Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Unless you're transferring them you aren't really microing your SCVs, ever. They're very 'set and forget'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Purge the Unclean!

The protoss have been good buds with us for a while and Hansen's ability to create a cure is spurious at best.

The fact that she actually succeeds in the other path is extraneous. As someone else said it's so ridiculously saccharine it's silly

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There's two or three mission plotlines that all unlock following missions in their sequence, you can blitz one path and finish it before the others, or unlock a unit on one path that makes another path's missions a complete joke.

For instance most of the missions assume that you don't have Vikings so you can do terrible things to the AI that don't have counters to said unit in their spawn routine.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Star Man posted:

Abathur is like the one good thing about Heart of the Swarm. And I liked Dehaka.

ESSENCE!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

A Curvy Goonette posted:

They're all awful mouthpieces for Metzen's hack exposition and Abathur is only okay because of his speech patterns.

And because he quite frankly doesn't give two shits about Kerrigan's motivation as long as he has races to devour.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Aces High posted:

yeah, gently caress the Asari

There are several people who wish to do that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Given their casualty rates, Starship Troopers would be more like Guardsmen. But they don't shoot glowlights so the comparison breaks down there.

Also no cathedral ships.

Well in Starship Troopers 3, Milsec discovers this strange new thing known as "religion" and cranks the empire of humanity dial up to 10.

It's also not a very good movie.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hel's Angels, Ripwave Missiles, Hive Mind Emulator.

Advanced medic facilities isn't worth it in a world where tech reactors exist.

evilmiera posted:

Which is actually a bit sad, because you can look like a group of badasses or at the very least, distinct. I liked the older orcs for instance because instead of rooting for whichever one you felt was most good, you'd wonder how they would screw over their enemies or allies next.

And Metzen breaks his own rule as far as the burning legion is concerned. But only *some* of the demons. He did some weird handwaving with the eredar that confused a bunch of people.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You say hair-a-culls instead of hair-a-cleese?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm pretty sure "How does she get her hair like that? Abathur's Zergal Essences! - Let's Play Heart of the Swarm" is too long.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The "Canon" of Wings of Liberty according to the devs is Breakout, Safe Haven, and Belly of the Beast.

Of course since they've also stated that the players choices will always be respected Hanson won't be showing up anymore in an of the games. Kind of hard to do that when you die in the twitter campaign leading up to Heart of the Swarm

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 12, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The gameplay and units in the SC2 singleplayer campaign are wonderful. Everything else is terrible.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

How quickly we forget her using Razagal to puppet the entire protoss race for the better part of 2 years.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Draenei thing is one of those "I said he was corrupted by demons, but not which demons" things combined with unreliable narrator. It's still a believable plotline it's just confusing as to what actually happened.

The Kerrigan thing is so amazingly stupid and the only reason the Overmind's plan works at all is because about fifteen different contrivances all just happen to fall together over this game and the next.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neruz posted:

Except that no he totally said it was the Eredar who corrupted Sargeras; its right there in the manual. He just outright forgot and he's even admitted it.

Well still, it's not a plan that requires about 5 different factions that have no idea about the greater overarching plan all doing the correct things at the correct time. With a some amount of meddling from Zeratul to be sure but I'm pretty sure Mengsk, Nova, and Valerian didn't have their fairy god-protoss telling them what to do.

Though Metzen saying "I Forgot, sorry" is a miracle in and of itself.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neruz posted:

Yeah, Terrans evolved naturally and remember they all got tinkered with by a mad scientist as well and as a result are unstable as all hell, he's used to working with nice clean Zerg genetics which have been carefully honed and trimmed of extraneous uselessness over the ages.

His comments on Abominations are hilarious because he knows they're hideously inefficient he just doesn't want to waste time on making them better.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cuthroat, the sooner we get Tech Reactors the happier everyone will be.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Thralls magical princess wedding was the loving stupidest thing and it came out of nowhere.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I doubt it on the simple reason that I can't see Blizzard killing one of their two female characters who get any kind of story prominence. Blizzard in general has an atrocious record when it comes to female characters and doubly so when it comes to their outfits and character design, but I don't think they'll kill one of the only two female characters in WoW who casual players probably know.

According to her book she almost did.

But on the other hand we have Sylvannus, who is mustache twirlingly evil what with her human farms and the Rape of Gilneas. But everyone is obnoxiously blind to that fact simply because otherwise the horde would lose a player race.

VVV The fact that she's and Kalec are an item now probably helps.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 16, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"I love it when a plan comes together" is an easter egg you get when you exceed the necessary zerg kills by a bunch.

And I really hate Selendis' line in this mission.

"If only we had known how important Kerrigan was!" Sounds like something you'd get out of a bad fanfic, or one of the early Wesley centric episodes of TNG.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

he would have created Probe-Voltron and defeated the Hybrids.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Feinne posted:

The Overmind's plan as it originally was set up was 100% pointless and impossible, only a set of amazing coincidences manages to unfuck it.

I really wish this was touched on more in HOTS but without the intervention of Raynor and Zeratul and what happens in the next game his plan never would have worked.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The developers are quoted as saying that it came down to a dichotomy of "staying true to the existing lore" or "Advancing Kerrigan's Story" and they went with the latter.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neruz posted:

No Amon left behind a bunch of lieutenants, Duran was one and another shows up in HotS.

Uhh.. no.

You've got it backwards.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Mission: Engine of Destruction

Research: Science Vessel

Upgrade: Shaped Blast

Why not.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Predators used to be a multiplayer unit too, but they were removed because they were basically good against zerglings and only zerglings in a world where hellions exist.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I remember Multiplayer alone was in testing for 2 or 3 years before release.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I'm fond of a mech heavy strategy in the WoL campaign, so I usually opt for science vessels. They're very handy for some upcoming missions.

Never really got the hang of Ravens in the campaign.

There's one mission later on that's basically purpose built for "you should have science vessels by now". Without it it's a slog involving numerous trips back to the SCV pit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Do you really want your mind blown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMkRWwYyWd0

This is Chris Metzen.

So Metzen is the soulless construct set there by more powerful beings that decides whether the world that you've invested so much time in lives or dies?

Sounds about right.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

it's more that swarm queens don't need to inject larvae, Hatcheries can go up to 7 larvae naturally and generate them as fast as a fully microed hatchery with queens.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh what I would give for Corpsers in multiplayer.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neruz posted:

Aren't you required to build at least six lings to meet an objective and continue the mission?

Yes but if you actually progress with the mission using drones to attack instead of zerglings there's special dialogue.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Starcraft 2 is technically always online so no, not really.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Just build 14 tempests and slowly move across the map spreading death and destruction! It's so easy!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, one of the ideas that they thankfully scrapped was them forcing you to use your real life name for any and all battle.net communications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SC2 has the ability to grant control to your allies in multiplayer maps.

• Locked thread