Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Imagine how double-awkward all this poo poo is when you're transgendered, too. The conflicting, contradictory messages of what culture says you should be get pretty maddening and upsetting because you're 1) not sure if you're being a girl 'right,' and 2) because even if you get it 'right,' you're still signing up for an endless cycle of having to obsess over your weight, appearance, skin tone, dress sense, and whatever else.

As someone who's gone through some troubles with gender (or rather, sex) dysphoria more recently than as a kid, I wish I understood what it would have been like. Today, I definitely feel disheartened by people telling me the "right" ways (for other people) to be a girl (or to be a guy, as directed at me). And I've played some dress-up "games" and normal games with character creation to ignore real life and dream of how I wish I could be. Even the crappy sexism-pushing junk out there can be a means of imagining myself different to how I am. That is, of course, not to say that the same kinds of games couldn't be made without promoting awful stereotypes and the like.

Edit: Hell, most of the time I feel like I'm not even being transgender "right".

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Panzer Skank posted:

Cupcakes
Fingers
Feet

Seeing how the cupcakes had the disgusting tar frosting, I actually thought our pedicure-getting lady's toes were all bloodied up from battle or something. It's like those photo booths at malls where you draw all over your face and put sparkles everywhere. Except you're too lazy to actually go to the mall and hold your feet up for the camera.

reignonyourparade posted:

To be fair to a couple of those iOS games, "score points to unlock options to score points to unlock options" is a tried and true method of game design, it just happens to be easily applied to mobile games for "OR you could pay real money to skip all that."

Except how do you score "points" in Foot Spa, or any of those other cookie cutter games? By linking with Facebook and sharing your horrid creations with people?

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 20, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Like Veloxyll said, it looks like a pretty decent block set. And whether or not it's separated into a "girls line" it's at least a quality toy, unlike most of these games we've been shown so far. Not to say that it should be separated into its own line. But the problem isn't necessarily solved by just making gender-neutral Legos only, regardless of the loss of female consumers they might get. Because at that point you are ignoring the fact that girls might like pink things or that boys might like ninja things or the other way around. They should still make all varying kinds of Legos, but the advertising and packaging shouldn't try make it exclusive to one sex or the other.

Off topic Lego talk: I loved building stuff from my imagination when I was young, but when I got my first build set, my creativity went more to playing with what I built rather than thinking of cool stuff to build. I still built cool stuff, it just wasn't my design. I still had tons of fun following the directions step-by-step and looking for the piece that was next. Maybe I'm weird like that.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
On the list of game categories on the left there was "Award Games". At first I thought it said awkward games, which would be most of them, but now I'm wondering are these award-winning games or just games that involve awards? Like a dress-up game for the Oscar statue.

DialTheDude posted:

Up to this point most of the girl games we've seen were character customization or puzzle games of some sort. And now we've seen two games involving stealth. Perhaps if we dig deep enough, we can find a game that borrows from real-time strategy or survival horror.

Every game is survival horror. If you fail you have to suffer the horror of being ugly.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Zoe posted:

But seriously, I guess if I had the unlimited funds and talent to make a game aimed at younger girls, it's probably be an unholy fusion of Animal Crossing, Myst, Harvest Moon, Pokemon, and the Elder Scrolls minus all the gritty elements...

That reminds me, there's a few of the Harvest Moon games specifically aimed at girls. I played Another Wonderful Life back when it came out and it was essentially the same game as the "boys" version, which I thought was pretty good.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

dijon du jour posted:

Dress Up Games, including...

Dress Link Up
Link is one of the characters in the comic
book series The Legend...

Wait, what? I mean, I guess he was in some comics, but come on, he's totally the video game character before he's a comic book character. And it's not like the game series is dead and was revived through comics.

But seriously, those games really capture the manly essence of being a man. I can't think of anything manlier than Joe Jonas At The Disco. On the unfortunate but hopeful note of damning praise, those girls in the first game, despite being horribly deformed and thin, did look like they had some vague muscle definition...maybe...that's at least sort of a step in showing varying body types.

Edit: Veloxyll, please do. You'd be super awesome and I'd be jealous.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 24, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Oddly enough, I did a google search for that image and the suggestion was "Clamp proportions" which lead me to a short list saying:

"The normal proportion of human bodies is around 7 1/2 heads. It is only in fashion design drawings that it is acceptable to depict a body in 10 or more heads."
Manga artists Clamp are known for doing that sometimes.

Which I guess makes some kind of sense? Either way, long legs can look nice or at least ok in certain styles, but that dress-up game is definitely freakish.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 28, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
My precious daughter is a sad girl (five) because I'm dressing her up in horrid clothing to reinforce my unfair standards of beauty.

