Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Polsy set up a cool site that tells you if/when a bunch of people are streaming, check it out!

Welcome to the new Let's Stream megathread. Here goons can post streams of them playing games on the internet. They can be serious playthroughs, multiplayer games with friends or just streaming a game because it's late on a Saturday night and you have nothing better to do.

Feel free to post here and tell other LP goons you're streaming a videogame, or feel free to discuss streaming and any technical things regarding streaming you want.

Some FAQ for people new here:

What the hell is a stream?
It's a means of live broadcasting to the internet. Most of the time around these parts streaming implies playing videogames live on the internet. There are a bunch of sites for this: the most notable of which is TwitchTV.

How do I stream?
You can download free software such as OBS or Xsplit which will enable you to stream to various sites (also for free). Scroll down a bit further in this post and there's a bunch of guides by both goons here and major hosts for getting started, as well as some other more complex stuff if you decide to go deep.

Where did all the stream links in the OP go?
Polsy set up a cool site that tells you if/when a bunch of people are streaming, check it out!

So does the stream have to be all high-quality, serious and LP-centric?
Absolutely not. You can do an LP on stream and post it if you want, but the main draw to streaming videogames is you can chill out and have fun playing videogames with friends.

Does that mean I can stream {Game released yesterday}?
ZORAK EDIT: yes, technically. Just don't be obnoxious about it or use it as a round about way to get around a well executed Let's Play. THE THREE MONTH RULE NO LONGER APPLIES HERE

Can I stream movies with friends and post it here?
slowbeef help

slowbeef in the previous thread posted:

Hi all. Apparently, I missed some drama while I was away. I'm not gonna dredge up all of it yet, but I have to say this:

Absolutely do not stream movies and link to it here, even if you are riffing on them or you will be banned.

Absolutely do not stream movies and link to it here, even if you are riffing on them or you will be banned.

Don't rules-lawyer with me on this; if you want to do it, you have to keep it wholly off-site, or at least this forum. I don't want it involved with the Let's Play forum at all. Even if it's a game-related movie, it doesn't belong here, and it's not kosher in CD either. I know streaming happens off-site, but you can't use the LP forum to advertise if/when you are doing this.

Laying down the law.

Hey I've got an idea for the thread and...
We'd love to hear it. Anything to make this thread more than people just posting stream links incessantly will make the thread a lot more interesting so feel free to post about it.

Now, go play some games for the internet!

User Guides
Streaming Sites: The Good, The Bad and The Livestream - by toddy.
Some details and guides for using TwitchTV's IRC service - by Vifs

Getting Started on Twitch with OBS
Getting Started on Hitbox with OBS (links straight to connection settings, but also contains a generic OBS guide for your convenience)
Getting Started on Twitch with Xsplit
Getting Started on Hitbox with Xsplit

Upcoming Events
News forthcoming. Use this space for marathons or other big stream events remotely related to LP. If you want something to be here, again, PM me.

Full stream playthroughs
Some people do full LP-style playthroughs of games on stream. I can megathread those OPs here if you just post them and let me know.

by Highwang

toddy. fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
GUIDELINES FOR POSTING YOUR STREAM HERE:

- Post a link to your stream
- Say what game/s you're playing
- Say if you're streaming now or later

DO NOT DO THESE THINGS:

- Post a donation stream without moderator permission. That's been a SA global rule for a while. They can ban your rear end.
- Repost your stream every loving hour. Holy poo poo.

I'm updating these as I realize people can't practice common sense.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 26, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

univbee posted:

A quick rules clarification regarding the "wait until a game is three months old" rule, this is regardless of region, correct? So if I wanted to stream some brand-new weird game that just came out in Japan I should wait until the game is three months old?

Most people work the 3-month rule around official US releases, but otherwise the "use common sense" rule applies. Worst case ask a mod.

Karsh posted:

This awful setup works. Sort of. It has some problems, and I'd appreciate any help.

Wow. What you're trying to do requires a complicated setup regardless since you're basically trying to double-stream a game, not necessarily work around Twitch lag. If your friends can handle not having game audio and not using Twitch you could slash 80% of that diagram out.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Will the OP go into twitch vs hitbox vs instagib? Twitch is the major player right now, but especially for smaller audiences and chat interaction (like the streams posted in the previous thread) the delay is pretty obnoxious, so i've seen more than a few people look for alternatives.

Soon. I'm going to write up some stuff on streaming hosts and streaming software hopefully today definitely by the end of the week. I've tested with Xsplit and OBS as well as streaming to a lot of sites so I have a decent amount of comparisons to share.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Streaming Sites: The Good, The Bad and The Livestream

As of recently there has been a decently large pool of streaming services available, and it's gotten to a point where it has become hard to tell which one is the go-to for game streaming. I can't give you a definite answer, but I can compare the options and tell you which are good or bad.

