Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What should you be looking for when you're trading someone who's a high pick in a keeper league? I currently have Verlander and Zimmerman in my second and third respectively and I have zero idea how to value them compared to lower round selections. Typically I have an irrational clinging to higher picks regardless of any regression or what not. Should I even consider any lower pick guys and use them as a keeper (say, getting Michael Wacha at round 24), therefore freeing up my second rounder for someone else?

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

There's an important thing you should consider about Keeper Value, and that's where you expect the players you're keeping to be drafted.

Also if you really have Wacha at 24 and you're not keeping him then you're insane.

I agree!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

DoctaFun posted:

The only way I would keep a first 3 round pick is if it's someone that is the best at their position and a guaranteed 1st-2nd rounder. So if you have a guy like Trout/Miggy for a first round pick, or maybe you got lucky and someone like Kershaw in the 3rd or 4th round. For the absolute studs it's not as much about 'value', it's more about getting the best player at a position. Miggy is just so much better than any other 3B that even though he's your 1st round pick, you still get good value out of it. Meanwhile if you keep Prince Fielder in the 1st or 2nd round, well that's not great value because you could draft Votto/Goldschmidt/Encarnacion with your 1st or 2nd round pick and be no worse for the wear.

Now picking Verlander in the 2nd round might not bring the same value. Let's say he pitches in between his '12 and '13 numbers, there are still a half dozen other pitchers that will put up similar numbers, some of which might fall to the 3rd or 4th round depending on how much your league values pitching. Guys like Wainwright, Scherzer, Sale, Darvish, Felix, etc. So you're not getting any value with that pick.

I think keeping Zimmerman in the 3rd round would be a mistake, I think there are better 3rd rounders out there.

If you have a guy that you drafted in the 24th round who is going to go in the 10th round this year, then that is a GREAT keeper. No one else can keep Verlander or Zimmerman so if you really want them on your team you'll still have an opportunity to draft them.

Now, when it comes to trading these players, that's a whole different ballgame. A guy like Wacha in the 24th round has HUGE trade value. If you traded him for lets say Prince Fielder in the 2nd round, you'd probably be getting the short end of the stick. The reason being you could just draft a 1B like Fielder in the 2nd round on your own and still keep Wacha. Meanwhile the other guy is opening up a 2nd round pick(where he could draft say Paul Goldschmidt or something) AND getting a really good young pitcher in the 24th round, which is garbage time.

How many keepers do you get and what does your team look like?

Let's take a look!

To go into the entire draft order and who's a keeper would be a bit much, I think. The keepers I currently have from last year are:

1 - Tulo
2 - Verlander
3- Zimmerman
6 - Bourn
8 - Rios
9 - Freeman
15 - Kendrick
21 - Vargas
22 - Brantley

via trade was 15 - Taveras
16 - Bauer
22 - Myers

You can keep ten players.

This is a 12 team keeper league that I inherited from someone who just didn't have the time.
Ten keepers.
1-6 stays in that slot.
7-9 +1 round
10-15 +2 rounds
16+ +3 rounds

So Wil Myers would be in my 19th slot for next year.

There also will be an NA slot this year for people who are not available. So if Taveras doesn't play until May, he can be stashed there for a while.

Oh yeah, stats for bats:
R HR RBI SB OBP SLG

Stats for Pitchers:

W K ERA WHIP NSVH

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 5, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Something that came across my inbox just now was Verlander for Bruce + Anibal Sanchez or Johnny Cueto + A Pick

Bruce was in round five (so roughly was picked up in the 55th slot) and Sanchez is in round 12.

I would imagine that for that second round pick I might be able to get something good. However, with 12 teams that makes for 120 keepers.

It's just a hugely different way of doing things than I'm used to.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Deal got switched to Bruce + Cueto + a ninth round pick for Verlander + a 24th. Cueto was in the 11th last year.

You can only keep one first rounder, one second rounder, etc. That way someone doesn't trade for Cano, etc etc and have a stack of first rounders forever.

Wheeler was undrafted last year and his ADP 195, so he would be considered a 16th round keeper this year.

Perkins was an 18th round selection last year. He would be bumped up to a 15th round selection this year.