At least Abbey Bominable got some pretty rad hair, but that might just be par for the Monster High course. Although I'm starting to wonder what's with all these awkward dress up poses. Lying down, sitting depressed on the floor. I'm also kind of bummed that you can't decide to have no makeup on. I get that that's part of the point of the games in general, but I'd like more options please!

Edit: I just had to play Polka Dot Fashion 2 and I found this gem of UI design.

See those sparkles all over the place? They actually block off the UI elements so good luck trying to click anywhere they are covering. Also, they pulsate and it's a little obnoxious.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 30, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Transgendered girl here, and one of the main problems I have with other people on the subject isn't so much with standards of beauty (though I do have my fair share of personal problems about that), it's when people categorize you based on your sex. Since I haven't come out to anyone in real life, if I say something or do something sort of weird, people say "oh, that's just because you're a boy," or something along those lines. I don't get why certain things have to be based on your sex. I'm about as feminine as my sister in some regards and I'm not entirely socially adept, why can't it just be because of your personality? That sort of thing is like attaching genders to toys like trucks or dolls. They're just toys, I'm just a girl.

I haven't really thought too much about cartoons that promote good messages, but I second Adventure Time and My Little Pony. And I'm adding Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld to the online shorts category.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I'm kind of starting to feel bad about watching some of these videos on Youtube. Because then I get suggestions like this. :(

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Devious Vacuum posted:

If someone can get an avatar-sized GIF of the LUV <3 LUV robot, that would be super great because I want that as my avatar so bad now.

Done. With three flavors, slow, regular or spastic.

Edit: Here's another one. I could probably make one with a better zoom to really capture the Luv <3 Luv or do the zoom with a different speed.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 7, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
The original is 97.5KB, imgur adds to the size a bit unfortunately. I managed to get it down to 54.4KB at the smallest, but the quality's pretty bad I think. And even then I don't know how to get it down more, since I'm pretty bad at this. I'll try and trim down the source frames though.

Edit: I made some concessions and got it down under 30KB, two speeds again. It's a bit smaller and has fewer frames, but I think it's still alright.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 8, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I actually thought the eye surgery was pretty sweet. Finally another girl game that encourages career opportunities. It wasn't horrifying in the same way the dentist ones were. Those were just grotesque. At least this one had some attention to detail, even if the "tears" looked like somebody accidentally used the erase tool in MS Paint.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I seem to be a little late to the party, but here's what I made. I have no sense of fashion so I just picked stuff I thought looked pretty.

With a closeup on my sweet hair.

Then I made a wizard

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

SelenicMartian posted:

Are all of those game absolute poo poo with sprite order? The hats are the only things that draw over the animals.

Agreed, the animals are poorly implemented.
I went for a little of the layered look/TF2-chic and was sad that you can only put on three guns and one sword and one medal.

Also, someone earlier mentioned hipster dress up and, while the options are fairly limited, I really like the art style and music as well. So...

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Ok, tomatoes are my favorite food. But why did Merida put them on her eyes. Are tomatoes known for their moisturizing qualities? No they're not. Or maybe they are? Although I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since she then put fruit all over her face.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Nerdy to Emo Makeover

I thought we could use something a little "educational". Since for some reason it bothers me when people get this mixed up. I'm just wondering how hard it is to get even the thing you're promoting correct. It also speaks on behalf of the world of "fashion" that if you're not "cool enough" you should just change how you dress and assimilate with what's popular.

Cartoon Doll Emporium posted:

are you a nerdy girl with lots of spots on your face, wearing geek but not chic glasses and pretty but not fashionable enough outfits? do you want to change your boring nerdy look into the hottest emo diva
nerdy can be cool, but emo is even cooler

Also, I too was intrigued by the Ballerina Dressup game but it was super boring aside from these feet.

Thanks for the heads up!

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

These two also spoke sang the truth. And I never saw them in no fridge.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
A PSA about not reading the thread.

The minty-haired Akihito is upset by Hitoshi's failure to understand even the basics of fashion.
Hitoshi is crying because he's being choked.
Akihito is crying (but hiding his tears behind his glasses like a real man) because it's hurting him more than it's hurting Hitoshi.

The game. The music is really good in an awful way. I've been listening to it for 20 minutes.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 13, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Barber Salon!

I honestly don't see what was wrong with this...

Or even this...

Lllladies. :heysexy:

Whatever, I guess this guy's style was already cut and dry. :rimshot:
Although I am severely disappointed by the lack of any good green colors.

The game glitched and had part of the hair still highlighted in yellow for some reason, but I went back to investigate, but couldn't replicate it.

Hat time!

He is that guy who always blinks in photographs.

