Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Trying an Orthodox Ottoman HRE WC at the moment, is there a way to release nations that have provinces outside of HRE adding range (Mallorca, Azores, Iceland etc.) as HRE vassals? I tricked Aragon into becoming a HRE vassal by selling Mallorca to Spain before releasing them but Portugal always ends up putting its capital in the Azores.

I may also have released Portugal too early, if they found a new colonial nation as my vassal, will that one count as mine for the WC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Jackson Taus posted:

How does vassal-feeding work in the HRE? If I feed a vassal something they don't have a core in, are they going to give it up when the Emperor demands it?
As far as I can tell, no AI buys HRE territory it doesn't have a core on, even before the 1.4 changes. There's even a specific diplomacy modifier for it.

toasterwarrior posted:

I can confirm that colonial nations not granting colonial range has finally been fixed. Time to finish that landgrab in the New World :911:
This wasn't a universal bug because I could always colonize using my colonial nations, including land-locked provinces.

Speaking of colonial nations, I released and switched to Brazil since I'm gonna try the achievement to vassalize your former overlord, it seems like former colonial nations can create their own colonial nations. I took Portugal's poo poo in the Carribean and formed my own colonial nations there. Luckily my colonies in the La Plata region do not seem to form a new colonial nation.

On the other hand Portugal's European territories do not create any overextension, which is a bit weird.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So I have an issue. I'm playing as England and I've nabbed France and Castille through personal unions. I've currently vassalized multiple HRE members and was thinking of starting to annex them. Will the emperor demand return of HRE provinces even if I annex the nations entirely? I don't want to get into a war with them yet because I'm too busy rampaging through Asia, and I'm thinking of starting a campaign in North Africa and the middle east, and bringing down the Ottomans will be hard, since them and their allies have an ungodly amount of manpower.

Annexing gives you cores, the emperor only demands "Unlawful Territory". However you will get a stacking opinion penalty with every HRE member for each HRE vassal you annex. This penalty also applies to your own HRE vassals, on top of the standard penalty for diplo-annexing. If you don't annex them all in one go it might take a while to get the remaining ones' opinion high enough for annexation.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

A Tartan Tory posted:

Honestly though, if you are England with France and Spain in PU, you might as well do one campaign against the Emperor just to dissolve the HRE...unless you want to do a WC anyway.
Why would you do that, just become Emperor and get a diplomat, free leader, cheaper cores, bigger adviser pool, more taxes and eventually free vassals!

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Diogines posted:

The following mechanic is complete bullshit and needs to be changed: You can't westernize if you are 8 or more technologies behind the neighbor. Bullllll shiiiiiiiiit. Two games in a row I managed to make my North American Indian empire in time, of respectable size, by the time the Europeans arrived... and then could not westernize because I was too advanced. So I can keep using bows and arrows and clubs because I don't know how to use guns.... but I cant copy the Europeans barbecue I am too technologically advanced. Bull. poo poo!

Steam rolled both times.
When you reform your government you'll be 6 techs behind your western tech neighbor (2 in each branch), it shouldn't take long to drop 2 more techs below them, just don't buy any techs until you can westernize. You really only need to survive one war.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I'm about half-way through an ironman orthodox Ottoman WC and I can't decide between continuing and waiting for the patch. Cores are starting to disappear and the difficulties with vassal feeding are annoying me. The patch will alleviate that but will also add more AE, leading to bigger coalitions. I currently have a coalition of England, Castille and Muscovy against me and I'm about to move into India, I'd rather not have to fight the whole subcontinent every 5 years. How is AE with the beta patch? Should I try to finish the WC before the patch or afterwards?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Mans posted:

How did you get that coalition? I ended my Ottoman save with a fully conquered Italy and Iberian peninsula thanks to continuous wars (literally the day the truce ended) and the only thing i got was a coalition from Savoy and a Madrid only Spain.

Agressive expansion is hilariously low, i could've conquered France too if i wasn't so lazy.

Also, is it me or does religious ideas seem like the best first idea to develop as Otomans?