TwitchTV
This is the one people are most familiar with. It used to be hands down the best but recent changes have made streaming to an actual audience border on downright frustrating. They have implemented a different protocol for sending the stream and as such you will get up to 2 full minutes of delay between the host and the client, which makes communication with an audience difficult. The issue has been addressed but Twitch staff are infamous for not giving a poo poo about the people who use their service and aren't doing anything to rectify a gaping hole in their once-excellent service. Chat runs off IRC so it can be opened in mIRC or Nettalk or what have you.
Verdict: Decent. Expect lots of this:

Hitbox
Currently in beta. Very easy to setup, complete with guides. Stream player and navigation is good (player almost exactly the same as the YouTube player so it should be easy to get used to). Chat runs off some non-IRC service that they're still working on. Very little delay between host and client. Support and community staff are actively working on making the site a Twitch-killer so we'll see what happens. People have been complaining about graphical glitches on resync but I think they've worked that out for the most part.
Verdict: Very good. Currently my service of preference, assuming Twitch doesn't get their poo poo together.

Instagib
I have no idea if this service is any good since I have yet to test on it. The page navigation and player could use some work but I've heard some goons have had success getting good streams out of the service.
Verdict: ???? I'll test this one out and give more details on it later.

Livestream
Offers custom streaming tools to make capture easy but aside from that this service blows chunks. Poor quality, annoying delay, caps the amount of viewers you have unless you get the account verified and my experience watching livestream has been non-existent since I get 2 seconds of stream and 5 minutes of loading time.
Verdict: Hell no.

Ustream
Pretty sure the only people that know this service still exists is Nintendo. It was the only thing we had back in the day, but it has changed a lot since then. They used to also have a bunch of really bad custom software that didn't work.
Verdict: Why are you still using Ustream?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Highwang posted:

Toddy, there's also a YT streaming service as well. I'm not sure what their entry demands are though, nor their performance. Maybe you can talk to people who have used the service before?

Oh yeah, it's a Google Labs thing. So far no-one I know has been able to get a stream going through the beta so I can't gauge the actual quality due to the weird requirements for setting it up. If it ever gets up and working I'll talk about it.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've been thinking about streaming Monster Hunter 3U; is there a guide to getting a Wii U (or other console, for that matter) streaming through OSB?

I have a HD PVR for capturing off of consoles, I could write a guide up for how to do it sometime. There's a few ways to do it, actually.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
http://www.hitbox.tv/jttoddy Streaming some kind of drum.
(Taiko no Tatsujin Portable DX, maybe Gitaroo Man later or somethin')

PSP pooped the bed mid-stream so I'm playing Ys Origin instead.

Stream's over for the night. Now that my mic is properly set up I can hopefully stream more.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 21, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Mico posted:

Hitbox's missing keyframe problem is slowly but surely getting better all the time. When people were first switching to hitbox, everything was a pixelly mess. Now I'm at the point where I barely ever get encoding errors while watching.

Hitbox cares and works on improving their things. Twitch acknowledges them and says "gently caress you guys, we're right".

Remove Horror

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
http://www.hitbox.tv/jttoddy

More messing around in Ys Origin.

I am far too tired to solve Lex Luther's mirror maze, maybe some other time.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 22, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
http://hitbox.tv/jttoddy

Playing Legacy of the Wizard to practice and record stuff for my LP. Might switch out for other games later.

All done for tonight.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 23, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Polsy went ahead and set up an auto-updating page to tell you if LP goons are streaming right now, check it out!

Also I set up some guidelines for posting your stream in the thread in the second post in case people weren't quite sure how to put it. I'll work on an Xsplit v OBS post sometime this week as well as some guides on getting started to Twitch and Hitbox, maybe Instagib too (unless someone else can cover it).

In other news, I'm streaming Crash Bandicoot since I've never played any of the games in the series and people started screaming at me for it.

Ugh.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 27, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Highwang posted:

Also, on the guidelines you say don't repost every hour, would it still be a faux pas to repost daily since that's effectively how often I stream? I ask because I've been putting archive links post-stream for a specific game I'm streaming.

That's fine, that's not what I mentioned that in the post for.
There were people who reposted the same single-running stream every 1 or 2 hours on the same day which is overkill and needless attention grabbing. It happened a lot in the previous thread too.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Highwang posted:

Also, I don't think the link in the OP for IRC clients is working quite as intended. It links to the page where the post is rather than the post itself.

Oh, the url was messed up. Let me just fix that real quick.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Playing Spyro. Never really got the chance to play it as a kid so I wanted to see what all the nostalgia or whatever was about.