But wait, I've got a better idea...

There it is. Snug!

Give it a matching scarf and voila. Even the barber gives us thumbs up! But since he's reading a book, maybe he can't see the abomination he's created.

Also, in Phantasmagoric Girl when you were picking eye color, those eyes looked high as gently caress. I'm guessing that was the one you put your own music on for (in which case excellent choice!), but if not... :(

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 14, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Oh my gosh! Is that whole thing the "blouse" or is it actually just the top? It doesn't really look much different from a sweatshirt to me...

Happy Valentine's Day thread! Enjoy this picture of two people kissing who really aren't into it.

Also, this game has some seriously rad music, wherever they (probably) stole it from.

The girl on the right should be looking at the other girl, but I guess the selection image lied.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

DurpTwoTwo posted:

I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

Let's Play the Mary-Kate and Ashley Series, Part 1 (featuring ItsGoggalor, ZenScissors, and DevilEd.)

Oh my gosh that animal abuse in the first two games! I mean, I've played plenty of games with what could possibly be construed as animal abuse but you're just straight up throwing/kicking your dog friend at cats.
Also the gameplay reminds me of a very, very bad Thomas Was Alone. Which makes me kind of sad.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

This is Mitt Romney's America!

Edit: I wanted to make Flannery, but I got sidetracked by the ridiculous amount of options. This is actually pretty neat!

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 18, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I like the idea of symbolic gameplay. I guess that's another thing the kinect has going for it (Child of Eden being the first). It's something that hasn't really been done with a gamepad as far as I'm aware.

"You did a mediocre job as a suicide bomber!"

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
This is the first thing that came to my mind when seeing the overalls in the Digimon character creator.
I made a certain Teletubby, but I won't say who :ssh:

The Digimon's name is Burgamon. It is the coolest.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 24, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I support having all the hair. I also support dying your clothes with grenades. I am a little disappointed that you can't move the dogs wherever you want, though.

Watch out users of public transportation! Susie Seven is here to gently caress your day up!
Also, you'd think the export feature would remove the music and save icons...

Shadow gamer posted:

So I loaded this game just to see if I could give this poor girl some pants....I cannot. :(
Sure you can! As long as by pants you mean basically one style of skinny jeans.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 27, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Just because it's a not pink robot, doesn't mean it can't be pretty. I'm all ready for prom! Who's got the fruit basket?

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Veloxyll posted:

Robots are girls who need to dress up, too, DVac!

Is this girly enough?

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I hope the whole instagib segment of Secret of the Magic Crystal(s) gets uploaded so we can see the slow madness creep over everyone. It's also a fitting follow-up to those Mary-Kate and Ashley DDR ripoffs.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Devious Vacuum posted:

I don't think Twitch will upload it for me - maybe it's too long? Maybe it's better that way, though. Maybe Twitch knows that no more My Little Pony needs to be uploaded to YouTube.

I think there's like a half hour limit on Twitch to Youtube uploads, isn't there? Twitch is fine anyway for the reason you stated, though.

Edit: Also, thanks Senerio (again) for the old cartoon stuff! Kim Possible and Sailor Moon (also again) in particular will always have a special place in my heart. And that What's the Switch game reminds me a bit of Scarygirl, but a little more stripped down than even that. I'd probably still enjoy it a bit though.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 14, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Steam has come through once again with the new Powerpuff Girls video game.

I'm tempted to pick it up myself, especially since you can pick the classic art style for the girls.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I was thinking of contributing to the thread with what I know well, hot water vapor. So I kind of wanted to try streaming some Girl Games from Steam, but wanted to avoid the obvious games we've already played, like horse DDR (no Petz games either).

Here's a very short, tentative, list I was thinking of, based on various sources:
Powerpuff Girls: Defenders of Townsville (primary focus on this one)
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Long Live the Queen
Date Warp (on Greenlight)

And some point and click games whose girly-ness is up in the air:
Tiny Bang Story
Lume
Lilly Looking Through

I'm open to suggestions, and as long as they're cheap enough I might get a few I don't have. And I'm sorry if some of these are too good for girl games, but sometimes you just have to settle for quality.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 15, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Devious Vacuum posted:

I don't know all of these games, but I'm not entirely convinced Long Live the Queen is actually a Girl Game, because, for example, Princess Maker is regarded as a game for male pedophiles... and basically I want to draw a line between games that have girls as protagonists and "girl games." There's definitely a gray area in what is for little girls and what CLAIMS to be for little girls but is actually for adults.

I think there's a misconception going on here that a game with a female protagonist that isn't interchangeable with a male protagonist (e.g. Tomb Raider, Portal 2) is a "girl game." But that's not true, and we've seen over and over that it isn't true. There are loads of games with female protagonists that are still clearly games for the conventional gaming community, which is presumed to be (straight) men.

