Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Evanescence. I thought their music was so dark and emotional. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Man.

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I bet I liked shittier anime than you! Oh, to be a annoying 14-year-old weeaboo again. Now I'm just an annoying 24-year-old non-weeaboo.

Holy poo poo, even I was too good for Weiss Kreuz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pinball posted:

No. Her usual style - besides the 'man in love with horse' novel which made me cry hysterically when I read it at the age of eleven because blah blah heroic sacrifice - is to have a gay man with silver eyes who loves fashion be shat upon by the universe because. God, the Magic trilogy was hysterically awful.

Anne McCaffrey's Pern is not much better. Very rapey, actually.

I hate McCaffrey's works far more than Lackey's. At least Lackey's are hilarious.

"Woah, people are so surprised we're in love because Companions and their heroes traditionally don't fall in love!" "Yes right because she is a horse??"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rollersnake posted:

Gargoyles, though, used to be my favorite show. I'm hoping it's held up well like Batman: The Animated Series, but it was just another Ninja Turtles, right? With occasional Shakespeare references to make the precocious kids feel smart.

No, it's actually very well-done. I think it's probably one of the better supernatural soap operas ever made, actually.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For years, I didn't realize we were supposed to have a problem with all the trees being cut to the same height :(. It seemed fair to me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I genuinely think it meant something different to be an anime fan in the mid 90s than it did to be one in the mid 00s or god forbid these mid 10s. It was never something I'd call a "good" or noble feature, but being way too into Akira or Vampire Hunter D is a wee different than being really into Lucky Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuLO66xoutg

Linked: the song "Au Revoir", by Japanese goth band Malice Mizer

This poo poo. This was my jam of '97-'98 right here. The lead singer used to perform under the conceit that he was an immortal vampire rocker (like Lestat from the Anne Rice books and....oh god, I just remember I liked Anne Rice books too). I was internetting early (proto-goon) and downloading audio clips from geocities fan websites, listening via my realmeadia player and winamp (remember winamp skins?). I seriously thought I was so much cooler than my peers who liked their lovely Spice Girls and Hansen. UGH they just don't get REAL ART.

I had never seen the accompanying music video until just now, kinda sad I didn't know this existed because it's so awful it almost comes off as satire. It's from Japan in the 90s, which means it feels like it's from America in the 80s. Serious goth faces looking to camera while lurching around an empty room. Flowers wilting. Mournfully peering out windows. Crappy handicam footage of a walk in the park during fall.

I once imported a Malice Mizer CD for like forty bucks when I was in middle school. That was hard, since I had very, very little money growing up. Forty loving dollars.

• Locked thread