Muscovy has only -17 AE, GB has -43 and Castile -84 (they've been landlocked for a while, I'm currently feeding their colonies to Turkish West Indies). Those 3 plus Norway, Sweden, Munster and Hungary are the only independent countries left in that screenshot, everyone else is a HRE vassal. :)

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

And you're worried about the subcontinent ganging up on you?

Personally I'd be happy waiting or not as at this point you don't mind mega coalitions as it means you don't have to wait for peace.

Every time you get a new member to the coalition, declare war on them, annex\vas as much as you can from whoever you can, repeat every time a new member joins.

It's like free wars.

I'm not worried, I'm pretty sure I could win a war against all remaining countries combined, it's more that coalitions in India are annoying and tedious. It mainly pisses me off when they go sit on provinces working on cores. I hadn't looked at coalitions the way you described, they just annoy me.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

A Tartan Tory posted:

Yeah, this WC attempt is going well so far...

Not pictured: Muscovy being utterly shat on by Novgorod and my control of Azores/Madeira/Canaries.

How the gently caress do you get Lancasters with those stats? I celebrate when mine have average stats higher than 2 early on. I really thought they were hardcoded to be poo poo but apparently I have just bad luck.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

EU4 is 75% off at a bunch of online stores,Amazon US, Gamersgate, Bundlestars and probably more.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

unicr0n posted:

Ok so that makes a lot of sense, because the current reform is about 8 for, 22 against and I'm having a hard time getting is passed.
Also France is just getting bigger and bigger, but I've just secured alliances with Spain and Great Britain so I'm hoping I can start carving up France soon.

If you mouse over a country's shield at the bottom of the hre window, you'll see the reasons for their attitude towards reforms. Overextension generates a pretty massive penalty, so if you have any OE, it may be worth delaying an imperial liberation war or conversion until the OE is gone instead of overcoming it with more IA.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

My three colonies seems to have decent income. Mexico specially have an outstanding one. And never once they colonized anything.

I'm fairly sure that is because the AI hates colonizing tropical provinces.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Ditto, I have an Ottoman HRE save with the western half of the world and a Minghal save with the eastern half, I just can't bring myself to finish them. I wish I could merge them.

Playing Poland now and I can't get the Winged Hussars achievement to fire. I have Quality and Aristocracy, I've tried switching cavalry types, I've quit to menu and reloaded several times, it's an ironman save...

This is what the military screen looks like:

And this is the script check for the achievement:
code:
achievement_winged_hussars = {
	id = 52

possible = {
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
	}

happened = {
		has_unit_type = polish_winged_hussar
		has_global_modifier_value = {
			which = cavalry_power
			value = 0.5
		}
	}
}
Any ideas?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Jolan posted:

Only two things I can think of is that you're playing a game that you started pre-1.2 or that you didn't take the earliest starting date, but I doubt any of those is true in your case. Try quitting the game entirely (not just to main menu) and then reloading, sometimes that jostles the achievement updates.

It is in fact an old game I set aside at some point, but I can't remember how old exactly. Started a fresh game to go a different route after having a laugh at this "guide". I think Austria's AI is going nuts, declared war on Bohemia within a year to revoke electorate, now it's 1486 and they're down to 4 electors with apparently no intention to replace them.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

unicr0n posted:

Does anyone know which map mod Arumba is using in his latest play through?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWBWPKQtMVH10zNkji4JxtRR

He mentioned it being a 'visual upgrade' mode and the closest I could find was http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?756376-mod-Map-Improvement-Mod
However he's using it in Ironman mode, and this Map Improvement Mod apparently doesn't work in Ironman (when Ironman is actually working)

It's http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=253263609 but not the workshop version, the second download link called "With Terrain Shadows" is ironman compatible.
Looked through the videos a bit, Armuba is much more aggressive in CK2 than EU4, I don't think he's gonna get the WC at his current pace. I guess he just needs a bit more experience, his start was pretty messy and he blew a perfectly good chance to release an OPM orthodox Persia as vassal and didn't even know it.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

quote:

