Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In approximate order of age when I liked the things:

Beast Wars. You know how sometimes you watch a cartoon from your childhood and you like it because of nostalgia and/or it's actually well-written for what it is, like Hey Arnold or the Rugrats? Well fire up Beast Wars on Netflix some time and see how far off it is from that level. The animation is literally the worst I've ever seen in any medium, even relative to the time.

Adventure Quest. There were factions at my middle school between people who played this game and people who played Runescape, but the fact of the matter is that it's pretty lame. Thankfully I never paid to play, which you eventually had to do when it got too big. My username is actually the one I came up with in sixth grade, when I thought it sounded LOL so random! I'm really bad at coming up with usernames when I actually sign up for things so I still use it on this site. I don't feel like paying money to change it.

The song "Walk" by Pantera. Just the dumbest meathead brodown song ever made. Pantera in general don't age well but this song is just embarrassing. NOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAY PUNK

Van Helsing. I feel like I don't need to elaborate.

Daredevil. Same as above.

Any Adam Sandler movie. I still love Mr. Deeds and Happy Gilmore, but there was a time when I thought Anger Management and the Longest Yard remake were worth getting on DVD. I do genuinely like his roles in Punch Drunk Love, Funny People and Reign Over Me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Death metal is still the home of some of the best bands in metal as a whole (and always has been), but alright then.

EDIT: The power and prog metal post reminded me that I liked Dragonforce for a bit though.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 23:00 on Feb 3, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

I used to think Gamefaqs message boards were pretty cool when they were the only forums I had ever seen, in like 2000. I was a VET in the Poll of the Day forum :smuggo:. Then I found out about any other forum anywhere.

I still post on GameFAQs music boards, mostly the metal board, out of habit I guess (I've been doing it since 8th grade. Same with IMDb, which has some of the most hilarious forums drama you'll ever see made worse by the fact that half the users are middle-aged). It's actually a fairly knowledgeable board, at least as much as NMD, if not more. It's just brought down heavily by being GameFAQs and it's kind of slow-moving. I avoid the rest of both sites like the plague.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thank you for reminding me that I was a regular on "Random Insanity" once upon a time. That's embarrassing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I used to wear "funny" t-shirts almost exclusively. To be fair I think I had better taste in them then the ones about having voices in your head or whatever.

Later I switched to band t-shirts all the time by which I mean I still do this

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

shoelace posted:

coloured hair gel and sonic adventure 2.

i was not a very cool kid.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle loving rules and yes I have played it in recent years to confirm that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

shoelace posted:

oh, it's still a fun game for sure. i just didn't realize how loving goofy it was. i mean, for christ sake, robotnik blows up the moon with an orbital laser that looks like his face, and sonic and tails ride in a limo with the president of the united states.

for content, i loved the "land before time" movies when i was little, and boy, those DO NOT hold up.

Don't forget the music. All of the Knuckles levels feature rap songs about being a treasure-hunting echidna.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Personally I think Seanbaby's best work is when he rips apart Gregory JP Godek books. Much funnier than Maddox.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Strangely I never read the Star Wars novels but I did read the Essential Guide to Characters and the Guide to Alien Species. I really liked those kinds of spergy world-building things I guess. I also really enjoyed reading Monster Manuals even though I was never big on D&D.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh no, not bad lyrics in a prog rock band! Peart actually denounced Ayn Rand at some point I think.

Sometimes I forget that people care about vocals and when they tell me Rush suck because of Geddy Lee's voice I just look at them quizzically.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

itrorev posted:

Mad Magazine. I used to absolutley LOVE them when I was a teenager, that was pretty much the funniest poo poo I had ever seen. I would get my parents to buy me one every time I saw them on newstand.

I picked one up a few years back while sitting in a bookstore and distinctly recall being completely unable to laugh at a single thing. I guess there's someone in the world who still likes them because they're apparently profitable.

I still get a chuckle out of Far Side, though.

They're only "profitable" because they switched to a quarterly format, which is just sad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rammstein suck for a lot of reasons. I don't understand how they got so successful in the US besides their live show. Does anyone who actually listens to more than five metal bands like them or do kids just go "whoa this music is so angry and German it's amazing!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Well yeah. I had no idea there were any Nazi associations with Rammstein until I this thread. I also listen to Infernal War (who seem pretty anti-Semitic, though it may just be scorn for all religion [also I'm Jewish]) and Arghoslent (who are basically pro-slavery) so I would never make that accusation. I just think Rammstein are really lovely.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ramadu posted:

But there aren't any Nazi associations with Rammstein :confused: I mean, other than both being German.

I didn't say that they had a basis in reality, just that I never heard about them until they were insinuated earlier in this thread.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Are you talking about Christina H.? She might be the least funny person on the internet. Her article on how she doesn't understand football set women back years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Febreeze posted:

Yeah, that was her actually. Funnily enough that Football article is what caused me to stop reading cracked completely. I couldn't believe I was reading that garbage on an actual widespread comedy site and not some in some terrible live journal in a mock thread.

They've still got some good columnists. You've just gotta know who to avoid. It's certainly not something I read daily anymore, but it's great when you need something to read on the toilet or just to kill time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks for bumping a month-and-a-half old thread to tell us

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

gently caress you for reminding me of Nightwish. I used to think "Dead Boy's Poem" was so loving deep and sad.

I wish somebody had grabbed me at 13 and made me listen to None So Vile. If I could go back in time that's what I'd do. Set young me straight on metal.

I'm not sure many 13-year-olds can handle Lord Worm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jeherrin posted:

I dunno, I still do this. Coding marathon required? Load up a Richie Hawtin mix and batter that poo poo into submission. Usually at 2am, lit only by my screen and backlit keyboard.

I find that kind of music incredibly good to work to.

But what I used to work to, oh God... if we're talking about terrible music tastes, well... it pains me to think of all the terrible melodic doom/death I used to listen to. Swallow The Sun and My Dying Bride were probably the worst offenders for 'awful cheesy lyrics about women and blood'. I also used to listen to Christian metalcore (step up, As I Lay Dying and Norma Jean) a lot. And angsty highschool/burgeoning alcoholic years? That would be Evanescence and StoneSour, because they described my pain and alienation, man.
My Dying Bride are a genuinely great band even if they have cheesy lyrics. AILD, Norma Jean and Evanescence, though? Yeesh.

• Locked thread