell, I've put in hours and hours of playing around with Heromachine; I made a pretty princess, as well as a cybernetic soldier-woman of death and destruction! It's fun!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

YES! Thank you!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

ThatPazuzu posted:

Also, this is my first attempt at any kind of screenshot semi-LP thing so I don't now if I did okay or not. :ohdear:

Considering the "quality" material you had to work with, I'd say you did great.

Also, that game looks like it sucked pretty hard. Hope you didn't have to pay for it.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Devil Ed posted:

The message just leaks PUA

Probably a stupid question, but what's "PUA" stand for?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Eggn0g posted:

Gay Putin Dress Up!

:stonk: Holy poo poo! That is hilarious!

Any chance you could timg the picture? It's really big.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I see no problem with cosplay.

Regarding Pokemon cosplay, I saw a group of women doing Vaporeon Flareon and Jolteon costumes in the form of elegant kimono; it was actually really cool.

ThatPazuzu posted:

Pokemon dress up is a very appropriate way to celebrate Ash Wednesday.

You deserve an award. And to be injured.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Are you still looking for new co-commentators, D-Vac?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Devious Vacuum posted:

I'm visiting my family for Spring Break starting tomorrow, so have an early update as well!

with Charkie

Also I'm sorry.

What was that horrible... thing at the bottom at the 12 minute mark!? Oh, God! :gonk:

edit: while we're defacing the Mona Lisa, I (personally) really like the "Emona Lisa" pun.

azren fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 21, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

chocolatekake posted:

I tried my hand at carving soap.

Instructions from here: http://crafts.123peppy.com/popeye-soap-carving/55

Your result made me smile! :)

azren
Feb 14, 2011

That entire video just reminded me how I think someone who looks like Velma is more attractive than someone who looks like Dapheni.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Seriously though, have there been any games where you can pick or make really plus-sized characters? I know Saints Row 2 allows you to veer away from the industry standard shape. Anything else?

I seem to recall GTA San Andreas letting you have your (male) character gain fat, tone, and muscle based on how much/what you ate, how much you ran, etc.

Not that GTA is exactly a good example of progressive anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

:golfclap: is really all I can say. This was an incredible thread, and so much of a good time all the way through.

• Locked thread