Cashner was undrafted last year and his ADP is 202, so he would be considered a 16th round keeper this year.

If you trade for a pick, you can use that traded for pick as an additional keeper slot for that round.

If you have 2 players with the same slot, you can keep both, but you have to move one of them up a slot. For example you have round 15 keeper and 2 round 16 keepers: You move the 15 up to 14, the 16 up to 15, etc..

Rios and Bourn is an interesting, speedy combination. Why not take the chance on Springer? His K rate is scary high in the minors would be my guess.

This makes my head hurt.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I turned Verlander at 2 into Cueto at nine, Grey at 17, Bruce at 5 and a ninth and a 21st pick.

Sure.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

uublog posted:

Yeah, that's fair. QS are okay, but yeah, wins are just plain awful. The problem I find is that, if you use QS out of a necessity, you still don't really have enough categories without going to something really obscure. QS, K, ERA, WHIP...?

My league uses QS K WHIP ERA SVHD and now hr/9

Dunno how I feel about that

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Anyone interested in joining an auction league? I'm Yahoo ID# 54396, A League for Idiots. 6x6 scoring, with OBP and BB/K as the added categories. 16 teams, Mixed league, Positions are C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P, 5 BN, 2 DL spots for 25 overall. I promise to be the bestest commissioner ever!!! Draft is currently set for 8 EST tonight, so join quick I guess. I'm gonna post this on twitter as well, so hopefully we can get going by this evening.

edit; referral link: http://y.ahoo.it/A9Wruc38

Can you be bad at this and still join

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Here's what I ended up with (we use SVHLDs and OBP instead of average)
Keepers listed with a K

C - Yadier Molina
1B - Jose Abreu
2B - Daniel Murphy
3B - David Freese
SS - Troy Tulowitzki (K)
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Jay Bruce (traded for)[K]
OF - Alex Rios [K]
UTIL - Adrian Gonzalez
UTIL - Freddie Freeman [K]
BN - Oscar Taveras [K]
BN - George Springer [K]
BN - Kris Bryant
BN - Wil Myers [K]

SP - Cueto [K], Hamels, Ivan Nova, Tyson Ross, Sonny Gray[K]
RP - Jim Henderson, Rafael Soriano, Papelbon
BN - Taijuan Walker, Noah Syndergard

That means my bench has four inactives right now, jeez. God my relief pitching is terrible in a 12-team.

But who cares closers and relievers are all bungholes.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Jose Abreu is a golden god

I almost traded David Murphy for Evan Longoria but my league vetoed it

I was hoping that everyone was too drunk on the weekend to notice.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

This plouffe/Francisco platoon better work

Also gently caress Verlander. I shouldn't be so scared to play you.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Jdubs posted:

Thank you Goons for delivering me George Springer. Thank you so so much.

What up Springer bro

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress bad Justin Verlander forever and ever

On the plus side it's almost June

Come on up taveras and singleton

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Doltos posted:

That's my favorite as well.

Also what should I be offering for Springer? I sent a bunch of insulting trade offers to the guy who owns him and Cano that he obviously would shoot down.

Keeper or non keeper?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I'm really hoping Kris Bryant pans out next year because I am seriously thinking of using a keeper on him

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Stroman looked loving nasty. Is he going to stay up?

And what should I be looking to deal right now on this team, 12 team keeper:

C: Molina
1B: Abreu
2B: Daniel Murphy
3B: Plouffe
SS: Tulowizki
OF: Rios
OF: Springer
OF: Taveras
UTIL: Freeman
UTIL: Elsbury
BN: Myers
BN: Jay Bruce
BN: Kris Bryant
_

SP: Beckett
SP: Fister
SP: Hamels
SP: Gray
SP: Lester
SP: Johnny Cueto
SP: Noah Syndergaard
SP: Marcus Stroman
SP: Taijuan Walker (DL)
RP: Papelbon
RP: Ottavino
RP: Will Smith

If we want to go into keeper specifics I can add them.

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 2, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Cuetos injury history and delivery worries me, maybe trade him while he's hot? Same with Beckett off the no hitter. Im in 11th place though, see above, so by no means an expert.I'd try to get a 3B if you could. Maybe Lonnie Chisenhall is sitting on the waiver wire? He had a top prospect pedigree before he flamed out and started hitting again this year.