When you start to diplomatically annex a country, doing so will have a ticking cost of up to 15 diplomatic points per month. When your point expenditure reaches the country's total base tax * 15 (so a base tax 10 country would take 150 diplomatic points to annex), the country will be annexed. This means that diplomatic annexation is no longer a 'free' alternative to outright conquest, but uses a different kind of points and allows you avoid all the nationalist problems you get from just taking the provinces.
Boo! Does this replace the current annexation system, making annexations quicker and independent from diplo rep, culture group etc? Does it also apply to PU integration?

quote:

If you've ever felt that it is a bit silly that Tangiers is considered a distant overseas province to Castile, we have some good news. The way we calculate overseas provinces has been changed so that provinces within a certain distance from your capital (roughly the distance between Italy and Libya) no longer count as being overseas provinces, allowing you to get the full tax, manpower and forcelimit benefits from those provinces.
Do provinces outside of that range but connected by land to a province within the range count as overseas?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Spaseman posted:

No, I just tested it with the Mayans and they had their old religion.

I haven't tried this recently but they should switch if you convert their capital before releasing.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Trying to finish my Minghal game before the DLC and I can't figure out why I can't use the "Unify Islam" decision. All the listed provinces are Sunni as far as I can tell.

Ed: Nevermind, I guess all_owned_province is for all my provinces, not just the ones listed in the decision. I still have a bunch of Confucian provinces, waiting for the +1 base tax events that convert them to Buddhist. :(

Vodos fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 27, 2014

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

GMG has the new DLC for sale and already sent out keys. If you buy only WoN you can't use the current 20% off voucher ZMMIEX-EW1476-0PNL11 since it's below the 10€ limit, but if you add one cosmetic DLC you can use it, basically getting you the cosmetic DLC for free.

Ed: Patch notes are up, too big to paste here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?778277-Patchnotes-1.6

Vodos fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 29, 2014

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

quote:

- AE reduction for losing provinces, vassals etc is no longer global.

JakeDDR's AE dump is gone :cry:

quote:

- You can no longer declare war on a country you have guaranteed.
- Revoking a guarantee on a nation now gives you a truce. Only one way though, for the one doing the guarantee.
I know this makes sense but I'm still sad that it was changed, always made me chuckle because guaranteeing independence means "you'll get conquered soon".

quote:

- Removed the diplomatic idea revolution&counter-revolution, and added in "Benign Diplomats", which gives +25% better improve relations and imperial relations.
Does that mean the "Change government" CB is gone now?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Game and various older DLC are 75% off on Steam as weekend deal. For some reason CoP itself is 75% off, its music pack is also reduced but the unit packs are not.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I'm only a few decades into a new game but it seems like everyone including the AI are getting their asses kicked by nationalist rebels, the only nation that is able to squash them reliably is France. Even Austria lost its conquests back to rebels.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

The rebel thing is getting worse as the game progresses, but this one I don't even understand. Saxon patriots with the Brandenburg flag (Poland)? What? Saxony has nationalism in Saxony, why?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Playing Gelre -> Netherlands, the worst thing EVER has happened in my game, my Brazilian and Caribbean colonial nations still have Gelre's map color instead of glorious Oranje! New CNs get the proper color, I just don't know how to get the old ones to switch (ironman mode).

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Bishop Rodan posted:

So my colonies aren't giving me trade power anymore. No wonder my income went into the shitter.

Working fine in my game, so it's not a general problem.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

It seems like its easier to get 3 colonists earlier since expansion is now an adm idea.

There's also a policy for a 4th unlocked by filling out Exploration + Expansion.

My European 20-stack losing to an African rebel 22-stack in Timbuktu, killing over half of my guys is totally ruining my immersion. Hotfix it more!

Ed: Also fix that drat lying tooltip for claim fabrication. 0.06% chance of discovery per month my rear end.

Vodos fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 31, 2014

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

No, 6% per month would be. They forgot to translate 0.06 into 6% and got 0.06%
Are you sure that's it? The claims displaying i.e. 4.3% chance of discovery certainly aren't actually 430%.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

axeil posted:

Is westernization even something worthwhile anymore? With the equalization of unit pips the advantage of westernizing is now what, 1 or 2 unit pips over the entire game? I'm wondering if Paradox should just drop westernization all together. Seems like it doesn't serve much of a purpose anymore.

