Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

In early high school, nearly half my wardrobe came from Hot Topic. Overpriced cheaply-made trenchcoats, pants with studs and pointless straps, Doc Marten rip-offs, and Invader ZIM t-shirts were my typical outfit. On top of all, I attempted to grow a luscious head of Viking hair. My hair is curly as gently caress, so I wound up looking like a mall goth version of Samwise Gamgee. I also got heavily into Black Metal, including the stuff made by honest-to-God neo-nazis.

:negative:

I now dress extremely conservatively and listen almost exclusively to classical music. Fun fact: I got into folk music through folk metal and deciding that I really liked the folk elements of the music more than anything else. Go figure.

Also, Nthing Star Wars Novels, although I maintain to this day that the Timothy Zahn novels are still top quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Promoted Pawn posted:

Truth. The only part of the EU that deserves to survive the impending canon-cide, but it inevitably won't since it directly clashes with Disney wanting to make Episodes 7-9.

They'll always be Episodes 7-9 in my heart. :unsmith:

Truly, they will be the Dune Encyclopedia of the Star Wars series.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ulvir posted:

The rise of NSBM was what made me drop the genre alltogether, actually. I still return once every blue moon when Darkthrone releases a new album, but other than that, I'm done.

I used to be heavily into death and thrash metal, and for the longest time didn't wear anything but worn-out band sweaters and leather jackets. I even frequented a whole ton of metal forums, until I realised the common attitude there was "we're all better than everyone else". They also attracted a lot of nazis.

Like everyone else in this thread, I was also into anime.

Oh God, the sympathy for Nazism and the whole generic more-reactionary-than-thou attitude in metal communities was (and still is?) downright shameful. Metal Archives especially was notorious for this (although they at least banned people consistently).

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

kannonfodder posted:

Sounds to me more like you just suck at playing RPGs. I've been doing it for 2 years, with a couple pauses, and several different groups, and it has been nothing but a ton of fun.

The last time I played it was in college, when groups were decided by the Gaming Club at random. While I had fun with it, the main problems I ran into that prevent me from picking it up again are (a) it's way too time consuming; it takes about an hour to finish one battle, especially if you have that one guy in the group who insists on rules lawyering and (b) the DMs were always way too timid to let any of us "lose". Admittedly, I might have gotten more out of it if I took the time to study the rules, as it seemed the group that had the most fun was the advanced players with their psionic god-killing weretigers.

• Locked thread