Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

AcetylCoA! posted:

As I recall - every nationality had a stereotype - the Arends were hot-headed; some other nation was populated by Ren-faire rejects. I found Silk incredibly obnoxious - especially since I was supposed to identify with Polgara and Ce'nedra. How come the boys get this cool badass whatever dude and I get the most useless immortal witch ever.

It got even worse in her biographical stand alone novel "the sorceress Polgara" because one of her defining traits was the fact that she hated her father for leaving her mother, who then died from childbirth. In the original novels eventually it reveals that her mother actually survived and reconnected with her family, but in the biographical novel it was also revealed that Polgara was in lifelong constant psychic contact with her mother, never told her dad she was still alive and let him grieve over her for hundreds of years. Also her father didn't leave her mother, but was instead forced to be away on a quest, which Polgara also knew. So there was literally zero excuse for her hating him all her life, and in fact it was HE who deserved to hate HER for keeping this information to herself. I used to love these books as a teen, but now I realize they are just Xanth with loving.

Which brings me to my next terrible thing: loving Xanth novels. I read every single loving one of those until "Yon Ill Wind" and memorized the character backstories for every character. I actually cried when Grundy the Golem became flesh. They were easily understood fantasy for kids books for the longest time until Piers Anthony got bit by a vampire Pedobear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

To contribute, those Disney Afternoon cartoons don't hold up well when you pick up the DVD set for nostalgia's sake. Take TaleSpin for instance: I still think the concept is pretty awesome, and the multipart series pilot deserves its Emmy, but the series proper is garbage in execution.

I haven't got the heart to watch Darkwing Duck or Gargoyles again. I don't think I could stand the disappointment.

oh God oh God my childhood.

I was loving obsessed with Roger Rabbit, Tale Spin, Tiny Toons, and Darkwing Duck to the point of memorizing the loving voice actor cast lists. It's been twenty years and I still occasionally go "Oh! That's Rob Paulsen narrating this AFV knockoff I'm currently watching!" or "Ninja Turtles just isn't the same without Townsend Coleman" or "Hey, that pigeon is Frank Welker!"

I also used to draw self made characters inspired by the designs of these shows, and it was wonderful until I discovered furries. Anthropomorphic animals should never have sex. Ever.
But I did recently rematch the Darkwing Duck pilot and it's still loving ace.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

To be slightly fair, Belgarath fucks off for like 15 years in a nervous breakdown of sorts which is more why she hates him. But yeah, the way she treats him when a lot of the bad stuff was beyond his control was pretty awful as well.

Well, if she had said to him "Don't be sad father, mother has left on a mission for the Gods and will be with you again some day, want to send her a message through my psychic wolf Internet?" he wouldn't have lost his poo poo as hard as he did.

Polgara was always trumped up as being perfect at everything, and that pissed me off more than anything else. Literally everything she did was better than everyone else ever. Another character can sing? Well Polgara can sing with three voices at once. Character can cook? Well Polgara is such a good chef she can make a gourmet meal in the middle of the woods. Character is an excellent dancer? Well Polgara is an immortal half wolf psychic animagus Earth mother martial artist sorceress master gardener who is Also so beautiful in every way that literal legends have been written about her beauty and the suitors that have come from all over the world but she's so very humble that she instead chose a simple farmhand as her mate because she's that wonderful. The only thing missing is urple eyes and she'd be a Harry Potter fanfic OC.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I used to love Dave Matthews Band. Like, I still enjoy them, but I used to exclusively listen to them until my mid 20's. I was so obsessed that I nearly named one of my kids after them. My now 14 year old was almost named David Matthew Brand. Yeah, really. Thankfully my mom threatened to disown me so now the only shame he feels is being related to Russell Brand.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I used to love this thread.

Months ago.

Real answer: my ex husband. He seemed like such a nice guy, a Christian who accepted my being Jewish. That is until he latched on to Judaism like a crazed leech, turned into a "messianic" and started constantly psychologically abusing me because I didn't wear a headscarf all the time and I ate pork and wasn't "acting Jewish" enough. He couldn't keep a job as a plumber because every time he'd go into a customers home and they had non "messianic" images or symbols he'd berate them and try to "save them from hell with the love of Yeshua Ha'Machiac" and get his rear end fired. Then he started collecting guns and ranting about the "lie-berel media" and how Mexicans were stealing jobs and the government shouldn't help people who won't help themselves (all while collecting SSI benefits he didn't actually deserve.) Did I mention I'm a liberal and my grandpa was Mexican? That didn't last long.

Now I'm married to a perfectly sane pork loving Welshman who loves the Democrats and his best friend is also a pork eating Jew. He also laughs when anyone says "Yeshua Ha'Machiac" because that poo poo sounds hilarious.

I also used to love MLP, but I was 6 so I think that one's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

The Crotch posted:

So, uh... just throwing this out there, but did he ever serve in Vietnam?

nah, too young. But he does subscribe to "Urban Warrior Magazine".

• Locked thread