You don't get Western units anymore, the only advantage is the tech cost/removal of MP penalties.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Lord Binky posted:

edit Great Britain has had only 10 ships for over a decade, all of them light. They haven't fought any wars. What the heck?
In my Netherlands game England hasn't built any troops or ships in over 30 years after I trashed them a few times to steal their colonies. They haven't colonized either, it's like the AI just gave up.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Sounds like diplo-vassalizing is even more powerful now, especially with these loving nationalist rebels.
What Kersch is doing is not diplo-vassalizing, they patched out the ability to diplo-vassalize countries of that size a long time ago. Anyway look at the the 129.7 AE, that's probably enough to get every remaining christian country on the planet to join a coalition. On the other hand, paying only 50 dip for that must be nice. Maybe you can go on a crazy truce-breaking world war spree at adm 26 or 29 and vassalize everyone for a WC. Especially if the vassalization warscore costs are further scaled down in huge coalition wars.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Found another misleading tooltip, the trade company screen says that the TC increases goods produced by non-western countries by x%.

Looking at a 5 base tax province, they get +0.12. It is also mislabeled as bonus from merchant republics, there is no merchant republic trading in the node.

Looking at a 1 base tax province, they get +0.12 too. So you really get only x% of 1 from the trade company. The tooltip in the trade screen should just say increases goods produced by 0.x because I can't find anything that would actually modify that number.

Also, is this supposed to happen?

Having the natives to a default government like feudal monarchy when they reform would be more sensible, it's a bit silly when they copy a supposedly unique government type.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

But you can turn orthodox via rebels and get into HRE, so that can be -108% total then. Russian ideas has -15% coring compared to Ottoman -33%.
If it works as it did with Minghals it will be capped at 10% admin point cost but take no time at all.
Expansion is less immediate useful to Ottomans though, there aren't any lands they can colonize in surroundings.

Loaded up my save and I guess 5 months is the minimum time.

Ed: Loading up my Minghal game, I see that Inward Perfection is back despite me being westernized and a merchant republic (that was for the -50% AE CB that is now gone). I still have western units though. Glad I got that WC done before 1.6!

Vodos fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 2, 2014

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Allyn posted:

Aha, that does indeed seem to be how it works. In which case the tooltip saying "Can Fabricate Claims on any overseas province" is pretty off :) If memory serves it used to work as the tooltip says, which is why I was confused. Guess they changed it.

I think the "overseas" in the tooltip refers to the owner's overseas status, not yours.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

david... posted:

Ironman I'm afraid, I couldn't even begin to consider trying it, I had 90k men with my maintenance pretty much off and one of my stacks stationed in Barcelona so they would have been immediately wiped out I think.

You could have moved that stack to a safe province, you can keep the event window open for something like 2 months while preparing.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Gold income is now tied to base tax through the new goods mechanism, so Siberian gold provinces are poo poo either way.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

They're talking about peace deals that are refused despite having a green check mark when they were sent. Like Pitt said, this can happen if for example you send the deal while paused and then send your besieging armies or blockading fleets home before unpausing. All the lifted sieges while change the AI's attitude and may result in a refused deal.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Disco Infiva posted:

Conquistadors and explorers have penalty to their combat stats, so the generals are more viable in a war.

What makes you say that, I can find no hint of that in the game or the wiki?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Sorced posted:

Need some confirmation on this: if I form germany as the hansa I stay a republic and I still have hanseatic ideas. Correct?

The decision's tooltip on the envelope with the check mark tells you if there's going to be a government type or idea group change.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Wiz, did you get chance to check whether there's really differences between generals and conquistadors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

A few post further down there's this:

Epinephrine posted:

Is this a recent change? A few people on reddit and the Paradox forums ran tests with regards to this back in the fall or January or whenever and found no meaningful difference in the overall number of pips.

Wiz posted:

I'm pretty sure there's always been a difference, but I'll look it up when I'm at work tomorrow.

• Locked thread