Done.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 28, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Streaming some Valdis Story.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 29, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Streaming Half-Minute Hero, see I used to be able to play this as a cruel joke on twitch but it's not a half minute delay anymore its like 3 minutes hyuk hyuk.

Edit: We're done here.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 2, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Playing some La-Mulana. Gonna kill a boss or two, find some items and maybe get lost a bit.

All done! I'll stream this again when I get up to a part that's not me dicking around in places I should not be.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 11, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Highwang posted:

Doubt you're gonna see this toddy, but I got a question about the thread.

I've been streaming the crap out of Odin Sphere lately, trying to finish it to completion and archiving everything. When it's all said and done, what would be the policy on having a link for this "megastream" archive on the OP?

Of course I read the threads I start.

I considered putting a list up for games with full playthroughs recorded on stream in the second post. If you can make a post detailing the game briefly with a list of your recordings (like a very brief sort of mini-OP for Odin Sphere) I could maybe set that up as a thing.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Streaming Strider and Strider 2. Maybe some La-Mulana after that, I don't know.

Edit: All done!

toddy. fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 17, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Playing Ys IV. Again.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 25, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
More Ys IV. This time at a reasonable hour I guess.

Stopping for tonight. Very close to the end, then I'll do a full run-through of Mask of the Sun to prepare for the LP thread that may or may not happen.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 26, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Finishing Ys IV: Dawn of Ys today, maybe moving on to Mask of the Sun after that.

Edit: moving onto Mask of the Sun now until I get bored

I'm going to go get food and do things that aren't play old video games. I might be back on later tonight.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 27, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Highwang posted:

Alright toddy, here's the running archive for my Odin Sphere stream. Let me know if I should make any edits.

Unquote the post and I'll use your banner image to link to that post there. That way you get your link in the second post or whatever without the OP/second post being more of a word clog than it already is. I'll post it up like this:

by Highwang

And it'll link to that post.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
More Ys IV: Mask of the Sun! Enjoy some good old fashioned SNES mediocrity while I probably grind at inopportune times because this game was designed like crap.

gently caress Mask of the Sun. loving stupid garbage. poo poo.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 2, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
http://www.hitbox.tv/entrancejew

EntranceJew is Alpha Prime. Hitting things with hammer for scientific.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Playing some Ys Origin! Hugo is having what we in the business call a Nightmare.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 12, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Behold, wideo game.

Playing crawl badly because it humors me then maybe Ys Origin Nightmare or something.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 20, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

More Ys Origin Nightmare stuff. Past halfway with Hugo. Join for lots of gameover screens and random tunes.

Cleared the Silent Sands!

toddy. fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 22, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

More Ys Origin Nightmare playthrough stuff. Tunes, grinds, little if no quality control.

wow ok gently caress that noise.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 23, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
http://www.hitbox.tv/jttoddy

It's me, I'm the joke. Ys Origin Nightmare Hugo bullcrap.

We're up to Pictimos! Gonna stop for now.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 1, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Streaming Hydorah followed by either Xanadu Next or Ys Origin. I'm stressed as hell and need to calm down and play fun games so come by and hang out!

I hate video games.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 9, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Ok I think I've had enough of a break from Hugo Nightmare so lets see if we can finally put this stupid run into the ground.

Ys Origin Hugo Nightmare. Maybe a Toal playthrough or other games later.

nope

toddy. fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 12, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Ys Origin, maybe some other stuff.

Up to the final boss of Hugo's story. Maybe next time we'll finish that and start on Toal's story?

toddy. fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 14, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Okay I have a cool idea: I post a stream that's not FTL and doesn't have a tl;dr Q&A setup like some LP in '08. Cool? Cool.

Finished Hugo Nightmare, started Toal Nightmare.
I wish I was playing a different Ys game.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 15, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I haven't played Magic Online in a while, Cube and Shadowmoor drafts are on but I have plenty of tickets so maybe we'll have some fun drafting bad decks?

That was fun. Maybe do that again before the cube goes down or something?

toddy. fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 4, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
More Magic Online cube! More fun and hilariously unplayable decks on their way!

Wow. We did not win a single match tonight. Oh well...

toddy. fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 5, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Drakenel posted:

hitbox chat functionality still sucks balls. :(

If you can rephrase that into a specific set of problems you should probably forward it to their tech support. They'll get on fixing it pretty fast.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Yes, videogames.

Volgarr the Viking, Ys Origin, whatever.

Done

toddy. fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 15, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
EntranceJew is streaming Iron.Argon. Click the dog to watch him tamper with settings and maybe flush a toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
We cube. We cube right now.
Nerd cards, get the gently caress in here.

All done.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 29, 2014

• Locked thread