Nah, Chisenhall is taken. Cueto's injury history worries me, but I'd probably look to dump him later on. I think unless he does injure himself he's legit based off of last year.

I'm in first with a 5 game lead over the next two guys, after that it's 13+ all the way down.

I feel bad for the guy who is 36 games out. He makes so many moves and tries really hard. :smith:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That guy is me right now. I would think there would be some deal you could make for a 3B somewhere along the line. It's fairly deep and there are a lot of multi-eligibility guys at the position.

Plouffe really isn't hurting me. He's been able as productive as David Wright as a waiver wire pickup. I split him with Francisco for a while, too.

On the plus side I get to keep Taveras, Springer, Gray, Freeman, and Abreu for years. :getin:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Doltos posted:

Welp snagged Polanco and Singleton. What can I expect out of these guys?

Dingers and strikeouts from Singleton.

Polanco is an all around guy.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pardon me while I jizz over knowing I get to keep Jose abreu forever

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress Will Myers

I have him with a super low keeper but I'm very close to dropping him

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing I keep Wil Myers since I have him slotted in like the 17th round but I'm real fuckin' tired of him.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing I hold onto Wil Myers since I got him in the 17th of 26 rounds but man has he been a disappointment this year

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Should I sell Beckett now? Also roark is still out there in free agency somehow.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

ChiTownEddie posted:

If I thought that I could get a decent hitter back and pick up Roark, I'd definitely sell. To me that is basically just getting a decent hitter for free. ...Except that I think Roark will be better ROS than Beckett.

That's what I thought. I need to drop a player right now while the trade is going through to get roark. I'm looking to get Rendon from the guy.

Bench + pitchers

Taveras
Kris Bryant
Cueto
Beckett
Lester
Gray
Fister
Walker
Syndergard
Stroman

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I always assume a hot rookie is going to perform at league average when they come up

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Trading Verlander for Fister makes me happier and happier

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

That's some balls. Did you try for anything better than Fister and just no takers?

Also got ellsbury for agon

Fister 15th round
Ellsbury 7th round

Verlander 2nd
Agon 4th

:getin:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I want to make a trade but everyone in the league has basically told me to gently caress off after being in first place for seven straight weeks

I feel like I have too much pitching and I could use a player to spell springer when he's slumping, or a better 3b then castellanos. But I don't feel like dropping dudes I should be able to get value for.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

FINALLY, A DISAPPOINTING RED SOX PROSPECT TO REPLACE CURRENT DISAPPOINTING RED SOX PROSPECT, XANDER BOGAERTS.

Lol

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I have three na guys buti dunno ifi should get rid of Polanco Kris Bryant or Syndergard in a keeper league

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Moe_Rahn posted:

Cueto went at 143 and 138 in each of my leagues. I got Jose Abreu at 171 and 212, he has definitely been my steal of the year.

I have tulo abreu and springer in my keeper league of a garbage team I took over

Dingers

Speaking of dudes do I drop yadi and keep the mets catcher

Someone drafted him at like pick 200 and dropped him and right how my starter since yadi is hurt. I only have one dl spot and Myers is in it.

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 14, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress 1 dl slot keeper leagues

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Keeper league, twelve team

Taveras (9th round) and Syndergard (19th Round) for Pineda (24th Round)

I'm already keeping Springer(15) and Ellsbury(4).

Thoughts?

weas posted:

Soler is getting called up.

I still have Bryant on my bench. :argh:

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 27, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

:(

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Sonny Gray noooo

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I won home runs with two home runs total. How in the gently caress

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I miss Springer and Tulo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Well I took a team that was dogshit and dead last and wound up in third so I'm happy.

Now to figure out who to keep and who to chuck/trade.

Edit2: I actually have an offer for Taveras and Syndergard for Pineda. Pineda someone drafted last you in the absolute final round of the draft, with Taveras I have at 13 and Syndergard at 21, so that'll be 11 and 18 in terms of keeper spots, while Pineda will be in like the 22nd round.

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 6, 2014

• Locked thread