There are many things these games have in common with Girl Games, like sexualization of the female body and male gaze, but Girl Games are TEACHING girls to objectify themselves, whereas these other games, let's call them "Games WITH Girls," merely REFLECT objectification or other bad attitudes toward women. Going back to Long Live the Queen, we (the player) are meant to protect the princess, not identify with her.

Please examine each game that you want to play and really be sure that the player is intended to be a girl. Not "anybody," but specifically a girl. The people who made the game, while they were making the game, they were thinking about the player as a girl. That's the key here.

Yeah, I'm definitely trying to take that into consideration. Long Live the Queen I thought might count since it's the same developer as Date Warp, which is a vn/dating sim for girls. Some of the others on the list were repeatedly recommended for girls by an audience, not the developers. Maybe that's the key to girl games though, not just things regular people are trying to limit girls to, but games the developers themselves are trying to push onto girls. And maybe some of these are too progressive for girl games. I'll probably drop the idea. Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to conflate girl games with games that have girls.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I think the scope of the thread is probably to examine games for younger girls because that's when people are more impressionable. It seems like most of what we've seen has been that, anyway. Older girls and women have it rough too, but at least by the time they're old enough to play games marketed to their older audience selves, they've gained critical thinking skills. But maybe that's just how I'm interpreting it. I guess with the Steam games I wanted to say, these are the games other people think girls should be playing, even if they're not specifically made for girls. And while I think that's an interesting discussion it probably doesn't fall under the category. Also it seems like an irregular number of insipid or poorly made games are recommended to girls, but not boys, so there's another problem.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 16, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
That Texting At Work game has the same royalty free music that gamexplain on Youtube uses for one of their video series. I'm assuming it's royalty free or the game stole it from them because girl games.

Oh my gosh that puppy, though! Even the mute button in that game is cute!

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

I think the choice is obvious. I want to dress up the MORE GAMES animal.

Also, you can sort of dress Obama up like Mitt Romney.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

DairunCates posted:

Actually, as a final sidenote, I somewhat find it worrying that the immediate reaction to a male demographic finding interest in a game intended for a younger female audience is to assume they're pedophiles. I'm not saying that sometimes this isn't the case, but it's obvious that this is the IMMEDIATE reaction. It sends a message that it ISN'T okay for a guy to be interested in feminine things and further reinforces the idea of the feminine as inferior. It's pretty much the same idea that it's okay and even encouraged for girls to play with boy's toys if they want to, but if a boy wants to play with Barbies, he's either gay or something's wrong with him. Feminine traits are unique to women and something you should almost be ashamed of, but male traits are universal and widely regarded as "good".

After all, the ONLY explanation for a guy wanting to play as a 13 year-old female protagonist is he wants to have sex with her or he's some kind of "sick weirdo" that identifies as a woman because he's a pervert. That's definitely why I bought the game and enjoy it (In accordance with Poe's Law, I am required by internet etiquette to confirm that the last two sentences were sarcasm).

You said exactly what I wanted to say, a lot better than I could have worded it, so thanks!

It's frustrating that people outside the target demographic can't enjoy something without being viewed as a freak. And that kind of judgment seems largely relegated to sex, gender, and age demographics, as it's not considered as weird for a city person to enjoy country music. Granted you don't get the "sexualization" thing from that sort of disparity, but I don't see why it's automatically assumed in cases where it's a possibility but not an absolute. It's the same reason people think non-little girls only enjoy My Little Pony for sexual reasons.

Bato posted:

Maybe there are girl games out there where you go clubbing as a baby.

You dress up the babies in all sorts of adorable little outfits, maybe dress up the baby as a little sailor's outfit.
And then you can print it out.
Frame it.
Place it in a room that is wall-to-wall full of printed out and framed results of hundreds of dress up games.

I hope this is Devac's final update. Pictures of every wall in her house covered floor to ceiling in framed printouts of all the atrocities she's created in the videos.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
As an artist, I always struggled when drawing tomatoes.

NOT ANYMORE!!!

http://howtodraw.123peppy.com/cartoon-tomato/2150

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 31, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I tried my hand at carving soap.

Instructions from here: http://crafts.123peppy.com/popeye-soap-carving/55

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Your mouse cursor was turned into a pencil. Makes sense, considering you were on the drawing pages. But when I was carving, mine was a caterpillar?

Also, maybe you should apply to 123peppy.com. They really look like they could use a more competent artist, like you. Plus they could break out into the "Boy Games" market with your "How to Draw A Penis," which is every boy's dream.

• Locked thread